DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-29-12, 04:52 PM   #76
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: The Apple Thread

^^ I don't like how that screenshot messes up my browser.
Old 11-29-12, 05:11 PM   #77
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^ I put it in spoiler tags now. I hope that helps.
Old 11-29-12, 07:15 PM   #78
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
My first impression: It's prettier... but otherwise just the same. And PING is gone!!! ZOMG!
It's a bit more than just "prettier". The layout is much more efficient and useful, and there are several new features. The Verge has a good hands-on review up.
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
My DVDs
Old 11-29-12, 07:40 PM   #79
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
The layout is much more efficient and useful, and there are several new features.
So... it's... prettier. on the inside and outside. It still felt slow on my work laptop.
Old 11-29-12, 07:53 PM   #80
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A word of warning about iTunes 11.0: the media file management is completely brand new. As such, if you have more than one iOS device, "practice" on the older device in regards to learning how to move media files using iTunes to your iPod/iPhone/iPad.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Old 12-02-12, 03:03 PM   #81
Time Lord

I like a lot of the graphical elements of iTunes 11, but Apple made some bizarre choices. For one thing, now if I click in the iTunes window from a different window, it highlights the back button, and when I hit spacebar, instead of pausing or playing, it moves back a track. Also, while I can sort albums by title, I don't seem to be able to sort albums with multiple artists by the album track number. It arranges them by artist, which isn't what I want.
Old 12-02-12, 09:59 PM   #82
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I like a lot of the graphical elements of iTunes 11, but Apple made some bizarre choices. For one thing, now if I click in the iTunes window from a different window, it highlights the back button, and when I hit spacebar, instead of pausing or playing, it moves back a track. Also, while I can sort albums by title, I don't seem to be able to sort albums with multiple artists by the album track number. It arranges them by artist, which isn't what I want.
Do you have the PC or Mac version? I have the Mac version and I'm not experiencing either of the problems you're having. My space works to play/pause no matter how many times I try switching between windows and my various artists album are all showing by track number. In fact, I can't even find any other way to display them.
Old 12-02-12, 11:04 PM   #83
Time Lord

I'm on a Mac. Weird.

Edit: Okay, if I select view by song, then from there click on sort by album, then it groups various artists albums correctly. But if I click on view by album, it lists it by artist, not track number.
Old 12-03-12, 03:07 AM   #84
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just found the View options. Mine's on "Sort by Artist" and then "Sort by Title". I haven't touched any settings so I presume this is the default.
Old 12-06-12, 12:05 PM   #85
DVD Talk Godfather

iPhone finally coming to T-Mobile next year.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 12-06-12, 12:25 PM   #86
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
iPhone finally coming to T-Mobile next year.
Like running a Lambo with a Kia engine.
Old 12-06-12, 12:26 PM   #87
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Not really?

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 12-06-12, 02:23 PM   #88
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
If you are in a solid tmobile signal 4g area, then it would run just fine for most people. Sure, on tmobiles current 4g, you won't see speeds in excess of 60mbps as I have seen on Verizon, but for the vast majority, that is pointless, other than for bragging rights. In any event, Verizon's 6th gen iPhone can be run on tmobile as is, as it is factory sim unlocked.
Old 12-09-12, 01:25 PM   #89
DVD Talk Hero

Apple has overtaken android as the most sold smartphones in the US, but during this time, the 5 came out, while there was no major android released during this time. The lead is by 1.4%. In the rest of the world, android still has a commanding lead. It will be interesting in the next few months to see what happens.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8AQ0M020121127
Old 12-09-12, 08:54 PM   #90
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

T-Mobile LTE is coming in 2013 and they say it's going to better than everyone else's including Verizon because of their MetroPCS acquisition. Not sure exactly how this works, but they say that through the acquisition, they have more spectrum than anyone else and that somehow allows for faster speeds and larger capacity.

