Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-19-10, 03:18 PM   #51
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstein View Post
Can someone explain how Google Voice works on android phones? I have a G1 and was wondering if when using gvoice it doesn't use my plan minutes. I don't have gvoice yet but it sounded good if it only uses the data plan part of the contract. I did read that it does work for free text messages.
Google Voice uses your plan minutes for voice. Texts via GV are free.
Old 03-18-10, 08:12 PM   #52
DVD Talk Godfather

I sure wish there were more Android phones that weren't using the old 528 mhz CPU that's 2+ years old and kind of sluggish, let alone phones still coming out running version version 1.5 or 1.6.

Hunting for a new phone on T-Mobile and other then the Nexus One, which would be $529 since they don't allow for family plans, the options are all kind of plain.

Of course, I guess the Droid is really the only other super high end phone out there with Android and I won't be switching to Verizon anytime soon. I wonder if it's worth getting a Cliq or the new Cliq XT knowing that they're due for a 2.0 or 2.1 OS update.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 03-25-10, 04:00 PM   #53
DVD Talk God

Endgaget for Droid released. Slick as hell app.

http://www.engadget.com/downloads/android/
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 03-25-10, 08:27 PM   #54
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I sure wish there were more Android phones that weren't using the old 528 mhz CPU that's 2+ years old and kind of sluggish, let alone phones still coming out running version version 1.5 or 1.6.

Hunting for a new phone on T-Mobile and other then the Nexus One, which would be $529 since they don't allow for family plans, the options are all kind of plain.

Of course, I guess the Droid is really the only other super high end phone out there with Android and I won't be switching to Verizon anytime soon. I wonder if it's worth getting a Cliq or the new Cliq XT knowing that they're due for a 2.0 or 2.1 OS update.
Sprint and T-Mo are cheaper. that's why the phone selection isn't as good as AT&T or Verizon
Old 03-25-10, 10:27 PM   #55
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Sprint and T-Mo are cheaper. that's why the phone selection isn't as good as AT&T or Verizon
Not really, AT&T is just getting Android options like the Backflip, and they're no better.

Old 03-25-10, 11:17 PM   #56
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah I have to say the Backflip just flatout feels cheaply made.
Old 03-26-10, 07:40 AM   #57
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Not really, AT&T is just getting Android options like the Backflip, and they're no better.

Dell is coming to AT&T with a nice Android phone soon. supposed to be a few more nice android phones coming to AT&T as well before June.
Old 03-26-10, 10:11 AM   #58
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Dell is coming to AT&T with a nice Android phone soon. supposed to be a few more nice android phones coming to AT&T as well before June.
The Aero doesn't look that great, at least not really something comparable to the higher end Droid. Either way, your original comment about phone selection doesn't really have any examples to back it up right now, even after the announcements at CTIA.

If anything, Sprint looks to be getting some decent Android stuff with the EVO and the Motorola i1.

Old 03-29-10, 02:52 PM   #59
DVD Talk Godfather

Google's solution to help address app support on the different versions of Android out there -

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/29/e...stemming-plat/

Quote:
We had a couple people at CTIA last week -- people whose words carry weight -- tell us off the record that the next major version of Android would take big strides toward stopping the ugly trend toward severe fragmentation that has plagued the platform for much of this and last year. You know, the kind of fragmentation that has already left users running not one, not two, not three, but four distinct versions of the little green guy (1.5, 1.6, 2.0, and 2.1) depending on a seemingly arbitrary formula of hardware, carrier, region, software customization, and manufacturers' ability to push updates in a timely fashion. Put simply, Google's been iterating the core far faster than most of its partners have been able to keep up.

Thing is, in light of our CTIA conversations, we didn't have an idea of how Google planned on fixing this -- until now. We've been given reason to believe that the company will start by decoupling many of Android's standard applications and components from the platform's core and making them downloadable and updatable through the Market, much the same as they've already done with Maps. In all likelihood, this process will take place over two major Android versions, starting with Froyo and continuing through Gingerbread. Notice that we said apps and components, meaning that some core elements of Android -- input methods, for instance -- should get this treatment. This way, just because Google rolls out an awesome new browser doesn't mean you need to wait for HTC, Samsung, or whomever made your phone to roll it into a firmware update, and for your carrier to approve it -- almost all of the juicy user-facing stuff will happen through the Market.

Old 04-04-10, 02:43 PM   #60
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Just got a Nexus One this week. I'm loving it so far!

Can anyone recommend some 'must-have' apps/games/etc.?
So far, I've installed:
Battery Widget - Shows accurate battery percentage on-screen and allows you to turn Wifi, GPS, and Bluetooth off. May get rid of this one since it kind of duplicates the Power Control widget.
Classic Simon - Addicting game. A keeper.
Digital Rain Live Wallpaper - Matrix-style. Very cool, but probably drains battery quite a bit.
FXCamera - Polaroid, Fish-eye, ToyCam, etc. Wanted it just for the polariod-style.
Seesmic - Twitter app. I like it.
Smart Keyboard - as per recommendations here. Not sure if I need to upgrade to the Pro version.
Spotify - Streaming music app. Love it.
Urban Spoon - Restaurant finder. Haven't used it yet.
WikiMobile - meh. Anything better out there for a wikipedia app?
XKCD Viewer - a must-have for any XKCD fan.

