Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-10-12, 09:51 PM   #1
That'sAllFolks
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Best recommendation for a new printer ...

My Kodak 7250 crapped out on me. the Help line said it was a hardware failure in which the communication to the print head was compromised. It would print blank pages, even when test printing.

Anyway, Kodak had good customer service (I got 2 replacement printers and 1 head replacement free), but their product does not seem reliable. The ink was relatively cheap, but I'm looking for something even cheaper.

Since I really don't need color,what kind of recommendations can I get concerning good lasers. There is a Brother on sale this week at Best Buy(Model HL-2270DW) for 110 that seems decent. I print about 40-50 pages a week -- all black.

Any recommendations or suggestions? TIA!
Old 04-10-12, 09:57 PM   #2
X
Administrator

Re: Best recommendation for a new printer ...

You can usually get basic Brother or Samsung lasers for around $60 on sale.

Here's a wireless Brother for $80 (the same one as at Best Buy): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...l-_-28-113-545
Old 04-11-12, 01:01 PM   #3
BartleyR7

I own that printer (Brother HL-2270DW) and it's great for my printing needs. The toner gets excellent life, and the WiFi works great (I've never used it via USB or Ethernet). This replaced my previous Brother (HL-2170W). For my needs, I really wanted (a) WiFi ability and (b) double-sided printing. In my opinion, it's a great deal.

Amazon has it on sale right now for $82 if you're still interested. I've had zero issues with it. The WiFi setup could be easier, but they have a wizard (on CD or available via download) if you aren't that tech-savy.
Website || PS3: BartleyR7 || D3: BMan#1227
Old 04-11-12, 09:07 PM   #4
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Yea, I think the only way to get cheaper ink than the kodak is to go a basic laser. When my current Kodak goes out, I'll probably go that route.

Home Theater Build
Old 04-12-12, 07:31 PM   #5
That'sAllFolks
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks all. The Amazon price went up to 90 bucks, so I ordered from Newegg (have onlybought 1 BD from them a couple of BF ago, but they seem to have a good rep). Even got the 3 year Extended warranty for 17 bucks. Seemed like a no-brainer with free printer preplacement and free shipping.

With my Kodak, I bought some replacement cartridges off of eBay. I then had problems that necessitated Kodak sending me a new printhead. Do you all use non-OEM cartridges, and if so, do they seem to work OK ... and where do you buy them?
Old 04-12-12, 08:27 PM   #6
TheBigDave
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks View Post
With my Kodak, I bought some replacement cartridges off of eBay. I then had problems that necessitated Kodak sending me a new printhead. Do you all use non-OEM cartridges, and if so, do they seem to work OK ... and where do you buy them?
I use a Lexmark, and I haven't found any refilled cartridges that I liked. So I just stick with the official toner. But I rarely print, so I only buy 1-2 per year.

A couple months ago I set-up a Brother all-in-one for my folks. It uses those Black/Yellow/Cyan/Magenta cartridges. Grabbed a bulk pack at Amazon for around $6. They work perfectly and last forever. I was really surprised. I probably wouldn't use them for printing photos. But for standard everyday printing, I couldn't tell the difference.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P8R8PC/
Old 04-14-12, 06:53 PM   #7
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Seconded X's recommendation. I have a Brother laser printer that's printed out well over 5,000 pages without a single hitch.

My color printer stopped working after 1/20th of that time.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 04-16-12, 01:39 PM   #8
BartleyR7

Quote:
Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks View Post
I tend to stick with OEM cartridges and drums, so I don't have any personal experience for that printer. I do know that work purchased some refiled, non-OEM cartridges for a color HP laser printer a while back, and all four toner cartridges leaked all over the inside of the printer (effectively ruining it). That's my only knowledge of refiled cartridges, so I tend to stay away. YMMV
Website || PS3: BartleyR7 || D3: BMan#1227
Old 04-27-13, 12:48 PM   #9
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

In the market for a new AIO printer and figured I'd bump an old thread instead of starting a new one.

