Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

View Poll Results: Are you getting an iPad 3?
Yes. 62 40.79%
No, I have an iPad 1. 7 4.61%
No, I have an iPad 2. 29 19.08%
No, I don't have an iPad and I don't want one. 54 35.53%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-12, 06:32 AM   #1126
Trevor
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: Are you getting an iPad 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
What are some of the best sites for finding and reviewing iOS apps? I seem to struggle in finding specific apps. And I'm Getting a lot more now with iPad.
I visit TouchArcade for game reviews and info.

Not great on reviews perhaps, but AppShopper is my main "app app" for sorting through the hundreds of daily freebies.
Old 04-21-12, 05:26 PM   #1127
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

So I like the little messenger bag for my iPad so much, but thought silly to carry two bags with electronics, I returned it and ordered a full sized messenger bag.

I picked got a Timbuk2 Commute. In the brown which is a good looking bag.

http://youtu.be/QWWtM-8SFrk

Love the looks of the bag. Well made. Comfortable. But compared to my Targus bag pack very lacking in areas to hold cords. I have a couple of Eagle Creek pack cubes that should due the trick. I got medium, and not really much smaller than the back pack was using. But I like how it is organized (other than lack of places for cords and battery chargers and such).

Will give it a go for a bit.

Home Theater Build
Old 04-23-12, 11:06 AM   #1128
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
It may be a bug, and seems to especially pertain to digital copies that came with Disney discs. This thread has a suggested solution:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
This worked for the Disney titles. I wonder if there are other titles that I got digitally that have the same bug? Not that I could redownload those because of the time limits associated with them, of course...
Old 04-24-12, 08:28 AM   #1129
nevermind
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
So I like the little messenger bag for my iPad so much,
I tried searching for a link to that bag (I saw it once somewhere in here) but you have posted so much I can't find the link again . Can you repost it? Thanks
Old 04-24-12, 09:27 PM   #1130
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
I tried searching for a link to that bag (I saw it once somewhere in here) but you have posted so much I can't find the link again . Can you repost it? Thanks
Ha! Yea...here it is...

http://www.buy.com/prod/skooba-roadw...212809605.html

I posted pic's as well here,

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11174053-post1059.html

I like it. But decided I didn't want to carry two bags for electronics. So I'm trying the full sized Timbuk2 now. Jury is out. Fully loaded, it is a beast.

But so far, Skooba seems to have the best for cord/adapter/power bricks/ect organization.

Home Theater Build
Old 04-24-12, 10:46 PM   #1131
bluetoast
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sdallnct, this is OT but I was in the market for an armband for the 4s. I searched DVDTalk for "armband" and noticed you had recommended the Tuneband (in late 2010). Would you still recommend it for the gym, etc? I see a lot of 5 star ratings on Amazon, so it must be all right.
Old 04-25-12, 06:30 AM   #1132
nevermind
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Ha! Yea...here it is...

http://www.buy.com/prod/skooba-roadw...212809605.html

I posted pic's as well here,

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11174053-post1059.html

I like it. But decided I didn't want to carry two bags for electronics. So I'm trying the full sized Timbuk2 now. Jury is out. Fully loaded, it is a beast.

But so far, Skooba seems to have the best for cord/adapter/power bricks/ect organization.
Thanks!
Old 04-25-12, 11:29 PM   #1133
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Sdallnct, this is OT but I was in the market for an armband for the 4s. I searched DVDTalk for "armband" and noticed you had recommended the Tuneband (in late 2010). Would you still recommend it for the gym, etc? I see a lot of 5 star ratings on Amazon, so it must be all right.
Yea! I'm still using it. I use the case as my everyday case. I work out everyday, so I never remove that case. And when I get to the gym, just slide the strap in. The strap has the perfect amount of flex. Tight enough as to not slip or move. But not so tight as to not be comfortable or loosen as you flex (like when lifting weights).

I had tried a couple others and none are as good. I do also have the one from yurbuds. Not near as good, but I keep as a back up in case I run in a light rain as it is fully enclosed.

Home Theater Build

Last edited by Sdallnct; 04-26-12 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-26-12, 09:24 AM   #1134
bluetoast
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks man. I ended up ordering it and surprisingly it arrived overnight. I was a bit disappointed that it doesn't have holes for the volume/side buttons, but that's cool, since I know where to press anyway. This will definitely work for the gym. I don't notice anything to hold the headphones, is there something for that?
Old 04-26-12, 09:56 PM   #1135
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Thanks man. I ended up ordering it and surprisingly it arrived overnight. I was a bit disappointed that it doesn't have holes for the volume/side buttons, but that's cool, since I know where to press anyway. This will definitely work for the gym. I don't notice anything to hold the headphones, is there something for that?
No, nothing for the headphones. But then, I didn't want that (since I wanted to leave the case on all the time) so wasn't looking for that. No the volume is covered, but there are raised notches. I have no problems adjusting the volume without looking while running.

And yes, great for the gym, but I run outside with it as well. If lightly raining, I'll use another case or put in my running belt.

I didn't like any of the enclosed one's for everyday uses. I sweat so much they built condensation on the plastic that covered the display. And the plastic never worked will on the touch screen if I wanted to adjust something.

