Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-27-10, 08:38 AM   #1
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cloud backup solutions?

Seeing as how I've fried a computer recently and also had a few hard drives die on me recently the idea of backing up my data off site has been in my head. I have about 4-5TB of data split between 2 computers, a little more if I wanted to include my laptops but that not really that big of a deal. I've looked at Carbonite, they're $55 a year but any company that advertises that much especially on satellite radio I'm sort of nervous of.

Any recommendations? I can handle $55 price even though it's per computer and I'm a major cheap ass but cheaper is always welcome. It needs to be unlimited storage as well.
Old 11-27-10, 09:11 AM   #2
Mookysdad

re: Cloud backup solutions?

I've used Carbonite and I'm currently using Mozy. Both offer unlimited storage, but you have to force their software to back up certain types of files, like .exe, or videos. Restoring your files from either is pretty painless, but the initial backup can takes weeks depending on how much data you need to upload to their servers.

I switched to Mozy because when I contacted Carbonite tech support with a question about a problem I was having their response, two weeks later, was to tell me to look on their website, which I had already done and could not find my answer.

There are a few sites that offer reviews of the various online backup options. You can find a couple of those sites
here and here.

Sean
Old 11-27-10, 09:42 AM   #3
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for those links. According to the first my only options for unlimited are Elephant Drive, Mozy and Carbonite. Elephant isn't really unlimited and there are limits on file sizes so that take them out.
Old 11-27-10, 10:12 AM   #4
TheBang
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's also Backblaze. I think Mozy, Carbonite, and Backblaze are the market leaders.
Old 11-27-10, 05:59 PM   #5
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I'm going to try Mozy. Was about to go with Backblaze but just saw there is a 9GB file size limit. Not a huge deal as I only have about 2 files bigger then that.
Old 11-27-10, 06:22 PM   #6
Chew
DVD Talk Legend

Crashplan is another unlimited option.
Old 11-27-10, 06:27 PM   #7
danwiz
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm using Mozy Home for about 250 GB of data & photos. I signed up for 2 years and the price for that is pretty good - $103.95 for 2 years. I read their forums and a lot of people complain about the difficulty of doing the restores, so for a while I used the free 2 GB plan and played with the various types of restore. I had no problems and couldn't even really understand how people could have a problem with it. I'm satisfied with everything except upload speeds - I have a FTTH connection but the maximum upload speed their software will allow is 1Mbps - They asked me to take a survey a while back and I complained about that aspect of their service.

So, I guess the moral of the story is that you might want to use the free option for a while and see if you like it.
Old 02-01-11, 05:18 PM   #8
xmiyux
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those using Mozy, they announced today that they are basically going to screw us on prices if you are using the unlimited backup.

Previously I was paying 5$ a month (I paid monthly instead of a year contract) for unlimited space.

Now they are charging:

10$ for 125 gigs of storage.
An additional 2$ for every 20 gigs over that first 125.

So now I am hunting another solution.
I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory... and I didn't have a good time.

Live gamertag: xmiyux
Old 02-01-11, 06:15 PM   #9
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just coming to resurrect this thread. WTF, it's taken me 2 months to get almost everything backed up on there and now I have to find another solution.

Off to research this topic yet again.
Old 02-01-11, 06:19 PM   #10
xmiyux
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Both Backblaze and CrashPlan are offering 10% or 15% discounts to previous Mozy customers.

I may just end up buying a second external HDD, back up to it once a month, and store it either at my parents' house or in a fire-proof safe.

edit: With my super slow upload speed I don't know if I have the heart to upload for like 2 months solid again.
I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory... and I didn't have a good time.

Old 02-01-11, 06:26 PM   #11
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I'm just going to go with Backblaze. Problem is when one takes away Unlimited the others will eventually follow. I really don't want to mess around with manual backups, Mozy was slow to convenient.
Old 02-01-11, 07:10 PM   #12
xmiyux
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I think I'm just going to go with Backblaze. Problem is when one takes away Unlimited the others will eventually follow. I really don't want to mess around with manual backups, Mozy was slow to convenient.
That is why I think I may shift to manual off-site backups.

Old 02-01-11, 07:15 PM   #13
CharlieK
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Forgive my ignorance, but why does it take months to upload?
Old 02-01-11, 07:24 PM   #14
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

He had 4-5TB of data to upload. That would take awhile to upload over the internet. If your ISP has any caps on usage, that'll just add to it.
Old 02-01-11, 07:25 PM   #15
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

See danwiz's post above from a couple of month's ago. Mozy caps their upload speed so regardless of the connection I have it'll never go faster then 1Mbps.
Old 02-01-11, 07:26 PM   #16
xmiyux
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I read somewhere that Carbonite limits you to 100gig upload a month maybe? So even outside of all other limitations it would take me almost 3 months to upload my original image to them.

Old 02-01-11, 07:45 PM   #17
palebluedot
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is why I just keep a USB disk at my office and backup over VPN. So data from my computer to local NAS box...NAS box to local USB backup and backup to the USB disks in my office. Overkill but it took me forever to rip all my DVDs and CDs and I don't want to lose 10TB for nothing.

Last edited by palebluedot; 03-02-11 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-01-11, 08:16 PM   #18
danwiz
DVD Talk Special Edition

DAMN!!! I have 280.8 GB backed up on Mozy. As I stated above, the 2 year option cost me $103.95. I just got an e-mail from them asking me to select a new renewal plan to go into effect when my current 2 years ends (Sept. 27, 2012) and the new price will be ---- ready for this?? ---- $545.79!!! (for 2 years again). That's quite an increase, eh!!!
Old 02-01-11, 08:23 PM   #19
xmiyux
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been paying month to month so I have 7 days till they delete my backups.

Old 02-01-11, 09:11 PM   #20
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Going with Crashplan. Now just to get this Mozy software off my machines. Was just billed on the 27th, wonder if I'll get a partial month refund because I want them gone now.
Old 02-01-11, 09:17 PM   #21
xmiyux
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Going with Crashplan. Now just to get this Mozy software off my machines. Was just billed on the 27th, wonder if I'll get a partial month refund because I want them gone now.
Heh, I'm giving CrashPlan a trial now. Been reading reviews on tech blogs all evening and it looks like they are getting rave reviews.

I was looking over the Mozy options on the site and it doesn't seem like there is an obvious way to delete your account. Mostly I don't want them billing me for 280 gigs worth of data in a week.

Old 02-01-11, 10:02 PM   #22
Timber
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here you go.

https://c.na3.visual.force.com/apex/...et?DocId=77385
Old 02-02-11, 12:45 AM   #23
danwiz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey xmiyux, when I click on the "Next Charge" on my Mozy Account page there is a "Cancel Account" option. Can you find that? Seeing as I have already paid through September of 2012 I'm going to stick with them until then and when it comes time to think about another charge I'll think about changing my company.
Old 02-02-11, 11:04 AM   #24
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

I have been thinking about using a cheap hosting service like this

http://www.fatcow.com/

unlimited transfer and unlimited storage (I have not read the fine print yet)

but it would be a more manual backup process, and I am not sure how secure the data is.

It just appears to be a good deal for someone that has a ton of stuff to backup, but I haven't thought it through completely yet (or gone over fine print)
Old 02-02-11, 11:28 AM   #25
DaveNinja
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've had Crashplan for over a year. so far no problems with it.
I had to restore 3-400gigs and it worked without a problem.
i have it set to backup between 1am and 6am so i never even notice it. i think its supposed to go to low bandwidth usage if the computer is actually being used at that time anyways.
Sponsored Links