Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-11-12, 08:21 AM   #26
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: What are my options here.. (Cell phone related)..

Just canceled my order as someone just replied to my ad on craigslist and I just bought a Black 16GB AT&T iPhone 4 for $250..

He mentioned www.straighttalk.com. He said unlimited voice, data, and texting is $45.. Anyone ever hear if this is a reputable service etc?

Thanks
Michael: When I was five, I imagined that there was such a thing as a unicorn. And this is before I even heard of one or seen one. I just drew a picture of a horse that could fly over rainbows and had a huge spike in its head. I was five, five years old... couldn't even talk yet.

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 04-11-12, 08:27 AM   #27
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

You'll need to unlock your phone but yeah a lot of people use Straight Talk, it's Walmart's exclusive Wireless Carrier (sub-brand of TracFone).
Old 04-11-12, 08:29 AM   #28
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, I don't think you do need to unlock your phone.. If you go here on the SIM shopping page it asks you to select the type of phone you have: http://www.straighttalk.com/shopsims

AT&T Compatible is listed..
Michael: When I was five, I imagined that there was such a thing as a unicorn. And this is before I even heard of one or seen one. I just drew a picture of a horse that could fly over rainbows and had a huge spike in its head. I was five, five years old... couldn't even talk yet.

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 04-11-12, 08:35 AM   #29
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah you're right, Straight Talk is straight up AT&T now. You'll have to Jailbreak to get MMS though.

http://aaltonen.us/2012/02/07/howto-...t-talk-iphone/
Old 04-11-12, 08:48 AM   #30
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Straight Talk is a att mvno so no need to unlock. Just remember though that customer service is through straight Talk, not att. Att won't help you with any problems on straight Talk. Also, the rules can be, different. For example, att allows for up to5gb data depending on phone assuming unlpbefore throttling, mvnos generally have less, or perhaps different rules. If you use a lot of data, if you are on Verizon unlimited, then 4glte is not throttled but 3g is.
Old 04-11-12, 08:50 AM   #31
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Straight Talk apparently has "true" unlimited but some say it stops you after every 2 gigs to ask why you're using so much data. It throttles at around 1.5mbps - 3mbps which isn't bad.
Old 04-11-12, 08:50 AM   #32
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just signed up.. Free next day shipping so I should be able to try it out tomorrow..

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 04-11-12, 09:07 AM   #33
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Straight Talk apparently has "true" unlimited but some say it stops you after every 2 gigs to ask why you're using so much data. It throttles at around 1.5mbps - 3mbps which isn't bad.
Just depends on your usage. I have used 25-30gb a month on Verizon 4glte unlimited and unthrottled. For heavy data users, then straight Talk might not be a good plan as using that much may get you dropped from some mvnos.
Old 04-11-12, 09:14 AM   #34
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think any budget mvno is going to be the choice if you need truly unlimited, fast internet. From what I understand though, ST doesn't bitch about overuse, it just stops you every 2gb for a minute.
Old 04-11-12, 09:46 AM   #35
Cusm
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Straighttalk does not allow streaming video or audio. You also have to unlock the phone to get MMS, but not for plain text IIRC. You can order either a normal sim or the 4(s) micro sim online for $15 and then do the $45 plan. I am looking for a deal on a 3GS or 4 for my wife to switch over to straight talk. I wish the 5 would come out so I could just give her my 4.
XBL:Cusm PSN:DarthCusm D3:Cusm#1847
Old 04-18-12, 02:46 PM   #36
joeblow69
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So I got the cowboom phone today, and i have to say, it looks fan-friggin-tastic! I would have never guessed it was used, not a scratch on it. Charging it up now, hopefully there's no mechanical problems with it (battery or buttons, etc..)
Old 04-18-12, 02:54 PM   #37
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
So I got the cowboom phone today, and i have to say, it looks fan-friggin-tastic! I would have never guessed it was used, not a scratch on it. Charging it up now, hopefully there's no mechanical problems with it (battery or buttons, etc..)
That's good to hear.. The one I got off craigslist looked damn near perfect. I turned it on and did the basic functions (that you can do w/ no service) to make sure it worked and it did..

Ordered my straighttalk service and got it ported over.. Now the effin home button only works when it wants to. I don't know if it's hardware or software but it's very intermittent! I tried canned air, I tried pushing the charger up while it's plugged in (and it did work when I pushed up) but then didn't when I unplugged / didn't push up..

Argh

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 04-18-12, 08:44 PM   #38
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
glad that it works well for you. cowboom is kinda a crap shoot. sometimes it's good other times, not so much. but you can always return with cowboom so it isn't really a big deal.
Old 04-19-12, 03:34 PM   #39
twikoff
DVD Talk God

if it helps.. the latest rumors are projecting october at the earliest

http://www.redmondpie.com/next-iphon...ortage-report/
Old 04-19-12, 07:56 PM   #40
joeblow69

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
glad that it works well for you. cowboom is kinda a crap shoot. sometimes it's good other times, not so much. but you can always return with cowboom so it isn't really a big deal.
Actually turned out to be a piece of crap. It wouldn't hold a charge, and constantly rebooted. Brought it into the apple store, and they looked at the support history on the thing, and the previous owner complained about the same thing. Of course cowboom doesn't actually refurbish the phones, they just sell em in whatever state they get em. Bleh...
Old 04-19-12, 08:40 PM   #41
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Actually turned out to be a piece of crap. It wouldn't hold a charge, and constantly rebooted. Brought it into the apple store, and they looked at the support history on the thing, and the previous owner complained about the same thing. Of course cowboom doesn't actually refurbish the phones, they just sell em in whatever state they get em. Bleh...
correct, cowboom typically sells pre-owned which is basically used. they should however state that it is pre-owned, refurbished, or new. as always with used, there is no warranty (or best to assume so), so always check it out very carefully within the return period.
Old 05-21-12, 09:16 AM   #42
Cusm
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Would the Apple store not swap it out? Was it out of warranty?
XBL:Cusm PSN:DarthCusm D3:Cusm#1847
Old 05-21-12, 09:27 AM   #43
tbird2340
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
You were able to return it to them though, right? 30 day no questions asked?

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 05-21-12, 11:22 AM   #44
joeblow69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird2340 View Post
You were able to return it to them though, right? 30 day no questions asked?
I could have, but didn't want to deal with it, and the possibliity of getting another crapper, so I just let apple swap it out for a real refurb for a not so modest fee.
Old 05-21-12, 03:52 PM   #45
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I could have, but didn't want to deal with it, and the possibliity of getting another crapper, so I just let apple swap it out for a real refurb for a not so modest fee.
What was the cost?
Old 05-21-12, 04:13 PM   #46
dvdjunkie32

I'm excited about Virgin Mobile's 4G service with the HTC Evo V. It looks like a quality smartphone for $300 bucks. Half the cost of contract Verizon so the savings quickly cover up the extra cost for the phone.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/4g?in...gteaser-050212