DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-18-12, 11:47 PM   #26
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Microsoft Surface Tablet

I won't be buying one, but I'd like to see the pricing.
Old 06-19-12, 12:04 AM   #27
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
I won't be buying one, but I'd like to see the pricing.
That is a huge factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
... and defeats the purpose of a tablet.
For me that could be yes no, depends what I want to do with it, personally I would love to see a tablet like this with wacom, that is never going to happen again.

I like the control that a full OS allows for and I like Windows, only os that allows me to do everything I want.
Old 06-19-12, 12:36 AM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
How?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jobs, MacWorld 2010.
All of us use laptops and smartphones now. And the question has arisen lately: "Is there room for a device in the middle?" We’ve pondered this question as well.

This “middle” device must be better at doing certain tasks than either the laptop or smartphone. If there’s going to be a third category of device, it must be better at browsing the Web, video, photos, music, etc.

Some folks say this device is a netbook. Problem is, the netbook isn’t good at any of these things.

But we have something that is, and it’s called the iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jobs, iPad 2 keynote.
Our competitors are looking at this like it's the next PC market. That is not the right approach to this. These are post-PC devices that need to be easier to use than a PC, more intuitive. The hardware and software need to intertwine more than they do on a PC. We think we're on the right path with this.
... and Steve Jobs was absolutely correct. A tablet is not a replacement for a PC and it never should be. It should be its own separate device that keeps simplicity at its forefront.

I own an iPad and I love it. I want my tablet to be a handheld device and it is. The only thing I need to connect it to is the power adapter to charge it. Hell, I only need to charge it once every few days. I don't need USB ports as I have two computers for that. I don't need the video output as I can output my video wirelessly through my AppleTV. Everything I put on the device I can do just through WiFi and my internet connection.

I can take my iPad with me in my messenger bag to work every day and need not a single thing else. For a majority of the time, it makes needing my laptop completly unnecessary. The iPad keeps everything simple and right to the point. There's no lag time with it. I'm up and running within the matter of seconds regardless of what the task is.

The Surface for Windows 8 Pro is everything Jobs said a tablet shouldn't be. Microsoft touted it can play Civilization V. Why would I want to play Civilization V on a touch-screen tablet? I don't want Mac OS X on my iPad, I want something simpler. That's why iOS exists. I have an iMac for both Mac OS X and Windows 7. Yes, iOS could have more features in it. However, for right now, it does the job I need it to do perfectly fine because it keeps everything simple.

Microsoft themselves mentioned they made the tablet priced to match the ultrabook market. If that's the case, why wouldn't I just purchase an ultrabook and get more bang for my buck? I can purchase an 11" MacBook Air for $999 at retail. That comes standard with specifications like a 1.7GHz Ivy Bridge i5 processor, 4GB of RAM, USB 3, Thunderbolt and a lot more. Hell, it only weighs .38 pounds more and is just as thin. So Microsoft, tell me again why I would want to purchase your tablet and not an ultrabook despite having more bang for my buck?

Microsoft is shooting themselves in the foot by announcing this product with no release date or price in sight. By time the Surface is released, Apple will probably have the fourth-generation of the iPad coming right around the corner. We all know the drill, it'll set the bar again for how tablets should be. Because, really, can you name me another device that is rocking a 2048x1536 display for under $500? Unless Microsoft undercuts the price of the Surface for Windows RT a la Amazon did for the Kindle Fire, we're going to see Zune 2.0 all over again where Microsoft launches a product to compete against Apple and falls flat on their ass.

If I was a shareholder at Microsoft, I'd be hoping for Ballmer's demise. There's no innovation with the Surface on display, because really, it looks like a Transformer Prime. Only if Asus decided to vomit pastel colors all over the place.
Old 06-19-12, 12:42 AM   #29
DVD Talk Hero

I think that's a very rosy picture of Mac OS X vs. iOS. They're clearly starting to merge the interfaces and services. Mac OS X is becoming more and more like iOS.
Old 06-19-12, 01:00 AM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
I think that's a very rosy picture of Mac OS X vs. iOS. They're clearly starting to merge the interfaces and services. Mac OS X is becoming more and more like iOS.
Do you even own a Mac? A lot of the iOS integration originally started on the Mac, became upgraded within the iOS and then updated on the Mac OS X. If anything, iOS is a great way to beta test features and services on a mass level to see if they'll work on a larger platform.

