DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-20-12, 11:31 AM   #101
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Microsoft Surface Tablet

This article from Gizmodo details pretty well why I'm more intrigued by the Surface than any other tablet PC out currently. I still probably won't get one though.

"Mordred is a very smart man." - JasonF
Old 06-20-12, 12:34 PM   #102
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
I have increasing amounts of faith in MS.
Everything about how and what was announced is virtually identical to the Microsoft of yesteryear. It is painfully obvious to me that Microsoft has not demonstrated that they learned from their mistakes with Vista, Origami, Zune, Kin, and WP7.

There was no mention of interconnectivity with WP7 and/or XBox. The names (Surface RT, Pro) are not only goofy, they are confusing. Similar names yet different operating systems. How will the Surface RT interact with a desktop/notebook (for media syncing) if there even is a plan?

Microsoft virtually never leverages their existing consumer brands and infrastructure. They seem to continually start from scratch or reboot products. That's probably a result of the internal turf wars of their corporate culture.

If the announcement were of a Zune tablet, a phoenix rising from the ashes, leveraging any of the remaining Zune (and existing XBox) infrastructure, I would've been extremely excited. As it stands.... (yawn)

But then again I'm biased... Just when (IMO) Microsoft finally reached a level of maturity with the Zune line where it could be a viable alternative, MS pulled the plug.
Old 06-20-12, 01:39 PM   #103
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
But then again I'm biased... Just when (IMO) Microsoft finally reached a level of maturity with the Zune line where it could be a viable alternative, MS pulled the plug.
An alternative to what? iPods? Who cares about iPods anymore? The original Zune music player came out in 2006, and the brand never gained any traction. They were right to kill it.
Old 06-20-12, 01:41 PM   #104
DVD Talk Legend

When will Microsoft kill bing?
Old 06-20-12, 02:53 PM   #105
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, they kind of killed Bing Maps on Windows Phone today. Does that count?
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
My DVDs
Old 06-20-12, 03:02 PM   #106
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
An alternative to what? iPods? Who cares about iPods anymore? The original Zune music player came out in 2006, and the brand never gained any traction. They were right to kill it.
The brand never gained any traction as it was five-years late to the party. Apple had already released three different designs to their iPod model since its debut in 2001 (classic, mini and nano). When Microsoft released the Zune 30, Apple was two-months away from announcing the iPhone. When Microsoft released the Zune 4/8/16, the iPod touch was already out on the market. Just like the portable music market, the smartphone market, and now the tablet market; Microsoft is yet again late to the party with nothing new to bring.

Google and Apple own over 80% of the smartphone and tablet marketshare. Rightfully so as they're the only ones who are innovating and making one another better. Microsoft is just piggybacking and hoping their shit sticks to the walls before Ballmer loses interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
What pisses me off the most about that article is Microsoft's purchase of Danger. Even with T-Mobile's awful service, the Sidekick were great devices that were ahead of their time. Obviously, when Microsoft purchases Danger, it leads to one of Microsoft's biggest financial disasters within the past few years. Rather than let Danger do their own thing with the money and resources provided to them, which probably would've led to great integration and possibly a better platform than Windows Mobile, they forced the company to work on an already-exisiting project that Microsoft had fucked left and right from the get-go.

Danger had already created and supported a loyal customer with the Sidekick. With Microsoft's resources, they could've had a product out to the market that could've went head-to-head with Android and iOS. Instead, Danger was slowly killed off which ended up giving Google an advantage since Rubin brought a lot of his Danger team with him to Google. Great move there Microsoft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
This article from Gizmodo details pretty well why I'm more intrigued by the Surface than any other tablet PC out currently. I still probably won't get one though.
Gizmodo's sucking Microsoft's cock?

Old 06-20-12, 04:07 PM   #107
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
Gizmodo's sucking Microsoft's cock?
Which is funny, because I usually see complaints about how they are biased in favor of Apple.

More then just Gizmodo have praised numerous design aspects of the Surface though.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 06-20-12, 04:33 PM   #108
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Competition is good. It will keep Apple from resting on its laurels, they will have to go beyond "coolness factor" in the future, and the bar is raised.

Great! Even though I couldn't care less about tablets, I think this release is a GREAT thing for giving impetus to the market.
Old 06-20-12, 05:41 PM   #109
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Which is funny, because I usually see complaints about how they are biased in favor of Apple.

More then just Gizmodo have praised numerous design aspects of the Surface though.
Exactly. Also, that complaint is somewhat ironic since Chmiel seems content to consistently suck Apple's cock.

Old 06-22-12, 12:12 PM   #110
DVD Talk Legend

Some reports based on anonymous sources are saying the ARM version will be $599 wi-fi only and the "Pro" version will be $999.

That's too expensive, IMO. The Surface RT doesn't have a killer feature over the iPad and if they are the same price the iPad wins.
Old 06-22-12, 12:53 PM   #111
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, the ARM version will bomb at that price. The Pro one looks like what I would expect though.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 06-22-12, 01:27 PM   #112
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
Some reports based on anonymous sources are saying the ARM version will be $599 wi-fi only and the "Pro" version will be $999.

That's too expensive, IMO. The Surface RT doesn't have a killer feature over the iPad and if they are the same price the iPad wins.
If that's true it's DOA. They never seem to learn.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 06-22-12, 03:16 PM   #113
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
If that's true it's DOA. They never seem to learn.
Yeah, that's disappointing. It looks a whole lot more attractive at $499.

Old 06-22-12, 07:24 PM   #114
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently, those "hands-on" reviews might not have been so "hands-on".

