DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-06-11, 02:52 PM   #1251
DVD Talk God

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

And what is the best media player in the app store. Just looking for something to play mkv, avi, etc.
“The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.”

― Carl Sagan
Old 02-06-11, 05:59 PM   #1252
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think RockPlayer is considered one of the best, but I am not sure what formats it can handle.
Old 02-06-11, 06:52 PM   #1253
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
And what is the best media player in the app store. Just looking for something to play mkv, avi, etc.
Rockplayer?

http://goondroid.com/useful-apps#toc10

If you ever want to stream stuff from your pc to the browser on your phone, assuming you have flash, TVersity works great for me and it supports mkv. You just have to enable the web server.
Old 02-07-11, 09:04 AM   #1254
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I don't really do much video, so I can't comment on that, but my favorite for music is Winamp. The wireless sync is a really awesome feature.
Old 02-07-11, 09:31 AM   #1255
DVD Talk Hero

I agree, the best I've used so far for music is Winamp.
Old 02-07-11, 03:48 PM   #1256
DVD Talk God

anyone see that shit about the Xoom in the Best Buy ad? Apparently you have to buy at least one month of service from Verizon in order to unlock the wi-fi feature. Nobody has officially confirmed it, but that seems ridiculous to do shit like that.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 02-07-11, 04:15 PM   #1257
DVD Talk Hero

Apparently the $399 Samsung Tab has a similar policy right now (1 month service).
Old 02-07-11, 04:59 PM   #1258
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
anyone see that shit about the Xoom in the Best Buy ad? Apparently you have to buy at least one month of service from Verizon in order to unlock the wi-fi feature. Nobody has officially confirmed it, but that seems ridiculous to do shit like that.
I will be a little surprised if there is an actual technical blocking of wi-fi. The more likely implementation will be that you simply won't be allowed to buy the Verizon non-contract model without signing up for at least one month of a Verizon data plan (non-refundable).
Old 02-07-11, 11:24 PM   #1259
Time Lord

For anyone who has an EVO, there are now two Cyanogen mods using Gingerbread with WiMax. The first is from Cyanogen themselves, and can be found on XDA Developers or the Cyanogen site. The second is from some guy called Magnus and has lots of extras. I'm using the magnus one right now and it's pretty cool.
Old 02-08-11, 12:08 AM   #1260
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I don't really do much video, so I can't comment on that, but my favorite for music is Winamp. The wireless sync is a really awesome feature.
I like WinAmp right now too. An oldie made new again! Like it especially on my Nook color - works great on the big screen.
Old 02-08-11, 02:08 AM   #1261
Time Lord

Did I miss the part where we talked about the Sprint Kyocera Echo dual screen phone?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/07/s...nounced-we-go/

Quote:
Sprint promised us an "industry first" at its event today, and it certainly delivered: check out the Kyocera Echo, the first dual-screen Android phone. That's right, dual-screen -- that's two 3.5-inch 480 x 800 displays which can be unfolded and used as a single 4.7-inch 960 x 800 surface. The screens are connected by a slick sliding liquid-metal hinge that Kyocera's filed several patents on -- the phone can be closed and used like a regular single-screen phone, unfolded all the way, or propped up into the faux-laptop configuration shown above. Under the hood there's a 1GHz second-gen Snapdragon running Android 2.2 -- we'll forgive the older software because Kyocera had to do extensive customization to add dual-screen support to seven core apps like the browser, email, and messaging. The seven optimized apps can be run on each screen individually so you can have the browser up top and email below, and several of them include useful full-dual-screen views as well. There's also a new dual-screen app manager, which is brought up by tapping the two screens simultaneously. Unfortunately, third party apps can't be run in any of the new modes and just fill the entire display for now -- Kyocera and Sprint say an SDK is coming shortly.

Interestingly, the Echo doesn't really run the optimized apps simultaneously when you have two of them open -- it quickly switches them in and out of hibernation, even though they're both displayed on screen. That means you can't do things like watch a video while writing an email, for example -- it's an odd limitation, but it seems like it'll only be an issue in limited circumstances. As for battery life, Kyocera and Sprint aren't giving definite numbers, but we were told things would last about a day with heavy use of both screens -- and the Echo is being sold in a bundle with a second battery in an external charging case, so you should have plenty of juice on the go. Downsides? Well, it's not the most attractive phone we've ever seen, and we'd be remiss if we didn't point out that there's just a lone rear-facing 5 megapixel camera with 720p video capture and that the Echo is 3G-only -- there's no WiMAX, which is a bit odd for a Sprint halo device. Still, it's definitely one of the most intriguing Android handsets we've ever seen, and at $199 (after a $100 rebate) when it launches sometime in the coming months, it's bound to pique some serious interest. Check a short hands-on video after the break.

Update: So the simultaneous apps thing appears to somewhat complex -- we weren't able to run a video and email when we played with the phone during our briefing, but Sprint's Fared Adib was able to do it when we ran into him during the launch event. We'll post that video soon -- and of course we'll dig deep into this when we get a review unit. One more thing we noticed: none of the devices we saw in action had pinch-to-zoom enabled anywhere, which is obviously very strange. We were told that the software is still early, so we'll have to see if it makes it into shipping product.
2.2 and no WiMax...no thanks.
Old 02-08-11, 04:51 AM   #1262
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dual screen would be cool if they work out where you can do two things at once. Engadget couldn't get video to play while checking email, but Kyocera said it is a feature. But like you said, no Wimax and 2.2, plus the fact that custom ROM;s are going to be difficult for such a customized version of Andrioid equals no sale...

