Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-08-13, 10:19 AM   #1
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

What happened to Google Navigation and why?

New Google maps/navigation is a lot less user friendly--There are a lot more steps involved to get going and many are more than a little cumbersome.

When you want to use it it makes you enter 'starting point' --Really?
-No more traffic layers
-no more gas station layers etc.

Why? Are they going to come out with a different app with what we're used to and charge for it?
Old 08-08-13, 11:03 AM   #2
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: What happened to Google Navigation and why?

Um, am I missing something? You always have the option to set your starting point where you currently are on maps. I don't see that as changed.

There are traffic layers still. On my android phone, in the bottom left corner of the screen, I swipe into the map and it gives me the layers I can choose, traffic being one of them. Now this is in maps, not navigation, IIRC.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 08-08-13, 11:05 AM   #3
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, navigation. I use this feature all the time, even commuting over an hour a day to see traffic delays etc.
Old 08-08-13, 11:05 AM   #4
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

I don't have to enter a starting point... I can just search for whatever and go from where I am.

The traffic layer thing bothers me; it's in the normal Maps view, but I don't see a quick way to see it from the Navigation portion.

VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL
Old 08-08-13, 11:19 AM   #5
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

Check it out.

First step -- enter WHERE you want to go from this short list or type it out, not as easy as the last one where you could do contacts with a handy swipe or favorite places.

ANNOYING SECOND STEP
here's the layout--do you like this map view of the whole trip? is it ok? no alternate route buttons just click nav now

it crashes a lot but then the ONLY options are there in the last pic. what gives google?
Old 08-08-13, 11:21 AM   #6
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

This article says that traffic is on by default in Navigation in the new Google Maps:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07...ial-changelog/
Quote:
Navigation looks different (read: a lot better), no longer feels like it's a "separate" app outside of Maps, and has a lot of new stuff going on. On the fly notifications about traffic incidents that allow you to route around heavy congestion is one of the biggies, though we'll have to see how reliable / useful that ends up being in practice...

Let's look at what's gone in terms of the turn-by-turn navigation experience.
  • Street view preview: Gone.
  • Route and alternates: Gone. You have to go back to the directions page in Maps to select a new route (easy enough - just tap the "x"), and those routes' times and traffic details aren't updated based on your present position, as far as we can tell. Hopefully that gets fixed.
  • Layers menu: Gone. Replaced by satellite view toggle, and traffic is displayed by default (gas stations, ATMs, restaurants etc. are all gone).
  • Other options: Screen dimming is gone (presumably this is now automatic), shortcuts to search, set destination, and help are gone as well.
  • On-screen zoom in / out buttons: Gone.
What's been added? Well, there's a convenient little "x" in bottom left corner that lets you exit navigation immediately and go back to the directions / routing view in Maps.
Old 08-08-13, 11:25 AM   #7
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

yeah that handy self destruct button near the edge of the screen is easy to tap on accident when your hands are anywhere near it.
Old 08-08-13, 11:25 AM   #8
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

The alternate route thing not being easily accessible and viewable bugs me too. Although I don't have any crashes.

Old 08-08-13, 11:27 AM   #9
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Ah I see, to see the traffic you need to go to Route Preview.

Old 08-08-13, 01:12 PM   #10
Supermallet
Time Lord

Use Waze. It's not perfect but at this point it's more useful. And Google just bought it, so it will probably get integrated into the official app at some point, and you might as well get used to it now.
Old 08-08-13, 01:18 PM   #11
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks I was hoping someone had a good alternate
Old 08-08-13, 01:33 PM   #12
Dan
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apple Maps hasn't caught up yet?
Old 08-08-13, 01:46 PM   #13
Unclejosh

I use Telenav. Best one I have used.
Old 08-08-13, 08:11 PM   #14
mugwump
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was using the new Google Nav this past weekend and couldn't for the life of me get Traffic to show up. I finally had to force close the app, restart, and then it finally started working -- well after we had passed the point of no return for a major traffic jam.

I'm less than thrilled with the new Google Maps as a whole and reverted to the old version in a different browser for trip planning. Progress, eh?
Old 08-09-13, 02:34 AM   #15
belboz
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It took me a while to get used to it, but the new maps app is way better than the old one. Navigation is now much better integrated.

If you know the directions already and just want traffic conditions, Waze is probably the better choice. Their crowd sourcing of traffic information seems to provide more up to date information.

For everything else, though, I use google maps. If you want to navigate to one of your contacts, start by looking up that contact. If you have an address for them, there should also be a maps button that will let you launch maps and start navigation right away.