Maybe others got better access but this seems super weird on Microsoft's part.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 06-22-12, 10:07 PM   #115
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I have increasing amounts of faith in MS.
Which part did it for you? When it locked up during the demo, or the commercial that doesn't show it actually doing anything?
Old 06-23-12, 01:16 AM   #116
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Apparently, those "hands-on" reviews might not have been so "hands-on".

Maybe others got better access but this seems super weird on Microsoft's part.
When I was looking for early "hands on" reviews Monday night all the articles I found made it clear that the reporter only got literally a minute or two to use it and there were no functional keyboard demos. I'm sure some have been less clear about how little time they had to make it seem like they are more informed.

The author of this story was able to use two different devices, so it couldn't have been that uncommon for the reps to let reporters get hands on. It's not surprising that his time was short when he tried to get hardware specs that MS doesn't want to release at this time.
Old 06-23-12, 03:51 AM   #117
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I strongly agree that any company that has an event like this should do it closer to laugh and show everything, it needs to work, show pricing and release date. And I agree that the Arm RT version has to be the same price or cheaper to even be an option to the iPad, the resolution alone would hurt it compared to the iPad, now the Pro version has a lot more going for it and that is what I would be looking at if it works correctly. I cannot imagine released a device that does not work well, that would be the death of the device.
Old 06-23-12, 04:28 AM   #118
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
I strongly agree that any company that has an event like this should do it closer to laugh and show everything, it needs to work, show pricing and release date.
If this were a normal product launch you would be right, but MS is still a software company. The Surface event was as much a kick in the pants to it's hardware partners as it was a presentation to consumers. Pulling an Apple-like "and you can order it today" launch would have been better for the Surface, but not for Windows 8/RT on tablet.
Old 06-23-12, 08:43 AM   #119
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Disappointed by surface. This thing competes directly with ultra books, not iPads or Android tablets. Looks like another hardware failure for MS to me.
Old 06-23-12, 10:51 AM   #120
DVD Talk Legend

Given the sketchiness of what was presented, I would not be surprised if Microsoft's formal announcement of the availability of the Surface differs (read: less than) from what they presented.
Old 06-24-12, 06:25 AM   #121
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Now comes the Surface. The ideas it represents are compelling to me: I don't want a computer but I find the iPad to be a bit of a toy (a great toy, but a toy nevertheless). Many, many questions remain of course. Pricing, battery life, apps/ecosystem etc. Will the interface be smooth and fluid (this is hugely important)? What will third-party W8 tablets look like? Will enterprises adopt W8? We'll see.

me.
I have read many saying (only now that a win tablet is coing) that the iPad is a toy. I don't get this? Even when I was anti-iPad due to the inability to be a stand alone product I didn't call it a toy but rather a laptop accessory.

Just because something doesn't do an individual, very specific thing, doesn't make it a toy. Unless I'm missing that definition. There will be something the Surface won't do. Or won't do well. Won't make it a toy either. And I have no problem if an iPad would never work for you for whatever reason. That is no different than not a single laptop model would work for everone. Tho I'm not saying the the iPad is a laptop. But neither is the Surface. Or any Android tablet.

I don't really need to defend the iPad. But it really sounds petty and lack of knowledge to call an iPad a toy. Unless of course by toy you mean a highly successful, well refined, responsive, device that does what most people use a laptop for, better than their laptop did. Which by the way could also be said of a number of Android tablets.

Home Theater Build

Last edited by Sdallnct; 06-24-12 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-25-12, 08:59 PM   #122
DVD Talk Legend

$599? Here's the source since nobody brought it up: http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2012...-8-pro-models/

You know what also launched at a $599 (and, technically, $499) price point?

You know why the Amazon Kindle Fire has sold more than 5 million units, making it the second most sold tablet behind the iPad? It's always been priced at $199. $300 cheaper than the lowest-end model of the current generation iPads. Hell, employees of HP acknowledged the TouchPad failed because they priced it the same as the iPad.

Microsoft knows to win a market they have to take a hit on the hardware to enter and ultimately dominate the marketplace, i.e. Xbox and the Xbox 360. Why they're not using the same strategy here shows, yet again, how out of touch Microsoft and Ballmer are.
Old 06-25-12, 09:15 PM   #123
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

If $999 is accurate for the Windows 8 Pro version, I'm still interested in that one.

$599 does seem high for the RT version, but w/ 32GB of storage, it's equal to the 32GB iPad with the biggest drawback being that the screen resolution doesn't compare. Still, I definitely wouldn't buy it at $599. $499, maybe... but as I said, I'm personally interested in the better one.
Old 06-25-12, 11:38 PM   #124
DVD Talk Legend

Despite a lot of evidence to the contrary, I don't think Microsoft is stupid. I'm now wondering if they realize that the $599 model isn't really attractive at that price point, but they're selling one to fill the main market gap between the iPad and the full blown Surface. It makes sense that they might be afraid of getting killed in the press/public opinion for having something that looks like it competes with the iPad but at close to 2x the price. Having the Surface RT provides a clear differentiator between iPad and $999 Surface because they can say the RT does everything the iPad can do with a little extra for the same price... but the Surface does SO much more.

It wouldn't be the first time a company has released a bare bones model of something just to provide a price point stepping stone. Unfortunately I can't remember the marketing term for that strategy.

Old 06-26-12, 05:45 AM   #125
DVD Talk Legend

So I guess I missed the whole RT thing. It is win8 "lite" just for mobile devices? A form of Office built in, but u can't load normal win programs on it? Apps only?

Interesting

Home Theater Build