DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-19-12, 11:45 AM   #51
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Microsoft Surface Tablet

This has strong potential - especially in the enterprise market.

Our firm hasn't adopted any tablet due to security and most importantly - the lack of business functionality within our firm. This is where Microsoft can come in nicely. Our firm runs thousands of enterprise applications, and a nice chunk are developed in-house. With Microsoft's development tools, the job of making our stuff work on a Windows 8 tablet (and of course desktop) is so much easier.

I even discussed this with my friends who also work in IT at other firms, and this has piqued their interest as well.
Old 06-19-12, 11:51 AM   #52
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman03 View Post
I actually thought you may work for MS, since you seem to know what the tablet and Windows 8/RT will do.

Or maybe you've read up on them better than I have.
It's the latter, the capabilities of both tablets isn't exactly a mystery.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 06-19-12, 11:51 AM   #53
DVD Talk Hero

I don't get the Intel Surface at all.
Old 06-19-12, 11:57 AM   #54
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I love how this generalization keeps being perpetuated even though it's patently untrue.
Sorry. In terms of hardware, they're fine. But with my experience with typical Android devices, the OS doesn't fit. Just my opinion, but Android on phones is phenomenal. Android on tablets is lacking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman03 View Post
I actually thought you may work for MS
Nope.
Quote:
since you seem to know what the tablet and Windows 8/RT will do.

Or maybe you've read up on them better than I have.
Yeah, I've been using Windows 8 since the dev preview. I feel like I have a good understanding of how it works and how RT is specifically different. That's all.
Old 06-19-12, 12:01 PM   #55
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
This has strong potential - especially in the enterprise market.

Our firm hasn't adopted any tablet due to security and most importantly - the lack of business functionality within our firm. This is where Microsoft can come in nicely. Our firm runs thousands of enterprise applications, and a nice chunk are developed in-house. With Microsoft's development tools, the job of making our stuff work on a Windows 8 tablet (and of course desktop) is so much easier.

I even discussed this with my friends who also work in IT at other firms, and this has piqued their interest as well.
exactly. my uncle runs a commercial construction company. they bought a bunch of android tablets for their field construction managers. he said while they work, they aren't exactly perfect because they often don't have the right programs to run certain documents/files. this would make it infinitely easier since you'd likely be able to run any application that windows runs.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 06-19-12, 12:02 PM   #56
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
Sorry. In terms of hardware, they're fine. But with my experience with typical Android devices, the OS doesn't fit. Just my opinion, but Android on phones is phenomenal. Android on tablets is lacking.
I don't want to drudge up an old debate. All I will say is that I find Honeycomb to be far better than "garbage" (haven't used ICS on a tablet yet). It's certainly not perfect and there are obviously some things that iOS on the iPad does better, but I find it hard to believe that anyone can objectively view Honeycomb as garbage. It runs smooth as silk on my Galaxy Tab 8.9 even with Samsung's Touchwiz overlay. But we should probably get back on topic...
Old 06-19-12, 12:12 PM   #57
DVD Talk Hero

Interested to see what happens with this since I'm not an ipad owner... yet. I do mobile ios but PC otherwise.

I don't like the name "Surface"
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 06-19-12, 12:17 PM   #58
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post
If this isn't vaporware, I don't know what is.

Mind you, I do firmly believe that the Surface will ship by the end of 2012.
So... you don't know what vaporware is then?

Old 06-19-12, 12:22 PM   #59
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
So... you don't know what vaporware is then?
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 06-19-12, 12:35 PM   #60
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a link to the full keynote presentation. The link starts at 20:37, as that's when the Windows 8 Pro version is shown off. I definitely want that one.
http://youtu.be/jozTK-MqEXQ?t=20m37s
The perimeter venting is fucking genius. I'm sure it's used elsewhere in tech, but it's nice to see it on this device.
Old 06-19-12, 12:41 PM   #61
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
exactly. my uncle runs a commercial construction company. they bought a bunch of android tablets for their field construction managers. he said while they work, they aren't exactly perfect because they often don't have the right programs to run certain documents/files. this would make it infinitely easier since you'd likely be able to run any application that windows runs.
On the pro tablet, that may be true (I say "may", because we don't have enough details yet to know whether the tablet will have enough horsepower to run all desktop applications well). It may be great, or it may end up running them no better than a netbook. Ever try running Photoshop on a netbook? I'll tell you right now - don't. It will make you want to throw your netbook off a very high cliff.