Looking at Mountain Lion and its integration of features on iOS, there's a lot of stuff that already existed on the Mac. For example:
  • iMessage is just an upgrade to iChat as it still keeps in the basic functionality that iChat had (AIM, Jabber, etc) with the addition of the iMessage service.
  • Notification Center is not new for those who already had Growl or similar software installed on their Mac.
  • I like the fact that iCloud has more integration (Notes, Reminders) considering .Mac and MobileMe barely had integration during their tenures. Yes, I've been a member since .Mac.
  • The built-in Chess application is maybe the only positive feature I can think of Game Center being on the Mac OS X.
Even with Facebook and Twitter integration that I'll never use (because I don't even use them on the iOS), Mountain Lion doesn't change how I've been using my Macs since the beginning of last decade. In fact, I'm pretty stoked that AirPlay is one of the driving features of the upgrade.

Worst case scenario: I get better, updated drivers for Boot Camp.

Either way, iOS works on a mobile platform. If they were to bring Mac OS X to a tablet, it wouldn't work as there's too much functionality that requires more than touch-screen environment. One would need a keyboard and mouse which defeats the purpose of needing a tablet in the first place.
Old 06-19-12, 01:08 AM   #31
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
How?
I was going to quip "because Apple said so" but Chmiel pretty much did so only with a serious reply

Microsoft isn't going to catch Apple anytime soon, or probably ever, in iPad sales so I like the idea of them offering something different, unlike the Zune which despite being a pretty decent product with good software ended up just looking like just a "me too" product against the iPod. I don't need Jobs or whomever to tell me what they think a tablet should and shouldn't be. By the looks of it, I can't imagine many people predicting Windows RT to do much better then existing Android tablets. It's just another typical tablet with nothing new or interesting.

However on a Windows 8 Pro tablet, if they can get full Windows functionality in a tablet form factor and have it actually work well enough to stand on its own and enhanced with a keyboard cover + expansion ports, more power to them. In an ideal world it seems to make sense to have the full power of a laptop in a tablet with most of the benefits the tablet offers; the form factor and size plus quick access to apps and basic web browsing, and be able to migrate to the benefits that a keyboard/trackpad offer you when you need it or want it.

It hasn't worked that well yet so obviously a lot remains to be seen, but I like the idea of it.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 06-19-12, 01:23 AM   #32
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
In an ideal world it seems to make sense to have the full power of a laptop in a tablet with most of the benefits the tablet offers; the form factor and size plus quick access to apps and basic web browsing, and be able to migrate to the benefits that a keyboard/trackpad offer you when you need it or want it.
This is what I don't get. I can go to Fry's right this moment and pick up an Acer ultrabook for $999 with specs that blow the Surface for Windows 8 Pro right out of the water based upon Microsoft's suggested pricing. What's the benefit for the tablet other than a touch screen and it weights slightly less?

If you're going to price a tablet at anywhere from $800 - $1000, give the customers a game changer. Don't give them a reduced ultrabook with a touch screen.
Old 06-19-12, 01:35 AM   #33
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
A tablet is not a replacement for a PC and it never should be. It should be its own separate device that keeps simplicity at its forefront.
Right, which is exactly what Windows 8 (via Windows RT, ie: Metro) does.

