Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-30-12, 01:49 AM   #251
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Amazon Kindle Fire Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
That article seems poorly researched and reasoned. The author seems to think that because it has "Kindle" in the name, the Kindle Fire isn't a true tablet, and calls it primarily an eReader device, when clearly it is, at the least, a general purpose media consumption device. Amazon had plenty of Kindle eReaders already, the Kindle Fire was designed to build off of that brand recognition, but I don't think anyone bought it to use primarily as an eReader.

The author also seems confused about the Nook product line, and it seems as if he's not aware that there's already a Nook competitor to the Kindle Fire, the Nook Tablet. He also doesn't know that the basic Nook has dropped in price to $100.

He also calls an iPad a "Mac" at one point, apparently thinking Mac is slang for any Apple product.

There are a few salient point in there. He does point out that the Kindle Fire hasn't sold well outside the US, where it benefits from the full Amazon ecosystem of music, video, books, and apps. It's too bad the rest of the article is such a mess.
Yeah, those points don't make sense, and I don't know why he assumes Nook is the leading e-reader device. And isn't the reason the Fire hasn't taken off overseas because it isn't sold overseas?
Challenges: Sci-Fi 2014 | Historical 2014 | Make-Your-Own 2014 | Drive-In 2014 | Action 2014 | Academy Award 2014 | TV on DVD* 2014 | Holiday 2013 | Comedy 2013 | Horror 2013 | Criterion 2013 | Animation 2013 | | Leap Day 2012
Old 04-30-12, 07:46 AM   #252
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

That site considers the Amazon Fire a misfire and rated it as one of the best items of 2011.

Genius!
Old 05-02-12, 02:14 AM   #253
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

Today's Gold Box DOTD is a certified refurbished Fire for $139 (regularly $169). Seems likely to not last all day.
Challenges: Sci-Fi 2014 | Historical 2014 | Make-Your-Own 2014 | Drive-In 2014 | Action 2014 | Academy Award 2014 | TV on DVD* 2014 | Holiday 2013 | Comedy 2013 | Horror 2013 | Criterion 2013 | Animation 2013 | | Leap Day 2012
Old 05-02-12, 12:40 PM   #254
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Just ordered the refurb'd Fire for wife for Mom's day. Loving that it is $60 off what I was planning on spending. I'm assuming since it is Amazon who I love, it has a reasonable warranty and good packaging. I didn't order the gift wrap so I could check it out, set it up and I'll wrap up myself.

Anything I should put on it before giving it to her?

But good deal...thanks

Home Theater Build
Old 05-02-12, 05:39 PM   #255
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Today's Gold Box DOTD is a certified refurbished Fire for $139 (regularly $169). Seems likely to not last all day.
I seem to remember seeing the new kindle fire for around $120 a few months ago.
Old 05-02-12, 05:52 PM   #256
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

It's also going to go on clearance at Target starting tomorrow, I think; Target is basically not going to sell any Amazon products anymore. As usual with Target, YMMV, especially in regards to the discount, but the longer they're around, the more discounted they'll get (I assume they'll be picked clean within a day or two, though, at least in my area).

Might get a non-Fire kindle myself. But there should be a new one relatively soon, right (at least by the end of the year)?
Old 05-02-12, 06:35 PM   #257
edstein
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

NEW YORK — Target Corp. is phasing out Amazon.com Inc.’s e-reader Kindle at its more than 1,700 stores and its website.

Target spokeswoman Molly Snyder said Wednesday that the decision to stop selling Kindles this spring came after an “ongoing review” of Target’s merchandise that evaluates quality and prices of the chain’s offerings.

The move coincides with the discounter’s plan to create mini shops of Apple Inc. products in 25 of its stores this year.

Despite competition from cheaper tablet computers such as Amazon’s Kindle Fire, Apple’s iPad remains the most popular tablet. Apple has sold more than 55 million iPads since the tablet’s debut in 2010.

Target, which is based in Minneapolis, started selling Kindles two years ago. Target announced in late November that Amazon’s Kindle was the best-selling tablet in its stores on the day after Thanksgiving, typically the busiest day of the year.

Target will also stop selling Kindle accessories, such as covers and chargers.

Snyder declined to comment further about its partnership with Apple, only saying, “We will continue to offer our guests a full assortment of e-readers and supporting accessories.”

A spokeswoman for Amazon didn’t immediately return calls.

Target’s decision to phase out the Kindle is also occurring as the retailer, along with other major merchants, are trying to fight a growing practice called “showrooming.” That’s when shoppers, armed with smartphones, browse products in physical stores and then shop online for a better price. Earlier this year, Target sent out a letter to vendors asking for help in developing exclusive merchandise and matching rivals’ online prices.
Old 05-02-12, 06:56 PM   #258
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Ha, that's exactly what I do at Target, I check what the price is on my amazon app (on my iphone).

