DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-10-10, 07:31 PM   #76
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Well I'm pissed. I wanted to upgrade the rom on my G1 to enable wifi router functionality and in the process I bricked the phone. So, I can either buy a broken G1 off ebay and rebuild mine or get a new phone. I was thinking about getting the HTC HD2 with the hope that the EVO 4G rom could be flashed on the HD2 since they're basically the same phone. I'm not sure I wNt to chance that option yet. The new My Touch Slide looks like a good G1 replacement as well. Not as powerful as the HD2 or EVO but I like having the physical keyboard on the smaller phones.
Old 05-10-10, 08:53 PM   #77
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstein View Post
Well I'm pissed. I wanted to upgrade the rom on my G1 to enable wifi router functionality and in the process I bricked the phone.
How'd it happen? I rooted my G1 and switched to Cyanogenmod, and while it was a little complicated, it didn't seem too dangerous.
Old 05-10-10, 09:09 PM   #78
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
How'd it happen? I rooted my G1 and switched to Cyanogenmod, and while it was a little complicated, it didn't seem too dangerous.
I rooted the phone with no problems and put all the right files on the sd card. But when I went to do the 5.1.x CM rom upgrade I flashed the Danger.spl file before I flashed a new radio. That bricked it good. I now get the G1 splash screen even when trying to start the boot loader screen. It's my own fault for not following the instructions exactly.
Old 05-10-10, 09:20 PM   #79
DVD Talk Hero

so there is no way to restore the phone to original factory software?
Old 05-11-10, 04:09 AM   #80
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Nope, and i've been following TMobile news and rumors for the last few months now. http://www.tmonews.com/ is a good site for news. Really its just hoping the Galaxy S comes to TMobile; other then that, just the Nexus One as far as high end Android phone availability.

Meanwhile, Android is doing pretty well -

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/10/n...-smartphone-m/

Now they're saying Android has beat the iphone.

(Articles Spoilered to keep page clean)

Android Finally Beats iPhone in US Sales: Variety Wins

Spoiler:

Android Finally Beats iPhone in US Sales: Variety Wins
BY Dan NosowitzToday

Android fans will be celebrating the news that Google's smartphone OS has passed Apple's iPhone in total US market share. But the reality is that the sales dominance of Android was inevitable.

In the first quarter of 2010, Apple secured a 21% market share, Android surged to 28%, and RIM's BlackBerry held strong at 36%. I don't mean to ignore BlackBerry here, but they've been dominating sales for so long, and with so little change in their fundamental business, that they're barely worth discussing from a sales perspective. It'd be like writing a post about how U2's latest album is selling well.

It was really a foregone conclusion that eventually Android would beat the iPhone in sales, for a bunch of simple reasons (including the recent study showing Android dominating mobile web use). iPhone OS is limited to one smartphone, on one network (the second-place network in terms of customers), and offers only one real model at a time (the iPhone 3G is technically still available but it's not dramatically different in design or functionality from the 3GS). Android, on the other hand, is available in several iterations from several different manufacturers in several different price points on every single major network. Want a keyboard? Go for a Motorola Cliq or Droid. Like HTC's Sense UI? Try the Droid Eris, Hero, or Incredible. Want to buy your GooglePhone direct from Google? Opt for the Nexus One. Hate your life? Try one of those Samsung phones with the custom UI that Gizmodo's Matt Buchanan compared to various unsavory bodily excretions.

So of course Android eventually came to top iPhone in market share, if not mindshare. It hearkens back to that whole Windows vs. Mac OS argument, with Android taking the Windows path: multiple manufacturers, designs, and price points leads to bigger sales, if not greater customer satisfaction.

This will all be shaken up nicely by the end of the year: Microsoft is due to launch their groundbreaking Windows Phone 7 phones and HP may re-launch Palm's WebOS with new hardware and enough money to break into the big time. But Android will probably continue to gain users (and possibly take over the world).

Android tops iPhone in US (no thanks to the Nexus One)

Spoiler:
Android tops iPhone in US (no thanks to the Nexus One)

Googlephone munches more crow

By Cade Metz in San Francisco Get more from this author

Posted in Mobile, 11th May 2010 06:53 GMT

The best mobile tools in business are now free

Google continues to eat crow over the Nexus One.