Quote:
I own an iPad and I love it.
Great.
Quote:
I want my tablet to be a handheld device and it is.
So are the Microsoft Surface tablets.
Quote:
The only thing I need to connect it to is the power adapter to charge it.
Same goes for Surface.
Quote:
Hell, I only need to charge it once every few days.
I'm sure the Surface battery life will be equivalent.
Quote:
I don't need USB ports as I have two computers for that.
Great for you. I'd love to plug a USB flash drive into a tablet to display photos, videos, etc. without filling up the internal memory with such temporary stuff when I travel and don't have access to wifi/3G.
Quote:
I don't need the video output as I can output my video wirelessly through my AppleTV.
Right, but that's a separate device now isn't it? You require an iPad, AppleTV, and an HDTV to do that. MS is offering a solution that cuts out the needless AppleTV.
Quote:
Everything I put on the device I can do just through WiFi and my internet connection.
Just like every other tablet on the market. Amazing.

Quote:
I can take my iPad with me in my messenger bag to work every day and need not a single thing else.
Same goes for Surface.
Quote:
For a majority of the time, it makes needing my laptop completly unnecessary.
Same goes for Surface.
Quote:
The iPad keeps everything simple and right to the point. There's no lag time with it. I'm up and running within the matter of seconds regardless of what the task is.
Same goes for Surface and all Windows RT apps. The Arm-based Surface will match all of that functionality. The Intel-based Surface will do much much more.

Quote:
The Surface for Windows 8 Pro is everything Jobs said a tablet shouldn't be.
Except it's not.
Quote:
Microsoft touted it can play Civilization V. Why would I want to play Civilization V on a touch-screen tablet?
Isn't the majority of Civ 5 touch and drag actions? Forgive my ignorance here, but I don't see the problem.
Quote:
I don't want Mac OS X on my iPad, I want something simpler. That's why iOS exists.
True. That's also why Windows RT exists. It serves the exact same purpose.
Quote:
I have an iMac for both Mac OS X and Windows 7.
Great.
Quote:
Yes, iOS could have more features in it. However, for right now, it does the job I need it to do perfectly fine because it keeps everything simple.
Same goes for Windows RT.

Quote:
Microsoft themselves mentioned they made the tablet priced to match the ultrabook market. If that's the case, why wouldn't I just purchase an ultrabook and get more bang for my buck?
The Intel-based Surface is an alternative to ultrabooks. You lose a bit of horsepower as a trade-off for getting a touch-screen, a lighter device, and slightly more portability.
The Arm-based Surface is not meant to compete with ultrabooks. It's meant to compete with other simple tablets.
Quote:
I can purchase an 11" MacBook Air for $999 at retail. That comes standard with specifications like a 1.7GHz Ivy Bridge i5 processor, 4GB of RAM, USB 3, Thunderbolt and a lot more. Hell, it only weighs .38 pounds more and is just as thin. So Microsoft, tell me again why I would want to purchase your tablet and not an ultrabook despite having more bang for my buck?
Again, the Intel-based Surface is an alternative to ultrabooks. You lose a bit of horsepower as a trade-off for getting a touch-screen, a lighter device, and slightly more portability.
Quote:
Microsoft is shooting themselves in the foot by announcing this product with no release date or price in sight. By time the Surface is released, Apple will probably have the fourth-generation of the iPad coming right around the corner.
Arm-based Surface will be out around October. The 4th iPad will likely be announced late March or early April. 6 to 7 months is a long time, especially when one of those products comes out right before Christmas.
Quote:
We all know the drill, it'll set the bar again for how tablets should be.
Maybe it will. But that's how competition works.
Quote:
Because, really, can you name me another device that is rocking a 2048x1536 display for under $500?
Please. Don't get me wrong... the 2048x1536 display is great... but I'd rather take a 16x9 1920x1080 display that doesn't display videos cropped or with more black bars than necessary. Personal preference is a funny thing.
Quote:
Unless Microsoft undercuts the price of the Surface for Windows RT a la Amazon did for the Kindle Fire,
From what I recall, the Fire's price is higher than the build cost. Amazon specifically went for the low-margin market, and they're doing just fine there; everything Amazon does is low-margin, high volume. Apple plays in high-margins and they're doing extremely well.
Quote:
we're going to see Zune 2.0 all over again where Microsoft launches a product to compete against Apple and falls flat on their ass.
I think MS learned from their mistakes with the Zune, but time will tell.
Quote:
If I was a shareholder at Microsoft, I'd be hoping for Ballmer's demise. There's no innovation with the Surface on display, because really, it looks like a Transformer Prime. Only if Asus decided to vomit pastel colors all over the place.
Right, because inactive rows and columns of icons is SO fucking innovative. Apple hasn't truly innovated with their mobile operating system since 2007. In 2007, you had rows and columns of icons, and in 2012 you still have rows and columns of fucking icons.