BTW I would LOVE to use Gingerbread, but slingbox still doesn't work with it.
Old 02-08-11, 09:43 AM   #1263
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 02-08-11, 11:54 AM   #1264
DVD Talk Hero

It looks like a DS
Old 02-09-11, 02:48 PM   #1265
DVD Talk God

Atrix review: http://www.bgr.com/2011/02/09/motorola-atrix-4g-review/

Looks like a solid phone but the laptop dock appears to be somewhat gimmicky.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 02-09-11, 08:25 PM   #1266
Time Lord

Also it appears it literally blew the mind of the reviewer, so I wouldn't recommend using it for health reasons.
Old 02-09-11, 09:00 PM   #1267
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Atrix review: http://www.bgr.com/2011/02/09/motorola-atrix-4g-review/

Looks like a solid phone but the laptop dock appears to be somewhat gimmicky.
The laptop dock would be interesting with a Honeycomb, or possibly post-Honeycomb, Android OS that could convert between Phone and Tablet UI modes when docked. Right now, the "webtop" interface seems too limited, with only the browser and pics and vids taking up the full laptop screen, and Android apps limited to the "phone" window on it. It'd be nice if Honeycomb enabled apps could use the whole screen, or even Android itself utilize it.
Old 02-14-11, 08:26 PM   #1268
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Words With Friends (free) was released for Android today.

Drav3n's Bluray Collection | PS3 Trophies
Old 02-14-11, 10:47 PM   #1269
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drav3n View Post
Words With Friends (free) was released for Android today.
I've been playing Wordfeud Free for months now with friends, and I don't see the need to change.

I also use Lexulous to play against my wife, who has a Blackberry. It's also on iPhone, so is the only Scrabble-ish game that's on all three platforms. You can also play it on their website, or on Facebook. Unfortunately, the interface for the Android version pales in comparison to Wordfeud, so I only play my wife using it and use Wordfeud for my other games.
Old 02-15-11, 06:51 AM   #1270

Ive been playing Wordfeud since I got my Droid X in August and have loved it. I'm enjoying the interface of WWF but the notifications and unable to turn off sounds is irritating. Hopefully they release a quick update.

Drav3n's Bluray Collection | PS3 Trophies
Old 02-15-11, 08:07 AM   #1271
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Did I miss the part where we talked about the Sprint Kyocera Echo dual screen phone?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/07/s...nounced-we-go/

2.2 and no WiMax...no thanks.
No one mentioned it because it's a Kyocera.
Old 02-15-11, 04:59 PM   #1272

Anyone see the new HTC tablet? Flyer I believe it is called. It's running old Android with Sense, has marginal specs compared with the competition, and only a 7" screen. However, for once an Android device manufacturer has differentiated their product and the Flyer includes and active digitizer with the capacitive touch screen and a stylus. It also includes some custom software allowing for easy notation on screenshots or in a notes app.

Overall, the pen implementation seems cool, and in my opinion puts this device at the top of the Android tablet heap.

I've always thought it was stupid not to include a digitizer and stylus on these tablets. Yeah, it sucked when it was the only mode of input on old Windows tablet and was required to mimic the accuracy of a mouse to interact with the UI. But I think with a touch interface, a stylus is can be an excellent addition to a device - adding that last layer of functionality that seems natural for tablet device.

Unfortunately, the 7 inch screen is way too small. And I doubt any applications (aside from those included by HTC) will include pressure sensitivity for a while. I really wish Steve Jobs or someone at Apple could see the utility of real stylus support and include it on the next iPad. At this point I'm pretty much locked into Apple's ecosystem, and even cool features like this won't come close to getting me to switch.

I mean, Art Rage and Brushes on the iPad are great, and work well enough with a capacitive stylus. But an actual digitizer would be so, so excellent for illustration.
Old 02-15-11, 05:10 PM   #1273
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
Anyone see the new HTC tablet? Flyer I believe it is called. It's running old Android with Sense, has marginal specs compared with the competition, and only a 7" screen. However, for once an Android device manufacturer has differentiated their product and the Flyer includes and active digitizer with the capacitive touch screen and a stylus. It also includes some custom software allowing for easy notation on screenshots or in a notes app.

Overall, the pen implementation seems cool, and in my opinion puts this device at the top of the Android tablet heap.

I've always thought it was stupid not to include a digitizer and stylus on these tablets. Yeah, it sucked when it was the only mode of input on old Windows tablet and was required to mimic the accuracy of a mouse to interact with the UI. But I think with a touch interface, a stylus is can be an excellent addition to a device - adding that last layer of functionality that seems natural for tablet device.

Unfortunately, the 7 inch screen is way too small. And I doubt any applications (aside from those included by HTC) will include pressure sensitivity for a while. I really wish Steve Jobs or someone at Apple could see the utility of real stylus support and include it on the next iPad. At this point I'm pretty much locked into Apple's ecosystem, and even cool features like this won't come close to getting me to switch.

I mean, Art Rage and Brushes on the iPad are great, and work well enough with a capacitive stylus. But an actual digitizer would be so, so excellent for illustration.
Most of the reviews I read about it today said it was disappointing to use after playing with the Honeycomb models. At this point in the game I agree...Honeycomb or bust. Too bad though, I love my EVO and would have been happy to buy an HTC tablet.

Last edited by broadwayblue; 02-15-11 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-15-11, 05:36 PM   #1274
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sure, but I believe it's set to receive a Honeycomb update, so we'll see. I do think it's a great idea that if you're going to be handheld (7" formfactor) to include a stylus.
Old 02-16-11, 06:31 PM   #1275
DVD Talk God

the power on/off button for my droid broke. i think the kid did it. it still works, but it doesn't depress like the button on the side. hope it lasts until july when my upgrade is available.