On the RT tablet, you will most definitely NOT be able to run "any application that Windows runs". NO desktop programs other than MS Office will be allowed on RT. On RT, it's Metro way or the highway.
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
My DVDs
Old 06-19-12, 12:43 PM   #62
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Here's a link to the full keynote presentation. The link starts at 20:37, as that's when the Windows 8 Pro version is shown off. I definitely want that one.
http://youtu.be/jozTK-MqEXQ?t=20m37s
The perimeter venting is fucking genius. I'm sure it's used elsewhere in tech, but it's nice to see it on this device.
Genius? It has been used in some laptop designs for years. I know you say you aren't a fanboy, but it is getting more and more difficult to believe you.
My DVDs
Old 06-19-12, 12:49 PM   #63
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, isn't Surface the name of Microsoft's CSI super map stuff?

i'm thinking this will cost more than the iPad.

On the Ballmer bashing, didn't he do well with windows 7? Shouldn't he get credit for that?
Old 06-19-12, 12:50 PM   #64
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
On the pro tablet, that may be true (I say "may", because we don't have enough details yet to know whether the tablet will have enough horsepower to run all desktop applications well). It may be great, or it may end up running them no better than a netbook. Ever try running Photoshop on a netbook? I'll tell you right now - don't. It will make you want to throw your netbook off a very high cliff.
In the keynote, they specifically said that the specs rival that of ultrabooks that have been announced and/or released. If an ultrabook can run the application, chances are the Surface Pro can too. They specifically mention Photoshop and SolidWorks. Seems pretty powerful to me.

Quote:
On the RT tablet, you will most definitely NOT be able to run "any application that Windows runs". NO desktop programs other than MS Office will be allowed on RT. On RT, it's Metro way or the highway.
True, but that has been clear for months now. The RT Surface tablet isn't meant to meet those needs. It's a "simple" tablet like the iPad.

Quote:
Genius? It has been used in some laptop designs for years. I know you say you aren't a fanboy, but it is getting more and more difficult to believe you.
Did you miss the part where I said "I"m sure it's used elsewhere in tech, but it's nice to see it on this device." All I said is that the venting is genius, not that Microsoft is genius for inventing it and/or using it. I hadn't specifically seen it on any other Intel-based tablets or laptops because I'm using a 2-year-old Dell Latitude that has one big vent on the side and sounds like a jet engine. Jesus...

Last edited by Dan; 06-19-12 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-19-12, 12:54 PM   #65
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Yeah, isn't Surface the name of Microsoft's CSI super map stuff?
Renamed to PixelSense. Yes, it's a horrible name.
Old 06-19-12, 01:02 PM   #66
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh, yeah, horrible name. Yet another Microsoft thing renamed.
Old 06-19-12, 01:15 PM   #67
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
In the keynote, they specifically said that the specs rival that of ultrabooks that have been announced and/or released. If an ultrabook can run the application, chances are the Surface Pro can too. They specifically mention Photoshop and SolidWorks. Seems pretty powerful to me.
I guess I'm just a bit more skeptical. I'll wait until the actual tablet ships and people start to actually try to use CPU-intensive software before assuming it is going to be all sunshine and roses.

Quote:
True, but that has been clear for months now. The RT Surface tablet isn't meant to meet those needs. It's a "simple" tablet like the iPad.
Clear to tech-savvy people, not to average consumers (such as Deftones' uncle, since that was the context of my reply). If he goes out and buys an RT Surface, expecting it to run all of his Windows software, he will be in for a rude awakening.

