Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-08-17, 12:29 PM   #5976
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist of Doom View Post
All of a sudden, the other day, my internet connection ground to a halt. YouTube videos freeze up so much, they aren't even worth watching. Google Play games download so slow that "glacial" doesn't even describe their pace.

I did a factory reset to no avail. And it's not like I used up a whole lot of memory in the first place.

Any thoughts?
An update, because I know you all have been on the edge of your seats wanting to know my phone status.

After my factory reset, it took a couple of days, but my internet service went back to normal speed. About 10 days later, streaming services and Google Play went back to working.

I was dreading going to Wal-Mart to ask for help/a new phone. I'm sure they would have blamed Verizon and vice-versa. You know how these huge corporations work.

Sidenote: Thanks to fumanstan for your advice. Turns out I didn't need it, since the problem solved itself!
Old 07-08-17, 11:53 PM   #5977
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Question about FoxFi.

Do I need to have my phone's Wi-Fi or cellular data plan turned at the same time I'm using FoxFi? I'm new to this app.
I believe that you just need cellular data on.
Old 07-11-17, 11:59 PM   #5978
DVD Talk Godfather

Possible look at the Pixel XL 2, made by LG and following the LG/Samsung aspect ratio. Looks nice, i'll have to decide if i want to upgrade my current Pixel XL.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07...eezable-frame/

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 07-13-17, 09:58 PM   #5979
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm currently on Metro PCS's $30 plan, and I was wondering if there was anything cheaper? I don't use my phone much. Thank you.
Old 07-14-17, 06:50 AM   #5980
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I'm currently on Metro PCS's $30 plan, and I was wondering if there was anything cheaper? I don't use my phone much. Thank you.
Do you not use much data? What model phone do you have right now? Is it carrier unlocked? Would you be willing to switch phones?

This article has a lot of cheap plans, although the cheapest that's most likely to work with your current phone is this:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375644,00.asp
Quote:
look at the Red Pocket $10 Essentials Plan, which has 500 minutes, 500 texts, and 100MB of LTE data per month on any of the four major US networks
More plans:
http://clark.com/best-of-mobile-elec...e-plans-deals/
Old 07-14-17, 04:23 PM   #5981
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a BLU R1 HD and I do believe it's carrier unlocked. I switched from T-Mobile to MetroPCS, but that was before the former purchased the latter. I need to do some research about the plans before I figure out if I want to switch phones.

Thank you, Jay.
Old 07-14-17, 04:44 PM   #5982
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I have a BLU R1 HD and I do believe it's carrier unlocked. I switched from T-Mobile to MetroPCS, but that was before the former purchased the latter.
Where did you purchase the BLU from? MetroPCS was bought by T-Mobile in 2013, the BLU R1 HD came out in 2016, so it's still possible it could be locked to T-Mobile's network.

http://www.gsmarena.com/blu_r1_hd-8171.php
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/BLU-R1-HD_id10169
Old 07-14-17, 05:07 PM   #5983
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I purchased it from Amazon.com.
Old 07-14-17, 05:17 PM   #5984
DVD Talk Hero

The blu r1 is factory sim unlocked.
Old 07-14-17, 05:29 PM   #5985
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I purchased it from Amazon.com.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
The blu r1 is factory sim unlocked.
Yeah, I didn't know if MetroPCS or T-Mobile had a specific carrier locked version of that phone, but if it's the Amazon Prime with Ads one, it's carrier unlocked.
Old 07-14-17, 06:52 PM   #5986
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some great plans I'm seeing in that list, I might go for either mintSim or Red Pocket. Thank you, gentlemen.
Old 07-15-17, 08:40 AM   #5987
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Some great plans I'm seeing in that list, I might go for either mintSim or Red Pocket. Thank you, gentlemen.
If you are willing to commit to a year up front then mint is $13/mo for 2gb data andn unlimited talk and text.

Keep in mind mint is a T-Mobile sub mvno
Old 07-16-17, 12:28 PM   #5988
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I have another Android question. One thing that I'm having a hard time adjusting to from the iphone, is the gallery app. Yes, I know I can download a different gallery app, but from the few I've tried, they all lack the one thing that I NEED: An "all photos" view. It seems like every app decides to save pics in their own directory, whatsapp, messenger, facebook messenger, screenshots, etc ...

When I'm looking for a pic in the gallery, 9 times out of 10, it's one that is recent. I don't want to have to dig through folders to find it. I just want a view that shows me EVERYTHING.

Is there a gallery app that has that? Or am I missing something obvious with the built in gallery app (photos)?
Old 07-16-17, 12:37 PM   #5989
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On my phone Photo app (original Android Photo app, not something I downloaded after the fact), there is an "Albums" tab that sorts by categories of pictures, and a "Photos" tab that organizes by date, most recent first.
Old 07-16-17, 12:52 PM   #5990
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
On my phone Photo app (original Android Photo app, not something I downloaded after the fact), there is an "Albums" tab that sorts by categories of pictures, and a "Photos" tab that organizes by date, most recent first.
I don't know how I missed that! Thanks
Old 07-16-17, 01:46 PM   #5991
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

These phones keep getting bigger, giving them more space to add tabs and labels and more and more options, sometimes making them harder to find.
Old 07-16-17, 05:33 PM   #5992
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post

These phones keep getting bigger, giving them more space to add tabs and labels and more and more options, sometimes making them harder to find.
yeah, that photos app is really a convoluted mess
Old 07-18-17, 03:56 PM   #5993
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Question: I have a Motorola Moto G4. When I turn off and on (I wish it still had a "reboot" option), it says 'Hello Moto' (like, out loud). Can i shut it up?
Old 07-19-17, 03:04 PM   #5994
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some people took advantage of a Best Buy pricing error and got a Samsung Galaxy 8 for about $100...
Old 07-20-17, 06:08 PM   #5995
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Some people took advantage of a Best Buy pricing error and got a Samsung Galaxy 8 for about $100...
Damn, I would have jumped on that if I knew about it!

