Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

View Poll Results: Will you be getting an iPad?
Yes, I'll get one as soon as they become available. 28 10.73%
Eventually, but not the first generation. 77 29.50%
No. 156 59.77%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-10, 12:28 AM   #251
Ted Todorov

Re: Are you getting an iPad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I would trust 2 Mac journalists/bloggers about an upcoming Apple product as much as I would Raw and Vital here about plans for the next version of the Palm Pre.
First all calling Andy Ihnatko "a Mac journalist" is absurd (are Mossberg and Pogue "Mac journalists" as well?) For anyone that doesn't know Ihnatko is the Chicago Sun Times' tech columnist. And comparing Gruber to Raw and Vital is beyond absurd. Read Daring Fireball for a week -- it is one of the most intelligent, incisive, well written blogs on any subject (and it would be a stretch to call it a Mac blog as it covers so much more).

Secondly why are you doubting Apple? Does Apple have some history of pretending they have working, ready to release products when they don't, that I haven't heard about? Maybe you are confusing them with Microsoft who in their dark past routinely pre-anounced non-existing products for the express purpose of stopping people from buying their competitors' existing ones, thus the term vaporware*. Apple is quite the opposite -- they do not do prototypes or even mention products until they are finished and have a firm shipping date (for any new model of something existing that date is typically "today").

*Many examples of this came out during their anti-trust trail.

Old 03-20-10, 12:55 AM   #252
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post
First all calling Andy Ihnatko "a Mac journalist" is absurd (are Mossberg and Pogue "Mac journalists" as well?) For anyone that doesn't know Ihnatko is the Chicago Sun Times' tech columnist. And comparing Gruber to Raw and Vital is beyond absurd. Read Daring Fireball for a week -- it is one of the most intelligent, incisive, well written blogs on any subject (and it would be a stretch to call it a Mac blog as it covers so much more).

Secondly why are you doubting Apple? Does Apple have some history of pretending they have working, ready to release products when they don't, that I haven't heard about? Maybe you are confusing them with Microsoft who in their dark past routinely pre-anounced non-existing products for the express purpose of stopping people from buying their competitors' existing ones, thus the term vaporware*. Apple is quite the opposite -- they do not do prototypes or even mention products until they are finished and have a firm shipping date (for any new model of something existing that date is typically "today").

*Many examples of this came out during their anti-trust trail.
Maybe you're mixing up replies, but I'm not doubting Apple nor do I think i've said anything to that effect. Not sure what Microsoft has to do with this, other then you just looking for something to attack like you did in the HP Slate thread. What they do has nothing to do with my opinion of Apple.

I don't pay attention to specific bloggers and journalists other then reading tech sites like Engadget or tech articles on Anandtech, but a quick search on both show they predominantly deal with and comment on Apple products, have presences at MacWorld and other Apple-centric events, etc. Denying it seems pretty silly to me. Just because they comment on items other then Apple and the tech world, as most bloggers do, doesn't mean it isn't blatantly obvious that they're Apple guys. For you to deny it is pretty silly.

VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL

Old 03-20-10, 03:25 AM   #253
chino77
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
they do not do prototypes or even mention products until they are finished and have a firm shipping date (for any new model of something existing that date is typically "today").
um thats apples style of hyping a product. a big keynote. whereas microsoft leaks info left and right. it doesnt make apple a better company.

Old 03-20-10, 07:53 AM   #254
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

Apple hypes as well. With them it's "unofficial leaks" unlike Microsoft where they hype features in the open.

Old 03-20-10, 08:16 AM   #255
Ted Todorov

Quote:
I don't pay attention to specific bloggers and journalists other then reading tech sites like Engadget or tech articles on Anandtech, but a quick search on both show they predominantly deal with and comment on Apple products, have presences at MacWorld and other Apple-centric events, etc. Denying it seems pretty silly to me. Just because they comment on items other then Apple and the tech world, as most bloggers do, doesn't mean it isn't blatantly obvious that they're Apple guys. For you to deny it is pretty silly.
Again, I repet my question -- are Pogue and Mossberg "Apple bloggers" in your opinion? They too go to every Macworld. The only differences between them and Ihnatko which newspapers they write for. I'm not denying the Gruber is an "Apple blogger" just saying that he is a blogger very much worth paying attention to -- and IMO a more incisive and reliable source than Gizmodo or Engadget (though obviously he covers a small fraction of the stuff they do).

