DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-08-10, 07:25 PM   #126
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Rumors of the Samsung Galaxy S coming to T-Mobile in July... finally something nice.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 06-09-10, 09:59 AM   #127
DVD Talk Hero

Extremely nice.

The Samsung Galaxy S cpu is apparently based off similar tech that the A4 processor in the iPad and iPhone 4 run off of (since Samsung manufactures the A4, this isn't a big surprise). Plus it has additional graphics processing power and can process over 90m triangles per second (vs. 22m on the Nexus One and Incredible).

On top of that, it apparently gets well over a day of battery life with heavy use, two with regular use is expected.

Sounds like the new standard

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/mobilep...2200389,00.htm

Last edited by RichC2; 06-09-10 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-09-10, 01:05 PM   #128
Time Lord

Yeah, the Galaxy looks great, but you couldn't pay me to be on T-Mobile.
Old 06-09-10, 01:11 PM   #129
DVD Talk Hero

I used them for about 8 years before switching to Verizon last month, the difference hasn't been particularly noticeable (I wind up roaming on Verizon constantly) and T-mo was both cheaper and had vastly superior Customer Service.

Their network does need a lot of work in most cities, though (going off the maps).
Old 06-09-10, 03:18 PM   #130
Time Lord

I'm in Los Angeles. Barely got service in my apartment. Got no service in my parents' house. Got no service on the ground floor of my theater (and if I'm not getting service while at work, I might as well not bother).
Old 06-09-10, 04:23 PM   #131
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Yeah, the Galaxy looks great, but you couldn't pay me to be on T-Mobile.
Been with them since they were Voicestream branded. It seems their east coast reception is far superior than in the west. I barely got a signal when I was in San Diego last year.

The Galaxy looks great. I'm happy they are finally updating the entire MyTouch line with variations of 2.2. I was getting awfully close to rooting mine.

My DVD Collection

XBL-Ohcrapifell
Old 06-09-10, 08:52 PM   #132
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

t-mobile in chicago is perfect. at least it has been for me.
Old 06-10-10, 02:38 PM   #133
DVD Talk Godfather

T-Mobile has been ok for me. It's spotty at home sometimes, but has worked fine pretty much everywhere else.

Motorola wants to bring a 2Ghz Android by the end of the year.

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/06/10...phone-in-2010/

Old 06-10-10, 03:35 PM   #134
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Finally decided to go with the Samsung Moment for my new phone and am really enjoying the Android interface. Haven't really found a ton of apps to download yet, but I'm keeping my eye out.

Now think real hard. You been bird-dogging this township a while now. They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you.
Old 06-28-10, 12:08 AM   #135
DVD Talk Godfather

Galaxy S overload tonight.

AT&T's Captivate was announced a week ago, but tonight added Sprint's Epic, Verizon's Fascinate, and T-Mobile's Vibrant. All based on Samsung's Galaxy S with the Super AMOLED with varying features and small differences. Samsung looks like they're trying to make a big push as a smartphone manufacturer.

Old 06-28-10, 03:51 AM   #136
Time Lord

Excellent news. By the time I'm able to upgrade from the EVO on my Sprint plan there should be some really fantastic Android phones available on the carrier.
Old 06-28-10, 05:06 AM   #137
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The epic looks great! Has 4g a 4 inch screen and a keyboard. If only xda was as into samsung as it is htc...
Old 06-28-10, 08:52 AM   #138
Banned

Depending on reviews and Q4 handsets, it looks like Motorola finally has some competition for my Verizon dollars.
Old 06-28-10, 08:36 PM   #139
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess this was mentioned by SonOfAStu in the Verizon thread...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/28/m...nooki-suit-in/

Old 07-02-10, 06:48 PM   #140
DVD Talk Godfather

http://phandroid.com/2010/07/02/andr...chart-updated/

Android fragmentation sucks.

Old 07-02-10, 07:01 PM   #141
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Excellent news. By the time I'm able to upgrade from the EVO on my Sprint plan there should be some really fantastic Android phones available on the carrier.
If you are using the EVO that means your phone should be eligible for an upgrade in June of next year

edited to say you should be eligible to be a premiere customer (because your data plan is 69.99 or more a month). Usually that happens 3 or so months into the contract

Last edited by shadowhawk2020; 07-02-10 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-02-10, 07:02 PM   #142
Time Lord

Just in time for some sweet new Android phones!
Old 07-02-10, 07:06 PM   #143
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I guess I don't understand the problem with fragmentation. The best hardware gets the best software, and the old hardware gets the old software.

Am I missing something?
Old 07-02-10, 07:18 PM   #144
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020 View Post
If you are using the EVO that means your phone should be eligible for an upgrade in June of next year

edited to say you should be eligible to be a premiere customer (because your data plan is 69.99 or more a month). Usually that happens 3 or so months into the contract
I'm contemplating switching to Sprint this month after my AT&T contract runs out -- you can upgrade within a year? I like their unlimited plan.
Old 07-02-10, 07:47 PM   #145
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
I'm contemplating switching to Sprint this month after my AT&T contract runs out -- you can upgrade within a year? I like their unlimited plan.
If you are an individual that spends more than 69.99 a month on the base plan, or a family that spends 99.99 or more a month on the base plan you will become a premiere member. Usually it takes 3 months for current customers 6 months for new customers to become a premiere member.

