Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-24-12, 09:25 PM   #1
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Trade any smartphone for a new no contact Windows Phone (Microsoft B&M)

Bring in any smartphone and get any Windows Phone free with trade in. If you do not wish to trade in, you can get any phone free that's in stock, but with 2 year contract.

Long version below.

http://content.microsoftstore.com/st...ial_MSStore_TW

Phones i saw in store

Sprint: I did not see any Sprint phones in store
Verizon: HTC Trophy
AT&T: HTC Titan, Samsung Focus S, a few others
T-Mo: HTC Radar, few others

Microsoft stores (B&M) are having a contest wherein if your phone is faster than their Windows phone, then you will win a computer. The contest is pretty much rigged, all the tasks they are testing for are very easy to do, so it's pretty hard to win the contest. BUT if you lose, you will still get a new no contract Windows phone. Any phone in stock.

I went to the LA store on Santa Monica Blvd and got the Focus S, that's the one I got when I traded in the Palm Pixi which I got for $32 no contract. They said i could not get the 800 and the HTC Titan was OOS. The terms did say while supplies last, so I'd suggest you guys go early.

The test was pretty simple for me, I knew I was going to lose, i didn't even try, just opened my browser. They did check my phone to verify I had 3G connectivity, and at my store, they did not tell me to use wifi, and let me use 3G. I didn't really care because I knew I was going to lose anyway. Mine was the find 4 star restaurant one. For the windows phone, it is just one press. I only had to do one test, and I was not forced to complete the task, but technically, the rules do say that you do have to complete the task. They did make me sign some media disclaimers and hold up a sign saying that I was whoopped by a windows phone and took a picture. They made me sign a video tape disclosure, but they did not videotape me. I also had to sign some recycling disclaimer when recycling my old phone.

Other than that, that's it. I did not have to sign a contract, I did not have to activate the phone, and I did not have to get the same carrier phone. No where in the terms did it say that the phone must be activated before you leave the store. If you're Verizon, you're SOL since they only have the HTC Trophy, which, compared to the other options is crap. But you can still get another phone, and use it for travel (make sure there's an unlock available first), a windows phone version of the ipod touch, or as a gift or whatever. On the Focus S, you do not need a sim to operate and you can initialize the phone without a sim. Of course, you can't call or receive texts or data (but wifi works) w/o a sim.

I talked to the rep and he said that so far in this promo they have given out about 100 phones.

The csr did ask the manager if the palm pixi qualified, but the manager approved. Even if they didn't, i'd fight it, nowhere in the rules did it say it had to be an Android, BB, or iOS, only that it had to be a smartphone and that it could complete the task.

btw, for those interested, the Palm Pixi is $43 shipped with Prime. This is the Verizon version, even if you don't have service, you can start verizon service with this phone on the day you go, and just cancel service on the same day. you would only have to pay a few bux for prorated service(I would suspect under $5), and if you cancel within 3 days, the $35 activation fee is waived.
http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Pixi-Plus.../dp/B004IPAC10

the GSM version is $65.
http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Pixi-Plus.../dp/B005BE0BNQ

I realize that the Amazon prices aren't the best, but you can get them using Prime so you should be able to get them before the promo is over.
Old 03-25-12, 10:03 AM   #2
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Trade any smartphone for a new no contact Windows Phone (Microsoft B&M)

Windows Phones must be selling like gangbusters.
Old 03-25-12, 10:31 AM   #3
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Windows Phones must be selling like gangbusters.
i don't like it as much as android by any means, but it is fast, feels faster than my Rezound, and my Rezound is S3 (dc) while the Focus S I got was a S2. It really depends on what you want to do. for some people it may work ok. and for $50, it is a great smartphone at that price. Even if you didn't want it, you could ebay it, the Focus S and Titan goes for around $300-400 right now. Sure, the price will drop due to the flood, but I highly doubt it would drop to where you won't be making money.
Old 03-25-12, 10:45 AM   #4
Supermallet
Time Lord

I'd be interested in this once Windows 8 comes out for phones. As it is now, I have no use for a Windows phone.
Old 03-25-12, 11:08 AM   #5
starman9000
DVD Talk Legend

I liked my friends Windows phone, but I'll wait for 8 as well (and the Lumia 900). Granted, there isn't a Microsoft store around here so this promo is relevant for me.
Old 03-25-12, 11:09 AM   #6
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I'd be interested in this once Windows 8 comes out for phones. As it is now, I have no use for a Windows phone.
Well, the promotion is only good for a few more days. You can always get it, leave it at home, and if there is a Windows 8 update for windows phones, then voila, a Windows 8 phone. If there isn't an update, you should still be able to sell it without a loss.
Old 03-25-12, 01:08 PM   #7
Supermallet
Time Lord

I have no phone to trade it for. I have a Nexus S 4G, but I don't have Sprint service anymore, so I couldn't do the test because I can't get 3G service. Plus it sounds like Sprint has no WM7 phones.