Old 03-20-10, 08:21 AM   #256
Ted Todorov

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Apple hypes as well. With them it's "unofficial leaks" unlike Microsoft where they hype features in the open.
Agreed, but you have to keep in mind that 99% of the hype surrounding Apple is organically generated, i.e. not based on anything coming from Apple. If they didn't release product after product that ends up setting industry trends, if they released broken or boring stuff, the organic hype wouldn't exist.

Why aren't there hundreds of Dell rumor sites? Because no one expects Dell to release a revolutionary product.

Old 03-20-10, 11:08 AM   #257
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Again, I repet my question -- are Pogue and Mossberg "Apple bloggers" in your opinion? They too go to every Macworld. The only differences between them and Ihnatko which newspapers they write for.
I already said, I don't pay attention to journalists like that, at least their names. A search on Pogue shows that at least he's written a large number of Windows stuff. A big difference versus the other two folks you mentioned. I'd trust his opinion more already.

Quote:
I'm not denying the Gruber is an "Apple blogger" just saying that he is a blogger very much worth paying attention to -- and IMO a more incisive and reliable source than Gizmodo or Engadget (though obviously he covers a small fraction of the stuff they do).
You denied it outright. And a glance at his blog doesn't stand out as particularly unique and insightful to me compared to anything else out there.

Quote:
(and it would be a stretch to call it a Mac blog as it covers so much more)

Last edited by fumanstan; 03-20-10 at 11:10 AM.

Old 03-20-10, 04:26 PM   #258
sracer
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino77 View Post
i dont get why people wouldnt wait to get the second gen. is it really that awesome in your eyes? i also dont understand everyone rushing to preorder one. its really not that cool and you probably already have something that does everything it does and possibly better.
I didn't wait for the 2nd gen iPad because I need a portable device now (not a year from now), I don't own an iPhone or iPod touch, and I owned 2 netbooks (7" and 10") but gave them away when they didn't suit my needs. The iPad as demonstrated appears to fit the bill nearly perfectly. I pre-ordered because I want to make sure that I had it in hand and configured/tested before a trip I'm taking in mid-April.

As for not that cool and already having something that does what the iPad does, that mentality is contrary to every hardware manufacturer who is falling over themselves trying to rush to market something that they can claim is an alternative to the iPad. Heck, even Microsoft is planning to produce a WP7S-equipped ZunePad.

Old 03-21-10, 12:08 AM   #259
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

I'm interested in seeing how Apple implemented a file system on the iPad. Now that they have apps like Pages and Numbers, there is going to have to be a way to save files and share them amongst other aware apps. Also, I think they might also have the iPad filesystem available as a mounted volume where you can drag files in and out. Just guessing but I can't see iTunes syncing spreadsheets.

Old 03-21-10, 02:12 AM   #260
ResIpsa
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: the lack of a USB port, I think it's a more significant issue than some would like to acknowledge. For example, the iPad would make a killer host for a home music studio but sadly without USB, there is no way for it to transmit MIDI signals. Admittedly a somewhat esoteric example, but it's important to me. Just my 2 cents

Old 03-21-10, 10:58 AM   #261
kms_md
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I'm interested in seeing how Apple implemented a file system on the iPad. Now that they have apps like Pages and Numbers, there is going to have to be a way to save files and share them amongst other aware apps. Also, I think they might also have the iPad filesystem available as a mounted volume where you can drag files in and out. Just guessing but I can't see iTunes syncing spreadsheets.
i'm interested in this as well - i hope they are not only going to rely on a "cloud-based" system via iWork.

