Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

View Poll Results: Are you getting an iPad 3?
Yes. 62 40.79%
No, I have an iPad 1. 7 4.61%
No, I have an iPad 2. 29 19.08%
No, I don't have an iPad and I don't want one. 54 35.53%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-12, 01:54 PM   #1151
Mr. Salty
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Are you getting an iPad 3?

Well, the Toblino 3 is out and mine arrived today from Amazon. It's great! So far I'm loving it as much as my Toblino 2. It fits the new iPad perfectly, the sleep/wake function works as it should and the grooves that hold the iPad upright when you're using it as a stand have been deepened to hold the new, thicker iPad better.

The only downside right now is the price, which is $39.95. But jut like last year, I'm sure that will come down in a few weeks. But I love this case enough that I couldn't wait.
Old 05-04-12, 10:37 PM   #1152
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
Well, the Toblino 3 is out and mine arrived today from Amazon. It's great! So far I'm loving it as much as my Toblino 2. It fits the new iPad perfectly, the sleep/wake function works as it should and the grooves that hold the iPad upright when you're using it as a stand have been deepened to hold the new, thicker iPad better.

The only downside right now is the price, which is $39.95. But jut like last year, I'm sure that will come down in a few weeks. But I love this case enough that I couldn't wait.
Nice looking. Looks low profile.

Home Theater Build
Old 05-04-12, 11:04 PM   #1153
Mr. Salty
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Nice looking. Looks low profile.
It really is. I think it has just the right balance of adding minimal bulk to the iPad while still offering a nice amount of protection. It just feels solid in your hand. No rough edges or buckles, just smooth, nicely stitched seams.
Old 05-05-12, 07:41 AM   #1154
edstein
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has anyone tried those SD card adapters for iPad? The knock off ones are only $5 on Amazon. Are they decent or should I get the official Apple one?
Old 05-05-12, 08:34 AM   #1155
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstein View Post
Has anyone tried those SD card adapters for iPad? The knock off ones are only $5 on Amazon. Are they decent or should I get the official Apple one?
The only thing I bought with my iPad was their camera adapter. And I happen to use it for the first time last night. Daughter had prom. That works slick and quick. I love it. I handed the SD card to my wife to load the pic on her laptop, I had them loaded and in a folder in less time than it took to boot her computer. ha!

Speaking of, does anyone know how to move a photo from one folder to another on the iPad?

(Sorry, couldn't answer your question directly, but just noting it is a very worth while accessory. Quick, easy, compact and useful).

Home Theater Build
Old 05-06-12, 01:50 PM   #1156
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Well I got my mom her iPad 2.

Her (64) and my dad (72) are struggling like crazy to figure the thing out which is both hilarious and a little painful (I spent like 2 hours over the phone trying to teach them the most basic of basics, I had already setup an e-mail and iTunes/Appstore account and remotely synced their images from their home computer to iCloud) for her and pre-installed numerous apps) but she's hooked on it now. I bought it originally for cookbooks and the like but it's now being used exclusively for:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xi-gu...421992859?mt=8 (She's Taiwanese)

She received it on Friday morning and apparently hasn't put it down since. Anyone happen to know of any other decent Mahjong games? (not the solitaire/"tile match" kind)

Last edited by RichC2; 05-06-12 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-06-12, 10:56 PM   #1157
wco81

Roundup of iPad cases.

More suggestions in the comments:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews...1#comments-bar
Old 05-09-12, 07:46 AM   #1158
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

I know post release rumors are no more reliable than per-release rumors, but is interesting. And amazing that Apple can do so well with plan "B". Also intersting that Apple felt more important to keep up with their release schedule than to wait for the new screen. If this is all true,

http://www.techspot.com/news/48470-t...for-apple.html

Home Theater Build
Old 05-09-12, 08:20 AM   #1159
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

So the iPad 4 should be thinner and have an amazing screen?
Old 05-09-12, 08:21 AM   #1160
Groucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
So the iPad 4 should be thinner and have an amazing screen?
Fuck that shit. I just snapped my iPad 3 in half and threw it in the trash, and am on my way to Apple store for new hotness.
Old 05-09-12, 08:27 AM   #1161
wco81

I kind of have a theory that they will find a way to reduce the number of LEDs and make it thinner the next time around.

But the image quality and colors may not be exactly the same. So there could be an unintended tradeoff.
Old 05-09-12, 08:27 AM   #1162
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

I would expect no less from Groucho.
Old 05-09-12, 08:29 AM   #1163
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the apparent source article:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-574...neration-ipad/

9.7" 20481536 screens aren't standard, even for LCD manufacturers. Considering all the design changes based on the screen, it's unlikely it was a last-minute change over. If Sharp's new IGZO screen was part of "Plan A" for iPad 3, it was a plan that was likely abandoned a half a year before release.

Also, Apple isn't one to immediately jump onto cutting-edge new, unrpoven technologies. The first iPhone didn't have 3G, and there still isn't one with LTE. Not to mention that the iPhone still uses LCD after other smartphone manufacturers have released phones with AMOLED screens.

