DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-30-17, 12:08 AM   #5951
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Are you saying that a USB-PD compliant device would tolerate even a bad cable, whereas a non-compliant device would allow a bad cable to fry the host port?

I am asking because I am getting a laptop with USB-C ports (my first).
Old 05-30-17, 08:13 AM   #5952
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Key words being well designed. The cable is the weak point of the system in USB c. It needs to have the 56k resistor else if not then it could indicate to the phone that it supports usb pd and draw 3a even if the charger doesn't support it . And many usb c cables don't have this.

In contrast in the old days with microusb, junk microusb cables would just charge slow.

The issue is some people buy the cheapest cable on Amazon or eBay...and with microusb, it didn't matter but with usb c it does.
It seems like they did that resistor thing backwards; they likely should've required the resistor to indicate support for USB-PD. As it is, that particular problem will only potentially damage the charger, not the phone.

But still, good to know. So for USB-C phones, pay attention to the cables and chargers you use, while for Micro-USB phones, any cable/charger connection should be fine.
Old 05-30-17, 09:00 AM   #5953
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
It seems like they did that resistor thing backwards; they likely should've required the resistor to indicate support for USB-PD. As it is, that particular problem will only potentially damage the charger, not the phone.

But still, good to know. So for USB-C phones, pay attention to the cables and chargers you use, while for Micro-USB phones, any cable/charger connection should be fine.
Yeah i would have preferred the safer method of resistor required for usb pd.

If you charge with a brick then w/e. They are cheap to replace. Although...it could be a fire hazard especially with cheaper bricks that might not have the appropriate protection.But if you charge the phone with your laptop then it can mess up the usb port on your laptop.

Really though your best bet is to buy usb c cables that meet usb c specs because you never know when you might plug the phone into a computer. Unless you are 100% sure that you will never ever plug it into a computer. Benson Leung and company have been reviewing cables on Amazon, I would recommend getting ones that he and his compatriots have tested and confirmed to meet USB c specs.
Old 06-05-17, 09:57 AM   #5954
DVD Talk Hero

Can someone please help me with this : My new Galaxy S8 has this weird quirk where it sometimes will start playing audio (specifically podcasts with Player FM) when I receive a text message. Really became a problem last night with a 3AM emergency text. I don't know why it sometimes happens or how to fix it.
Old 06-05-17, 11:32 AM   #5955
DVD Talk Godfather

I had a similar issue at one point with my Pixel, where any new notification sound would basically trigger Clash Royale's music to start. I'm not sure if it was just a problem with a specific version of Android, but it just seemed to get fixed with one of the security updates.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 06-05-17, 12:21 PM   #5956
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I had a similar issue at one point with my Pixel, where any new notification sound would basically trigger Clash Royale's music to start.
That sounds like a feature 😁
Old 06-21-17, 10:22 AM   #5957
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, so I finally switched from iPhone to Android last night (Moto G5 Plus) and am having lots of issues:

1) Not getting text messages from apple users. Call into apple says that deactivated iMessage may take up to 24 hours, so I guess I just have to wait and hope for the best

2) Not digging the gmail app. I have 3 accounts, 2 gmail, and 1 pop, and while I got it all working, the interface blows for multiple accounts. Is there a free email app that people like that works well with multiple accounts?

3) Visual Voicemail. Not working at all. I'm on AT&T, and tried using the AT&T Visual Voicemail app, but it fails during setup. I am trying the Google Voice app, and it looks like it is set up right, and not giving any errors, but it doesn't show any voicemails. I can manually call into the voicemail number and that works, but damn that's ghetto. got this working

4) Is there a free way to read/send text messages from my PC? On apple, the imessage app allows you to read messages on my macbook. There's a hangouts chrome app that I tried installing on my PC, but that only seems to send messages from my google voice number, not my actual cell number. I have to say, this google voice stuff is really confounding.