Cheers.
Old 06-19-12, 01:36 AM   #34
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
This is what I don't get. I can go to Fry's right this moment and pick up an Acer ultrabook for $999 with specs that blow the Surface for Windows 8 Pro right out of the water based upon Microsoft's suggested pricing. What's the benefit for the tablet other than a touch screen and it weights slightly less?

If you're going to price a tablet at anywhere from $800 - $1000, give the customers a game changer. Don't give them a reduced ultrabook with a touch screen.
What specs are those that you're referring to? Other then some minor details about size and ports, there isn't much more information about the Windows 8 Pro version to compare other then knowing it will probably be an Ivy Bridge chip. I have an older CULV Core 2 laptop, and it still works fine and can play games so I wouldn't peg a low voltage Ivy Bridge CPU to exactly be bad in this sort of device.

Anyway, i'd say the benefit is the form factor and size sans keyboard, and easy interface to download and launch apps. I think the Surface would be able to accomplish those things with the Metro interface... with the ability to go into the normal Windows desktop for more complicated tasks. Windows 8 actually seems pretty well suited to do such a thing (on paper, anyway). To me, those are enough to sacrifice some horse power, while still not weak enough (like using say, an Atom CPU) to cripple normal Windows performance.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 06-19-12, 01:51 AM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Great for you. I'd love to plug a USB flash drive into a tablet to display photos, videos, etc. without filling up the internal memory with such temporary stuff when I travel and don't have access to wifi/3G.
Too bad I rarely need to access photos and videos. Thankfully, wherever I use my iPad, I'm in access of WiFi almost 24/7.

Quote:
Right, but that's a separate device now isn't it? You require an iPad, AppleTV, and an HDTV to do that. MS is offering a solution that cuts out the needless AppleTV.
The AppleTV isn't needless as it gives me the ability to have my entire iTunes library within my home theater. The AirPlay functionality of the iPad is an added bonus.

There's a bunch of other useless shit that you wrote in your post, but the other part worth addressing:

Quote:
Please. Don't get me wrong... the 2048x1536 display is great... but I'd rather take a 16x9 1920x1080 display that doesn't display videos cropped or with more black bars than necessary. Personal preference is a funny thing.
Did you shit a brick when TVs were 4:3 and letterboxes content was available? You know how many times I've sat and watched a television show or movie on my iPad? Zero. The iPad is great for short clips and videos where I could care less if I have a 4:3 or 16:9 display in front of me. The black bars don't bother me at all. The beauty of it is I have plenty of televisions around my house for when I want to sit down for a few hours to watch a movie in 1080p.

Quote:
From what I recall, the Fire's price is higher than the build cost. Amazon specifically went for the low-margin market, and they're doing just fine there; everything Amazon does is low-margin, high volume. Apple plays in high-margins and they're doing extremely well.
Microsoft did the exact same for the Xbox and Xbox 360. If they want dominance, they need to do the same here. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Microsoft as I believe the 360 is the best console on the market. However, if Microsoft prices the Surface with Windows RT at the same price as an iPad... well, the product is done for.

Quote:
I think MS learned from their mistakes.
Have you seen Windows 8?

