Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-15-17, 06:09 PM   #5876
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Zero reason? My battery life sucks. I have to charge it two or three times a day or it will die.
My battery still lasts the entire day with a full charge - I may need to charge it once during days with heavy use, but it's been the same since I've bought it.
Old 04-16-17, 01:59 AM   #5877
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
You can side load regular android apps on kindle fires, and even install the google play store (though it looks a little trickey)
How to Get Google Play on a Kindle Fire and Install Any Android App You Want
It took me like half an hour to install the Play Store on 3 Kindle Fires over Christmas. It is stupid easy. The method they're trying to get you to use with ADB and all that is unnecessarily complicated. Use this method:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...no-pc-or-root/
Old 04-18-17, 03:51 PM   #5878
DVD Talk Godfather

Galaxy S8 reviews are out and look like they're excellent.

9 from The Verge - http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/18/15...review-s8-plus
91 from Engadget - https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/18/...8-plus-review/

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 04-18-17, 08:12 PM   #5879
DVD Talk Hero

T-Mobile sent me an e-mail last Friday saying my S8 Plus shipped. But, it looks like it hasn't shipped yet according to UPS tracking. It says only a label has been created.

Got me excited for nothing. Thought I was getting way before street date (4/21)
Old 04-19-17, 06:41 PM   #5880
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
T-Mobile sent me an e-mail last Friday saying my S8 Plus shipped. But, it looks like it hasn't shipped yet according to UPS tracking. It says only a label has been created.

Got me excited for nothing. Thought I was getting way before street date (4/21)
Shocking, Verizon is usually the one lagging, but I got mine today.
Old 04-19-17, 07:38 PM   #5881
DVD Talk Hero

I just picked up my S8. It's pretty nice, but I forgot what a royal PITA it is to redownload everything you use and sign into everything and re-pair all your Bluetooth devices.

Oh, and it won't plug into existing USB cables without a little adapter. That isn't so great.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 04-19-17, 09:37 PM   #5882
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw the S8 and S8 Plus at Best Buy today. They look and feel amazing.

The Samsung and Apple tables were right next to each other so I was able to compare them side by side to the iPhones, and the 7 Plus looked positively so... last year, with their thick side bezels and bottom chin with home button. It's ironic how the Samsung curved edge design started a few years ago as a useless gimmick, but has since evolved into a beautiful feature offering edge to edge screen display, and slim body despite the huge display size.

I am going to hold back waiting for the Note 8 because I want a stylus, but the S8 and S8 Plus are IMO the best there is right now in smart phones.
Old 04-19-17, 10:01 PM   #5883
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I just picked up my S8. It's pretty nice, but I forgot what a royal PITA it is to redownload everything you use and sign into everything and re-pair all your Bluetooth devices.

Oh, and it won't plug into existing USB cables without a little adapter. That isn't so great.
It should work with any usb c cable like the one from my late note 7
Old 04-19-17, 10:16 PM   #5884
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I don't have any of those.

Do these USB C plugs keep the female end in the phone from getting all loose and unreliable after time the way previous Micro USB plugs do? If so, then I'm fine with buying some new cables.

Old 04-20-17, 09:43 AM   #5885
DVD Talk Hero

Have they made any cases that can properly protect the Samsung curved screens? I unfortunately drop my phone a lot and that curve just makes it seem more prone to busting.
Old 04-20-17, 10:48 AM   #5886
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:

Do these USB C plugs keep the female end in the phone from getting all loose and unreliable after time the way previous Micro USB plugs do? If so, then I'm fine with buying some new cables.
For what it's worth, i've been using USB C cables for the last couple years (Nexus 5X, Google Pixel XL) and haven't had any problems with them getting loose. Although i've probably only had one Micro USB cable have that issue for me.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 04-20-17, 07:11 PM   #5887
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Have they made any cases that can properly protect the Samsung curved screens? I unfortunately drop my phone a lot and that curve just makes it seem more prone to busting.
I bought this one. It seems well made, fits snugly and provides decent protection without being that bulky -- not that I'm dropping my phone to test it.

BTW : The iris scanner is AMAZE-BALLZ! Easily the second-best feature on this phone after the screen. It works great and so fast. I saw one of those reviews talking about how difficult it was to use; they must have been stoned because I haven't had a single problem and it works every time.
They have some digital "masks" you can use like pilot goggles or diving mask graphics that really help you line up your eyes to the scanner quickly.

Old 04-20-17, 11:37 PM   #5888
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I have a tech21 evo check case and it works fine with the edge. It is rated for 10' drop.

Spigen has a pretty rugged case but it is pretty bulky

https://www.spigen.com/collections/galaxy-s8-plus/products/galaxy-s8-rugged-armor-extra

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 04-20-17 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-21-17, 08:14 AM   #5889
DVD Talk Legend

I have this case for my S7 Edge and I think it works great. I have had some pretty significant drops and no damage. I hate cases in general, but after paying close to 300 to repair this phone already when I didn't have a case, I'm getting used to one now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-21-17, 08:42 AM   #5890
DVD Talk Hero

My S8 Plus arrived on Wednesday.

Was out of town, so my Dad actually waited around for the UPS delivery for me and signed for it.

