Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-27-12, 09:14 PM   #1
POWERBOMB
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite Ver 12 Help Needed

So I took the advice of some DVD talkers in a thread I can no longer find and I bought the Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite Ver 12. I have spent two days off and on working with the software and I can honestly say my brain is fried. Clearly, this is more software than I can handle, but I was hoping it would make my task easier. Since that isn’t the case, I’m hoping that someone here can give me a cliffnotes version of making this work for me.
My task is rather simple. I have about an hour’s worth of video that I have edited down to 6 ˝ minutes. I want to upload this video to YouTube. So first off, I’m running Windows 7 on an HP Pavilion Slimline desktop. I have over 200 GB free space available. All my software updates are up to date.

My first problem is the play back while editing the video. The problem is that during play of the video, the video I’m watching will pause (freeze) even though the video is still playing (as in the cursor is still moving in the timeline). I have changed the video setting from “good” to “best” and the problem persists. The editing process has taken me almost 5 hours to edit 1 hour of video to 6 ˝ minutes. The video is from a digital JVC camcorder.

My second problem is uploading to YouTube. I followed all the procedures for uploading within the software, but every time all I got was an error message that it could not connect to YouTube. I made numerous attempts to upload this video, but to no avail. I used a different program to change the file extension of the video, but after about an hour it had only uploaded less than 10% of the video to YouTube.

My guess for the second problem is that I am not editing or uploading the file in an extension that YouTube recognizes. Yet the “render as” option has me even more confused. I’ve tried various Mp4 options there, but again nothing works. I concede that human error is at play here, but I haven’t found anything online that can answer my question. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. I am walking away from my computer for most of the day because it has really irked me, but I will try all suggestions that are submitted.
Old 09-27-12, 10:15 PM   #2
Mr. Salty
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite Ver 12 Help Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERBOMB View Post
So first off, I’m running Windows 7 on an HP Pavilion Slimline desktop. I have over 200 GB free space available. All my software updates are up to date.
The critical information about your computer is the processor speed. Rendering and other video editing tasks are processor-dependent.

Quote:
I have changed the video setting from “good” to “best” and the problem persists.
I would think you would want to go in the opposite direction, reducing the quality of the preview if you're having playback problems.

I occasionally had this issue when I first started using Sony Vegas on an older computer. The final rendering quality of the video was uneffected.

Quote:
The editing process has taken me almost 5 hours to edit 1 hour of video to 6 ˝ minutes.
You're using the program for the first time. There's bound to be a learning curve that will slow you down.

Quote:
The video is from a digital JVC camcorder.
Knowing the format and resolution the camcorder shoots in is more relevant than the brand of the camcorder.

Quote:
My second problem is uploading to YouTube.
I'm at work right now so I don't have Vegas in front of me. When I get home later I'll look at the rendering options, but there should be a template for YouTube videos in the rendering menu somewhere, unless Sony removed it for some reason.

And I wouldn't upload to YouTube from within Vegas, if that's what you mean. Render the file to your desktop, then upload through YouTube.
Old 09-27-12, 10:51 PM   #3
Dan
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
And I wouldn't upload to YouTube from within Vegas, if that's what you mean. Render the file to your desktop, then upload through YouTube.
I agree with this, although I use Adobe Premiere Elements. I'll render in the same resolution and framerate as the original video (in my case, 1920x1080 @ 24fps). Then I upload that edited video file to YouTube. When YouTube has it, their transcoder (or whatever) will give the viewer all sorts of resolution options between 1080p and 240p.

Also, as Mr Salty hinted, the preview window is choppy/slow/etc. because it's trying to render on the fly. That's hard for your computer to handle if it doesn't have a lot of power. I use my work laptop for Adobe Premiere Elements, and I have the same issue. But, the final output (ie: file) should not be affected by this.

It's also worth going to speedtest.net and checking what your upload speed is. If it's super slow, that may be why you're getting errors when you try to upload to YouTube. I'm not sure, though.
Old 09-28-12, 01:44 AM   #4
Mr. Salty
DVD Talk Legend

OK, I'm using Sony Vegas Pro 11, so it's going to be a little different from Movie Studio 12, but under the Render As menu, there is a choice for MainConcept AVC/AAC (*.mp4). Within that choice there are various options, such as iPad, AppleTV, etc. There are several choices for Internet. Choose the one that matches the resolution of your original file, i.s. Internet HD 1080p. Save the resulting video file to your desktop or wherever and upload it to YouTube from there.

Here's a tutorial video on rendering in Movie Studio Platinum 12:

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 09-28-12 at 02:10 AM.
Old 09-29-12, 12:40 PM   #5
POWERBOMB
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll get the processor speed when I get to that computer. There was a video function that is less than "good" but I didn't remember what it was called at the time I wrote my post. I'll get the camcorder info also. I'm also gonna get a screen shot or picture of my "render as" options because they, to me, are a little intimidating. I just want to mention that I was using Pinnacle Studio before I bought this software and the difference is Pinto to Lamborghini. I only stopped using Pinnacle because the software stopped working properly. I will try to get that info here by this weekend.
Old 10-02-12, 11:01 PM   #6
POWERBOMB
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
The critical information about your computer is the processor speed. Rendering and other video editing tasks are processor-dependent.
The processor speed I found is AMD Sempron 140 processor 2.70 GHz.

Quote:
Knowing the format and resolution the camcorder shoots in is more relevant than the brand of the camcorder.
The video format is MPEG2 and the resolution is SD 720. I'm actually disappointed to find this out as I thought I had an HD camcorder.
The video posted was similar to the render as that I have. I will try to render it under the suggestion given. I'm wonder, if I save this to the computer and then upload to You Tube, will I be able to tag the video with all the info that the software program was going to have?
Old 10-02-12, 11:34 PM   #7
Mr. Salty
DVD Talk Legend

720 is typically an HD resolution. What is the exact model number of your camcorder?
Old 10-03-12, 11:01 PM   #8
POWERBOMB
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gz-mg360
Old 10-04-12, 02:10 AM   #9
Mr. Salty
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERBOMB View Post
The video format is MPEG2 and the resolution is SD 720. I'm actually disappointed to find this out as I thought I had an HD camcorder.
OK, you're right. It's 480x720, which is not HD. So you'll render your video at 480p, not 720 or 1080.