DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-10-16, 12:10 PM   #951
DVD Talk God

Re: The Apple Thread

I've been avoiding the iOS 10 download. Heard crappy things about it. Should I continue holding out?
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 10-10-16, 12:33 PM   #952
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't had a single issue with it, so go for it.
Old 10-10-16, 12:50 PM   #953
DVD Talk Hero

Works great on my Ipad Air 2. No issues at all.
Old 10-12-16, 08:32 AM   #954

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I've been avoiding the iOS 10 download. Heard crappy things about it. Should I continue holding out?
For me it has been a big improvement over iOS 9 - really enjoying iOS 10

As for hearing "crappy things about it" -- considering there are now ~ 1 billion iOS users out there, I guarantee that every new release will have some people complaining about it, no matter how good it is.
Old 10-12-16, 09:20 AM   #955
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been getting terrible battery life with iOS 10.
putting it in low power mode permanently helps, but that's a lame-o solution!
Old 10-12-16, 12:33 PM   #956
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Works great on my Ipad Air 2. No issues at all.
Same here. On our iPhones (6 and 6 Plus) and iPads (both Air 2) it has worked very well. Noticeable performance improvements and some great new features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I've been getting terrible battery life with iOS 10.
putting it in low power mode permanently helps, but that's a lame-o solution!
I have observed the exact opposite. The battery life on both my iPhone and iPad is better under iOS 10 than iOS 9. Perhaps you have some app installed that uses background refresh, but isn't "playing nice" with the new OS. Have you looked at the battery usage to see where it is going?
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
My DVDs
Old 10-12-16, 02:53 PM   #957
DVD Talk Godfather

The changes to the Mail app in iOS 10 have been pretty maddening to me. By default when viewing emails within a long chain/conversation, viewing emails further in the conversation seems to display the reply + the original message, making it a huge pain to scroll through replies chronologically in the thread. I'm used to it showing each of the previously quoted messages directly in the email, which is the way it behaves in Outlook and other mail clients i've used. Plus, the visual separation between emails in the conversation are really poor to me although using the arrows at the top makes it a bit easier, as well as changing it to show the most recent message on top.

Not sure if there's a way to go back to the old display method, a search came up with some tips and a few forums with similar complaints.

http://www.macworld.com/article/3130...on-ios-10.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme...n_ios_10_mail/
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
http://forums.imore.com/ios-10/37403...-ios-10-a.html

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 10-12-16, 05:23 PM   #958
DVD Talk Hero

Speaking of the mail app, it would sometimes stop syncing email. I have to manually go in and it would check email again
Old 10-12-16, 06:11 PM   #959
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
The changes to the Mail app in iOS 10 have been pretty maddening to me. By default when viewing emails within a long chain/conversation, viewing emails further in the conversation seems to display the reply + the original message, making it a huge pain to scroll through replies chronologically in the thread. I'm used to it showing each of the previously quoted messages directly in the email, which is the way it behaves in Outlook and other mail clients i've used. Plus, the visual separation between emails in the conversation are really poor to me although using the arrows at the top makes it a bit easier, as well as changing it to show the most recent message on top.

Not sure if there's a way to go back to the old display method, a search came up with some tips and a few forums with similar complaints.

http://www.macworld.com/article/3130...on-ios-10.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme...n_ios_10_mail/
http://forums.imore.com/ios-10/37403...-ios-10-a.html
I hated that too. My work email was pretty much impossible to follow when there were several replies in a chain. I turned that off in the settings. It's still not ideal, I'm back to seperate emails, but at least I can follow what's going on.
Old 10-12-16, 07:44 PM   #960
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Outlook app for iOS is pretty great. I used Mail for years but switched to Outlook when it was released and have been impressed.
Old 10-12-16, 08:14 PM   #961
DVD Talk Legend

I like the gmail app a lot.
Old 10-12-16, 08:24 PM   #962
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T Hudson View Post
I like the gmail app a lot.
Unless they have updated it, the problem with the Gmail App for iOS is no universal inbox. Both Mail and Outlook have it and even the Android version of Gmail has it. If you are using multiple e-mails it's a deal breaker.
Old 10-13-16, 12:23 AM   #963
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
The Outlook app for iOS is pretty great. I used Mail for years but switched to Outlook when it was released and have been impressed.
Yeah, I've been thinking about switching to Outlook now. Maybe i'll play with it sometime this week.

Old 10-13-16, 08:59 AM   #964
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Outlook for iOS has been my only email app on my phone for over a year. I don't even have any automatic fetch turned on for the stock email app any more.
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
My DVDs
Old 10-13-16, 09:18 AM   #965
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I use Outlook, too. I would recommend changing the default 'swipe' left or right functions, though. I think they're "Schedule" and "Delete" if I remember correctly. I had no real use for "Schedule" in there, personally.