My guess is that Apple contacted Sharp last year to inquire into the possibility of using IGZO for a future iPad screen, and the analyst assumes that they intended to try and put it in the very next iPad, instead of maybe next year's model.

The comment about the extra weight being counter to "Jobsian philosophy" ignores that the iPhone 4 was slightly heavier than the iPhone 3GS, likely due to the increased resolution as well.
Old 05-09-12, 09:43 AM   #1164
solipsta
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is there any truth to the smaller iPad rumors?
Old 05-09-12, 10:07 AM   #1165
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsta View Post
Is there any truth to the smaller iPad rumors?
Apple is highly secretive and doesn't announce their plans ahead of time, so typically no rumor can be confirmed as either true or false until Apple announces a product as available for sale. The original iPad itself was a rumor for around 2 years, with wild speculation on features, until it officially launched.

That said, I don't see the idea of a smaller-size iPad as being all that likely. Apple is making a killing and is dominating the tablet market, so they have little incentive to undercut themselves that way.
Old 05-09-12, 10:27 AM   #1166
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

A half powered iPad at 7" with half the price to whip Amazon's ass seems like incentive enough.
Old 05-09-12, 09:43 PM   #1167
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
A half powered iPad at 7" with half the price to whip Amazon's ass seems like incentive enough.
You mean whip Amazon's ass MORE?

I was pushing for a 7" iPad. That is what I was waiting for to supplement my laptop. But then I got the new iPad as a laptop replacement. And love it!

At this point Apple would almost think it "to easy" to make a 7" version. But who knows.

Home Theater Build
Old 05-09-12, 10:32 PM   #1168
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Apple has never been about racing to the bottom though, and they like their product to be considered a "premium" device. While other vendors cut their smartphone prices a few months after release, Apple keeps the iPhone at the same price until the next year's model comes out. Apple never designed a new phone for the budget market, instead opting to just mark down last year's model.

I think that Apple would consider a half-power 7" to be too big a compromise on the quality of their product. In a way, releasing one would be like admitting Amazon was right in its strategy, instead of just preying off of people who can't afford an iPad.
Old 05-10-12, 07:27 AM   #1169
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
You mean whip Amazon's ass MORE?

I was pushing for a 7" iPad. That is what I was waiting for to supplement my laptop. But then I got the new iPad as a laptop replacement. And love it!

At this point Apple would almost think it "to easy" to make a 7" version. But who knows.
It's two distinctive markets (full size vs. book size) is all I'm getting at. They're two very different markets at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G.
I think that Apple would consider a half-power 7" to be too big a compromise on the quality of their product. In a way, releasing one would be like admitting Amazon was right in its strategy, instead of just preying off of people who can't afford an iPad.
This is probably true, however Cellphones are subsidized and they released how many iPod models?
Old 05-11-12, 12:37 PM   #1170
wco81

Has anyone tried the Logitech Keyboard case? They have several, including a couple of upcoming ones:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet...ries/keyboards

But the one I'm interested in is the one they designed with ZAGG:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet...oard-case-ipad

So in the first link, Logitech indicates it works with the new iPad (3rd gen). Sounds like there's some room where the iPad mounts to the keyboard tray/base so it works with the new iPad or iPad 2.

But wondering if it would also work with a back cover, which seems to be widely used with the Smart Covers.
Old 05-11-12, 07:45 PM   #1171
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
It's two distinctive markets (full size vs. book size) is all I'm getting at. They're two very different markets at this point.

This is probably true, however Cellphones are subsidized and they released how many iPod models?
Well personally, I think they are 2 markets but for a different reason than size. I see one a premium ereader and the other as a premium tablet w/the potential to be a laptop replacement.

Rumor is that Amazon will come out with a 10" version. I don't think this will make it a competition to Apple.

Home Theater Build
Old 05-11-12, 08:54 PM   #1172
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Valid point, though I feel in a lot of ways the Amazon Kindle is more consumer friendly than standard android tablets.
Old 05-12-12, 06:33 AM   #1173
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Valid point, though I feel in a lot of ways the Amazon Kindle is more consumer friendly than standard android tablets.
I Agee. The Fire reminds me of AOL for net access. A lot of people back in the day used AOL as a port to the net that might have otherwise thought it to cumbersome.

Interesting that Apple use to take it on the chin for being so closed and proprietary. That android with its open system would be stiff competetittion. But it took an android, closed to a very specific system to even put a dent in the market.

Home Theater Build
Old 05-14-12, 01:11 PM   #1174
Ted Todorov

Re: Cases

I ended up getting a CaseCrown (~ $25 via Amazon) and I am very happy -- I wanted something similar to the Apple case for the iPad 1 and this is much better.

One caveat -- sleep wake doesn't work -- this is an iPad 2 case and on the new iPad you need a correctly polarized magnet. They may nave sold through their old case supply by now and fixed it, but if this is important to you, caveat emptor!
Old 05-14-12, 05:53 PM   #1175
zyzzle
DVD Talk Special Edition

[quote=Sdallnct;11224788] And amazing that Apple can do so well with plan "B". Also intersting that Apple felt more important to keep up with their release schedule than to wait for the new screen.

Apple could release a Garbage Can, and it would sell well.