Quote:
Right, because inactive rows and columns of icons is SO fucking innovative. Apple hasn't truly innovated with their mobile operating system since 2007. In 2007, you had rows and columns of icons, and in 2012 you still have rows and columns of fucking icons.
Yes, because Metro is a crowd pleaser with everyone who hates it on their 360 and those who've participated in the Windows 8 beta.
Old 06-19-12, 03:43 AM   #36
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Too bad I rarely need to access photos and videos. Thankfully, wherever I use my iPad, I'm in access of WiFi almost 24/7.
Wonderful. I'd garner that you're in the minority there. Most people care about viewing and sharing their stupid photos from their boring vacations when they're out and about

Quote:
The AppleTV isn't needless as it gives me the ability to have my entire iTunes library within my home theater. The AirPlay functionality of the iPad is an added bonus.
and I can do that with my HTPC. I can even play Blu-ray on mine. Amazing! Just because you/I have all of these devices, doesn't mean most people do. Believe it or not, most people don't own a single Apple product, let alone the endless Apple products you seem to have in your home.

Quote:
There's a bunch of other useless shit that you wrote in your post,
You mean, clarifying that the majority of your arguments FOR the iPad are matched by every other tablet on the market, including Microsoft Surface? Yeah... useless facts.
Quote:
but the other part worth addressing:
Did you shit a brick when TVs were 4:3 and letterboxes content was available? You know how many times I've sat and watched a television show or movie on my iPad? Zero. The iPad is great for short clips and videos where I could care less if I have a 4:3 or 16:9 display in front of me. The black bars don't bother me at all. The beauty of it is I have plenty of televisions around my house for when I want to sit down for a few hours to watch a movie in 1080p.
Jesus christ, man. Did you miss the part where I said it was my personal preference? There's a thousand different reasons to prefer a 16x9 display. I provided only one example. Unlike you, I use my current tablet to watch TV shows and movies all the time, while travelling. So while I can manage black bars just fine, I'm still inclined to pick a form factor that better meets MY needs when given the choice. Is that really so hard to comprehend?

Quote:
Microsoft did the exact same for the Xbox and Xbox 360. If they want dominance, they need to do the same here. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Microsoft as I believe the 360 is the best console on the market. However, if Microsoft prices the Surface with Windows RT at the same price as an iPad... well, the product is done for.
You may be right. But the iPad-equivalent Android tablets are absolute garbage. Windows RT and Windows 8 Pro will be the only viable alternatives. I'd expect the lowest-end Windows RT tablet to be in the $400 range, and I'd expect the lowest-end Windows 8 Pro tablet to be in the $800 range. That's still cheaper than the most expensive iPad, but with functionality that meets the needs of corporate drones like myself.

Quote:
Have you seen Windows 8?
I use it along side Windows 7 every single day, and I prefer 8 in every way. Despite what some tech pundits and nerds are saying, it's actually a significant improvement, and far more consumer-friendly than previous versions. The problem is, MS didn't include any sort of tutorials in the previews. That'll change with the final release, to be sure. Whether or not it gets embraced by the general public is another story. I think it will, especially in the tablet market.

Quote:
Yes, because Metro is a crowd pleaser with everyone who hates it on their 360 and those who've participated in the Windows 8 beta.
If there's anything you can count on, it's people complaining about changes. They'll get over it, just like they did when Windows XP came out, just like they did when Apple switched to Intel, just like they did when DVD replaced VHS/laserdisc (Kevin Smith: "Fuck DVD!"), just like they did when Blu-ray and Netflix streaming came out, just like they did when CDs replaced Cassettes, just like they did when Neil Peart replaced John Rutsey, etc. etc.
All of the above were changes for the better, but people didn't think so right away.

Yes, the iPad is a great product for $500 and yet a severely overpriced product at $830. But if Microsoft and their plethora of partners are releasing lesser, equal, or better products ranging from $400 to $1000 (my guess), then they're going to gain some traction. Despite all the love for Apple, there are still millions of people who don't care for their stuff. I think the Microsoft tablets (from all partners) will appease that market moreso than the shitty Android tablets out there.
Old 06-19-12, 06:07 AM   #37
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like everything I see about it except for windows 8. With the big corny tiles and simple color schemes, it looks like what would happen if Playskool or Fisher Price designed an os. Kinda "My First Tablet".
Old 06-19-12, 06:11 AM   #38
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While the iPad is a great device, there are some obvious limitations:

1. You can't see a lot of "live updates" of information.

2. Trying to type out text on touchscreen only is kind of a pain.

3. There is no hardware I/O other than devices approved by Apple to connect to the 30-pin iPod dock connector.

If think if priced right, the Microsoft Surface (and closely related competing devices) that use Windows RT could be hot sellers.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Old 06-19-12, 09:01 AM   #39
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Do you even own a Mac? A lot of the iOS integration originally started on the Mac, became upgraded within the iOS and then updated on the Mac OS X. If anything, iOS is a great way to beta test features and services on a mass level to see if they'll work on a larger platform.