Anyways, it's a beautiful phone. Hopefully I'll maximize all it's capabilities. Before the phone arrived, I previously ordered a case and screen protector from Amazon, so I'm good on accessories for the time being.

One thing that was kind of a pain in the butt to put in was the new Micro SD card that I bought. I bought a 128 GB Sandisk Micro SD Card and it was kind of tough to put in. It didn't seem to fit in the slot easily. I had to kind of put a little force to get it in. For a second, I was unsure if this card was even compatible size-wise. But, it seems to be working.

I have a question about how to use the Micro SD card when storing data, recording video, taking pictures. So far, it seems like all the apps are installing in the internal 64 GB memory. Is there a way to find out/setting, so that I can use the Micro SD card to store stuff?

The reason I ask, is because I'm going on vacation next month to Asia and I plan to take a lot of photos and maybe shoot some video. The whole point of me getting the Micro SD card was being able to have the extra room. How will I be able to set it so that the SD card will be taking in the new content? Just not quite sure how the SD card works. Does it only work when the internal memory starts running out?

Last edited by DJariya; 04-21-17 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-21-17, 04:01 PM   #5891
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
My S8 Plus arrived on Wednesday.

Was out of town, so my Dad actually waited around for the UPS delivery for me and signed for it.

Anyways, it's a beautiful phone. Hopefully I'll maximize all it's capabilities. Before the phone arrived, I previously ordered a case and screen protector from Amazon, so I'm good on accessories for the time being.

One thing that was kind of a pain in the butt to put in was the new Micro SD card that I bought. I bought a 128 GB Sandisk Micro SD Card and it was kind of tough to put in. It didn't seem to fit in the slot easily. I had to kind of put a little force to get it in. For a second, I was unsure if this card was even compatible size-wise. But, it seems to be working.

I have a question about how to use the Micro SD card when storing data, recording video, taking pictures. So far, it seems like all the apps are installing in the internal 64 GB memory. Is there a way to find out/setting, so that I can use the Micro SD card to store stuff?

The reason I ask, is because I'm going on vacation next month to Asia and I plan to take a lot of photos and maybe shoot some video. The whole point of me getting the Micro SD card was being able to have the extra room. How will I be able to set it so that the SD card will be taking in the new content? Just not quite sure how the SD card works. Does it only work when the internal memory starts running out?
Personally i use SD card only for disposable media, meaning stuff you backed up elsewhere. But you can set the camera to store pictures and video on the SD card if desired.

Samsung doesn't support adoptable storage if that's what you are asking. There's no way to set all new data to go on the SD card, though some apps have settings that you can specify to use the SD card.
Old 04-21-17, 07:32 PM   #5892
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I went and bought Samsung S8+'s for me and the wife this morning and really liking it so far. Running and looking way better than my iPhone 6. It's been a few years since I had an Android, but I always prefered them to iPhones.
Old 04-21-17, 07:45 PM   #5893
DVD Talk Hero

Since I pre-ordered the S8 Plus back on March 31st, I qualified for a free VR headset. You had to register on the Samsung website, upload a receipt and input your IMEI number along with some Wi-fi Mac address.

It says the delivery time is 6-8 weeks. That had another promotion where you can also get a pair of headphones and 256 GB Micro SD card in addition to the VR headset for $99 total. That apparently sold out. It was no longer available on the website.

Not sure what I'm going to use the VR headset for. But, it's free and is apparently worth $175.
Old 04-22-17, 12:03 PM   #5894
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, the $99 bundle sold out? That's surprising since I assumed everyone would just grab the freebie. Anyway, I went ahead and purchased the $99 bundle on Thursday night because I needed the large memory card anyway and figured I might like the Bluetooth headphones. Glad to see I must have made a good choice. That speeds up the process considerably-- my bundle will ship in 2-3 days.

Are you guys loving the Iris lock as much as I do?
Old 04-23-17, 06:07 AM   #5895
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone got advice about how to get my phone to stop being so darn slow?

I was really late to update from a flip-phone, and my smartphone (LG) worked great for a few weeks, but all of a sudden streaming services are brutally slow. Watching a YouTube video isn't even worth it, with the constant hang-ups.

I've tried restarting a couple of times, but it hasn't helped.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-23-17, 11:50 AM   #5896
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist of Doom View Post

I was really late to update from a flip-phone, and my smartphone (LG) worked great for a few weeks, but all of a sudden streaming services are brutally slow. Watching a YouTube video isn't even worth it, with the constant hang-ups.

how much free space do you have?
Old 04-23-17, 12:00 PM   #5897
DVD Talk Hero

Try clearing cache and app data on YouTube
Old 04-23-17, 01:12 PM   #5898
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I would delete pretty much every non-essential app. Maybe back-up/save, then restore to factory setting, and re-install that backup that doesn't have those deleted apps. See if it runs better, then re-install those apps, only by the order of importance, and probably not all of them.
Old 04-23-17, 01:12 PM   #5899
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:

Backup, factory reset , restore.
Old 04-23-17, 08:04 PM   #5900
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I was really late to update from a flip-phone, and my smartphone (LG) worked great for a few weeks, but all of a sudden streaming services are brutally slow...
Which model LG phone? They have some cheap low-end models that don't have much in terms of storage or memory.