Quote:
Did you miss the part where I said "I"m sure it's used elsewhere in tech, but it's nice to see it on this device." All I said is that the venting is genius, not that Microsoft is genius for inventing it and/or using it. I hadn't specifically seen it on any other Intel-based tablets or laptops because I'm using a 2-year-old Dell Latitude that has one big vent on the side and sounds like a jet engine. Jesus...
I didn't miss anything. I merely pointed out that calling something that I personally have seen in use for over 5 years "genius" seems to be giving Microsoft too much credit. It isn't genius, it is common sense.
My DVDs
Old 06-19-12, 01:32 PM   #68
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Yeah, I've been using Windows 8 since the dev preview. I feel like I have a good understanding of how it works and how RT is specifically different. That's all.
Got it. So then, you're just being a fanboy when you talk about how the tablet will actually perform. Unless you've gotten your hands on one.
Old 06-19-12, 01:46 PM   #69
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I did not say how the tablet would perform, but thanks for putting words in my mouth. I paraphrased the speakers in the announcement. They said how it would perform, and there's no reason to disbelieve them. If they specifically say it runs Photoshop and SolidWorks like an ultrabook can, why can't that be accepted as what it is?

I know how Windows 8 performs on PCs. I've seen enough demos to know how it performs on tablets. Its performance on the Surface Pro will not be any different. Why would it be?
I know how Windows RT is different from Windows 8. There's tons of information out there about this. Based on that information, I have a pretty good idea of what reasonable expectations are for RT-based tablets.

So, I'm a fanboy because I do some casual research and opine about a product announcement? Wow.
Old 06-19-12, 02:01 PM   #70
DVD Talk Legend

Don't let the Apple fanboys get you down, man.
Old 06-19-12, 02:08 PM   #71
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Don't let the Apple fanboys get you down, man.
Right, so anyone who chooses to remain objective and mildly skeptical until we actually SEE the product is an Apple fanboy. I guess my 25+ years of using Windows PCs on a daily basis (most of which I built myself, including the one on which I am typing this post) only happened in my Apple fanboy imagination.
My DVDs
Old 06-19-12, 02:09 PM   #72
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
I did not say how the tablet would perform, but thanks for putting words in my mouth. I paraphrased the speakers in the announcement. They said how it would perform, and there's no reason to disbelieve them. If they specifically say it runs Photoshop and SolidWorks like an ultrabook can, why can't that be accepted as what it is?

I know how Windows 8 performs on PCs. I've seen enough demos to know how it performs on tablets. Its performance on the Surface Pro will not be any different. Why would it be?
I know how Windows RT is different from Windows 8. There's tons of information out there about this. Based on that information, I have a pretty good idea of what reasonable expectations are for RT-based tablets.

So, I'm a fanboy because I do some casual research and opine about a product announcement? Wow.
I'm not putting words in your mouth. It's just the way it came off when you were responding to Matthew Chmiel on page 2. I could quote you each time you said something from that same post, but I really don't care/have the time. I'm not trying to pick a fight or start something.

Hopefully it works as advertised, but forgive me if I'm a little skeptical. Especially since they left off some key information, like battery life, price, apps.

Last edited by boogieman03; 06-19-12 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-19-12, 02:09 PM   #73
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Right, so anyone who chooses to remain objective and mildly skeptical until we actually SEE the product is an Apple fanboy. I guess my 25+ years of using Windows PCs on a daily basis (most of which I built myself, including the one on which I am typing this post) only happened in my Apple fanboy imagination.
I knew someone would bite.
Old 06-19-12, 02:17 PM   #74
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm surprised at people heavily questioning the performance of the Windows Pro 8 version; unless Intel comes out specifically with a new Ivy Bridge part this year to power the Surface, it seems clear that it will be a CULV i5 or i7 Ivy Bridge that is already appearing in Ultrabooks on the market today, and the chips that are in the new Macbook Air.

So unless you think the Macbook Air performance isn't up to par, i'm unsure why people would feel differently about the Surface or predict significantly worse performance.

Old 06-19-12, 02:18 PM   #75
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
I knew someone would bite.

My DVDs