5) a number of the Moto specific things that I read about don't seem to work (and I don't see an option to enable them). Like "swiping left/right on the fingerprint sensor should do something" or "wave your hand in front of the phone to show notifications" doesn't do anything either. got this working,
found the settings for most of those, but the wave the hand thing required a separate app to enable

6) when I plug my phone into my computer, it defaults to "charge only" mode. I have to manually change it to "transfer files" to get photos to transfer. Is there a way to change this default, or do I need to do that every time? got this working, thanks!

Last edited by joeblow69; 06-21-17 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-21-17, 11:03 AM   #5958
DVD Talk Hero

Just some notes.

Google Voice and Hangouts are completely separate from everything else, it's only really of use with the Google Phone Number you signed up for (if you signed up for one), not your AT&T number. If you want to use your AT&T Number for it, you'll have to transfer that number to Google Voice and get a new AT&T number. Hangouts works with other people logged into Hangouts, but doesn't have a Laptop -> SMS feature unless you're using your Google Voice Number. On the flip side, if you transfer your AT&T number to GV, you can have it ring multiple phones (Home phone, cell phone, business phone, etc; )

Visual Voicemail for your AT&T number requires you use AT&T's app for it, contact them if it's failing.

There is an app called AirDroid that installs on your phone and lets you sync it to your computer, it allows you to send messages and access/transfer files and what have you, wirelessly.

You can set the default USB plug-in action in the Developer Options menu, to access it go to About Phone (settings) and tap the Build Number about 5 times. Not sure why that's still on the Dev menu but at least it's an option.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-21-17 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-21-17, 11:10 AM   #5959
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks, I did just get the AT&T voicemail thing working, I had to call them and give them my new IMEI number. Didn't have any luck with google voice, sounds like I should just give up on that, though I really did like their voicemail dictation service!
Old 06-21-17, 11:21 AM   #5960
DVD Talk Hero

Updated with a few other things.
Old 06-21-17, 04:07 PM   #5961
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Btw, is it normal for android icons not to have little badges on them with numbers? Like number of unread emails on the email icon, or notifications on the facebook icon? All I get are things in the notification bar?
Old 06-21-17, 04:33 PM   #5962
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Btw, is it normal for android icons not to have little badges on them with numbers? Like number of unread emails on the email icon, or notifications on the facebook icon? All I get are things in the notification bar?
Yes, it's normal. Android is adding this in Android O:
https://developer.android.com/previe...on-badges.html

Some phones with specialized Launchers may have this feature already, like Samsung phones:
http://www.androidauthority.com/disa...axy-s8-770204/

There's also third-party Launchers and utilities that will add this to other Android phones now, like Go Launcher, the paid version of Nova Launcher with TeslaUnread, or Notifyer Unread Count. These may not work with all aps though.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/go...on-badges.html

iOS had the badges before it had a notification area. Android always had a notification bar, so that's where it's traditionally notified you of new stuff for apps, but it looks like badges have been requested enough that Google is finally adding it in.
Old 06-21-17, 08:59 PM   #5963
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All of a sudden, the other day, my internet connection ground to a halt. YouTube videos freeze up so much, they aren't even worth watching. Google Play games download so slow that "glacial" doesn't even describe their pace.

I did a factory reset to no avail. And it's not like I used up a whole lot of memory in the first place.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-21-17, 11:49 PM   #5964
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist of Doom View Post
All of a sudden, the other day, my internet connection ground to a halt. YouTube videos freeze up so much, they aren't even worth watching. Google Play games download so slow that "glacial" doesn't even describe their pace.

I did a factory reset to no avail. And it's not like I used up a whole lot of memory in the first place.

Any thoughts?
What phone? Are you on WiFi or just via a cellular connection? If you are on cellular, have you tried on WiFi to see if there's a difference? Try a speed test app to see how fast you're getting and compare.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 06-27-17, 09:49 AM   #5965
DVD Talk Limited Edition

btw, if anyone was wondering about the Moto G5 plus, I really like it! It doesn't feel like a budget phone to me, and seems almost like a little step up from my iphone 6.

Still getting used to Android, and the main sticking point of it not being compatible with iMessage, but other than that it's great!