Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-09-12, 07:29 AM   #1
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What are my options here.. (Cell phone related)..

So I'm changing jobs and my current job provided me with an iPhone.. Now the new job I can expense my bill but the phone will be under my name etc..

I've always had an iPhone (3G, 3Gs, 4) and love them and want to stick with it.. However, here's the thing.. Say I get an iPhone 4s and a new 2 year contract.. Well rumors are the new iPhone 5 will be possibly coming in July?

That would suck big time to have to wait almost two years (or shell out $700) to get the new iPhone 5..

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do as to not screw myself into having to wait? I definitely need a smart phone for my new job so wondered if there was some type of monthly plan I could possibly do and see if the new iPhone comes out in July?

Thanks!
Michael: When I was five, I imagined that there was such a thing as a unicorn. And this is before I even heard of one or seen one. I just drew a picture of a horse that could fly over rainbows and had a huge spike in its head. I was five, five years old... couldn't even talk yet.

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 04-09-12, 07:53 AM   #2
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Re: What are my options here.. (Cell phone related)..

No one knows when they new iPhone is coming out, rumors are all over the place. If you must have a 5 when it comes out, buy a used off contract iPhone now, and in a few, months buy a 5 on contract.
Old 04-09-12, 07:55 AM   #3
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So if I get a used off contract phone how does that work? Does AT&T or Verizon offer pay by the month?
Michael: When I was five, I imagined that there was such a thing as a unicorn. And this is before I even heard of one or seen one. I just drew a picture of a horse that could fly over rainbows and had a huge spike in its head. I was five, five years old... couldn't even talk yet.

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 04-09-12, 11:31 AM   #4
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, both offer their post paid service month to month. You will have to pay an activation fee. If you choose att, you should be able to go prepaid and pay no activation fee, but it might be cheaper to go month to month if you use a lot of data. You can also use a att mvno prepaid. If you have an unlocked iPhone, you should also be able to use tmo or one of its mvnos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird2340 View Post
So if I get a used off contract phone how does that work? Does AT&T or Verizon offer pay by the month?
Old 04-09-12, 03:29 PM   #5
joeblow69
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm in a similar situation ... I have an EVO that just went off contract, and I want to switch to an iPhone. I'd like to wait until the 5 comes out, but my evo is really starting to malfunction badly. I'm thinking of just buying the 4s & 2 year contract now, and when the 5 comes out, buy the non-contract price version ($650-700) then sell the 4s on ebay or craigslist.

Unless there's some other way to get a cheap no contract smartphone that would last me until the iphone 5 comes out?
Old 04-09-12, 03:48 PM   #6
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess that's an option too that I didn't think of... However, how would that work? So if you bought a 4S now and 5 months down the line the 5 came out and you bought it for the non-contract price of $700... Would you then be able to sell the 4S and have someone use it??

Still.. That's a lot of cash..

$200 for 4S w/ 2 year contract..
$700 for iPhone 5
$900 out of pocket

Sell iPhone 4S for $400 and you're still $500 out of pocket..

What I'm looking at doing is spending around $250 to get a used iPhone 4 and then buy the iPhone 5 under contract when it comes out.. Then I'll sell my iPhone 4..

$250 Used iPhone4
$200 Contracted iPhone 5
$450 Out of Pocket

Sell iPhone 4 for around $150 = $300 out of pocket..

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 04-09-12, 04:12 PM   #7
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

A used iPhone 4 is probably your best bet for temporary usage. There are cheaper options, but if you want iPhone,that would be your cheapest reasonable option.
Old 04-09-12, 04:12 PM   #8
joeblow69

well if you can find a used iPhone4 for only $250, let me know where. I don't get the impression that you will find it at that price
Old 04-09-12, 04:16 PM   #9
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I'm in a similar situation ... I have an EVO that just went off contract, and I want to switch to an iPhone. I'd like to wait until the 5 comes out, but my evo is really starting to malfunction badly. I'm thinking of just buying the 4s & 2 year contract now, and when the 5 comes out, buy the non-contract price version ($650-700) then sell the 4s on ebay or craigslist.

Unless there's some other way to get a cheap no contract smartphone that would last me until the iphone 5 comes out?
I bought a $50 new no contract smartphone,it isnt in the same caliber as the 4s of course,but usable. Of course,the more you are willing to spend, the better the phone you will get
Old 04-10-12, 01:31 PM   #10
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
well if you can find a used iPhone4 for only $250, let me know where. I don't get the impression that you will find it at that price
Craigslist.. There are numerous in my area (and I live in a relatively small town) that are around $280-$350.. Just a mater of time until someone bites at $250.

