Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-03-10, 03:19 AM   #1
Original Desmond
DVD Talk Legend

blogspot, wordpress or blogger.com ?

I'm going to start with one of these blog hosting sites with a domain name and then with more experience move to a standalone blog hosted.

Which of the above three sites is best to get started with ?

Do they all allow you to place your own google ads on your blog ?

thanks

Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, shag anything in sight
Old 05-03-10, 06:00 AM   #2
TheBigDave
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: blogspot, wordpress or blogger.com ?

I haven't tried the hosted blogs. But for a blog platform, I like Wordpress. Lots of free plug-ins and themes to personalize your site.

I'd recommend you take a look at hosting your own Wordpress blog at Dreamhost. Their control panel is very easy to use and WP is a one-click install (and updates are just as easy).

Dreamhost runs around $9-$11 a month depending on the length of your plan. Use coupon code "DREAMHOSTMP97" for $97 Off your first year. That'll bring your first year's payment down around $20. With a $10 domain from Godaddy or Namecheap, your total cost for the first year should be around $30.
Old 05-03-10, 06:30 AM   #3
Jedi Master 33
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use Wordpress on my sites. it's great.
Old 05-03-10, 09:52 AM   #4
Guv

Wordpress has a PR of 9 which is great, but google loves blogspot as the own it so depends if you want to rank well in google or not?
Old 05-03-10, 11:58 AM   #5
kefrank
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just for the record, blogger.com and blogspot are the same. blogspot is just the domain for the actual blog urls created at blogger.com. And as has been pointed out, blogger/blogspot is owned by google.
Old 05-03-10, 12:42 PM   #6
Chrisedge
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use wordpress on my own domain/server...chrisedge.com (see sig)
DVDTalk Member #1758 since: 06-09-99
I Hate Blockbuster chrisedge.com My first post I can find here
Old 05-03-10, 01:23 PM   #7
Guv

One thing i will say is that wordpress have a history of deleting blogs for no reason, blogger dont.

Personal if you putting a lot of effort into a website then host it yourself, very easy to do & cheap as chips nowadays.

If you need any advice just ask
Old 05-03-10, 01:28 PM   #8
solipsta
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I use blogger, but wordpress seems to have a lot of great options. However, if you can afford it, going your own way is the best option. And they all let you have google ads of your own.
Old 05-03-10, 03:10 PM   #9
Supermallet
Time Lord

I use wordpress and really like it.
Old 05-03-10, 09:49 PM   #10
Original Desmond
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks guys, i appreciate the replies. I do self hosted is ultimately the way to go, i just want to get things up and running first and get a bit of experience before moving over.

Cheers

Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, shag anything in sight
Old 05-04-10, 04:20 PM   #11
Draven
DVD Talk Legend

For another option, I use Tumblr on my site. I like it a lot - very clean and easy to use.
Old 04-29-11, 06:12 PM   #12
edytwinky
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I currently use blogger for my dining blog. Very easy to use. I like what I have

Proud to be a Wichita State Shocker

My dining blog: Wichita By EB
Old 04-30-11, 04:26 PM   #13
Achtung
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use Wordpress, and I like it overall. But I've also heard great things about Squarespace.
Old 05-01-11, 03:46 PM   #14
andy434343
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am a wordpress user and recommend it as well.......
Old 05-02-12, 05:11 PM   #15
sinned
DVD Talk Special Edition

So first time Wordpress user here.....

I'm kinda confused. I bought a book that was basically a "how to create your own website using Wordpress" book. It seemed easy enough. So as outlined in the book, I bought a dot com domain name, then signed up with a hosting site (gator host in this case). Then I installed the Wordpress software, selected a theme and installed some plug-ins. At the end of the day though, what I had was a blog not a website. What I mean by this is that I'm restricted as to how I present my website into a blog-like format. For example, when I create a post I can't even re-size the text. I had wanted to create a table since the site I was planning was for a local baseball tournament, so there would be entries like league standings, line box scores, etc. None of these were/are available for Wordpress. Am I supposed to know other programming languages? I was under the impression that Wordpress would be the only tool I would need.

Next, I found out that if a blog is all I would have then I could have created a free one at wordpress.com. Granted, I won't have the dot com address but still it was free. So what was the point of having wordpress hosted in the first place?

I would appreciate some insights in this matter - me confused!
Old 05-11-12, 04:23 AM   #16
Rex Fenestrarum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guv View Post
One thing i will say is that wordpress have a history of deleting blogs for no reason, blogger dont.
We're talking about wordpress.org, not wordpress.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinned
At the end of the day though, what I had was a blog not a website. What I mean by this is that I'm restricted as to how I present my website into a blog-like format.
Well, blogs are what WordPress was designed for. But you can use it to make a regular site. Instead of writing "posts", write "pages". Create a page called "Home" then go to the Admin dashboard and click Settings > Reading and under "Front Page displays" choose "A static page" and choose "Home" under the "Front Page" drop down box. Save the settings, and when people visit your site they'll see the home page instead of the blog. (If you want to keep the blog portion, say for a "News" page, create a new page called "News" and click the HTML tab of the text editor and enter a non-breaking space and save it. In Settings > Reading choose "News" under "posts page"). If you're planning on having several pages, you'll probably want to watch this video about the WP page hierarchy.

Quote:
For example, when I create a post I can't even re-size the text.
You should be able to. There's an option right there in the text editor. Are you sure you're showing all options in the editor? There's a "show more" button, and many options are hidden by default.

Quote:
I had wanted to create a table since the site I was planning was for a local baseball tournament, so there would be entries like league standings, line box scores, etc. None of these were/are available for Wordpress. Am I supposed to know other programming languages? I was under the impression that Wordpress would be the only tool I would need.
WordPress doesn't support creating tables natively, but there are several plug-ins for making tables. Start here.

Quote:
So what was the point of having wordpress hosted in the first place?
Well, for one thing, you have total control over your blog. WordPress.com updates its hosted blogs automatically, so if you have a crucial plug-in that won't be updated for a new version of WP, you can delay updating WP on your own site, but have no say in the matter at WP.com.

If SEO is your thing, a self-hosted WP site beats a WP-hosted site any day of the week. And if you want to do your own thing with ads, self-hosted is the only way to go.

Also, a fair number of plug-ins won't work on WP-hosted blogs, but most any plug-in or theme will work on self-hosted WP installs. IIRC, you also can't edit the blog's CSS on a WP hosted site without paying extra for it (and that's a recent thing, if I'm not mistaken).

Hosting your own blog also allows you to try other things, like forums, picture galleries, and other PHP apps that WP doesn't offer.

Lastly, your own hosting account can end up being a better deal, price-wise. WordPress.com gives you 3GB for free, but adding more space starts at $20/year. Using a WP.com with your own domain name costs between $13.00 $25.00/year. WP.com also has ads, which cost $30.00/year to remove. So if you need your own domain, 7GB of space, and no ads, that's gonna set you back $75/year at WP.com. My web host charges me $83.47/year, and I get email, FTP, WebDAV (and a lot more) out of that, not to mention 2 WP sites (I used ro have 3).
Old 05-11-12, 01:31 PM   #17
sinned
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the reply Rex F. Appreciate all the details. I'll continue to play around with it, though I do have a 45-day window to get a refund for the hosting fees if I change my mind.