God bless the Internet.
Old 07-23-17, 11:03 AM   #5996
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, it's time for another stupid android question! Why does my phone (moto g5) have 2 different lock screens? It looks like if I push the power button to wake up my phone, I get one lock screen (where it clearly shows all notifications (with details)). If I wake my phone up by just picking it up, then I get a different lock screen, that only shows notification icons (and if I click on the icon it gives more details).

And I can't seem to find any settings to customize either one of those. Do I need to switch to a different launcher in order to customize lock screens (I'm currently using the default Android Nougat launcher)? Can I get rid of one of them somehow, so I always get the full detail lockscreen no matter how I wake up my phone?
Old 07-23-17, 11:48 AM   #5997
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Ok, it's time for another stupid android question! Why does my phone (moto g5) have 2 different lock screens? It looks like if I push the power button to wake up my phone, I get one lock screen (where it clearly shows all notifications (with details)). If I wake my phone up by just picking it up, then I get a different lock screen, that only shows notification icons (and if I click on the icon it gives more details).

And I can't seem to find any settings to customize either one of those. Do I need to switch to a different launcher in order to customize lock screens (I'm currently using the default Android Nougat launcher)? Can I get rid of one of them somehow, so I always get the full detail lockscreen no matter how I wake up my phone?
I've got a G5+, using the Nova launcher. (I had to use something other than stock just so I could remove the annoying Google search bar.) I've dug around a little and can't seem to find a lockscreen option. I don't know if that can be changed or not.

Regarding your earlier question, I hunted and hunted for a gallery when I first got the phone. After I while I realized that Moto didn't have its own gallery app and was letting Google Photos do the job. I've since downloaded an app called Piktures for my gallery. (It has an "all photos" option BTW.)

Overall I like this phone, except for one big thing, which is bugging me and I'm wondering if I have a lemon or if it's just the way the phone is. Whenever I have only wifi on and an MMS message comes through, I have to manually turn data on for it to download. All of my previous phones would do that automatically. I'm on Cricket/AT&T, have the updated white SIM, and my APN settings are correct. Turning data on is needed whether I use the stock texting app or Textra. Is it just me?
"Food snobs believe that anything created in Europe is inherently superior to the American-made equivalent. Allow me to explode that fallacy with these words: the 1983 Renault Alliance." - Michael J. Nelson

Not that you care...
Old 07-23-17, 12:47 PM   #5998
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Ok, it's time for another stupid android question! Why does my phone (moto g5) have 2 different lock screens? It looks like if I push the power button to wake up my phone, I get one lock screen (where it clearly shows all notifications (with details)). If I wake my phone up by just picking it up, then I get a different lock screen, that only shows notification icons (and if I click on the icon it gives more details)
It's called "Ambient Display," and it's a feature that lets you "peak" at the notifications on your phone to see if you've gotten any without fully waking your phone by turning it on and getting to the lock screen. It replaces the small LED notification lights on older Android phone:
https://www.androidcentral.com/ambient-display-nexus-6

There's not really a way to customize the lock screen via any apps like Launchers, since it's a huge security risk to expose the locking mechanism via API. Sometimes customized ROMs will introduce new lockscreen features, but that means rooting and flashing your phone with new firmware, wiping all your current data and settings.
Old 07-23-17, 02:25 PM   #5999
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLinus;13119237
Overall I like this phone, except for one big thing, which is bugging me and I'm wondering if I have a lemon or if it's just the way the phone is. Whenever I have only wifi on and an MMS message comes through, I have to manually turn data on for it to download. All of my previous phones would do that automatically. I'm on Cricket/AT&T, have the updated white SIM, and my APN settings are correct. Turning data on is needed whether I use the stock texting app or Textra. Is it just me?
Thanks for the tip on the gallery app. That one is EXACTLY what I was looking for!

When you turn off data, do you have the data saver option turned on? There's an option deep in the settings that will let you turn on access to data on an app by app basis for things when data saver is turned on. That might help if you turn access on for the messages app.

Oh, another interesting thing happened to me, the other day. I got a notification that I was about to go over my data plan, which is weird, because it's 15 gigs and I normally only use 5 or so gigs a month. Anyway, I went into to settings to see what the heck app was using up all the data, and it was Chrome! 11 gigs in Chrome alone, which is SUPER strange, because I rarely use the web browser at all.

Took me some time to figure it out, but one of the few things I use chrome for, is my live doggie cam. I think what happened was I went to the doggie cam web page, checked on my dogs, and then just switched back to another app. Apparently the dog web cam was running in the background for DAYS. Thanks Google! Anyway, had to turn off "allow background data" for chrome to get that to stop.

Last edited by joeblow69; 07-23-17 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-23-17, 02:39 PM   #6000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the gallery app. That one is EXACTLY what I was looking for!

When you turn off data, do you have the data saver option turned on? There's an option deep in the settings that will let you turn on access to data on an app by app basis for things when data saver is turned on. That might help if you turn access on for the messages app.
You're welcome! No, I don't have the data saver turned on. So would that be the compromise/workaround I'd have to do in this situation, always keep data on, but use the data saver and whitelist my messaging app?
"Food snobs believe that anything created in Europe is inherently superior to the American-made equivalent. Allow me to explode that fallacy with these words: the 1983 Renault Alliance." - Michael J. Nelson

Not that you care...