The basic important benefits of being premiere are

Yearly full upgrade for the main line on the account (one line only) and
Discount on oem accessories at the sprint store (I think it is 25 percent).

Read about it here:
http://premier.sprint.com/?id9=vanityremiercustomer
Old 07-02-10, 07:49 PM   #146
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Just in time for some sweet new Android phones!
Don't remind me, my wifes line (the primary line) was upgraded in October. It will be up for upgrade in October. At that point I will probably have a month or two to wait for the next group of Android phone, or the first Windows mobile phone 7...
Old 07-02-10, 08:21 PM   #147
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
I guess I don't understand the problem with fragmentation. The best hardware gets the best software, and the old hardware gets the old software.

Am I missing something?
I think the issue is that for the most part outside of the original G1, the old hardware is capable of running the Android updates. The comparison will always be to the iPhone, where iOS updates have been consistent across all the different generations of phones. When you have apps that require specific versions of Android, it sucks, like phones still running 1.5 that can't take advantage of something like new Google Maps features in 1.6.

Old 07-02-10, 08:32 PM   #148
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess you are right, but who is to say even though the old 1.5 phones can run 1.6 flawlessly, that they can handle (minimum spec wise) the google maps features in 1.6. (as an example)

I guess it can be disappointing for users of old hardware not to get the newest upgrades, but how else do you get people with older phones to upgrade? Besides if I am buying a high end phone, do I really want the programming to possibly be hindered because we need to make it backwards compatible for older hardware.

The iPhone model works well for the iPhone, because they only have yearly software and hardware updates. 4 hardware cycles in and the 2G guys get cut out (who really still uses the 2g?)

In contrast there are several Android run phones that come out every year. Instead of small hardware increases once a year, there are large increases several times a year. In this type of environment, having fragmentation allows the phones with the newest and best hardware take advantage of its improved equipment.

I can see why it would piss off people with older tech.
Old 07-02-10, 09:12 PM   #149
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
I guess you are right, but who is to say even though the old 1.5 phones can run 1.6 flawlessly, that they can handle (minimum spec wise) the google maps features in 1.6. (as an example)

I guess it can be disappointing for users of old hardware not to get the newest upgrades, but how else do you get people with older phones to upgrade? Besides if I am buying a high end phone, do I really want the programming to possibly be hindered because we need to make it backwards compatible for older hardware.

The iPhone model works well for the iPhone, because they only have yearly software and hardware updates. 4 hardware cycles in and the 2G guys get cut out (who really still uses the 2g?)

In contrast there are several Android run phones that come out every year. Instead of small hardware increases once a year, there are large increases several times a year. In this type of environment, having fragmentation allows the phones with the newest and best hardware take advantage of its improved equipment.

I can see why it would piss off people with older tech.
I've seen people with the original G1, rooted, and updated to Android 2.1 without much issue. The remaining old Android phones have at minimum the same spec, and in most cases more onboard RAM. So I think there's easily the ability to run stuff, just the carrier/manufacturer reluctance to update because of the reasons you mention about upgrading.

That's more of a case that's good for the phone manufacturer, not so much for the user. Especially when you think about 2 year contracts and that you have phones just less than a year old that aren't being updated.

Old 07-02-10, 09:37 PM   #150
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I think the issue is that for the most part outside of the original G1, the old hardware is capable of running the Android updates.
I have a rooted G1 that's running Android 2.1 . The hardware can run the OS fine, although if I turned on some of the more advanced features, like Live Walpaper, it may kill the responsiveness.

A problem with the G1 is that the system partition, as shipped, is too small to hold Android 2.x . When I upgraded, I had to load a new SPL that re-partitioned the internal storage, wiping it out. I could've restored from an nandroid backup then, but I decided to go with a fresh install, as recommended. However, wiping the internal memory is not a procedure supported by OTA updates (they're stored in internal memory), so it'd be more complicated for T-Mobile to offer an update for the phone.

Quote:
The comparison will always be to the iPhone, where iOS updates have been consistent across all the different generations of phones.
I thought it's only consistent through the 3 most recent generations of iPhones. iOS4 doesn't support the original iPhone or iPod touch.

Also, before iOS4, the iPod Touch upgrades cost money, so it's feasible some people didn't upgrade them. I wonder what the iOS fragmentation looks like.

The reason Android is so fragmented is due to the sheer number of different manufacturers, carriers, and phones that run it. Apple, by contrast, with its one new phone a year, from one manufacturer, on one carrier, making the upgrades work with the older phones is easy to keep up with. Think about it: Android 2.x is on far more than 3 phones right now.

If Google backs down to one Android update a year, as they say they are doing, that will help.

I am kinda surprised that 1.5 is still such a large percentage. What devices still run that? I would think that if the very first Android device, the G1, got an official 1.6 update, than pretty much any other Android device could handle it as well.