DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-23-17, 10:24 PM   #5901
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Does anyone know what comes in the $50 of Oculus VR content in the VR Bundles? Is it a store credit or is it a bundle of games?

I got a good laugh at the message board for Samsung at all the folks LIVID that they couldn't get in on the $99 Fully Immersive bundle. I mean, I understand that they wanted it and there were only 50,000 available, but they all still get the VR bundle for free and the Bluetooth headphones are only a little more than $100 at Amazon. Yes, the 256 GB micro SD card is nice (and very expensive otherwise), but it's not like it's a necessity and smaller cards are very inexpensive. These folks talking about returning their phones, switching to iPhones or even writing their attorneys need to check themselves -- it's just not that big a deal.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 04-24-17, 02:23 AM   #5902
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Does anyone know what comes in the $50 of Oculus VR content in the VR Bundles? Is it a store credit or is it a bundle of games?

I got a good laugh at the message board for Samsung at all the folks LIVID that they couldn't get in on the $99 Fully Immersive bundle. I mean, I understand that they wanted it and there were only 50,000 available, but they all still get the VR bundle for free and the Bluetooth headphones are only a little more than $100 at Amazon. Yes, the 256 GB micro SD card is nice (and very expensive otherwise), but it's not like it's a necessity and smaller cards are very inexpensive. These folks talking about returning their phones, switching to iPhones or even writing their attorneys need to check themselves -- it's just not that big a deal.
Jesus, some really entitled assholes on that board. I just cringed at some of the comments posted there.

It's a fricking promotion/add-on. It's no big deal. There are plenty of places to get inexpensive head phones and an SD card. You're spending $750-850 on a new phone.
Old 04-24-17, 08:00 AM   #5903
DVD Talk Hero

If it's like last time on the s7, then you will get a bundle of games. Iirc, When you sign up or sign into your oculus account and register your vr then the apps will show up on your account.
Old 04-24-17, 11:34 AM   #5904
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like my S8+, but other than battery life, not much of a difference IMO from my old S6 edge +.
Old 04-25-17, 11:57 AM   #5905
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My T-Mobile Samsung Note5 got the Nougat update last night. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but some of the settings look different.
Old 04-25-17, 12:20 PM   #5906
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I'll be getting a new phone soon and while searching here I saw in another thread that some of y'all have the Moto 5G Plus and the Huawei Honor 6x. Now that some time has passed, do you still like them? Pros? Cons?

I'm leaning towards the 64 gb Moto, though the Honor's advantages seem to be price and a bigger screen. Are the cameras about equal? I've read/watched reviews where one or the other is given the edge. (I'd love to have one that does really well in low light, but can't justify paying flagship prices, so I'll take one as good as I can get for the money.)

i like my current phone okay - an Alcatel Idol 3 - but I've maxed out the 16 gb, having had to delete a bunch of apps and unable to update the ones left on it. Even with religiously clearing the cache, I don't know where all the space went. (Pictures and music are on the SD card.) I figure a higher capacity phone would do me good in that regard. But I'll miss the Idol 3's dual front speakers. They're pretty good.
"Food snobs believe that anything created in Europe is inherently superior to the American-made equivalent. Allow me to explode that fallacy with these words: the 1983 Renault Alliance." - Michael J. Nelson

Not that you care...
Old 04-25-17, 05:24 PM   #5907
DVD Talk Hero

Honor 8 when on sale recently was at $240. A better choice, if you can wait for a sale.
Old 04-26-17, 05:36 AM   #5908
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well a few days with the S8 and I am VERY happy with it. So good to be able to simply plug a phone into a computer and work with it without having to use iTunes. To test it I put on music, a movie, Iron Fist season 1, PDFs, Mame about 50 ROMs and some graphic novels. The result is a smooth ride all the way. Picture quality is superb, battery life is fantastic. The speakers are a little weak and I have no love for the earphones they give with the phone, but I intended buying new wireless headphones sometime soon anyway. Gonna grab a 256GB card this week. I hated the limitation with my iPhone 6 and its 16gb storage. This has done away with that. Still tonnes of stuff to play with, but so far very happy. The only thing j wish it had which I don't see is the ability to take 360 degree photos.
Old 04-26-17, 10:07 AM   #5909
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
I have no love for the earphones they give with the phone, but I intended buying new wireless headphones sometime soon anyway.
What don't you like about the earphones, fit or sound? Those are supposed to be better earphones made by AKG.
Old 04-26-17, 10:46 AM   #5910

Well the sound of the earphones sounds fine...as long as you push them all the way inside your head. And thats the big problem, i hate earbuds that are designed this shape and expected to be pushed as far into the human ear as possible (otherwise they keep falling out).
Old 04-26-17, 10:50 AM   #5911
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
What don't you like about the earphones, fit or sound? Those are supposed to be better earphones made by AKG.
They sounded like crap when i first used them, but then I went up a size on the foam things, and now they should a lot better.
Old 04-26-17, 03:29 PM   #5912
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Well the sound of the earphones sounds fine...as long as you push them all the way inside your head. And thats the big problem, i hate earbuds that are designed this shape and expected to be pushed as far into the human ear as possible (otherwise they keep falling out).
That's the thing with iem. You have to have a good fitment or even a thousand dollar pair aren't going to sound good.
Old 04-26-17, 04:49 PM   #5913
DVD Talk God