I finally just turned off auto fetch in the default Mail app. Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-13-16, 02:13 PM   #966
DVD Talk Hero

There seems to be an issue with Apple as activation lock activating on its own tons stranger's id

http://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-a...ers-apple-ids/
Old 10-14-16, 09:15 AM   #967
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know if this is an iOS 10 thing, or an iPhone 7 thing, so I'm asking here.

Every time I get a text message, one of two things happens:
1. It Dings, I acknowledge it by responding to it or clearing it from my notifications, and that's it.
or
2. It Dings, and if I DON'T acknowledge it in any way, I get another 'ding!" somewhere between 15 to 60 seconds later. I haven't timed it, so I don't know exactly.

Is #2 normal behavior for these phones? It makes me think I got two separate messages, when I most certainly didn't.
Old 10-14-16, 09:32 AM   #968
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I don't know if this is an iOS 10 thing, or an iPhone 7 thing, so I'm asking here.

Every time I get a text message, one of two things happens:
1. It Dings, I acknowledge it by responding to it or clearing it from my notifications, and that's it.
or
2. It Dings, and if I DON'T acknowledge it in any way, I get another 'ding!" somewhere between 15 to 60 seconds later. I haven't timed it, so I don't know exactly.

Is #2 normal behavior for these phones? It makes me think I got two separate messages, when I most certainly didn't.
It's been like that a long time. You can turn if off in Settings/Notifications/Messages/"Repeat Alerts".
Old 10-14-16, 09:33 AM   #969
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks! My wife never mentioned it (she's been using iPhones since the 3GS), but it's not exactly a hot topic of conversation between us.
Old 10-14-16, 10:24 AM   #970
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Thanks! My wife never mentioned it (she's been using iPhones since the 3GS), but it's not exactly a hot topic of conversation between us.
It's a "feature," to send a second alert in case you missed the first one. Your wife didn't mention it probably because she knows you need at least a second nagging to do anything
Old 10-14-16, 12:38 PM   #971
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
It's a "feature," to send a second alert in case you missed the first one. Your wife didn't mention it probably because she knows you need at least a second nagging to do anything
Accurate!
Old 10-16-16, 10:19 AM   #972
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am lost in the new version of iTunes (12.5.1). I used to be able to click on the device (phone) name attached to your PC, and decide what to sync from PC to phone. For example I might decide to sync only a playlist and not the entire music library.

Well they moved it. Now all I see is a "Sync" button that will start the syncing, but I don't see where I define what to sync. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-18-16, 04:52 PM   #973
Banned

Maybe you all can help with an Apple Watch issue. Usually I run outdoors and hit outdoor walk or run on the watch and use the C25K app. When I run it measures time distance etc and I go for minimum 3 miles and burn around 350-360 cals. Well today I went to a gym and hit "QuickStart" on the watch without thinking and ran at a speed of 5.5 and walked at 4.0. So today is shows i burned 545 cals on my watch. Is that even possible?
Old 10-19-16, 09:43 AM   #974
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the iPhone 7 Plus last night and did a restore from my old phone back-up but now a bunch of albums are missing their artwork. I tried erasing my music and resyncing again but I still have the same issue. Does anyone know how to fix this? It's driving me crazy!
Old 10-25-16, 03:23 PM   #975
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks like Apple accidentally included some info on the new Macbook Pro with the new OS update.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/10...w-macbook-pro/

Quote:
The image, seen above, appears to show off the 13-inch MacBook Pro that Apple is expected to reveal at its hardware event on Thursday. The screen bezel is noticeably thinner than in the current design, and there's less metal surrounding the keyboard, which is in keeping with reports that the hardware would have a smaller, slimmer profile than the current model. The row of function keys (including the Escape key and the power button) has also been replaced with a long narrow black strip, which rumors have said is an OLED display panel that can display different information depending on the app you're using. The right-most section of the strip includes an embedded Touch ID fingerprint sensor, which can be used for Apple Pay and presumably to unlock your Mac.

Trademark filings suggest that this OLED strip will be called the "Magic Toolbar," and analyst notes have suggested that it may be powered by some sort of ARM-based coprocessor separate from the Mac's main CPU and GPU. This would make some sense if Apple wanted to bring over the Secure Enclave and encryption features from iOS without having to redesign them for the Mac.
The screen above the keyboard seems similar to what my old work Lenovo Carbon X1 had, although a seperate processor powering it would make it much more useful I imagine.