From a business standpoint, it makes sense. I doubt the Kindle is a high margin item, so they must make most of their money on cases and whatnot, and they're basically selling a portal that helps their shoppers spend money elsewhere. Of course, you could argue that the iPad (and ipod) does the same thing with music/videos/apps.
Old 05-02-12, 11:46 PM   #259
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Ha, that's exactly what I do at Target, I check what the price is on my amazon app (on my iphone).

From a business standpoint, it makes sense. I doubt the Kindle is a high margin item, so they must make most of their money on cases and whatnot, and they're basically selling a portal that helps their shoppers spend money elsewhere. Of course, you could argue that the iPad (and ipod) does the same thing with music/videos/apps.
True, but the Kindle brings people in where they can buy things they wouldn't buy at Amazon. Big box stores were or should never be about the customer coming in, buying a single item and leaving. Shopping carts are to fill up.

I'm really curious about the Apple mini stores. Wonder what the business model will be. If just a section of apple products, I don't give it a chance. If Target is leasing space to Apple who will use their own employees, well that could be interesting.
The problem I have with target is they don't carry that much different than Walmart, but are typically more expensive yet their employees are not knowledgable.

Home Theater Build
Old 05-02-12, 11:51 PM   #260
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
The problem I have with target is they don't carry that much different than Walmart, but are typically more expensive yet their employees are not knowledgable.
Are you saying that Walmart employees are, or that Target employees should be because of the higher prices?
Old 05-03-12, 12:05 AM   #261
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

I think Target is signficantly higher class and quality then Walmart so any extra cost is justified

VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL
Old 05-03-12, 08:10 AM   #262
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Target usually has better quality products than Walmart, though if you get the same brand Walmart is usually cheaper.

I just hate asking for something behind glass at Walmart and getting a 10 minute blank stare back.
Old 05-03-12, 09:28 AM   #263
Dan
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstein View Post
The move coincides with the discounterís plan to create mini shops of Apple Inc. products in 25 of its stores this year.
In other words, Apple paid Target a large sum of money to get rid of their biggest (relatively speaking) competitor to the iPad.
Old 05-03-12, 09:33 AM   #264
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
In other words, Apple paid Target a large sum of money to get rid of their biggest (relatively speaking) competitor to the iPad.
ding ding ding
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 05-03-12, 11:33 AM   #265
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I think Target is signficantly higher class and quality then Walmart so any extra cost is justified
I would agree with this. While I'm sure there are some nice Walmarts out there, even the worst Target in this area is better lit and overall better organized than the best Walmart in this area. And last you have Kmart.

Target employees seem overall more ready to help, although you do not want to go to Target wearing a red shirt of any kind.

Even if these people fill up their cart with other stuff when they buy the Kindle, Amazon is still a competitor for selling physical items. They don't, for instance, sell Walmart gift cards there. But I agree, this was all due to whatever deal they made with Apple.

With the recent Target deal where you could trade in used games, someone said they actually have Radio Shack employees manning the trade in/mobile booths. So it's possible they'll have apple employees too.
Old 05-03-12, 12:06 PM   #266
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Are you saying that Walmart employees are, or that Target employees should be because of the higher prices?
No neither store has knowledgeable people. So think Wally World is better for being cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Maybe it depends on what product. But I no longer see that difference. At least significant for what I would buy at either one. I'm mean DVD's, CD's, BD...are all the same. And Wally World has had in stock some Panny and Samsung Plasma's so, I'd say they were at least equal in electronics, overall. I don't buy clothing at either one. And Walmart has been doing better financially because more of their stores are dedicated to food grocery. So if I need that, generally I can find it at Walmart and not Target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Target usually has better quality products than Walmart, though if you get the same brand Walmart is usually cheaper.

I just hate asking for something behind glass at Walmart and getting a 10 minute blank stare back.
Again, there might be an individual item or two. But I noticed Walmart had several of the Weber charcoal grills I was looking at and Target did not.

I'm no Wally World fan boy. There are two I go to. One is close but super crappy. The other is one of their showcase stores about 10 min up the road. I like. Good selection of beer and wine. Clean and typically lots of people to check you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
ding ding ding
I don't know. Maybe. But plenty of B&M stores carry both Apple and the Kindle. So I'm not sure that is an automatic.

I think the bigger issue is exactly as said. Target sees Amazon undercutting and a direct competitor. I mean you don't see Target selling Kenmore products so why sell Amazon products? Apple stores sell at retail and don't carry high profit things like covers from other brands. So not really a competitor.

Quote:
I would agree with this. While I'm sure there are some nice Walmarts out there, even the worst Target in this area is better lit and overall better organized than the best Walmart in this area. And last you have Kmart.

Target employees seem overall more ready to help, although you do not want to go to Target wearing a red shirt of any kind.

