Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-22-10, 11:49 PM   #1
tom523

whats the best brand of laptop to buy?

I am looking to buy a new laptop, and i'm not sure what the best brand would be to get. I was thinking between an HP, Dell, Toshiba or Gateway. I was mainly wanting to use it for searching the internet, watching movies and tv shows, and thats really the main things.
hope you can help me.
thanks
-tom
Old 02-23-10, 12:08 AM   #2
Mr. Salty
DVD Talk Legend

Re: whats the best brand of laptop to buy?

Lenovo.
Old 02-23-10, 12:12 AM   #3
Cocacoladude78
Banned

I personally liked the Toshiba Qosmio! It had a beautiful screen and the fish tank background was gorgeous on it!

It was very expensive and I think discontinued. I don't think Toshiba makes them anymore at all and hasn't in awhile. It was designed as an A/V media center notebook. Mine broke almost two years ago... I guess that's not the best way to hype it, but, I liked it while it lasted.

Now, I'm using an Acer laptop that was much less expensive. Almost a 1/4 of the cost of the Qosmio. I also purchased this around two years ago. Works well enough for my needs right now anyway.

It surely won't handle high graphics games and the like, but it works for movies, tv shows, and the internet.

Basically, I'm using it for the same things you are!

The Toshiba Qosmio had a better screen quality and much better audio though. After awhile, there was also something wrong with the audio on Qosmio too.

Nice notebook, but tended to have problems after awhile and was probably overkill for my usage.
Old 02-23-10, 07:53 AM   #4
Brian Shannon
DVD Talk Legend

My son and I just bought two Dell laptops (2 different models) and they have been great.

Here is a site with more info than you probably need

http://www.notebookreview.com/
Old 02-23-10, 08:29 AM   #5
nevermind
DVD Talk Legend

HP is pure garbage. They release laptops with known motherboard failures and refuse to recall them, no matter how many people experience the same problem. Google "tx1320us motherboard no wifi" to see what I mean. For this reason I won't buy another thing from them ever again, and I suggest no one else does, either.
Old 02-23-10, 08:32 AM   #6
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

same here, will never buy another HP again

for cheapo i'll probably look at Asus since they are near the top of quality rankings. anything over $1000 i'd be looking at an Apple. if you live close to a store you can take it in if something is wrong.
Old 02-23-10, 08:52 AM   #7
sracer
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's something that I can agree with as well... I'll never buy another HP again either. I agree with the rest of al bundy's post too.
Old 02-23-10, 09:21 AM   #8
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

take a peek at the Macrumors forums. it's amazing the kind of support that Apple provides. there have been issues with the new 27" iMac's and people say that Apple has replaced their machine 4 times and then offered a full refund because they keep getting a bad screen.

if this was HP you would have to send it 1000 miles away, keep calling for the status for weeks, be on hold for hours at a time just to talk to someone and then they would tell you it's your fault and charge you $90 even if all you want to do is have it sent back. dell is having profitability problems and the genius MBA's there are probably going to solve them by cutting corners. since HP and Dell and Apple are all made by the same companies in China there really is no reason to look at HP or Dell. Just go straight to Asus or Acer
Old 02-23-10, 12:16 PM   #9
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

not a laptop, but i have a Sony netbook and the display was very impressive. i paid just shy of $300, which is a bit pricey though, for a 6 cell netbook.
Old 02-23-10, 12:57 PM   #10
Mankal
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fujitsu, mine is 4 years old, never had ANY problems.
Old 02-23-10, 01:10 PM   #11
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

I like Asus myself, though I don't know how their tech support is (in 15 years of being an avid computer user, I think I've called computer tech support twice - once when I was new to it and once to get my Dell LCD replaced (via text chat, they shipped me a replacement monitor that same day)).

Last edited by RichC2; 02-23-10 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 02:07 PM   #12
Nifty03
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last edited by Nifty03; 02-23-10 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 03:32 PM   #13
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

I will say that you can't buy a quality laptop anymore unless you are willing to spend thousands and most people are not.

In the consumer lines of machines, don't think of it as buying a laptop, think of it as buying an agreed upon # of days they guarantee the laptop to work

In other words, it really doesn't matter what you buy in the sub $1000 category, just follow this simple guide.