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 04-10-12, 02:17 PM   #11
joeblow69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird2340 View Post
Craigslist.. There are numerous in my area (and I live in a relatively small town) that are around $280-$350.. Just a mater of time until someone bites at $250.
Ah, I'd probably be too scared to do something like that. There's a lot of phones being sold with bad ESNs out there. If you can, make sure you get the ESN off the phone, and call into your cell provider and make sure it's still good before you hand over the cash.
Old 04-10-12, 03:01 PM   #12
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Right, you get the ESN and call Verizon before the purchase.

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 04-10-12, 03:10 PM   #13
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.cowboom.com/deal-of-the-day.cfm

I'm not a fan of iPhones, so I agree with the other route -- get a cheapo smartphone until the iPhone 5 comes out. It'll give you a nice little change before going back to that blandly familiar interface for 2 more years.
Old 04-10-12, 03:14 PM   #14
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How could you not be a fan!? I'm not an Apple fanboi by ANY means but I don't think anything else compares.. I have a Droid tablet (Asus Transformer) and I never ever use it.. I think that's because of the Droid IOS..

I've had to setup a few Droid phones for users and just not a fan of the interface, lag, etc..

What do you like?

Also, how reputable is that site because that's a helluva deal.

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 04-10-12, 03:20 PM   #15
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

It's owned by Best Buy, you shouldn't have an issue. It is pre-owned though and it doesn't seem to come with all the cables.

iPhone OS works fine, but it's either stable and too locked down or open and too unstable (once you start tweaking post jailbreak). I've had minimal if any lag on my phones (Droid Incredible, Droid Razr Maxx) but I have used some that were simply awful. Mostly though iOS, to me, is just bland. It's the same static screens of icons every release, with the same bland primary apps (messaging, dialers, etc; ) I like having the ability to customize (Launchers, lock screens, dialers, messaging apps, etc; ), not being stuck on a 3.5" screen, having 4G LTE, etc;

Apple does have a better App Store in general (well, Apple versions of most apps tend to look more polished), and better music player.

That said, if WebOS had a better app store it would have been a contender. I haven't played with Windows Phone 7 enough to give a real opinion on the OS, outside of it being overly locked down initially (no custom ringtones? really?), most of that appears to have been fixed.

It's all a preference thing.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-10-12 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-10-12, 03:41 PM   #16
joeblow69

thanks for posting that link ... I went ahead and bought one. I'm a little worried about condition, though. All it says is:
Product Grade: 5 - Some scratches and/or signs of use
but it doesn't say what the scale is! Is it on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being worst? or best?
Old 04-10-12, 03:42 PM   #17
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea, I thought the same thing which is why I haven't pulled the trigger just yet.. My luck I'll decide to grab it later and they will be gone..

I did do a live chat with them and they said they have a no questions asked return policy. So if you get it and it's too blemished for your liking you can send it back for a full refund which is good..

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 04-10-12, 03:50 PM   #18
kefrank
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
It's all a preference thing.
I agree that it's a preference thing and I'm in line with most of your preferences. In addition, I like the OS-level back button functionality and the home screen widgets on Android.
Old 04-10-12, 03:52 PM   #19
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I just pulled the trigger too.. $275 after taxes and shipping for the 32GB.. Hope it looks good cosmetically..

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 04-10-12, 03:54 PM   #20
joeblow69

So I guess I shoulda asked ... ATT is ok with me starting up an account with them and bringing my own phone? And not having to sign a 2 year contract?
(tbird you did notice this is an ATT phone, not verizon, right?)
Old 04-10-12, 03:55 PM   #21
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just did an online chat with them.. It's going to be about $90 for unlimited texting, 3GB data, and 450 minutes plus taxes..

So yea, they are fine w/ month to month..

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 04-10-12, 05:15 PM   #22
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Of course they are ok with it. If you buy a phone on contract, they have to subsidized it. Going month to month costs the same and they don't have to subsidize it.
Old 04-10-12, 08:39 PM   #23
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They (cowboom.com) now have the 16GB for $230 + tax and shipping..

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 04-10-12, 08:49 PM   #24
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
thanks for posting that link ... I went ahead and bought one. I'm a little worried about condition, though. All it says is:
Product Grade: 5 - Some scratches and/or signs of use
but it doesn't say what the scale is! Is it on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being worst? or best?
1 is the worst, 10 is the best.

https://www.cowboom.com/faq.cfm?QID=35&nfs
Old 04-11-12, 07:52 AM   #25
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Fyi, you can buy a brand new just released 4glte smartphone with a larger screen than the iPhone for $350 no contact price and can be used on att.
Sponsored Links