Looking at Mountain Lion and its integration of features on iOS, there's a lot of stuff that already existed on the Mac. For example:
  • iMessage is just an upgrade to iChat as it still keeps in the basic functionality that iChat had (AIM, Jabber, etc) with the addition of the iMessage service.
  • Notification Center is not new for those who already had Growl or similar software installed on their Mac.
  • I like the fact that iCloud has more integration (Notes, Reminders) considering .Mac and MobileMe barely had integration during their tenures. Yes, I've been a member since .Mac.
  • The built-in Chess application is maybe the only positive feature I can think of Game Center being on the Mac OS X.
Even with Facebook and Twitter integration that I'll never use (because I don't even use them on the iOS), Mountain Lion doesn't change how I've been using my Macs since the beginning of last decade. In fact, I'm pretty stoked that AirPlay is one of the driving features of the upgrade.

Worst case scenario: I get better, updated drivers for Boot Camp.

Either way, iOS works on a mobile platform. If they were to bring Mac OS X to a tablet, it wouldn't work as there's too much functionality that requires more than touch-screen environment. One would need a keyboard and mouse which defeats the purpose of needing a tablet in the first place.
Yes I own a Mac. And an iPad, several iPhones, and a few Apple TVs.

Don't you think that "Launchpad" and the magic trackpad are bridging the gap to touchscreen interfaces? I wouldn't be surprised if iMacs adopt that sooner than later.

But you did prove my point about some of the services merging. They may be "Mac OS X" evolutions or equivalents and not exactly the same thing that's on iOS, but because they share a common language, Apple is clearly trying to make it seamless for users to switch between their devices and have recognizable features.

You talked about not wanting to play a particular game on an iOS device, that's a personal preference that I don't think many share. Certainly Civilization V can be played on a tablet because it's a point and click game anyway and it won't suffer from the translation. Just because you don't want to play it that way means neither that it can't or shouldn't be played that way.

Every iteration, Mac OS X and iOS get closer to being functionally and aesthetically the same. Yes you can do more on a Mac, but that has more to do with it being a fuller hardware set. I'm not arguing that Mac OS X is locking down features (unless you count App Store Sandboxing), just simply that they're working towards a unified presentation.

You're pretty defensive about the role of a "tablet" in your world! iOS devices support BlueTooth input as well. Is that an abomination?
Old 06-19-12, 09:35 AM   #40
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang View Post
While the iPad is a great device, there are some obvious limitations:

1. You can't see a lot of "live updates" of information.
This is where Windows 8 (RT) shines, in my opinion. The implementation is far better conceived than the typical widgets in Android. While the Live Tiles do look a little cheesy in screen caps, that's mainly because they haven't yet been populated with anything. I agree that the default "solid colour" tiles look a little silly, but anything that uses your information to populate the tile... those are fantastic when you're actually using the computer.
Old 06-19-12, 09:55 AM   #41
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I own several iPads and iPods --- they are fantastic but I've always been a PC user because it's what I'm comfortable with. I'm confused as to why Microsoft thinks they can enter this market and compete. I don't care what the OS is, it won't compete. What didn't they learn with Zune that they can learn here?
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 06-19-12, 10:13 AM   #42
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I know I'm probably coming off as a MS fanboy in this thread, but I'm not. I couldn't care less if they succeed or fail. That said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I'm confused as to why Microsoft thinks they can enter this market and compete.
iPad is the market leader, and probably always will be.
Android tablets in the same category are garbage.
Microsoft has LOTS of hardware partners who are releasing Windows 8 tablets.
Microsoft wants a "flagship" product to spearhead the launch of Windows 8 on tablets.
Microsoft has made all sorts of hardware for decades, so it makes sense that they'd make their own flagship tablet, instead of using a specific partner.