When you launch maps, it usually centers the map on your current location; if not, just tap the little cross hairs button on the bottom right. At the top, there's a search bar with two buttons, a forked arrow button and a person button.

The forked arrow button brings up the first screen in Save Ferris' post. I'm not sure what that's for as I never use it. The person button brings up personal shortcuts to your home/work locations, saved locations (bookmarks), and recently searched/accessed locations. Note that with sync enabled, the recently searched locations includes any searches you've done on other devices. It's kind of nice when you look up a place on your desktop and then when you get in your car and are ready to go, you can bring it up quickly on your phone from that shortcut.

If you want to search for a place or just want to enter an address, then just type it into the search bar. Maps will pop up the little teardrop icons on the map for results from your search or the address you typed in. Just tap the teardrop you want to go to, maps will bring up a bar at the bottom with the name of the location and a little car icon with an estimate of how long it'll take to get there.

If you tap the name of the location on that bar, it'll give you more info including reviews (if it's a business) and access to street view for that place. That's also where you can add that location to your saved places. If you want to just start navigation using the default route, then long press the little car button. If you want to look at alternate routes or change to public transportation/biking/walking routes, then just tap the little car button.

In brief, to start navigation: 1) launch maps, 2) find your location (by search or by shortcut), 3) long press the little car button.

As for the traffic layer issues and crashing problems that others mention, I haven't experienced them. I'm using vanilla android 4.3 on a nexus 4 which probably helps with the stability of the system.
Old 08-09-13, 05:12 AM   #16
lisadoris
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by belboz View Post
For everything else, though, I use google maps. If you want to navigate to one of your contacts, start by looking up that contact. If you have an address for them, there should also be a maps button that will let you launch maps and start navigation right away.
I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to access my contacts and saved places in the new version (I uninstalled the update and went back to the old version). Is there a button for contacts/favorite places?
Old 08-09-13, 01:31 PM   #17
belboz
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisadoris View Post
I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to access my contacts and saved places in the new version (I uninstalled the update and went back to the old version). Is there a button for contacts/favorite places?
I don't remember exactly how it was in the old maps app. When I wanted to navigate to an address stored in my contacts, I usually launched maps from the contact info screen. That is, I looked up the contact from the dialer and brought up their address. When you tap the address, it launches maps with that address as the destination.

I can't find a way to browse contacts from within maps. However, results from your contacts are included within searches that you do in maps. So if start typing the name of the contact in the search bar, you should see that contact appear in the suggestions that pop up.

As for saved places, you can access them by tapping the little person icon next to the search bar. That brings up shortcuts to your home/work, saved places, and recently searched places.
Old 08-09-13, 01:33 PM   #18
Save Ferris
DVD Talk Legend

for some reason it lists my 'work' as a few street numbers down. Any way to change?
Old 08-09-13, 02:31 PM   #19
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
for some reason it lists my 'work' as a few street numbers down. Any way to change?
On the slide out menu, go to Settings and Edit home or work.

Old 08-10-13, 07:43 PM   #20
mugwump
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Had another issue trying to use Google Nav today on a stock 4.3 Nexus 4. For starters I found it next to impossible to read street names on the map as the font is now much finer and the color scheme really blends things together. I had to pop the phone out of its charger/holder and hold it up to my face to even begin to make any sense of it. Switched to Waze and had no problems at all. I guess now I'll wait for Google to screw that up too.
Old 08-12-13, 09:14 AM   #21
dvdjunkie32
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Pisses me off that they had to mess around with Navigation which is best feature of the phone. It was simple to use, and worked great. Don't fix it if it ain't broken! Before, I could simply map the navigation app icon to my home screen and quickly access it and get directions. I don't like Waze either because it drains the battery fast and is a pain in the ass to exit the program.

I ended up uninstalling the maps update, and it put back the navigation app on my screen.
Old 08-12-13, 12:51 PM   #22
Sigh

What I want to know is, where the fuck are the gas stations?
Old 08-12-13, 02:02 PM   #23
spainlinx0
DVD Talk Legend

I like the look of it, but functionally I'm not a fan. It actually seems to drain a lot more battery as well. My phones dies even plugged in when using it.
Old 08-12-13, 02:36 PM   #24
cungar
DVD Talk Legend

I lost faith in Google navigation when it told me to go north on the 101 to get to LA when I was leaving Monterey
Old 08-21-13, 12:44 AM   #25
whotony
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not a fan either. I feel like I need to hit the nav arrow pointer at least twice to start the map.

They also removed the layers section and the tracking option fir friends and family and moved it to Google +.

Sponsored Links