I'm certainly not going to trade in my iPhone for a Windows phone.
Old 03-25-12, 02:13 PM   #8
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
i don't like it as much as android by any means, but it is fast, feels faster than my Rezound, and my Rezound is S3 (dc) while the Focus S I got was a S2. It really depends on what you want to do. for some people it may work ok. and for $50, it is a great smartphone at that price. Even if you didn't want it, you could ebay it, the Focus S and Titan goes for around $300-400 right now. Sure, the price will drop due to the flood, but I highly doubt it would drop to where you won't be making money.
So not the point.
Old 03-25-12, 03:28 PM   #9
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

I really like Windows Phone; if I wasn't already so heavily used to Android with all the apps and what not that I already have, I'd probably get one.

VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL
Old 03-25-12, 04:37 PM   #10
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I have no phone to trade it for. I have a Nexus S 4G, but I don't have Sprint service anymore, so I couldn't do the test because I can't get 3G service. Plus it sounds like Sprint has no WM7 phones.

Do the method i discussed in the op, you'd be out about $ 50 oop. Some were able to use wifi in stores as well but ymmv.
Old 03-25-12, 06:51 PM   #11
edstein
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What's more rare, a Microsoft BM store or someone who actually uses a windows phone?
Old 03-25-12, 07:16 PM   #12
Tarantino
DVD Talk Legend

There aren't any Windows stores around me.

XBox Live - Kleeberg
Old 03-25-12, 09:13 PM   #13
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstein View Post
What's more rare, a Microsoft BM store or someone who actually uses a windows phone?
When I went to the store, there were maybe a dozen or so customers and maybe 8-10 employees on the floor. All of the customers were at the computers or what not, not one person looking at the phones the entire time I was there, except one person when I was finished...inquiring about the challenge as well.
Old 03-25-12, 11:24 PM   #14
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

It seems like Microsoft is changing the rules ex post facto based on the blog below and on several other posts on SD.

Quote:
I Won The Windows Phone Challenge, But Lost “Just Because”
By Sahas Katta
March 25, 2012 03:26 PM
40 Comments

I headed down to the Santa Clara Microsoft Store this morning after hearing about the Windows Phone challenge last night. For those not familiar, anyone who completes a task faster than a Windows Phone on their own smart phone can win a $1000 Special Edition Laptop assuming they meet some standard terms and conditions. Those who “get smoked” by a Windows Phone, have the opportunity to trade in their existing device for Windows Phone.

After signing a waiver agreeing to let Microsoft use a photo of me in their advertising, I got in line for the challenge. I was using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus which runs the latest Android operating system on the Verizon Wireless network. As requested, I shut down my phone and powered it on in front of an employee when it was my turn. (I’m assuming they don’t want anyone pre-launching any apps in advance.)

The Microsoft Store employee I was up against then explained the selected challenge. Her exact words were the following: “bring up the weather of two different cities.” The one who could do that first would win. I felt like I struck gold since I knew I already had two weather widgets on my home screen: one for my current location (San Jose, CA) and another for Berkeley, CA.

After a three-second count down, I hit the power button on my phone and said “DONE!” out loud. I had disabled the lock screen entirely, which is a rather awesome out-of-the-box feature of Android that takes you straight to the home screen with a single push of the power button. I didn’t even need to touch the screen, since the two weather widgets were already there.

My opponent finished a split-second later. She had two live tiles on her home screen displaying the weather of two different cities as well. Why does it take longer on Windows Phone? She had to perform two actions. First, she hit the power button to turn on the screen. Second, she had to swipe away the lock screen. That’s pretty much as fastest as it gets on that platform. Windows Phone takes two interactions. Android takes just one.

I excitedly thought I won out of pure luck. However, I was quickly told that I lost. I asked for a reason and was told Windows Phone won because “it displays the weather right there.” That was rather unclear. I showed her my device which also was showing off the same information with two side-by-side weather widgets on the center home screen. After pressing for a better reason, I was told that Windows Phone won “just because.”

