DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-13-11, 07:15 PM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

Router got fried from a power outage--Is this common?

I have a N300 netgear router and it mysteriously broke last week after I came home from work finding the power had gone out during the course of the day.

All other electrical devices were fine, even the comcast modem plugged into the router is fine. I tried everything to get it working, wireless nor wired worked. Trying to simply look for updated firmware had it saying 'no internet connection found'. The lights all turned on and it acted like the router was normal. Reset button did nothing.

*Plugging other devices directly into my comcast modem delivered a strong internet connection.*

Does this happen often to routers? Are some more sensitive than others? Or was the power outage even a factor--maybe this was a bum device? Any sage advice would be much appreciated.
Old 03-13-11, 08:21 PM   #2
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Router got fried from a power outage--Is this common?

I put all those kinds of electronic devices on surge suppressors (and the critical ones on UPS).

Based on what you're saying (it's not exactly clear), but it sounds like the router is still powering on and you can access the administration page? If so, you should try doing the factory reset for the settings, and see if that gets you anywhere.
Old 03-13-11, 08:29 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

I have already replaced the router. It was on a surge protector, as was the cable modem--I'm mystified as to how it broke, factory reset did nothing--it powered on just never 'saw' the internet connection. The power outage could have been a coincidence.

Is this router/brand of router prone to failing like this?
Old 03-14-11, 10:06 AM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

It happens, I wouldn't say it is any more common than a cable modem getting surged. Probably more common than a TV or something getting damaged from the same surge.

Most surge protectors do very little.

Do you have other electronics in your house failing regularly? It may be a sign that your whole house ground has a problem.
Old 03-14-11, 10:25 AM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

Most electronics are ok at my house except some UPS boxes that are failing now and then but those are on my Home theater/HTPC separate from my cable modem & router. The UPS's need a new battery or to be just replaced.

I brought up this topic because the router was probably 3 weeks old, and had replaced an older router that failed--I thought failed due to old age (3years). If this happens again I dont know what to think.
Old 03-14-11, 12:09 PM   #6
DVD Talk Legend

Did you try a firmware reload on the router? I have seen cases where a surge just corrupted the firmware.

Spikes also come through the coax cable. This is hard to protect from because many of the coax surge protectors screw with the frequency the cable modem uses (won't bother the cable TV picture signal though) YMMV with those, but it might help to find one that works with the data signal and install it.

FWIW - in 10 years on my comcast connection, I have lost 4 cable modems and 2 routers. All of which were connected to APC brand surge protectors. When my UPS's died, I never bothered to replace them. I just started looking at everything from a more disposable viewpoint with the way prices are these days (good excuse to buy an upgrade, oh look honey, the storm blew up the motherboard ) Just make sure data is backed up.
Old 03-14-11, 12:37 PM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

I did a factory reset if thats what you mean. I didnt back up the newer settings in order to reinstall them.
Old 03-14-11, 01:19 PM   #8
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Sometimes when hooking up a router to a modem, they have to both be powered off and turned on in a certain sequence or they just won't work. Sometimes they need it done and other times they work fine. I forgot this the last time I bought a router and spent an hour trying to figure out why it was on but not seeing the internet. Then I remembered about that, so I turned both off, turned on the cable modem and then once it up was and running, I turned on the router. Bam, it worked.
Old 03-14-11, 02:04 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Sometimes when hooking up a router to a modem, they have to both be powered off and turned on in a certain sequence or they just won't work. Sometimes they need it done and other times they work fine. I forgot this the last time I bought a router and spent an hour trying to figure out why it was on but not seeing the internet. Then I remembered about that, so I turned both off, turned on the cable modem and then once it up was and running, I turned on the router. Bam, it worked.
Yep I've been frustrated the same way. It didn't help this time.
Old 03-14-11, 03:10 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
I did a factory reset if thats what you mean. I didnt back up the newer settings in order to reinstall them.
No, I mean replacing the firmware on the router, not just a reset.

Something along the lines of what this link says

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/06/...uter-firmware/

but if there isn't a newer version than what you had, just simply putting the same version back on (re-install)
Old 06-28-17, 05:54 AM   #11
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last time I tried calling Netgear regarding a problem I was having with a customer's router (+/- 10 years ago), their customer service was absolutely worthless, pissed me off, ended up hanging up on them. Because of that I will never recommend Netgear for anything. For my money, Linksys will always get my business. I don't know about their customer service, I've never had to call them.

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 07-15-17, 09:35 AM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Another thought is that it might not have been the surge, but just the power outage. I've seen electronics that are failing work fine up until you unplug them, then they never boot back up right. It's sometimes something like a bad capacitor or something that can hold a charge up until it loses power, but then can never recharge properly.

Routers tend to not get turned off often, so it might've had this problem for a while, but as long as it was on it was fine. The same thing would've happened if you had manually unplugged it and plugged it back in.