On Monday, Sprint - America's third largest wireless carrier - told Gizmodo it had changed its mind about joining Mountain View's online handset store and offering service in tandem with the Googlephone. As recently as March, the carrier said that it would partner with Google on a version of the Nexus One known as, er, the N1.

The announcement comes just two weeks after Google announced in less than straightforward fashion that Verizon, America's largest carrier, wouldn't be joining its online Nexus One store and that Vodafone would only sell the phone in retail shops. Like Verizon, Sprint runs a network based on the black sheep CDMA standard, and it would seem that Google has abandoned plans to offer a CDMA incarnation of the handset it insisted on calling a "superphone" when it was launched in January.

Google continues to sell the original GSM version of the phone from its online store, and T-Mobile - who placed its eggs in Google's basket from the earliest days of Android - still offers service with a subsidized version of the handset. But it's quite clear that Google's original dream for its superphone is well and truly over.

Analysts estimate the phone has sold a mere 500,000 devices, but Google always said it never expected to sell many devices. It wanted to create a "new way" of buying smartphones.

In launching the Nexus One, Mountain View insisted it wasn't competing with existing Android partners like Motorola and Verizon, but obviously, these partners saw things differently. You can bet that Verizon and Vodfone, a part owner of Verizon, talked their way out of Google's online store, and though Sprint may have fallen by the wayside because Verizon's exit made a CDMA phone less viable, it's gone nonetheless. Sprint says it abandoned the Nexus One because of the "upcoming availability of the award-winning Evo 4G," an Android phone sold through traditional channels.

As it turns out, Android is thriving in such channels. According the latest numbers from NPD Group, Google's mobile OS has moved past the iPhone to grab the number two spot in the US market. NPD says that Android accounted for 28 per cent of smartphones sold in the first quarter, compared with 21 per cent for the iPhone. The RIM BlackBerry is still top with 36 per cent.

Of course, Google wants to keep this market share. And to do so, it must eat that crow.
Old 05-11-10, 05:11 AM   #81
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstein View Post
Well I'm pissed. I wanted to upgrade the rom on my G1 to enable wifi router functionality and in the process I bricked the phone. So, I can either buy a broken G1 off ebay and rebuild mine or get a new phone. I was thinking about getting the HTC HD2 with the hope that the EVO 4G rom could be flashed on the HD2 since they're basically the same phone. I'm not sure I wNt to chance that option yet. The new My Touch Slide looks like a good G1 replacement as well. Not as powerful as the HD2 or EVO but I like having the physical keyboard on the smaller phones.
Using a Evo rom would probably brick your HD2... Considering the HD2 is GSM and the Evo is CDMA
Old 05-11-10, 07:47 AM   #82
DVD Talk Hero

Do they have any Incredibles at Verizon's stores to play with? wanted to check it out
Old 05-11-10, 01:19 PM   #83
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, they have it at stores. I want to play with one too, but the store I checked was empty of customer and full of salesmen, so I didn't wanted someone trying to sell me a phone while I checked it out.
Old 05-11-10, 10:09 PM   #84
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
so there is no way to restore the phone to original factory software?
Nope. It's only possible if the boot loader screen is running (camera button + power).
Old 05-12-10, 09:15 AM   #85
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Android 2.2

Looks pretty slick! I can't wait to get the update.
Old 05-12-10, 03:59 PM   #86
DVD Talk Legend

have they announced any other android phone with front facing camera? Besides the HTC Evo?
Old 05-12-10, 04:31 PM   #87
DVD Talk Hero

Anyway to backup apps you have downloaded? Like if you want to delete them but save the
for later?
Old 05-13-10, 10:03 AM   #88
DVD Talk Legend

I was kinda wondering the same. In the iPhone you can redownload as many times as you want the applications you already bought. Even in different devices, they are linked to your apple id, so I've downloaded the same app for my iPhone, iPad and iTouch.