After trying to push for a real answer since I clearly won the contest by their rules, another Microsoft Store employee (possibly a manger) came by after noticing me asking more questions. Thinking on his feet, he quickly gave a ridiculous out-of-thin-air reason that I need to display the weather of different cities in different states and that “my phone could not do that”.

I calmly and politely tried pointing out that I was absolutely never told about having to show off two different states, but at this point I realized there was no point in even attempting to argue since the Microsoft Store employees clearly had no intention of even potentially discussing the possibility of considering me the winner.

I was then asked to snap a photo in front of a sign that read along the lines of “My Android was smoked by Windows Phone” before leaving the store.

I was quite excited to take the challenge, but left the Microsoft Store in distaste. I sure hope the purpose of this marketing ploy is to attract new customers by demonstrating the highlights of Windows Phone, not frustrating them instead. If anyone from Microsoft would like to have a rematch, I would be happy to smoke a Windows Phone with Android, again.
http://skattertech.com/2012/03/i-won...-just-because/

SD posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletspeed View Post
I went to my local Microsoft store today and did the challenge and tied their rep with my Droid 2.

My challenge was to find local movie listings, playing time, and location. They had me restart my phone before the challenge, then connect to their store wifi. Me and the rep sat our phones down on the table exactly the same time, so it was a tie. We read their rules and it said in case of a tie, the customer is considered the winner, but right after that line it said the manager had the final decision and judgement.

So the manager came over and said it's only a tie, but technically I won so I tried to point it out to him on the rules, but he told me he made a decision and it's a tie and that's that. To make it up he gave me the Nokia Lumia 800 Bundle. I'm pretty happy with the result because going in I didn't think my Driod 2 would stand a chance against a challenge that's designed to favor windows phones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryhanely View Post
I went to M$ store today morning and the test was to take photo and set my facebook cover picture. I did so using Facebook Android app on Epic Touch 4G phone.

The M$ lady (obviously) finished first since it is built-in feature to the phone. But then i realized she the PROFILE picture, NOT the COVER photo. And said, "you did the wrong thing!" I win, I set the cover photo before you did so.

She was a little startled then she said (after I argued a little), I was not suppose to do that. She had obviously misspoken and said COVER instead of PROFILE. But I did COVER as she said. It turns out Windows Phone can't even set a cover photo. It can only change profile picture.

I tried to argue that I won, but they said no Windows Phone is the better one of the two and made me take photo saying i was smoked.

so stupid. adios $1000 ultrabook. it is not just me either. others have same issue: http://skattertech.com/2012/03/i-won...-just-because/
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjoeb View Post
Houston if you're trying to win using an android phone don't bother. I used a samsung skyrocket and beat the guy fair and square on the 4 start restaurant challenge. Pulled up google maps and found one right away. When it came up he said oh well it doesn't show directions where he showed me his phone which had no directions and said he won. I was like wtf? Yours has no directions as well. Then he goes oh there's no hours displayed. I'm like there's a store hours button right here on google maps. Afterwards he says that oh well mine displays store hours on the screen and because I had to push a button to show the store hours he wins.

He calls the manager and she says oh the windows phone gets to that screen in 1 button where your phone gets to all the information in 2 button presses so I lose. Biggest pile of crap ever. Then they have the nerve to say you're just trying to get the laptop and tell me I have to leave.
Old 03-26-12, 12:59 AM   #15
Supermallet
Time Lord

That's really stupid. You've now alienated potential customers and the word is obviously going to spread. They should have let those people win, get the computer, and make a big show of it. That would encourage other people to try their luck. Then, in the promotional materials, all you ever show is people losing. Then it's a win/win. This is going to bite them in the ass.
Old 03-26-12, 01:07 AM   #16
Supermallet
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
Do the method i discussed in the op, you'd be out about $ 50 oop. Some were able to use wifi in stores as well but ymmv.
That's a whole lot of work for a phone that can't even get LTE service, which would be the only reason I would get one at this point.

I don't care enough about reselling to worry about that.
Old 03-26-12, 01:10 AM   #17
My Other Self
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
That's a whole lot of work for a phone that can't even get LTE service, which would be the only reason I would get one at this point.

I don't care enough about reselling to worry about that.
Just out of curiosity I know you had Sprint, but is there a reason you switched to AT&T for the iPhone instead of getting the Sprint one? Since I'm a Sprint customer I'm just curious how your experience was. My friend has the 4S with them and she gets a lot of dropped calls.

