Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-28-10, 05:05 PM   #1
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

No audio with AVCHD (MTS) files in Windows Media Player 12...

I have a Canon HD camcorder. All my videos are on my hard drive. I just upgraded from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional. I can play the videos on Windows Media Player, but I am not getting any audio. I've looked around on the net, but I can't seem to find any helpful information regarding this issue. I assume it's an audio codec issue. I say that because when I play the movie file in Sony Movie Studio Platinum 9.0, I get audio just fine. Anyone have any ideas?

FWIW, I also installed Media Player Classic just to see and again, I'm not getting any audio with the movies either. Audio works fine for everything else (mp3s, internet audio, etc.). Not sure what this can be.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 09-02-10, 09:58 AM   #2
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: No audio with AVCHD (MTS) files in Windows Media Player 12...

so nobody has run into this?

even odder is that the same videos work fine on my laptop (windows 7 home) but not on the desktop (windows 7 professional).
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 09-02-10, 07:49 PM   #3
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

Get VLC.

Google it, every computer on earth should run VLC. You have found only one reason.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 09-02-10, 09:06 PM   #4
Deftones
DVD Talk Godfather

i actually think i downloaded that too and it didn't work, but i'll have to check. or maybe it worked but it was slow as shit and the video was choppy as hell. i can't remember which. i'll have to check later.

Old 09-07-10, 08:15 AM   #5
Gobbledygook

Deftones,

I'm having the same problem with a panasonic camera - avchd(lite) and MP12. Video plays but no sound.

When I tried VLC is was as jerky as a very jerky thing, but I stumbled across this and it seems to help for me. I can at least now play them in VLC.

In VLC,
Go to Tools > Preferences
In the lower left of the box click the checkbox �Show settings � All�
Then go to Input & Codecs > Other Codecs > FFmpeg and look for the option called �Skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding�
Change it from �none� to �all�
Restart VLC

Hope it helps even if just as an interim.

PS - if you do find a fix for MP12, can you let me know please - thanks. I'll do the same.

EDIT - I also found GOM player ( recommended from the broadcom site, which supply my laptops HD decoder (wasn't allowed to post the URL)) and it plays them OK as well. So its GOM for me or VLC both of which work.

Last edited by Gobbledygook; 09-15-10 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-26-12, 11:14 AM   #6
GhoolerHunter

I have the same problem using Sony HDR-NX70U camera files. MS Media player will play video but not PCM audio. I switched the camera to Dolby audio and these files will work with the media player.

I'm still looking for a solution to the PCM audio file problem. My other AVCHD MTS files work with these computers media player but not the ones from the new camera with PCM.
Old 12-26-12, 12:00 PM   #7
pelenor

If you don't want to use VLC and continue ot use Windows Media Player/center as your main playback , then you definitely need to download Shark007 codecs

http://shark007.net/

Just follow the instructions and let the program set defaults. In my HTPC i have shark installed cause I use Windows Media Center as my playback program of choice since I also have My Movies installed as media manager and i like the interface, Anyhoo, hope this helps.