In the meantime, they claim that their flavor of HSPA+ (42 Mpbs) rivals LTE speeds. Real-life tests say they still fall short: http://gigaom.com/2011/11/28/t-mobil...-still-no-lte/
The interesting thing in the article that caught my attention is that HSPA is not inherently slower than LTE and that the main reason for the speed difference is the MIMO antenna, which *can* be supported for HSPA+ on the carrier side to effectively double the 42 Mbps rate.
Old 12-09-12, 11:28 PM   #91
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
In any event, Verizon's 6th gen iPhone can be run on tmobile as is, as it is factory sim unlocked.
On HSPA+, yes. On LTE, well, T-Mobile hasn't announced which bands their using yet.
Old 12-12-12, 01:12 PM   #92
DVD Talk Legend

I got an Apple TV last December (I think it was v2? Whatever was the newest at the time, I believe) for ~$99, I see they're going for over $250 now - simply because they can be jailbroken? What additional functionality is that going to give? Just the ability to stream movie and TV show torrents that are on my computer? I don't really d/l anything like that anymore anyways, so just thinking I should dump mine and replace it with the newest version for $100.

What improvements are there in the newest version (I'm assuming there's more than "it can't be jailbroken" )?
Old 12-12-12, 01:39 PM   #93
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktick View Post
I got an Apple TV last December (I think it was v2? Whatever was the newest at the time, I believe) for ~$99, I see they're going for over $250 now - simply because they can be jailbroken? What additional functionality is that going to give? Just the ability to stream movie and TV show torrents that are on my computer?
There's also streaming from Hulu and a few other sites online available. This article goes into a bit of what a jailbroken Apple TV 2 can do:
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/01...reak-apple-tv/

Quote:
...just thinking I should dump mine and replace it with the newest version for $100.

What improvements are there in the newest version (I'm assuming there's more than "it can't be jailbroken" )?
The Apple TV 3 added 1080p decoding and has better wifi. A review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5687/a...12-mini-review
Old 12-12-12, 02:45 PM   #94
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
On HSPA+, yes. On LTE, well, T-Mobile hasn't announced which bands their using yet.
even if not, hspa+ is fine for most people. the reason i say buy Verizon and use on tmo is because tmo isn't going to offer the iPhone at subsidized pricing - you will have to pay full retail for it. so if you buy on ebay or CL a Verizon iPhone 5 can be had at a discount, compared to paying full retail direct from T-Mobile, assuming that they will not sell at subsidized pricing
Old 12-12-12, 03:31 PM   #95
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
There's also streaming from Hulu and a few other sites online available. This article goes into a bit of what a jailbroken Apple TV 2 can do:
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/01...reak-apple-tv/

The Apple TV 3 added 1080p decoding and has better wifi. A review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5687/a...12-mini-review
Thanks...I honestly don't even use it for anything but playing music off of my computer as it is. Anybody know if there's a product that would just allow me to play music via WiFi (and using my iPhone as a remote/display source) through my stereo/TV, that doesn't have all the extra bells and whistles of the Apple TV?

(I guess to be even more simplistic...since I'm going to be using my iPhone anyways, is there a wireless version of an auxiliary cord, which is all I'm essentially trying to do?)
Old 12-12-12, 07:40 PM   #96
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.sonos.com/system
Old 12-12-12, 08:43 PM   #97
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not exactly the same thing, but you can also get a soundbar, and play your iPhone through the soundbar via Bluetooth.
Old 12-12-12, 10:03 PM   #98
DVD Talk Legend

But fuck me the Sonos are expensive! I have a nice existing receiver and speakers in my living room, basement, and garage, the 3 main areas I listen to music...$349 to connect each one?!? Might as well get an Apple TV for each at that point and save a ton...
Old 12-12-12, 10:31 PM   #99
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Thanks...I honestly don't even use it for anything but playing music off of my computer as it is. Anybody know if there's a product that would just allow me to play music via WiFi (and using my iPhone as a remote/display source) through my stereo/TV, that doesn't have all the extra bells and whistles of the Apple TV?

(I guess to be even more simplistic...since I'm going to be using my iPhone anyways, is there a wireless version of an auxiliary cord, which is all I'm essentially trying to do?)
Yes. The Apple Airport Express. It plugs in, connects to your wifi, and you can then run an audio cable (analog or optical) to your home stereo. I stream music both from my home computer over wifi, and directly from my iPhone over wifi.

Even Apple employees at the Apple store have no idea what the Airport Express does.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/
Old 12-13-12, 11:27 AM   #100
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you dont care about jailbreaking you ATV2, sell it. pick up an ATV3 or Airport Express and come out like 100 bucks ahead!