Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-06-10, 09:23 PM   #1
Deftones
DVD Talk God

The one and only ANDROID thread....

since people are bitching in the main DROID thread...talk about anything related to Android...The Motorola Droid...The Google Nexus One...R2D2. I don't give a shit.

Good news from Motorola from CES

Quote:
* All Motorola Android handsets, including the CLIQ, will be updated to Android 2.1
* Motorola is working on Flash 10.1 integration, is optimized for the DROIDís chipset and will be pushed out the DROID at some time in the future
* Motorola DROID will receive a second maintenance update in the near future
Sweetness.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 01-06-10, 09:40 PM   #2
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Dell is releasing 5-7 Android phones on AT&T in the next few months

my opinion is that Android is more competition for RIM, Palm and Nokia than Apple
Old 01-07-10, 09:17 AM   #3
belboz
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Dell is releasing 5-7 Android phones on AT&T in the next few months

my opinion is that Android is more competition for RIM, Palm and Nokia than Apple
Android is about where iPhone was about 18 months ago in terms of support for enterprise features (data encryption, policy enforcement, remote wipe, etc.). They have a long way to go before they can compete with iPhone much less RIM in that arena.

I think most of Android growth will be coming at the expense of Windows Mobile and Symbian. With more providers and better hardware, WebOS may still catch fire; but their time is running out.
Old 01-07-10, 05:55 PM   #4
Supermallet
Time Lord

WebOS is, imo, DOA. It was the hot new thing for two minutes when the Palm Pre was released, but the iPhone 3GS and Android update 1.6 (and later especially 2.0) stole its heat pretty quickly. I know one person who has the Palm Pre, and no one who has the Pixi.
Old 01-08-10, 09:02 AM   #5
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

it's only 6 months old and only now is hitting VZW and AT&T. no one in their right mind would switch to Sprint
Old 01-08-10, 09:33 AM   #6
SonOfAStu
Banned

I wouldn't bet money on it - but I think the Pre is going to do pretty well on Verizon. I personally know at least a few people who have been waiting for it.
Old 01-08-10, 10:52 AM   #7
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

i've seen it and it's pretty nice

too bad when you go to landscape mode the physical keyboard stays in portrait mode. version 2 or 3 will be a lot better
Old 01-08-10, 10:57 AM   #8
SonOfAStu
Banned

And just like that, the new Android thread has become the Verizon Palm Pre thread.
Old 01-08-10, 11:23 AM   #9
Jeraden
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got the Nexus One yesterday, my first real touchscreen/smartphone. Takes some major getting used to touchscreen typing, but overall it's pretty cool! The voice to text feature is actually really cool and accurate. Saves a ton of time over typing, especially in situations that you don't have your hands very free.
Old 01-08-10, 12:06 PM   #10
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

these days i prefer typing on my iphone compared to my blackberry. iphone goes landscape and the keyboard becomes bigger

i remember when i first saw someone talking with a bluetooth headset in the street. i thought it was a crazy person talking to themselves. i can just imagine in a few years everyone walking around and talking to their phone

and i still can't figure out why Google put a 512MB limit on apps. i've read on the Nexus One it's really 190MB since the OS takes up so much space.

Last edited by al_bundy; 01-08-10 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-08-10, 01:07 PM   #11
emachine12
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also do not understand why HTC (who built the Nexus One) can make their WinMo devices for Verizon Wireless with quad-band GSM. Even the higher-end models add single band WCDMA so why is the Nexus One, which will surely be a premium handset, going to be CDMA only for VZW?

I honestly do not see any compelling reason to wait for the Nexus One on Verizon since you can get the Droid now. Even the Droid Eris will be upgradable to Android 2.0/2.1 by the Nexus One arrives.

And if you are on T-Mobile, you get the MyTouch use it for 90days and ask for the unlock code. Even some journalists do not see the big deal over the Nexus One.

The speech to text is a nice addiiton to the Nexus One but Samsung built this feature into their basic dumbphones over three years ago. It had a limited word library to choose from but it worked pretty damn good. Oh, and when is a real Skype application going to come to the Android platform. I like the Twitter and Facebook options but Skype is really limited.

I don't want to come off sounding like I don't like the Android platform but right now, its like the iPhone OS before 3.0 with limited support, a lot of growth potential, and some hindering features. Maybe this year, other manufacturers and software developers can really take this open-source platform further. Then again, with that annoying memory limitation, maybe some developers are steering away from Android.

Last edited by emachine12; 01-08-10 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-08-10, 01:11 PM   #12
Deftones
DVD Talk God

Quote:
and i still can't figure out why Google put a 512MB limit on apps. i've read on the Nexus One it's really 190MB since the OS takes up so much space.
jesus christ, you don't read do you as this was pointed out about 10x in the other thread. the executable file has to be limited to the onboard memory, the rest of the files can be placed on the SD file. plus, there's a fix to that already in the works where you can install directly to the memory card on the phone.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 01-08-10, 02:15 PM   #13
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

but then it makes the developer have to recode their apps from the iphone version. it's like RIM had 5 different dev kits for all the different flavors of the OS and hardware devices. Apple pulled a nice one on everyone else. to compete with the cheapo phone market they have $49 iphones with no application install limit.

why fracture your devices where they are all different and make developers' jobs harder? a lot will simply not spend the resources to code for every possible hardware combination of every android phone.

this is the one thing apple did right. make a device as simple to program for as possible.

