Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-02-10, 01:15 PM   #1
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

anyone going laptop only?

since i rarely touch my desktop PC anymore i've been thinking that when i move not to even bother with a computer desk. Currently i have an old Mac Mini and two employer issued laptops for my wife and I. we use our laptops 95% of the time.

my idea was to connect the Mac to the TV as a cheapo DVD/HTPC. and if we need another computer owned by us, buy a PC laptop or Macbook Pro. and depending on which tablets come out this year along with pricing, buy one as a lite netbook type computer. Right now my son likes to play on the Mac, with with the HP Slate or one of the others that will come out i was thinking i could show him the internet on a tablet on the couch.

anyone else completely ditch the desktop?
Old 02-02-10, 01:19 PM   #2
sracer
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: anyone going laptop only?

I ditched my desktop about 5 years ago. Since then, I upgrade my notebooks every 1-2 years (and give away the perfectly good notebook that is being replaced) I've got a Macbook Pro in-transit (replacing a Sony Vaio) that I hope to use for about 4 years.
Old 02-02-10, 01:25 PM   #3
kefrank
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My wife likes to keep a desktop as an "anchor" but last year, when my computer gave up on me, I went laptop only for myself. I rarely use it in my actual home office except for when I'm doing audio sampling/recording, because it's dependent on other equipment there, so the need for a dedicated computer desk is minimal.

We are well past the days of a laptop being too underpowered or too overpriced for what the average computer user needs to accomplish.
Old 02-02-10, 01:47 PM   #4
The Cow
Premium Member

I pretty much have been for several years at work and at home.

Have a tower media/file server at home, but that's all it does.
Old 02-02-10, 01:50 PM   #5
movie diva
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I also got rid of my desktop about 5 years ago, I am on my second laptop, got rid of the desktop, so I could have more space.
Silence is golden; duct tape is silver. -Kittydreamer
Old 02-02-10, 01:57 PM   #6
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

Nope, if only because I still play games on occasion on my PC and without paying $1500+ for a laptop with a good video card for games, a desktop easily trumps it. I'm happier with a good desktop and a midrange laptop for portability.

VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL
Old 02-02-10, 02:12 PM   #7
Ranger
DVD Talk Legend

I've got a laptop that's just sitting in the closet, monitor's dead, but works fine with an external monitor. Ancient laotop anyway. Since then, I've just stayed with desktops.

My feeling is that if you don't use the computer much, then a laptop is fine, but if you use the computer a lot, a desktop would be better and last longer b/c parts can be replaced or upgraded.
Old 02-02-10, 02:38 PM   #8
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

nope, the screen is too small on laptops, compared to my desktop.
Old 02-02-10, 02:39 PM   #9
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

i actually play games on my laptop. not the newest games but older stuff like medieval total war 2 and Civ4.
Old 02-02-10, 02:48 PM   #10
The Cow
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
My feeling is that if you don't use the computer much, then a laptop is fine, but if you use the computer a lot, a desktop would be better and last longer b/c parts can be replaced or upgraded.
Weird, I feel the opposite on computer time. One of the reasons I have laptops are because I use them a lot and can use them anywhere.

Generally, I agree desktops have more (and cheaper) replacement parts, but that's never really been a problem for me. If I played PC games, I would probably still have a desktop.
Old 02-02-10, 02:50 PM   #11
zuffy
DVD Talk Legend

Nope. I love my desktop power. I would have to spend a shitload if I want performance similar to my desktop.
Old 02-02-10, 02:51 PM   #12
story
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
nope, the screen is too small on laptops, compared to my desktop.
You could hook your laptop up to a (or two or three) plug-and-play monitor.

I've been thinking about going laptop-only, but I like my desktop as an "anchor" enough that I don't see leaving it behind.
Old 02-02-10, 02:54 PM   #13
zuffy
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmatica View Post

I've been thinking about going laptop-only, but I like my desktop as an "anchor" enough that I don't see leaving it behind.
Kind of defeat the purpose of a laptop. With that setup, most likely you will need an external keyboard and mouse + a desk too.
Old 02-02-10, 02:55 PM   #14
DarthVong
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't think I would be on my laptop as much as I have been. Since getting it in September. I've only been on my desktop 3 times.
Old 02-02-10, 02:58 PM   #15
printerati

I was laptop-only (PowerBook 5300 with a grayscale screen ) when I was a student and needed the portability, but I wouldn't dream of going back, precisely for zuffy's reasoning (in both of his posts).
Old 02-02-10, 03:05 PM   #16
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

i've always built my computers since the 1990's but lately it's not fun anymore. almost everything is integrated on the motherboard. and i don't continually buy new components so by the time i do upgrade it's new motherboard, CPU and RAM which is pretty much a whole new PC
Old 02-02-10, 03:27 PM   #17
zuffy
DVD Talk Legend

I tend to upgrade in cycle. If I get a new desktop, my next purchase would be a laptop and then back to desktop. When I do get a laptop, I aim for portability with decent power.
Old 02-02-10, 03:36 PM   #18
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Laptop only (1 work, 1 personal) since a year ago. The smaller hard drive capacity of a laptop used to be a problem, but not anymore. Since I don't play games, I don't feel like I am giving up much by going laptop-only.
Old 02-02-10, 03:40 PM   #19
story
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuffy View Post
Kind of defeat the purpose of a laptop. With that setup, most likely you will need an external keyboard and mouse + a desk too.
Not necessarily. I have a 20" widescreen plug-and-play monitor at home that I can hook up to the laptop and use my laptop's keyboard and mouse, no sweat. Let's me go dual-monitor or just the plug-and-play option.
Old 02-02-10, 05:12 PM   #20
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmatica View Post

i have a laptop. i almost never use it. i prefer a full sized keyboard and mouse. plus, it's easier (and usually cheaper) to fix problems on a desktop. and cheaper to start out with.
Old 02-02-10, 05:44 PM   #21
AGuyNamedMike
DVD Talk Legend

I dig my lappy, but between torrents, ht media, and games, I'll likely always have at least one PC around.

Dr Mabuse - You mock, but Sutherland got some fine young stuff off that kind of thing so don't sell it short.
Old 02-03-10, 05:12 PM   #22
chino77

laptop only for 7 years. though my dell has a bad connection on the screen so i leave it on a desk. it works fine but if it the screen moves a bit it gets a little goofy for a few seconds. i have another laptop i use mainly. the dell is for when im listening to music.
Old 02-03-10, 05:40 PM   #23
Mopower
DVD Talk Legend

Thought about it but it isn't worth the convenience. I'd have to spend $3000 to match the performance of my sub $1000 desktop. Plus once you have dual 24's theres no going back.
Old 02-03-10, 05:50 PM   #24
shizawn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not a chance. Still game a lot, and not worth buying a laptop that matches my desktop performance.
Old 02-03-10, 05:53 PM   #25
porieux

I can't get comfortable on a laptop for doing real work, they also aren't fast enough for me and the work I do which involves a lot of multimedia. I have a dual 2.66 Quad Core Mac Pro with dual monitors. My gaming only happens on consoles though.
Last.fm
Sponsored Links