DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-15-14, 01:35 PM   #1
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best Online Backup?

I am currently trying to use Carbonite but it has been really disappointing. Took months for the original backup to complete and now I have to reinstall it ever other week or so or it takes over my cpu and stalls out my Mac.

Price, Mac compatibility and unlimited backup are key features I am looking for. What is DVD Talk using?
Old 05-15-14, 02:26 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Best Online Backup?

Mac compatibility? I know it's not an online backup, but I love my Time Capsule.

For my iTunes library, I spend $25 a year for iTunes Match. The remainder of my stuff (documents and photos) I've thrown on Google Drive.
Old 05-15-14, 04:54 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

I use Crashplan+ on Windows, but they have a Mac client. It's unlimited storage, and they claim not to throttle upload speeds, like Carbonite might do:
http://www.code42.com/crashplan/

How much data are you backing up? If it's 100's of GB or in the TB range, you'll probably want to look at their seeded backup option, which will backup up to 1TB of data on an external drive that's shipped back to them. Otherwise, your upload speed will be limited by your broadband service's speed:
http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/.../Seeded_Backup

You can also throttle CPU usage, so it never takes over the CPU:
http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/...tarted/General

You can also limit the upload speed, if you don't want to using your full network speed, which may slow down other internet usage:
http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/...guring/Network
http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/...Up_Your_Backup
Old 05-15-14, 11:56 PM   #4
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
Mac compatibility? I know it's not an online backup, but I love my Time Capsule.

For my iTunes library, I spend $25 a year for iTunes Match. The remainder of my stuff (documents and photos) I've thrown on Google Drive.
I also do Time Capsule but all it would take is a fire, tornado or a tech loving burglar and everything would be gone.
Old 05-15-14, 11:59 PM   #5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
I use Crashplan+ on Windows, but they have a Mac client. It's unlimited storage, and they claim not to throttle upload speeds, like Carbonite might do:
http://www.code42.com/crashplan/

How much data are you backing up? If it's 100's of GB or in the TB range, you'll probably want to look at their seeded backup option, which will backup up to 1TB of data on an external drive that's shipped back to them. Otherwise, your upload speed will be limited by your broadband service's speed:
http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/.../Seeded_Backup

You can also throttle CPU usage, so it never takes over the CPU:
http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/...tarted/General

You can also limit the upload speed, if you don't want to using your full network speed, which may slow down other internet usage:
http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/...guring/Network
http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/...Up_Your_Backup
$44 a year isn't bad, maybe..
Old 05-16-14, 11:10 AM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a crashplan user and I don't have a problem with it other than the extremely slow upload speeds. Granted I was backing up close to 10TB but it took months.
Old 05-16-14, 12:16 PM   #7
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use Crashplan+ for 4 macs in my house (i have the family plan). Ive used it for a few years now. Had to download a bunch of home video data before (after a hard disk failure) and it was quick and easy
Old 05-16-14, 12:24 PM   #8
Premium Member

I also use CrashPlan. It took a very long time for the initial transfer (I let it run in off hours overnight), but I have no real complaints, it's been good for me.
Old 05-16-14, 03:44 PM   #9
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like CrashPlan too. We use it for my wife's PC.
2008 Stanley Cup Champions, Detroit Red Wings
2008 NBA Champions, Boston Celtics
Old 02-11-15, 10:22 PM   #10
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Took the forum's advice and just started Crashplan. I am already liking it better than Carbonite (except for the name, Carbonite has a way better name).
Old 02-12-15, 05:16 PM   #11
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another satisfied user of Crashplan here. One thing I have come to value about them is that the couple of times when I have edited and saved a file and then a month later decided that I wanted the original version back or a couple of times when I have deleted a file and not realized it until a month later. You can actually go in and restore deleted files and also the versions of files as far back as 90 days previous to today (I think it's 90 days). It's amazing and wonderful.
Old 02-12-15, 09:23 PM   #12
Time Lord

I also use Crashplan. I think it took a little over a week to transfer about 1.5 TB up? I purposefully limited the bandwidth though so I could still use my internet for other things.
Old 02-24-15, 08:43 AM   #13

i also use crashplan+ very good.
Old 08-22-17, 09:55 PM   #14
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Everything was going great until CrashPlan decided to leave the consumer market:
Quote:
CrashPlanŽ for Home Transition Information

Hello,

Thank you for being a CrashPlanŽ for Home customer. We’re honored that you’ve trusted us to protect your data.

It’s because of this trust that we want you to know that we have shifted our business strategy to focus on the enterprise and small business segments. This means that over the next 14 months, we will be transitioning out of the consumer market.

Your current subscription, which expires on 05/12/2019, extends past the CrashPlan for Home sunset date of October 22, 2018. However, please know that we will continue to protect your data through the entire life of your subscription.

What this means
We will honor all CrashPlan for Home subscriptions, including yours, which extend beyond the sunset date of October 22, 2018.
We will automatically upgrade your account to CrashPlan for Small Business after that date at no additional cost to you.
Your devices and your backup will be automatically migrated over to the CrashPlan for Small Business product for the remainder of your subscription, and this requires no action on your part. We will email more specific details to you before this upgrade occurs.
After the free upgrade and when your prepaid subscription term eventually expires, you may choose to renew on the CrashPlan for Small Business product. If you do, you will then be eligible for a 75% discount off the regular price, for the next 12 consecutive months.
Another option: Exclusive Discount with Carbonite

If you’d prefer to migrate to an alternative backup solution, we’ve selected Carbonite as our exclusive transition partner for consumer users. Like CrashPlan, Carbonite provides automatic and continuous backup for all of your important files. Carbonite is also recognized for its complimentary award-winning customer support. Carbonite is offering a 50% discount on their Home and Core plans, exclusively for CrashPlan for Home users and you are eligible for these discounts. The Carbonite and CrashPlan for Home support teams are aligned to make your transition to Carbonite quick and easy. This offer is good until October 22, 2019.

Get Carbonite with exclusive offer!

Please note that if you choose to move to another backup provider, there are no refunds for your CrashPlan for Home subscription.

Again, there is no action required on your part to maintain your subscription all the way through your expiration date. However, if you wish, you may also choose to take advantage of the exclusive Carbonite offer. If you have any additional questions, please refer to our FAQ page. And thank you, again, for being a CrashPlan for Home customer.

Sincerely,

Joe Payne
Chief Executive Officer, President and CEO of Code42
damn
Old 08-22-17, 10:13 PM   #15
DVD Talk Hero

Also being discussed here:

Best way to back up data?
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016