Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-25-17, 10:47 PM   #6026
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Sounds like a hardware problem.
Old 08-31-17, 08:13 AM   #6027
DVD Talk Hero

For anyone who ordered the essential phone...

https://www.xda-developers.com/psa-potential-phishing-alert-essential/
Old 09-08-17, 08:39 AM   #6028
DVD Talk Godfather

My Pixel XL upgraded to Oreo before the weekend, and I've had two random reboots so far. Hopefully it's not a trend. I kind of like the little app "badges" like Apple just showing that there's something new but without the constant reminder if you have unread messages. The continued notification bar changes are nice.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 09-09-17, 03:13 AM   #6029
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked up my Galaxy Note 8 2 days ago...its a pretty amazing phone from what I've been able to see and use it for so far. Got it from my local Verizon Store. I had pre-ordered it back on the first day I could.

Verizon is giving me $10 per month credit for my Note 4...$240 total for the 24 months. So my Note 8 at $40 a month becomes $30 a month. Also getting a free 128gb Micro SD card and a wireless charger (for pre-ordering). I ordered some new USB-C cords and (2) wireless charges off of Amazon. They'll be here tonight.

Happy that I waited for the Note 8 vs. getting something else earlier.
Old 09-09-17, 07:59 AM   #6030
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Picked up my Galaxy Note 8 2 days ago...its a pretty amazing phone from what I've been able to see and use it for so far. Got it from my local Verizon Store. I had pre-ordered it back on the first day I could.
Congrats. I am waiting for the blue model to be available in the US. I hope before Christmas.
Old 09-09-17, 05:23 PM   #6031
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
My Pixel XL upgraded to Oreo before the weekend, and I've had two random reboots so far. Hopefully it's not a trend. I kind of like the little app "badges" like Apple just showing that there's something new but without the constant reminder if you have unread messages. The continued notification bar changes are nice.
I have had zero issues. Battery seems to be slightly better on it too.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 09-12-17, 03:41 PM   #6032
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
They finally officially announced the Galaxy 8 Active today. Coming out on Friday. $850 retail! Hopefully I can find some trade in deals or something and get rid of my Galaxy 6 Active this weekend.
Finally got around to picking one of these up. Overall very happy with it. They gave me a $300 trade in credit on my S6 Active, so that helped with the cost. I kinda wish it had physical buttons since the only way to get the home button is swiping when you have a web page open. And I wish you could re-map the Bixby button since I don't see myself using it too much. But more than happy with the increased internal storage and battery, so I guess it's a decent trade off.
Old 09-14-17, 09:37 AM   #6033
DVD Talk Godfather

Pixel 2 launch event October 4th.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/14/1...h-date-october

Pixel XL is still basically the best phone i've had, not sure if i'll upgrade already yet.

Old 09-14-17, 08:06 PM   #6034
DVD Talk God

I'd only upgrade right now if Verizon let me somehow, which is unlikely, since I'm only like 9 months into paying this thing off.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 09-17-17, 12:51 PM   #6035
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I'd only upgrade right now if Verizon let me somehow, which is unlikely, since I'm only like 9 months into paying this thing off.
I'm in the same boat. I had to go through the Note 7 debacle which I was update eligible at the time for but because I had to go through the 2-3 months of returning a Note 7, getting an S7 Edge, returning the S7 edge, getting a new Note 7, returning the new Note 7, and getting an S7 edge again.. I am now outside the window of being able to Upgrade to the Note 8 without having to pay off my old phone - which isn't really fair since none of it was my fault and I've been using a phone I didn't really want for the last year.

My wife decided to pay off her phone anyhow... she always needs the latest and greatest. I'm not very excited about the Note 8 so I'll just wait..
Old 09-17-17, 06:26 PM   #6036
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Metro PCS have increased the amount of data you receive for the current price you're paying. Make sure to call or stop by your local store to request the change of data you want.
Old 09-20-17, 08:46 AM   #6037
DVD Talk Godfather

Pixel 2 XL shots and pricing leaked.

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/09/19...-xl-exclusive/

Ugh, phones just keep getting more expensive. My wife paid a ton for the Pixel XL last year, I think i'm definitely going to skip this.

Old 09-20-17, 10:17 AM   #6038
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After the Samsung S8/S8+ and Note 8, and the iPhone X, I don't think I can go back to a 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio phone.

I am more curious about what Google will do with their Chromecast line than with the Pixel line.
Old 09-20-17, 03:44 PM   #6039
DVD Talk God

Yeah phones are getting absurdly expensive. Not worth it imho with only incremental upgrades. I will probably sit out Pixel 2 and get next iteration once it is cheaper.

Old 09-20-17, 03:58 PM   #6040
DVD Talk Legend

More expensive than last year, removing the headphone jack, waterproofing not guaranteed. What a bust.