Is that possible with the Android?
Old 05-13-10, 11:51 AM   #89
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty sure the apps are tied to your google account (either created when you activate the phone, or you use your existing gmail account). So, assuming you replace your phone, or wipe it clean, you should still have access to those same apps as soon as you have a WiFi or 3G connection.

edit:
Quote:
If you used the same google account information that you used on your old phone, then you will get your paid apps. The Market application uses your google checkout account, and your paid apps are associated with that google checkout account.

If you changed google credentials for your new phone, you could: a) re-set the phone and use your original google credentials (google login and password) so this matches your google checkout account, or b) go to google checkout (your old account) and change the e-mail address to associate it with your new email address.
In other news, it looks like 2.2 (aka Froyo) will have native USB tethering and the ability to make your phone a wifi hotspot. I know the iPhone does these, but only when jailbroken, right?
Old 05-13-10, 03:39 PM   #90
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the current version of the iPhone allows tethering out of the box, but AT&T has it disabled. You need to jailbreak to get wifi hotspot functionality.
Old 05-13-10, 11:30 PM   #91
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Anyway to backup apps you have downloaded? Like if you want to delete them but save the
for later?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
Pretty sure the apps are tied to your google account (either created when you activate the phone, or you use your existing gmail account). So, assuming you replace your phone, or wipe it clean, you should still have access to those same apps as soon as you have a WiFi or 3G connection.
Note that this only applies to purchases made through Google Market.

ASTRO File Manager has an "Application Manager/Backup" tool included in it.

There's also a few "app backup" apps that require root access.
Old 05-14-10, 11:42 AM   #92
DVD Talk Hero

i guess the beta test of the Nexus One is over

now google needs to get the carriers to let people use these on family plans

http://thenextweb.com/google/2010/05...publisher-main

Last edited by al_bundy; 05-14-10 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-14-10, 01:32 PM   #93
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, took them long enough to figure it out. Sheesh!! Unless T-Mobile announces sales immediately, not much is going to keep me from picking up my HTC Evo in a few weeks.
PSN ID: ButrzRulz
Old 05-18-10, 10:38 AM   #94

Any way to get text messaging some how included in your data plan? I heard you could maybe text using Google Voice? Trying to find a way to do it without adding another charge on top of the 30 bucks a month.
Old 05-18-10, 05:31 PM   #95
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakis View Post
Any way to get text messaging some how included in your data plan? I heard you could maybe text using Google Voice? Trying to find a way to do it without adding another charge on top of the 30 bucks a month.

Same here.
Old 05-18-10, 05:49 PM   #96
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakis View Post
You can send texts using Google Voice for free. I haven't figured out anyway to prevent texts sent to my Google Voice number from being sent to my cell phone (where I'm then charged $.20). I tell my friends who like to receive texts that I can text them, just not to reply. That will all change when I get my Evo 4g though.

"Mordred is a very smart man." - JasonF
Old 05-21-10, 11:08 AM   #97
DVD Talk God

Public beta for Flash 10.1: http://phandroid.com/2010/04/19/adob...sign-ups-open/

John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 05-21-10, 11:10 AM   #98
DVD Talk Hero

any word of when the first 2.2 phones are coming out and if any good ones going to AT&T?
Old 05-21-10, 11:14 AM   #99
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
any word of when the first 2.2 phones are coming out and if any good ones going to AT&T?
I haven't heard of any phones announced as shipping with version 2.2. The only AT&T bound phone that I can think of is the Samsung Galaxy S.

EDIT: Oh, and the Dell Streak.

And of course you can GFY. -chess

Last edited by fumanstan; 05-21-10 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-21-10, 06:44 PM   #100
DVD Talk Legend

I was checking the Droid Motorola today in Best Buy (not really going to judge Android on that phone) and wanted to check some flash sites. Well, although the interface is different from an iPhone, that I've used for the last 3 years, it was easy to get handle of. And I'm sure that rooted would make it really powerful.

But anyways, I checked http://www.soundgardenworld.com/ and I think it looked a little better than in the iPhone. But when I tried to check one of the videos, it said that I needed a flash plugin. So, do any of you with Android phones are able to see the videos? With other browser or something like that?