I honestly didn't know Microsoft had stores. If they had any around here I'd scope them out. I haven't played with a Windows phone but they look cool.

"As far as 240 lb rapists go, she's not that bad." -- DRG
Old 03-26-12, 04:43 AM   #18
Dan
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd totally do this to trade my "spare" Galaxy S in, but I'm nowhere near a MS store.

I'm likely going to buy the Nokia Lumia 900 when it's widely available, though.
Old 03-26-12, 06:36 AM   #19
Superboy
Suspended

Quote:
That's really stupid. You've now alienated potential customers and the word is obviously going to spread. They should have let those people win, get the computer, and make a big show of it. That would encourage other people to try their luck. Then, in the promotional materials, all you ever show is people losing. Then it's a win/win. This is going to bite them in the ass.
A big company holds a contest that's deliberately rigged and then fucks up royally because they never planned on paying up in the first place and instead just want to dump useless inventory that's going to go unsold because the product cycle is almost over? Nah.
Old 03-26-12, 09:03 AM   #20
Supermallet
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
Just out of curiosity I know you had Sprint, but is there a reason you switched to AT&T for the iPhone instead of getting the Sprint one? Since I'm a Sprint customer I'm just curious how your experience was. My friend has the 4S with them and she gets a lot of dropped calls.

I honestly didn't know Microsoft had stores. If they had any around here I'd scope them out. I haven't played with a Windows phone but they look cool.
Sprint was generally fine, but their data speeds were awful. 3G was useless and even though I had WiMAX service, it was incredibly spotty. Also, I was using a phone that felt like it was almost broken (Nexus S 4G). I liked what I saw of the 4S, but only the AT&T model offered HSPA+ for better data speeds. Plus there's a loophole to get unlimited data on AT&T using a first gen iPhone (this was right before AT&T throttled so at the time it looked like real unlimited).

Finally, it was actually cheaper for me to be on AT&T because I use Google Voice for all of my texts, and on AT&T you pay separately for texts, whereas on Sprint it's all one package of minutes, data, and texts.
Old 03-26-12, 11:03 AM   #21
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

make enough stink about it and M$ will give you a smartphone AND laptop!

Should've given him the laptop in the first place and avoided the bad publicity....

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/26/29...gy-sasha-katta
Old 03-26-12, 01:50 PM   #22
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

awesome.

Quote:
I too was scammed by them a few weeks ago.
The prize: $100 Gift Card My Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
Task: Take Picture of Sign and Upload to Facebook.

They had me connect to their store wifi which took some time to get an IP.
They counted down and I took the photo and put the phone down on the table as it was uploading the pic to FB.
They were still taking a picture when my phone was uploading the picture. I could tell because I heard the shutter sound on their phone. I beat their phone in taking the picture, but the upload took forever.

After wandering the store, I took a look at their phone and did a speedtest on the wifi. After multiple runs, we confirmed they were throttling other phones. The results were like comparing 3G to LTE.

After making a big stink, they agreed to a rematch. This time I used 4G-LTE and smoked their phone. I shouted done while they were still taking the picture. I won but their excuse was it has to be one the first try. I tried to get them to do another for a best 2 out of 3 but they refused.

TL;DR They were throttling their wifi and when I beat them with LTE they didn't pay up saying it has to be one the first try.
http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/c...t_just/c45037b
Old 03-26-12, 04:12 PM   #23
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

Some stores let you use wifi.

HTC Arrive is a Sprint wp7 phone. I heard some stores like the mission Viejo store has Sprint phones. If you are interested, you can call the store. But you don't have to get the same carrier phone, you can get a Titan or Focus S or what phone you want.
Old 03-27-12, 03:14 PM   #24
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

It's too bad that there's no MS store near me. I have an old G1 with a wonky keyboard that I'd let them "smoke" in exchange for a free Windows phone.

Quote:
Windows 8 isn't coming out for phones, only ARM tablets.

Windows Phone 8 is coming out for phones later this year though. Despite the similarity in names and them both using a Metro interface, they're separate OSes (Windows 8 is based on Windows NT, while Windows Phone 8 is based on Windows CE).
Old 03-27-12, 03:43 PM   #25
RoboDad
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, we don't know that to be true. There is some strong evidence that Windows Phone 8 may indeed be based on the NT kernel rather than CE. Granted, it would probably not provide all of the services of the full OS, but the core may likely be the same. This would be to Microsoft's advantage, since it would dramatically speed the development time for cross-platform apps.
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
My DVDs
Sponsored Links