Home Theater Build
Old 04-26-12, 10:41 PM   #1136
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

You guys are just going off-topic, right? Because the image in my head is someone strapping an ipad to their arm...
Old 04-27-12, 12:24 AM   #1137
Mr. Salty
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
You guys are just going off-topic, right? Because the image in my head is someone strapping an ipad to their arm...
I guess you missed the "Sdallnct, this is OT but" in bluetoast's post.
Old 04-27-12, 09:55 PM   #1138
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

OK, back on topic....

Alright, I admit, it would be nice to have cell service in the new iPad. I briefly considered returning my wifi and exchanging for the cell version. But I quickly dismissed it as 1) I don't want to give ATT any more of my money and 2) I would only me interested if it was unlimited data.

So, is there anything out there similar to Clear? Something with more coverage?

Home Theater Build
Old 04-27-12, 10:00 PM   #1139
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
I guess you missed the "Sdallnct, this is OT but" in bluetoast's post.
You know, it is funny. I do see people with iPads at the gym on occasion. They prop them up on the treadmills or elliptical and watch a movie or read a book. Personally, I don't even get that. To much chance to know them off, sweat, water bottles, etc.

Home Theater Build
Old 04-29-12, 12:52 AM   #1140
Supermallet
Time Lord

In case anyone is still looking for a case, I ditched my cheapie case for this: http://www.amazon.com/Slim-New-iPad-...5678282&sr=8-1

It's really nice, the vegan leather feels very good and the microfiber inner lining seems plush. It has a ton of viewing angles and the entire iPad is protected even when you're using the stand portion. Additionally, the whole iPad remains tucked into the case (it's got a holster it sits in and the rest of the case is wrapped around it) so you never have to pop a portion of the iPad out to prop it up like you have to do with most other folio style cases. Also, since you don't have to pop the iPad in and out, the case can hold it all along the sides instead of just at the corners. All the ports are perfectly accessible and when laying it flat you can keep the liner portion tucked under the iPad instead of laying it against the desk or table.

It also has smart cover functionality and they must be using a pretty strong magnet because you can feel it lock into place when you close it, and the cover barely moves at all, which is great when you have it in a bag or backpack. For under $35 I think this is quite a good deal.
Old 04-29-12, 01:04 AM   #1141
bluetoast
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
You know, it is funny. I do see people with iPads at the gym on occasion. They prop them up on the treadmills or elliptical and watch a movie or read a book. Personally, I don't even get that. To much chance to know them off, sweat, water bottles, etc.
Yeah I actually tried that just one time a week or so ago. Won't do it again. The glare was too much, and I don't want to move my hands to turn the page every minute.
Old 04-29-12, 01:31 AM   #1142
RoboDad
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree, but even if that wasn't an issue, the danger of my iPad falling off and breaking would keep me from trying it.

Of course, there is a guy at my gym who has been seen walking the track, holding his iPad in his hand at his side, listening to music (like a giant iPod).
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
My DVDs
Old 04-29-12, 08:58 AM   #1143
Trevor
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
In case anyone is still looking for a case, I ditched my cheapie case for this: http://www.amazon.com/Slim-New-iPad-...5678282&sr=8-1
Thanks for the review. I've narrowed my choice down to yours, and these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Motion-Ge...pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

They are both slightly cheaper, but seem similar in overall quality. All three have generally 5 star reviews, with minor quibbles on each.

Edit to add: Ended up going with Supermallet's and really like it.

Last edited by Trevor; 05-14-12 at 02:37 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 04-29-12, 10:22 AM   #1144
edstein
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I highly recommend the Marware CEO Hybrid case. I've been using it for about a month now and I really like it.
http://www.amazon.com/Marware-AHHB1P...5712881&sr=8-3
Old 04-29-12, 10:35 AM   #1145
bluetoast
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll say it again for the 4th or 5th time: Saddleback leather. Yeah it's $100 but it's the shit.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/iPa...&category=1290
Old 04-29-12, 12:53 PM   #1146
Supermallet
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstein View Post
I highly recommend the Marware CEO Hybrid case. I've been using it for about a month now and I really like it.
http://www.amazon.com/Marware-AHHB1P...5712881&sr=8-3
That looks like the cheapie case I got, with the big hand strap on the inside.
Old 04-29-12, 02:49 PM   #1147
cartman
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use Plume on my Thunderbolt phone for twitter reading due to it's ability to set updates to 1 minute (helpful when things go on sale at a "random" time) intervals, vibrate, and make a sound with a new tweet. I'd like something of the sort for the ipad. I got Tweetbot, and while it says it has push notifications, I don't seem to get them. It still only updates when I "pull down" to update.

Does anyone have tweetbot and know why I'd not get the tweets as they come, or anyone know of a twitter reader with similar options to Plume?
Old 04-30-12, 10:16 PM   #1148
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still liking my two piece set up. I regularly remove the apple smart cover.

Not sure I'm liking the full size messenger. I'm going to order an updated backpack.

Home Theater Build
Old 05-03-12, 06:50 PM   #1149
cartman
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone know of a bag like this for the iPad? That one is a case, and I'd prefer a bag. All the bags I find like it are bigger. I'd like one that just holds the iPad. also, if anyone has any idea about my twitter app question two posts up...
Old 05-04-12, 07:26 AM   #1150
nevermind
DVD Talk Legend

Well it certainly isn't leather, but I ended up with this one. I had a full-sized messenger bag for years but it's just too damn big. This thing is perfectly sized. Love it.