DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-05-14, 07:18 PM   #76
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: iPhone 6

It looks like the unveiling will happen on September 9th. According to re/code, apple has scheduled a big media event on that date, presumably at the Moscone Center, but has not yet made an official announcement of the details.

Apple SVP Eddy Cue described the company’s fall product pipeline as the best he’d seen in his 25 years at Apple. We'll see how much of that pipeline will be announced on the 9th.
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
My DVDs
Old 08-11-14, 12:06 AM   #77
DVD Talk Legend

I'm ready. My iPhone 5 battery is toast. It's so bad I might due a warranty exchange even though we are close to release. What is it $50 deductible?

Home Theater Build
Old 08-11-14, 01:01 AM   #78
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I'm ready. My iPhone 5 battery is toast. It's so bad I might due a warranty exchange even though we are close to release. What is it $50 deductible?
If your AppleCare+ plan is still active, then yes.
Old 08-11-14, 07:49 AM   #79
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Other Self View Post
If your AppleCare+ plan is still active, then yes.

Should be covered by original warranty if applicable or
Should be free with Apple care plus. Otherwise, it is $79

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4...are-for-iphone

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone...battery-power/
Old 08-11-14, 08:38 AM   #80
DVD Talk Legend

Oh cool. I'll work on a warranty exchange (yes have AppleCare+).

My daughter actually lost her iPhone 5 and has been using my old iPhone 4. If i do an Apple exchange on mine, I can give her basically a my new 5 once my 6 comes in. Then maybe get her a 6 for Christmas. Tho she doesn't really care about the newest, latest, etc. so the 5 might do her well for a while.

Home Theater Build
Old 08-11-14, 08:51 AM   #81
DVD Talk Legend

I said the same before the 5 was released but I think my current phone works perfect for my needs. Before the 5, I have the 4, but then I upgraded to the latest iOS at the time and magically my phone became too slow.

Right now I have zero issues with my iphone 5. Works perfect. We will see.
Old 08-17-14, 02:17 AM   #82

I am looking forward to the 4.7" display. I am tired of the screen on my iPhone 5.

I also have too much junk in my wallet, so I am looking forward to NFC. Almost all bank cards, and loyalty discount cards here in Singapore, are NFC, including my EZ Pass card. I want to put them into my phone, so I do not have to carry so much in my wallet.

My Karma just ran over your Dogma!
Old 08-23-14, 06:28 AM   #83
DVD Talk Legend

Apple did replace the battery on my 5 for free under Apple care plus. I didn't know they did in-store battery replacement.

Their test showed my battery had less than 40% capacity available.

Pleased. No longer need to carry an external booster. Still looking forward to a 6.

Home Theater Build
Old 08-23-14, 07:17 AM   #84
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Apple did replace the battery on my 5 for free under Apple care plus. I didn't know they did in-store battery replacement.

Their test showed my battery had less than 40% capacity available.

Pleased. No longer need to carry an external booster. Still looking forward to a 6.
I believe that it has to fall under the 50% mark to be replaced under ac+
Old 08-23-14, 02:21 PM   #85
DVD Talk Legend

Well I walked in at 90%. Doing a backup in store that took less than 5 min dropped my battery to 30%. Then when the tech asked how bad it was I showed him that as I checked mail it would drop as we watched the meter. Then he did the little diagnostic thing. All told, in and out in 30 min.

Home Theater Build
Old 08-23-14, 03:03 PM   #86
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Well I walked in at 90%. Doing a backup in store that took less than 5 min dropped my battery to 30%. Then when the tech asked how bad it was I showed him that as I checked mail it would drop as we watched the meter. Then he did the little diagnostic thing. All told, in and out in 30 min.
must be nice. i rolled into the nearby store at 12:30, which was my appointment time. oh, it's a 3 hour wait to swap the battery. the guy who walked in off the street was also quoted 3 hour wait time. so what the fuck is the point of an appointment if it does me no good? at this point, i may just say fuck it and not waste time doing this, since she'll be trading it in for a 6 soon.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 08-24-14, 03:04 AM   #87
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
must be nice. i rolled into the nearby store at 12:30, which was my appointment time. oh, it's a 3 hour wait to swap the battery. the guy who walked in off the street was also quoted 3 hour wait time. so what the fuck is the point of an appointment if it does me no good? at this point, i may just say fuck it and not waste time doing this, since she'll be trading it in for a 6 soon.
I know I was lucky. I did it spur of the moment. On the way to a meeting.