Honestly, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't compete.

Should HP, Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba, Asus, Acer, Sony, Vizio, Samsung, and all the rest of Microsoft's hardware partners just give up entirely?
Old 06-19-12, 10:14 AM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

I'm looking forward to see how this plays out. I'd love to have something that can completely combine my laptop and tablet.
Old 06-19-12, 10:43 AM   #44
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Have you seen Windows 8?

Windows 8 takes some getting used to, but everyone I actually know who has used it, loves it. These are software developers and UI designers too (like myself), so their opinions carry some weight.

There are a lot of people out there stating that the tables have inexplicably flipped and that MS is the innovative one with Apple the stagnant one who is being too conservative for their own good. This has been borne out in a lot of the reviews I've read of Mountain Lion, which have been rather middling. At least they finally figured out how to run apps full screen now though.

"Mordred is a very smart man." - JasonF
Old 06-19-12, 10:45 AM   #45
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Android tablets in the same category are garbage.
I love how this generalization keeps being perpetuated even though it's patently untrue.
Old 06-19-12, 10:56 AM   #46
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
I'm looking forward to see how this plays out. I'd love to have something that can completely combine my laptop and tablet.
People keep saying that, but I suspect it isn't going to work out as well as you expect it to.

The keyboard on the Surface isn't hinged in the same way that a laptop/ultrabook is. It is a "floppy" hinge, meaning that the kickstand will be necessary to prop the display up. I question how effective that will be when holding the device in your lap (which is easy to do with an ultrabook).
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
My DVDs
Old 06-19-12, 11:00 AM   #47
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
I know I'm probably coming off as a MS fanboy in this thread, but I'm not.
I actually thought you may work for MS, since you seem to know what the tablet and Windows 8/RT will do.

Or maybe you've read up on them better than I have.
Old 06-19-12, 11:08 AM   #48
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
People keep saying that, but I suspect it isn't going to work out as well as you expect it to.

The keyboard on the Surface isn't hinged in the same way that a laptop/ultrabook is. It is a "floppy" hinge, meaning that the kickstand will be necessary to prop the display up. I question how effective that will be when holding the device in your lap (which is easy to do with an ultrabook).
I'm under the impression that it has a virtual keyboard as well. So if I'm at a desk (like I would be during class), I can use the physical keyboard. When I'm using it more as a tablet (like I would laying/sitting on my couch), I can use the virtual keyboard. Maybe I'm wrong, all I did was watch the promo video on Microsofts website.

The fact that it has USB is a big plus for me. Right now, all I use my actual laptop for is for Office and moving files to and from my iPad. If I can just plug in an external HD right to the tablet, it would save the middle man.
Old 06-19-12, 11:16 AM   #49
DVD Talk Special Edition

All I know is - I've been ready to take the plunge and buy an iPad. I think I'll now wait a few months to see what Microsoft's looks like and is priced at. Definitely intrigued.

P.S. Sorry for not arguing with you all.
Old 06-19-12, 11:36 AM   #50

You'd think Microsoft would have learned with from the CES 2010 Microsoft Slate debacle, and this time around had announcement saying, "...and it is shipping today for $xxx" -- but no -- no ship date, no price, no battery life, no screen specs, nada. If this isn't vaporware, I don't know what is.

Mind you, I do firmly believe that the Surface will ship by the end of 2012, because if it doesn't I don't see how Ballmer survives -- after he just did his very best to "Osborne" the Windows Ultrabook market.

Ballmer has made some (probably all) Windows OEMs very, very angry. Which is yet another reason this should have been announced the day it was ready to ship. Yeah, maybe they will delay the odd Android or iPad sale, but they will absolutely decimate the portable Windows market -- maybe I am missing something, but I just don't get it.