DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-25-16, 08:49 PM   #976
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Apple Thread

Just ordered a new Mac Mini - it's the basic 500GB model, with 8GB and the Apple Care plan. $600 total - I have a friend that works for Apple, so he got me the friends and family discount.

I'll probably be getting a new MacBook in a month or two. Time flies and my shit is old.
Old 10-27-16, 06:04 PM   #977
DVD Talk Godfather

Apple's expansion port decision making is weird to me. iPhone 7 gets rid of the headphone jack and pushes lightning and/or bluetooth earbuds, but the headphone jack still exists on the new MacBook.

And then the new MacBook ditches standard USB ports so you technically couldn't even connect an iPhone to it anymore without another adapter, not to mention other standards like versions of DisplayPort or HDMI. And they ditch their MagSafe power connector? Charging via USB-C cable doesn't seem nearly as nice and stable.

Sounds like adapter/dongle hell if you're all in on the latest Apple hardware. Weird stuff.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 10-27-16, 08:42 PM   #978
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Apple's expansion port decision making is weird to me. iPhone 7 gets rid of the headphone jack and pushes lightning and/or bluetooth earbuds, but the headphone jack still exists on the new MacBook.
The reasons I heard for removing the headphone jack on the iPhone 7 was because of thickness and for waterproofing. The new Macbook isn't as thin as the iPhone 7, nor is it waterproof.

Quote:
And then the new MacBook ditches standard USB ports so you technically couldn't even connect an iPhone to it anymore without another adapter...
Technically, you don't need an adapter, since Apple sells a USB-C to Lightning cable:
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK...ning-cable-1-m

However, the move to USB-C is industry-wide, Apple is just leading the charge. Also, USB-C is thinner than most other ports, but not quite as thin as Lightning.
Old 10-27-16, 09:22 PM   #979
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
The reasons I heard for removing the headphone jack on the iPhone 7 was because of thickness and for waterproofing. The new Macbook isn't as thin as the iPhone 7, nor is it waterproof.
And courage. I still think its a disconnect from the messaging Apple pushed with the iPhone 7.

Quote:
Technically, you don't need an adapter, since Apple sells a USB-C to Lightning cable:
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK...ning-cable-1-m

However, the move to USB-C is industry-wide, Apple is just leading the charge. Also, USB-C is thinner than most other ports, but not quite as thin as Lightning.
True, I should have also said spending money on additional accessories and cables in addition to buying adapters.

I like USB-C port adoption as a Nexus 5X and Pixel XL owner and being some of the first phones to switch to the new standard, so i'm well aware of the push as well as the pain in change. But I also don't think USB-A is going away that quickly and personally dislike the push to make everything thinner, just like with phones, with what I feel is more style over functionality.

Engadget mentioned the same disconnect with their hardware. It's not that big of a deal, I just would have imagined more alignment with their major products.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/27/...-and-iphone-7/

Last edited by fumanstan; 10-27-16 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-27-16, 09:41 PM   #980
DVD Talk Godfather

Fun comment I noticed elsewhere, but it would have been neat if iPhone moved to USB-C, since I also carry an iPhone for work and it would make my cable life easier

Old 10-28-16, 10:03 AM   #981
DVD Talk Hero

You can't even use the iPhone 7 earphones on the MacBook. And I don't think a dongle exists from lightning to USB c or headphone jack. So you either have to use regular headphones on the MacBook and the dongle on the iPhone or have two headphones one for MacBook, one for iPhone. But personally I would lose the dongle easily so that option is out for me.

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 10-28-16 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-28-16, 10:28 AM   #982
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
You can't even use the iPhone 7 earphones on the MacBook. And I don't think a dongle exists from lightning to USB c or headphone jack. So you either have to use regular headphones on the MacBook and the dongle on the iPhone or have two headphones one for MacBook, one for iPhone. But personally I would lose the dongle easily so that option is out for me.
Or, you could get wireless headphones, which should work on both without wires. Obviously, Apple's delayed Airpods would likely work best.
Old 11-09-16, 09:40 PM   #983
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 11-21-16, 12:43 PM   #984
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks like Apple might have stopped making routers.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/21/...-wifi-routers/

Old 11-21-16, 02:44 PM   #985
DVD Talk Legend

^ That's a bummer. I have a Timecapsule and run a cable to the PS4, because I have spotty wifi when it comes to gaming. Also, when I first got my Apple desktop way back when - I must have gone through 2-3 different (generic) routers from Best Buy and none would give me a connection let alone surf the web. I invested in a Timecapsule and it worked instantly and I've been using it ever since.
Old 11-21-16, 09:21 PM   #986

Quote:
Looks like Apple might have stopped making routers.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/21/...-wifi-routers/
Short of dumping the MacPro (which hasn't happened - yet), this is the most distressing thing Apple has (allegedly) ever done. I have a Time Capsule, which is our WiFi, backup destination for my MacBook Pro Time Machine, feeds 3 ethernet devices; and its USB port is connected to our house's laser printer. I absolutely don't know of a third party device that can do all of the above.

And our Airport Express feeds music to our bedroom's receiver.

And look at what 3rd party substitutes look like: http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/...-for-mac-users

my wife would be beyond furious if I replaced the elegant Time Capsule with one of these...

Come on, Apple, say it ain't so!