Need recommendations for apps that do the following:
Password keeper/organizer. I use the standard app on my Blackberry and love it. Need to transfer that to my Nexus One somehow.
Data Usage. Need to see how much data I'll be using. Wifi and 3G separated, preferably.
Old 04-04-10, 03:22 PM   #61
DVD Talk God

i'm seriously dying without swype. is there anything out there that's similar? i saw some article about the company that created T9 making something similar, but it's not out yet.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 04-04-10, 03:29 PM   #62
DVD Talk Godfather

What's the best Bar Code Scanner?
Old 04-04-10, 04:14 PM   #63
Time Lord

I would probably just go with the highest rated one on the marketplace.
Old 04-05-10, 08:39 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
i'm seriously dying without swype. is there anything out there that's similar? i saw some article about the company that created T9 making something similar, but it's not out yet.
Why are you no longer using swype? The apk is still available for download to continue use.
Old 04-05-10, 08:47 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
What's the best Bar Code Scanner?
I've used Barcode Scanner from Day 1 and have never looked back. The link below has v3.21 although there was a recent 3.22 update available in the market.

http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...droid-xzA.aspx
Old 04-05-10, 08:50 AM   #66
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
Why are you no longer using swype? The apk is still available for download to continue use.
where?

i downloaded it a while ago and now i get a message that the "beta" has run out. it won't work.

Old 04-05-10, 09:08 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
where?

i downloaded it a while ago and now i get a message that the "beta" has run out. it won't work.
http://www.mediafire.com/?omkzmr0dxo2

I believe I did an uninstall/install and had to re-enable the Swype settings to get it to work. Works great though. A couple Swype alternatives have recently surfaced (though have not tried them out): SlideIt and ShapeWriter.
Old 04-05-10, 10:20 AM   #68
DVD Talk God

thanks for posting. i will try again. honestly, i'm willing to pay for swype because i like it so much. just pisses me off they are taking their sweet ass time getting it out there.

Old 04-05-10, 07:25 PM   #69
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
I've used Barcode Scanner from Day 1 and have never looked back. The link below has v3.21 although there was a recent 3.22 update available in the market.

http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...droid-xzA.aspx

Thanks.
Old 04-15-10, 06:44 PM   #70
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I just ran the speedtest.net app on my Nexus One.
Download: 1.70 Mbps
Upload: 1.39 Mbps

Is that good? Bad? Average? I really don't know anything about these things. In general, the speed seems decent, but that's only in comparison to my previous Blackberry Curve 8330, which was really slow.
Old 04-15-10, 08:47 PM   #71
DVD Talk Hero

It's ok

hspa ideal max is 7.2 which means about half in average conditions and less depending where you are and the load on the network. I usually average higher results on the xbit labs speedtest app on my iPhone than the speedtest.net
Old 04-19-10, 02:37 PM   #72
DVD Talk Legend

Just found another Andoid App website:
http://www.appbrain.com/

It breaks apps up into more categories than the Market does. They also apparently have an App that works in conjunction with Android Market, so that you can create a "wish list" on their site that then syncs with your Android device for download/purchasing.
Old 04-28-10, 11:24 AM   #73
DVD Talk Hero

Might have to try that site out.
Old 05-06-10, 10:06 AM   #74
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I sure wish T-Mobile was getting one of the newer super smartphones (like the Incredible or EVO).

Not sure why they continue on with their MyTouch phones. My G1 is feeling a little old since it won't be seeing any future Android updates.

I would love to try out a Nexus One, but their sales model stinks and I would lose my current unlimited plan if I go with it (at least if if don"t want to pay $560 for the phone). Hard to justify that money on a sight unseen product with known technical issues.

Anyone know of any of the new generation (1ghz) Android phones coming to T-Mobile (Samsung hasn't announced any official carriers of their Galaxy S)?
PSN ID: ButrzRulz
Old 05-10-10, 04:11 PM   #75
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
I sure wish T-Mobile was getting one of the newer super smartphones (like the Incredible or EVO).

Not sure why they continue on with their MyTouch phones. My G1 is feeling a little old since it won't be seeing any future Android updates.

I would love to try out a Nexus One, but their sales model stinks and I would lose my current unlimited plan if I go with it (at least if if don"t want to pay $560 for the phone). Hard to justify that money on a sight unseen product with known technical issues.

Anyone know of any of the new generation (1ghz) Android phones coming to T-Mobile (Samsung hasn't announced any official carriers of their Galaxy S)?
Nope, and i've been following TMobile news and rumors for the last few months now. http://www.tmonews.com/ is a good site for news. Really its just hoping the Galaxy S comes to TMobile; other then that, just the Nexus One as far as high end Android phone availability.

Meanwhile, Android is doing pretty well -

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/10/n...-smartphone-m/

Quote:
PORT WASHINGTON, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Android operating system (OS) continued to shake up the U.S. mobile phone market in the first quarter (Q1) of 2010, moving past Apple to take the number-two position among smartphone operating systems, according to The NPD Group, a leading market research company. NPD's wireless market research reveals that based on unit sales to consumers last quarter the Android operating system moved into second position at 28 percent behind RIM's OS (36 percent) and ahead of Apple's OS (21 percent).