Basically I want a decent machine in the $100-150 range that does the basic AIO features with wireless capability. Handling of envelopes and autoduplexing would be a bonus, and I may do some photo printing. At first I was thinking of HP, but saw a good-looking Epson Workforce (3540) at a store and like the print speed and features. I've also heard that HP ink is expensive, and it seems a lot of people here like Brother so I'm open to thoughts.
Challenges: Sci-Fi 2014 | Historical 2014 | Make-Your-Own 2014 | Drive-In 2014 | Action 2014 | Academy Award 2014 | TV on DVD* 2014 | Holiday 2013 | Comedy 2013 | Horror 2013 | Criterion 2013 | Animation 2013 | | Leap Day 2012
Old 04-27-13, 01:17 PM   #10
TheBigDave
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
A couple months ago I set-up a Brother all-in-one for my folks. It uses those Black/Yellow/Cyan/Magenta cartridges. Grabbed a bulk pack at Amazon for around $6. They work perfectly and last forever. I was really surprised. I probably wouldn't use them for printing photos. But for standard everyday printing, I couldn't tell the difference.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P8R8PC/
I was gonna +1 this post, then realized that I'm the one that wrote it.

Anyways, it's a year later and that Brother AIO is still going strong. Those cheap ink carts are amazing. My folks print every day, and spend less than $10 a year on ink. Next time I get a printer for myself, I'm buying one of these.
Old 04-27-13, 02:28 PM   #11
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

I got the Canon mx892 for $60 last year and it works great and has cheap ink. Wireless printing from android and apple work and has duplex printing.
Old 04-28-13, 03:30 PM   #12
Cardiff Giant11
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got a wireless brother laser all in one for like 130 bucks and love it. Works great and on the rare occasion I need to print color (usually a photo), I run to the local Rite Aide with a USB stick in tow and just do it there.
Old 04-28-13, 10:43 PM   #13
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
I got the Canon mx892 for $60 last year and it works great and has cheap ink. Wireless printing from android and apple work and has duplex printing.
I bought this printer a couple weeks ago for $80 from Amazon, it is a fantastic printer so far. I tried out some generic ink and it is great quality and very cheap ($10 / full set)

The wireless + google cloud printing support is excellent. Not the fastest unit out there but it works very well, 300 page paper tray and duplex support is a nice plus.
Old 04-28-13, 11:17 PM   #14
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I bought this printer a couple weeks ago for $80 from Amazon, it is a fantastic printer so far. I tried out some generic ink and it is great quality and very cheap ($10 / full set)

The wireless + google cloud printing support is excellent. Not the fastest unit out there but it works very well, 300 page paper tray and duplex support is a nice plus.
for wifi printing, my old router didn't work. I had to pay $10 for a linksys e1200, and then wifi printing worked fine.
Old 05-02-13, 11:44 AM   #15
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

So the same day I bumped this thread, I did end up getting a printer , the Epson Workforce 3520. A lot like the 3540 I was initially looking at but a little smaller and cheaper. I went to OfficeMax specifically to compare size and features, and their sale was better than online prices so I just bit. I did compare Brother, Canon, and HP, but liked the features and look of this one.

Just closing the loop on my experience--thanks to those who contributed opinions!
Challenges: Sci-Fi 2014 | Historical 2014 | Make-Your-Own 2014 | Drive-In 2014 | Action 2014 | Academy Award 2014 | TV on DVD* 2014 | Holiday 2013 | Comedy 2013 | Horror 2013 | Criterion 2013 | Animation 2013 | | Leap Day 2012
Old 05-08-13, 12:10 AM   #16
Norm de Plume
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In case anyone's still interested, I echo what others have written about Brother lasers. I have the DCP-7030 and am very happy. Text is extremely sharp, printer is fast, toner is cheap. Bottom line: if you don't need to print photos or colour, get a cheap b&w laser printer.

"The richest man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least."