Home Theater Build
Old 08-29-14, 01:01 AM   #88
DVD Talk Limited Edition

9/9/2014 confirmed in Apple invite:

The latest credible rumors are that the new iPhone will include NFC (John Gruber), and that Apple will, in fact, unveil the long-rumored iWatch (or iTime, or iWearable) device (Bloomberg).
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
My DVDs
Old 08-29-14, 12:40 PM   #89
DVD Talk Legend

Rumor also is that the iWatch will be revealed, but won't actually come out until 2015.
Old 08-29-14, 12:52 PM   #90
DVD Talk Legend

I dropped my phone for the first time in almost 2 years of owning it on Wednesday and the screen shattered. I went to the Apple store after class that night to get a new one but they couldn't see me and the tech appointments were booked until Saturday night. So, I need to go back to the mall then and get a replacement -- only to trade it in in two weeks.
Old 08-29-14, 01:16 PM   #91
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Apple inventing adopting NFC will be good for the entire industry, IMO. My bank already has an Android app to use NFC to pay for stuff directly (but only for very specific phones). I'm sure they, and many others, will have an iOS app within the first month of the phone's release. Everyone wins.
Old 08-29-14, 02:09 PM   #92
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I've never been seen than 10 minutes later than my actual appointment at an Apple Store. That's worth a complaint or two I think.

I'll be disappointed if I can't get an iWatch in 2014. When my iPhone 5 was having that problem with the unlock button not working properly, they swapped it for a 5s for only like $100 bucks. I wanted that anyway, so now I'm on the "s" upgrade path instead of the base numbers. Ah well, let them get the kinks out.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 08-29-14, 02:55 PM   #93

NFC is everywhere here in Asia. So few phones support it that my bank now offers an mobile NET equivalent the call "PayLah". In this part of the suffix "Lah" is used to suggest an immediate action. It translates to "Pay Now" implying speed and convenience.

I think Apple will push NFC as though they invented it. It will be somewhat like the old Sprint commercials marketed digital service as though nobody else had it.

The entire industry will copy it. Even the cheapest phones will offer it by 2016.

I think that I know the reason for the apple logo cutout on the back of the iPhone 6. I am guessing it will light or turn blue when NFC is used. It makes the function dramatic as though the function requires the light to work.

I am looking forward.

The phone will be shown off on 9-9, but will not be available in Singapore for about two or there weeks after that. Singaporeans are gadget crazy. I expect that the first Western style fist fights will result. There were arrests here when the Hello Kitty dolls were last updated. I am glad i will be on holiday in the USA when that happens.

The Singapore government can close the store if that happens. They do not tolerate nonsense here. They are recently very "riot aware".

I will buy an IPhone 6 in November when it is old news and ios 8.1 or 8.2 is out to fix all the bugs that have yet to be discovered in ios 8.

I learned my lesson on the Galaxy Note I. I bought it in Germany only a week after it was out. The phone was rushed. It had so many bugs that it was still almost unusable months later. I got so frustrated eventually that I switched to apple.

Last edited by SeekingZen; 08-29-14 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-29-14, 03:03 PM   #94

NFC is everywhere here in Asia. So few phones support it that my bank now offers an mobile NET equivalent the call "PayLah". In this part of the suffix "Lah" is used to suggest an immediate action. It translates to "Pay Now" implying speed and convenience.

I think Apple will push NFC as though they invented it. It will be somewhat like the old Sprint commercials were they marketed digital service as though nobody else had it.

The entire industry will copy it. Even the cheapest phones will offer it by 2016.

I think that I know the reason for the apple logo cutout on the back of the iPhone 6. I am guessing it will light or turn blue when NFC is used. It makes the function dramatic as though the function requires the light to work.

I am looking forward.

The phone will be shown off on 9-9, but will not be available in Singapore for about two or there weeks after that. Singaporeans are gadget crazy. I expect that the first Western style fist fights will result. There were arrests here when the Hello Kitty dolls were last updated. I am glad i will be on holiday in the USA when that happens.

I will buy an IPhone 6 in November when it is old news and ios 8.1 or 8.2 is out to fix all the bugs that have yet to be discovered.

Old 08-30-14, 12:58 PM   #95
DVD Talk Legend

I'm due for a new phone soon and I'm thinking I'll go with an iPhone. I'm leaning towards just getting the 5S since I'm sure it'll be cheaper, but I'm curious what the iPhone 6 will bring to the table.
Old 08-31-14, 09:24 AM   #96
Time Lord

I love the 5S, but if even half of these iPhone 6 rumors are true, I would wait it out for that one.
Old 08-31-14, 09:54 AM   #97
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still "rocking" an iPhone 4 so I'll definitely be upgrading to the newer models in September. I hope the rumours of the 4"7 and 5"5 models are true.
Old 08-31-14, 02:50 PM   #98
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
I'm still "rocking" an iPhone 4 so I'll definitely be upgrading to the newer models in September. I hope the rumours of the 4"7 and 5"5 models are true.
Same here on all counts.
Old 08-31-14, 02:53 PM   #99
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
I hope the rumours of the 4"7 and 5"5 models are true.
The last thing I read made it sound that if the "iPhablet" were to come out, it wouldn't be at the same time as the 4.7" iPhone 6. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 08-31-14, 04:38 PM   #100
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know if I'd want a phone that 5.5" to be honest. I have a Nokia Lumia Windows Phone currently which is 4.5" and that seems about the right size for me. I'd be fine with the 4.7" iPhone if that's being offered.