Last edited by al_bundy; 01-08-10 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-08-10, 02:24 PM   #14
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
I also do not understand why HTC (who built the Nexus One) can make their WinMo devices for Verizon Wireless with quad-band GSM. Even the higher-end models add single band WCDMA so why is the Nexus One, which will surely be a premium handset, going to be CDMA only for VZW?

I honestly do not see any compelling reason to wait for the Nexus One on Verizon since you can get the Droid now. Even the Droid Eris will be upgradable to Android 2.0/2.1 by the Nexus One arrives.

And if you are on T-Mobile, you get the MyTouch use it for 90days and ask for the unlock code. Even some journalists do not see the big deal over the Nexus One.

The speech to text is a nice addiiton to the Nexus One but Samsung built this feature into their basic dumbphones over three years ago. It had a limited word library to choose from but it worked pretty damn good. Oh, and when is a real Skype application going to come to the Android platform. I like the Twitter and Facebook options but Skype is really limited.

I don't want to come off sounding like I don't like the Android platform but right now, its like the iPhone OS before 3.0 with limited support, a lot of growth potential, and some hindering features. Maybe this year, other manufacturers and software developers can really take this open-source platform further. Then again, with that annoying memory limitation, maybe some developers are steering away from Android.

the google branding is a marketing gimmick. Google can't piss of their OS partners who are making devices on all the carriers so they make a "flagship" device on T-Mo which is a big HTC customer anyway and get free publicity. if it was HTC branded no one would care. since it's "Google branded" the nightly news carried the story.

if this was really some new era of buying your own phone than the Nexus One would support every frequency like some Blackberries do and work on T-Mo and AT&T using 3G on each carrier. But since Dell is releasing AT&T handsets later this year, Google can't compete with them and is intentionally locking the N1 to T-Mo as much as they can.

and a bit OT, but the guy who designed the N1 used to work for Apple, is a former CEO of Danger/Sidekick and also started WebTV
Old 01-08-10, 03:41 PM   #15
SonOfAStu
Banned

Quote:
but then it makes the developer have to recode their apps from the iphone version. it's like RIM had 5 different dev kits for all the different flavors of the OS and hardware devices. Apple pulled a nice one on everyone else. to compete with the cheapo phone market they have $49 iphones with no application install limit.

why fracture your devices where they are all different and make developers' jobs harder? a lot will simply not spend the resources to code for every possible hardware combination of every android phone.

this is the one thing apple did right. make a device as simple to program for as possible.
Reality proves you wrong. The Android market is exploding and there is NO shortage of developers jumping on the bandwaggon. And I still don't know anyone who has filled up their internal memory on an Android device.

I know you want to beat this horse to death, but you're having trouble catching it. Sorry.
Old 01-08-10, 04:08 PM   #16
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

i have 2GB of apps on my iphone as of today. the market is growing, but the iphone apps are considered to be better than the android versions. are there any big games from big publishers? some of my games are in the 300MB range. and the app store is growing as well. the number of apps grew by 25% in the last month or two. that's more than the entire Android market.

and there was a study last year how the iphone has better monetazation of apps for developers and how piracy is more rampant on Android. Apple already took steps to cut down on piracy.
Old 01-08-10, 04:10 PM   #17
Groucho

We get it, Al. You're an iphone fan. Apple is great, Google sucks, etc. Thanks for participating in the thread, and have a good day sir.
Old 01-08-10, 04:16 PM   #18
SonOfAStu
Banned

Quote:
but the iphone apps are considered to be better than the android versions.
By who? iPhone users?
Old 01-08-10, 04:28 PM   #19
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
i have 2GB of apps on my iphone as of today. the market is growing, but the iphone apps are considered to be better than the android versions.
Reality, party of 1. Al, your table is ready.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 01-08-10, 04:32 PM   #20
orangecrush
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
We get it, Al. You're an iphone fan. Apple is great, Google sucks, etc. Thanks for participating in the thread, and have a good day sir.
You wouldn't think it looking at the The IPhone 4G thread.

gamertag: IAMNOTwiththem
Old 01-08-10, 04:35 PM   #21
Groucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
You wouldn't think it looking at the The IPhone 4G thread.
He's trolling both threads, trying to turn us against each other!

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Old 01-08-10, 04:44 PM   #22
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfAStu View Post
By who? iPhone users?

Well he does have one argument...

The Facebook app for the iPhone is way better than the Android version. Other than that, Android is equal if not better.
Old 01-08-10, 05:11 PM   #23
SonOfAStu
Banned

I'll concede the facebook app. Thankfully I have little use for a facebook app. How's the iPhone Google Voice app coming along?
Old 01-08-10, 05:58 PM   #24
Supermallet
Time Lord

Even if it's easier to develop for the iPhone, good luck getting your program approved on their marketplace.
Old 01-08-10, 06:53 PM   #25
emachine12
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's what I love about the Android platform: Its open to everyone.

Apple has tools avalable to developers but the approval process is horrible. Some apps have gotten disapproved because they link to objectionable material. Yet... Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, and Kindle were approved for use.

webOS does not have as many development kits out there. This coupled with the fact that the only devices are on Sprint and Verizon Wireless really narrows the need to develop for this platform. Palm just recently announced 3D games on webOS so that might help. But unless T-Mobile or AT&T announce a webOS Palm device, the majority of apps may be from other countries.

Last edited by emachine12; 01-08-10 at 11:11 PM.
Sponsored Links