Old 03-22-10, 04:16 PM   #262
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.foxtrot.com/2010/03/03212010/

Old 03-22-10, 06:58 PM   #263
Cory02
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazon has a preview page up for their Kindle app for the iPad (and other tablets):
Link

Pretty close copy of the library view and page turning mechanics of iBookstore.

Hopefully either Amazon or Apple will start selling magazine subscriptions that are optimized for reading on the iPad. The Kindle is great for books but falls quite short for magazines.

Old 03-23-10, 03:24 AM   #264
davidh777
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Took me a second to get the joke

Old 03-23-10, 02:28 PM   #265
Ted Todorov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory02 View Post
Hopefully either Amazon or Apple will start selling magazine subscriptions that are optimized for reading on the iPad. The Kindle is great for books but falls quite short for magazines.
For now it seems that newspapers/magazines are to their own devices to produce their own apps. A generic newspaper/magazine app (iNews) would be nice.

This is an area where Apple's censorious ways may lead to big problems -- if the iPad becomes the top electronic newsreader, Apple rejecting content due to sex and nudity (something routinely featured in mainstream European publications) will be an untenable situation. I'm eager to see how that plays out -- but I really think Apple needs to become officially *content* neutral. So long as they *as a matter of policy* not screen content they won't have trouble. Otherwise they'll be constantly attacked from all sides. You don't see Amazon picketed for selling louche books as they (to my untrained eye) are content neutral.

Old 03-25-10, 02:27 PM   #266
Raul3
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

CBS already started creating HTML5 versions of its shows online.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=17976

Old 03-25-10, 04:34 PM   #267
Ted Todorov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
CBS already started creating HTML5 versions of its shows online.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=17976
Like I said earlier: Flash will be completely irrelevant within 12 months if not earlier. As Adobe makes money not from Flash directly, but by selling Flash dev. tools, they won't go insane trying to keep it afloat either -- they'll just shift their focus to HTML5/CSS/JavaScript tools.

Old 03-25-10, 09:19 PM   #268
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

how does CBS stand in the ratings?

Old 03-25-10, 09:22 PM   #269
Coral
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Like I said earlier: Flash will be completely irrelevant within 12 months if not earlier.
I'm going to save your quote and come back to it in 12 months.

Old 03-25-10, 09:25 PM   #270
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

when Disney and Nick Jr go HTML5 and my son can play all the games on their websites without flash, then i'll believe it

Old 03-25-10, 11:04 PM   #271
Ted Todorov

Quote:
Number 1, IIRC.

Old 03-25-10, 11:11 PM   #272
Ted Todorov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I'm going to save your quote and come back to it in 12 months.
Please do. And I'll be very explicit about what I mean -- all the major websites that are currently Flash only, Hulu being one example that immediately comes to mind, will either have a dedicated iPad app or have an HTML5 version or both. YouTube is an example of a major website that has BOTH an iPad app AND an HTML5 version -- thus its use of Flash is totally irrelevant.

I'd love to hear your prediction.

Old 03-25-10, 11:13 PM   #273
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
They're 1st overall and 2nd with the 18 - 49 "key demo"

They tend to skew a little older than the other networks.

Old 03-25-10, 11:33 PM   #274
sracer
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Please do. And I'll be very explicit about what I mean -- all the major websites that are currently Flash only, Hulu being one example that immediately comes to mind, will either have a dedicated iPad app or have an HTML5 version or both. YouTube is an example of a major website that has BOTH an iPad app AND an HTML5 version -- thus its use of Flash is totally irrelevant.

I'd love to hear your prediction.
With so many qualifiers the "completely irrelevant" claim is irrelevant.

Old 03-26-10, 08:52 AM   #275
Ted Todorov

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
With so many qualifiers the "completely irrelevant" claim is irrelevant.
Your "qualifiers" is my "metric". How would you define the irrelevance of Flash?

Look, the iPad has been roundly attacked, by Adobe, by posters here, and by everyone in between, because "it gives you a crippled browsing experience by not being able to view Flash based Websites". I am saying that these websites will provide HTML5, iPad apps or both. In doing that they will invalidate the anti-iPad argument, thus making Flash irrelevant.

Closed Thread