Even if these people fill up their cart with other stuff when they buy the Kindle, Amazon is still a competitor for selling physical items. They don't, for instance, sell Walmart gift cards there. But I agree, this was all due to whatever deal they made with Apple.

With the recent Target deal where you could trade in used games, someone said they actually have Radio Shack employees manning the trade in/mobile booths. So it's possible they'll have apple employees too.
Again, I guess it could be a "deal" with Apple, but Best Buy and other stores carry both Apple and Kindle. So I don't think Apple is flexing it's muscle.

But that is exactly why I don't understand why Target would go big on Apple. I mean, I would never buy an Apple product from anywhere but the Apple store due to how knowledgeable and helpful they are. Even when I knew exactly what I wanted, and really needed no help, I bought my iPad from the Apple store as I had a couple of quick questions. I could have Googled for them, but figured the gang at Apple could help and maybe offer a little more. And I was right.

I remember "back in the day", many stores would lease out areas for vendors. And the vendor would staff it. I remember it specifically for like Camera's. If Apple is going to do this with Target, I think that would be cool. But I think pretty worthless if Target (or Walmart, or Costco, or anyplace) would just throw up an isle of Apple products assuming of course the price is the same.

Home Theater Build
Old 05-03-12, 12:27 PM   #267
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

We're talking about two different things, big brand items, like Weber, are going to vary store to store. In many cases Walmart will have a wider selection as they are simply bigger. I'm talking more along the lines of clothing brands, store brands (Up and Up vs. Equate, Sams Choice vs. Archer Farms or whatever Target calls it), etc; ignoring major brands altogether. Plus Target has a much better selection of smaller household items ( kitchen, bathroom, etc; ) where as Walmart has a much better sporting and automotive section. (I like buying my guns, ammo and beer at the same store).

As for the Apple vs. Amazon aspect, it's very possible if Target is trying to build Best Buy style Apple areas. Right now Apple has very little shelf space in Target, maybe two small areas and of course accessories. They want to expand that to be more like Best Buy with an entire area dedicated to Apple, may even start selling their laptops. Now that Target has gotten rid of the Garden section in a majority of its stores, they have room to fill. Outside of turning every Target into a Super Target, having expanded electronics seems possible.

Best Buy obviously doesn't have this issue since they're already a fully authorized vendor with big sections of the store dedicated to Apple. This would be huge for Target, especially in those areas with few Best Buys and no Apple stores.

The funny aspect though is the recent decline of Best Buy was pinpointed on Amazon, as people use Best Buy as a showroom for products they can order online at a cheaper price and w/ no tax and better overall customer experience (I HATE returning shit to Best Buy as it takes forever, never had a problem with Amazon), but they continue to carry Amazon products. Target.com used to be hosted by Amazon and has seemingly dropped them both from the web aspect as well as from their stores.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-03-12 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-03-12, 01:01 PM   #268
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend

Also remember that not everyone is near an Apple store...
Old 05-03-12, 01:04 PM   #269
sracer
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Also remember that not everyone is near an Apple store...
If they're not near an Apple store, then they should drive to one. No matter how far away it is, it is worth the trip.

That is what an Apple Fanboy would say.
Old 05-03-12, 01:22 PM   #270
Hiro11
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Latest things I've noticed on the Fire:

- Latest OS build is much, much more stable and faster. Browser is definitely getting faster as well. I like this thing more and more these days.

- The Wall Street Journal app seems to "wake" the screen even when the Fire is in sleep mode. This seems insane to me and it burns your battery. IIt took me a while to narrow down which app/service was doing this. I deleted the app as it's pretty crappy to use in the first place.
Old 05-03-12, 10:35 PM   #271
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

But Best Buy (seemingly) have knowledgeable sales people to sell Apple. Will a Target employee really able to talk about iCloud back up?

Personally, I think Target is making a mistake going more electronics. For profit, they should be expanding their food/grocery area. Some of the veggies are pretty good, but their other stuff (especially meats) is not. And you don't need knowledgeable salespeople for food. The best thing Target near me has, is a Starbucks.

Home Theater Build
Old 05-03-12, 10:43 PM   #272
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
But Best Buy (seemingly) have knowledgeable sales people to sell Apple. Will a Target employee really able to talk about iCloud back up?
I guess it depends if the mini stations are manned by Target employees, or someone else. Their phones for instance aren't normal Target employees right?

VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL
Old 05-04-12, 08:39 AM   #273
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

They are here, but they're also the most knowledgeable employees in the place.
Old 05-04-12, 05:32 PM   #274
Sdallnct
DVD Talk Legend

Fire is on the way from amazon. Plan to set up then repackage for wife. Other than Angry Birds anything I should load for her?

Home Theater Build
Old 05-04-12, 09:33 PM   #275
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Words with Friends, Scramble with Friends, Draw Something, Cut The Rope

Zinio (for magazines) works well, not sure how the Kindle Fire is with subscription magazines.