1. buy something you like the screen and keyboard of
2. buy the extended warranty (3 or 4 year) for how long you expect it to work
3. make sure the company you buy it from has a reputable warranty (Dell, HP, Lenovo) etc
4. make 100% sure you can live with the warranty terms, Dell and HP have a next business day option, many others (like Sony) do not.

You are buying the company and the warranty more than you are buying the piece of plastic and silicone that is the laptop. If you play the odds, most laptops break.

I will admit that is has been roughly 2-3 years since I have personally had to contact Apple tech support (and there is an Apple store a couple miles down the road from my office) but i was completely Unimpressed with their level of support (especially after paying $300 for applecare) MAYBE it has improved, I have no idea, they pissed me off so bad the last time I called that I would never buy another macbook at any price.

I find that Apple fan boys will accept a 5 business day turn around and think that is wonderful, when you are use to (and require) next business day turn around, 5 days is really shitty
Old 02-23-10, 04:01 PM   #14
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

'Tadpole' is the best brand.

That's the most accurate answer to the OP/thread topic.

But as 4 mentioned, price comes into play on such a topic.

My last Tadpole was $17,000 with a few options.

They've come down a bit since then. I think the new 64-bit Tadpole Vipers with Solaris start around $6000. It will definitely be more than that to get a system you will want though.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 02-23-10, 04:11 PM   #15
Ranger
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone use the Panasonic Toughbook? Doesn't seem worth it.

Worked on a HP laptop once and it was the most bloated laptop I've ever seen. Far worse than Dell. I still like Dell, but Apple seems pretty good.
Old 02-23-10, 05:23 PM   #16
kefrank
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've had decent experiences with two Dell laptops. My one recommendation for any laptop purchase is always opt for the bigger battery, if you have the option.
Old 02-23-10, 05:26 PM   #17
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Anyone use the Panasonic Toughbook? Doesn't seem worth it.

Worked on a HP laptop once and it was the most bloated laptop I've ever seen. Far worse than Dell. I still like Dell, but Apple seems pretty good.
seen them in the army over a decade ago. People who used them swore by them
Old 02-23-10, 05:48 PM   #18
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah, as to 'best' in the Wintel world it's probably Falcon Northwest or Sager.

Sager has that new NP8120 with the i7 running SLI Nvidia GeForce GTX 285Ms with a gig of memory each, and 3 hard rives.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 02-23-10, 11:57 PM   #19
Mr. Salty
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
take a peek at the Macrumors forums. it's amazing the kind of support that Apple provides. there have been issues with the new 27" iMac's and people say that Apple has replaced their machine 4 times and then offered a full refund because they keep getting a bad screen.
That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of Apple products.
Old 02-24-10, 01:12 AM   #20
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero

I'm personally shocked that al bundy recommended an Apple product.

As for the HP stuff, I have an HP, and so far it's the best laptop I have owned. I had a Dell that was a piece of crap, and a Toshiba that broke down after a few years. Come to think of it, I've never really owned a bad HP product.
Old 02-24-10, 01:25 AM   #21
Larry C.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Toshiba has been the best for me and I had had many. Lenovo is also great.
Miami Heat 2012 NBA Champions!!
Miami Heat 2013 NBA Champions!!!
Old 02-24-10, 08:47 AM   #22
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I'm personally shocked that al bundy recommended an Apple product.

As for the HP stuff, I have an HP, and so far it's the best laptop I have owned. I had a Dell that was a piece of crap, and a Toshiba that broke down after a few years. Come to think of it, I've never really owned a bad HP product.
There was a previous thread where he argued the uselessness of Ubuntu while clamoring for Mac OS X. It isn't that big of a surprise
Old 02-24-10, 02:14 PM   #23
tom523

Gateway laptops, good or not?

I was wondering what people's opinions are about Gateway laptops in the price range of between $400 to $600 would be? Is gateway still a brand you can depend on and lasts awhile without problems?
Old 02-24-10, 05:05 PM   #24
tom523

should i buy an HP laptop?

I want a laptop and i was thinking about an HP for somewhere between $400-$600. Are they a good brand, any problems?
Old 02-24-10, 05:08 PM   #25
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Re: should i buy an HP laptop?

You already started a thread on the topic of "what laptop should I buy?", stick with that one instead.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/5...aptop-buy.html
Sponsored Links