If you want to charge Apple prices, then you need to provide Apple's software and update support (they don't), quality control (Nexus phones haven't), or have a built in fanbase. They haven't earned those prices, and I won't be getting it, and I was looking forward to this phone.
Old 09-20-17, 05:52 PM   #6041
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Yeah phones are getting absurdly expensive. Not worth it imho with only incremental upgrades. I will probably sit out Pixel 2 and get next iteration once it is cheaper.
I agree. I wasn't going to get anything but... I only got the note 8 cuz Samsung gave me $425 trade in credit for my s5 because I was a note 7 owner. But full retail on a note 8? That's way too much.

Last year the Pixel line matched apple pricing. Now the base Pixel 2 XL is more than base iPhone 8 Plus.
Old 09-20-17, 08:15 PM   #6042
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
I only got the note 8....
How do you like it? How does it compare to the Note 7? I still have the 5, and am waiting for a blue 8 to be available in the US.
Old 09-20-17, 10:19 PM   #6043
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
How do you like it? How does it compare to the Note 7? I still have the 5, and am waiting for a blue 8 to be available in the US.
It's the best phone that I have used but I am a note fan boy. Compared to the note 7, it's an incremental improvement. They basically stretched it longer and I really like the new ar as I need to scroll less plus I can see more of 8 screen when typing. The dual camera is just OK. Live focus doesn't work as well as the portrait mode on the iPhone 7 Plus. And of course the fps is on the back next to the flash. This is a better configuration than the s8 though which is next to the camera. Also the black trim around the camera and fps scratches really easily. Even after a few days, mine is all scratched up
Old 09-20-17, 11:13 PM   #6044
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks. I'll get one as soon as the blue one comes out in the US. I agree about the aspect ratio. After I get used to looking at the S8 and Note 8, my Note 5 just seems weird, too short and too square. I don't mind the position of the fingerprint sensor. I have no trouble reaching it naturally even though I don't have big hands.
Old 09-20-17, 11:28 PM   #6045
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Google buys HTC

http://pocketnow.com/2017/09/20/goog...martphone-unit

Quote:
Google buying HTC smartphone-related units for $1 billion

by JULES WANG
SEPTEMBER 20, 2017 10:09 PM

Google has announced that it has acquired talent from HTC to bolster its own hardware team for the purposes of ramping up its “Made by Google” brand. The two companies have also entered into a non-exclusive license for the Taiwanese firm’s intellectual property.

The manufacturer has been involved with the making of the Pixel smartphones for the past two years and has played a pivotal production role in major Android releases like the Nexus One and the first-ever phone with the OS, the Dream or T-Mobile G1. Google has been asserting more control over design aspects of its own-brand hardware.

“These future fellow Googlers are amazing folks we’ve already been working with closely on the Pixel smartphone line,” said Rick Osterloh, Google’s senior vice president for hardware, “and we’re excited to see what we can do together as one team.”
Old 09-21-17, 12:10 AM   #6046
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Thanks. I'll get one as soon as the blue one comes out in the US. I agree about the aspect ratio. After I get used to looking at the S8 and Note 8, my Note 5 just seems weird, too short and too square. I don't mind the position of the fingerprint sensor. I have no trouble reaching it naturally even though I don't have big hands.
Forgot to mention...it's really hard to find a tempered glass screen protector for the note 8 and other curved edge phones that has full adhesive,no dot matrix effect, and covers the entire edge to edge without any de lamination
Old 09-21-17, 12:29 AM   #6047
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've never used a screen protector. I use a rear case with a raised lip on the front, so the glass is raised when I put the phone face down. I understand that it's different with a curved screen, but I haven't decided how to handle that.
Old 09-21-17, 09:47 AM   #6048
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I've never used a screen protector. I use a rear case with a raised lip on the front, so the glass is raised when I put the phone face down. I understand that it's different with a curved screen, but I haven't decided how to handle that.
Due to the side edges, the lip on the case is typically only at the top and bottom for the note 8. This is enough to protect from face down scratches
Old 09-21-17, 10:10 AM   #6049
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, I'm not sure if this is an Android thing, or a motorola thing, but I thought it was pretty funny. A while back I asked why Android has 2 lock screens, and you guys explained that one of them is called "PEEK", so you can just click on the icon, and get a quick peek at your notifications.

So one thing I've noticed, is that when playing a song (either google music or spotify), the peek icon, when pressed, will show me the name of the song, as well a song controls: pause, forward, and rewind buttons. BUT you can't actually push those buttons, because if you try, it undoes the peek, without doing the function of the button you've pushed.

Probably the dumbest thing I've seen on Android yet. Other than that, and the actual phone flakiness, I'm getting rather used to android at this point.
Old 09-21-17, 10:16 AM   #6050
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Due to the side edges, the lip on the case is typically only at the top and bottom for the note 8. This is enough to protect from face down scratches
I have seen a few videos where the reviewers toss the Note 8 face down on a surface, and it does fine due to the top and bottom raised lips. That's why I'm leaning to keep doing what I do now: Use a rear case with no screen protector.