Last edited by Ted Todorov; 11-22-16 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-22-16, 01:18 AM   #987
DVD Talk Legend

Gonna have to pick up one of the newer ones before they're gone for good.
Old 01-12-17, 11:35 AM   #988
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone else run into an issue, when clicking an Instagram link in their SMS, it quickly opens Instagram, but then immediately opens Safari to show the link? Any idea why this would be happening or how to fix it?
Old 01-13-17, 11:03 PM   #989
DVD Talk Legend

No new iPhone this spring? No iPhone SE 2?
Old 01-14-17, 02:20 PM   #990
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
No new iPhone this spring? No iPhone SE 2?
I doubt it. They'll likely want to get all iPhones on the same schedule, so the next iPhone SE will launch with the iPhone 7S, or whatever it's called.
Old 02-19-17, 06:58 AM   #991
DVD Talk Hero

So the MacBook Air is $750 at Best Buy through tomorrow. I'm not real familiar with the Apple OS, but I've always wanted to try a Mac. I think it'd be helpful for work and school while relaxing on the couch.

Questions:

The MacBook Pro is $999. Better option? Pros and cons?

Will this machine make me forget about Windows like my friends claim?

Are these even good deals? Are they easy to use?
Old 02-19-17, 07:05 AM   #992

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
So the MacBook Air is $750 at Best Buy through tomorrow. I'm not real familiar with the Apple OS, but I've always wanted to try a Mac. I think it'd be helpful for work and school while relaxing on the couch.

Questions:

The MacBook Pro is $999. Better option? Pros and cons?

Will this machine make me forget about Windows like my friends claim?

Are these even good deals? Are they easy to use?
The MacBook Pro has a Retina display (the Air does not): much higher resolution, much better for photos, videos - editing or viewing. The Air is also fairly ancient in terms of CPU/GPU - is the Pro in question the newest, late 2016 one? If it is, it also just as light/thin as an Air.
Old 02-19-17, 08:03 AM   #993
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post
The MacBook Pro has a Retina display (the Air does not): much higher resolution, much better for photos, videos - editing or viewing. The Air is also fairly ancient in terms of CPU/GPU - is the Pro in question the newest, late 2016 one? If it is, it also just as light/thin as an Air.
I just bought the 2016 version from BB for $1250.

The one for $999 is the 2015 model. I think you can't go wrong with either the older Pro or the Air.
Old 02-19-17, 06:11 PM   #994
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you go Mac, I would actually suggest an older model, such as the 2015 one. The newest models have gone to diminishing returns, quite literally, and are quite a ripoff. considering the "newer" components might only improve speed by ~5%, if that, for a 30-40% increase in cost. Much of this is due to intertia from Intel, and its Kabylake processors, which are very poor, considering what they *should* have been. Intel's on its third generation of 14nm processors, and even the upcoming 8th Gen i7, ("Coffeelake") to be released this year, will still use a 14nm CPU die, at first. Intel could have been using the 10nm process for years now, if only they hadn't been resting on their laurels...

I'm a Windows guy, but if I was to buy a Mac, I'd go for that $999 Macbook Pro, bar none. The display improvement would be worth it alone, clinch the deal for sure. I'd be fairly happy at that price, but still would feel limited by Apple's locked down system architecture and second-guessing what I want to do. But even this has improved with the recent OS revisions, so I could get used to it...
Old 02-19-17, 10:07 PM   #995
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
If you go Mac, I would actually suggest an older model, such as the 2015 one. The newest models have gone to diminishing returns, quite literally, and are quite a ripoff. considering the "newer" components might only improve speed by ~5%, if that, for a 30-40% increase in cost. Much of this is due to intertia from Intel, and its Kabylake processors, which are very poor, considering what they *should* have been. Intel's on its third generation of 14nm processors, and even the upcoming 8th Gen i7, ("Coffeelake") to be released this year, will still use a 14nm CPU die, at first. Intel could have been using the 10nm process for years now, if only they hadn't been resting on their laurels...

I'm a Windows guy, but if I was to buy a Mac, I'd go for that $999 Macbook Pro, bar none. The display improvement would be worth it alone, clinch the deal for sure. I'd be fairly happy at that price, but still would feel limited by Apple's locked down system architecture and second-guessing what I want to do. But even this has improved with the recent OS revisions, so I could get used to it...

Which MacBook Pro for $999? I don't see any at that price. I do see a MacBook Air for $999, though.
Old 02-20-17, 09:45 AM   #996
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Which MacBook Pro for $999? I don't see any at that price. I do see a MacBook Air for $999, though.
I see this one for sale at $999. 2015 13-inch model, 8GB of RAM, 128GB SSD:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ma...?skuId=8532557

On a completely unrelated note, I am having some wi-fi issues with my new 2016 13-inch non touch bar model. Every now and then I will crack open the laptop after leaving it in sleep mode and my network connection will be down. The laptop will still be connected to wi-fi but web pages and apps will not load. The only resolution is to turn off wi-fi and turn it back on.

I have not found been able to find much info on google about this issue, but it seems my laptop imported wi-fi settings from my other iCloud devices (phone, old computers, etc...). I cleared everything out, so hopefully that works.

If not, this thing is going back to Best Buy since I only have a 15 day return window.
Old 02-20-17, 11:23 AM   #997
DVD Talk Legend

^ Ah, gotcha. I was on Apple's website. I forgot about BB, and such.
Old 02-20-17, 11:58 AM   #998
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I can't actually recall buying a MacBook from Apple directly. Best Buy always ends up offering some decent prices at some point and the Genius Bar still ends up providing me the same level of service when needed.
Old 02-20-17, 11:59 AM   #999
DVD Talk Legend

I have a friend that works for them, so I'd be getting a friends and family discount on top of what the sale price would be - on a refurbished MacBook.
Old 02-20-17, 06:45 PM   #1000
DVD Talk Hero

I ended up getting the $1250 Pro. The keyboard isn't as bad as some have said but the lack of USB ports is odd. I'm Elite Plus, so I have a 45 day return window.

Now to figure out this OS.