Not Android related really but, my work upgraded us to iPhones after using dumb phones for over a decade. Holy shit they are terrible. After 5 minutes I wanted to chuck it out of a window. Thank goodness for Android. So much better.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW

Last edited by Deftones; 04-26-17 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-26-17, 06:11 PM   #5914
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

the battery life on the S8+ is ridiculously good.
Old 04-27-17, 09:15 AM   #5915
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I updated my S8 software overnight. After the update, I was awoken at 5:59 with this helpful Notification:

That's right, my phone noticed that I like to wake up at 7 AM and therefore woke me up at 6AM in order to offer a reminder to wake me up at 7.
Who thought that was a good idea?

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 04-27-17, 10:21 AM   #5916
DVD Talk Hero

I don't like when technology does your basic thinking for you, especially when it does stuff I never asked it to do.
Old 04-27-17, 11:44 AM   #5917

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM View Post
the battery life on the S8+ is ridiculously good.
I concur. The day i got mine it had something like 48% battery charge. Fast forward a day later and after substantial use and its only just needing to be charged. Compared to my iPhone 6 which would need charging maybe 2-3 times a day. Glad i finished with those pieces of shit.

Oh and just ordered a 200GB MiscroSD card. Its amazing to have so much space again on a phone. The 16GB i has on the iPhone filled up amazingly quickly and it was only around 12GB max capacity that was ever free.

The functionality of the S8 is superb. Within minutes a person is completely at ease in using it and getting around. Just all round a great purchase.
Old 04-28-17, 12:34 PM   #5918
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Honor 8 when on sale recently was at $240. A better choice, if you can wait for a sale.
Given its MSRP I never even checked it out. Looks like it has great specs and good reviews. And I really like the blue option. (I wish more phones would go beyond the standard gray/black/white choices, but I guess that's why they make cases.) If I could find it for $240 it'd be a no brainer, but I'd like to get a new phone sooner rather than later. Probably within the next few days. I'll cross my fingers for a sale.

One perk of going the Moto route, though, is when friends ask what kind of phone I have it won't immediately be followed by an "a what?" I've had to do a lot of elaborating with the Alcatel.
"Food snobs believe that anything created in Europe is inherently superior to the American-made equivalent. Allow me to explode that fallacy with these words: the 1983 Renault Alliance." - Michael J. Nelson

Not that you care...
Old 04-28-17, 05:23 PM   #5919
DVD Talk Hero

http://membershipwireless.com/conten...=PROMO_TMO_GS8

Costco T-Mobile S8 comes with $200 cash card and Tylt power essentials pack. Good till 4/30
Old 04-28-17, 08:17 PM   #5920
DVD Talk Hero

I wound up with a s8, should have got the plus but honestly I can't really complain. I loved the Nexus 6P I had but Android Auto not only ran sluggishly more times than not, but once you would exit the software the entire phone basically went into shock until reboot. All those issues are gone here, the battery life is better, the screen is nicer, the camera is much faster, etc. All in all, pretty happy.

The curve seems far less pronounced than it was on Edge models and actually has a use as I can now hit the sides of screens properly with an otter box on it.

(My car supports Android Auto and it is now one of my favorite phone features)
Old 04-30-17, 03:31 PM   #5921
DVD Talk Legend

I like the S8 also. Some cool differences are the screen capture/motioncapture/image-to-text feature.
-screenshot an image, it will convert it to text.
-screenshot a video, it will make animated gif
plus a few other neat screencapture abilities (ie scroll capture)

So everyone switching to usb-c ... are you buying new cables or adapters tips for all your old micro cords?
Old 04-30-17, 09:20 PM   #5922
DVD Talk Godfather

I just bought new cables when I switched to USB-C, at least as far as picking up USB A to C cables to complement the USB-C cable that came with my phones.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 04-30-17, 10:29 PM   #5923
DVD Talk Hero

New. My car has an USB-A Female port, so I bought two cheap USB-A Male to USB C cables and haven't looked back (one for the car, one as a spare for computers and what have you. Then of course the charger came with one as well (unlike the Nexus 6P which was USB-C to USB-C))
Old 05-01-17, 07:14 AM   #5924
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went ahead and got the Moto G5 Plus yesterday - same day delivery! - however I neglected to check the SIM specs. My current phone takes a micro SIM, this one a nano SIM. So I haven't had a chance to play with the phone yet. I guess I'll have to take my SIM to Cricket and see if they can cut it down. (Having never done it before, I don't trust myself.)

Or I could spend $2 at Amazon and get a new SIM, but registering it seems like an extra hassle.

Not that you care...
Old 05-01-17, 08:19 AM   #5925
DVD Talk Hero

I would strongly recommend new cables... The micro to usb c adapters that i have used were bulky.

Also i noticed that some third party cables didn't work well with the s8+. Meaning they don't charge or charge at a slow rate.