Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-25-16, 10:21 AM   #5676
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 71,332
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

I am in the beta too, so that's how I got it. I don't care about unenrolling. I like being a tester if I get shit faster. So far, I don't notice any differences. I don't multitask, so I don't give a shit about that. But the notifications are so much better now. Such a welcomed addition.
__________________
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 02:52 PM   #5677
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 38,277
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

The more detailed notification is nice but not something I would use much.
I wished that they would make the notification toggles like the note 7. I love being able to see the connected device or wifi info. It also doesn't have sound toggle option.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 03:29 PM   #5678
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,973
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

D.Pham, how do you like your Note7? You've had it for a week, right? I see it on back order in many places, so I guess demand is quite high.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 03:34 PM   #5679
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,297
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

So what is the empty plate Easter egg? I have it set to Donut right now.

Oh, nevermind, goddamn cat
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 04:43 PM   #5680
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 38,277
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
D.Pham, how do you like your Note7? You've had it for a week, right? I see it on back order in many places, so I guess demand is quite high.
I got mine on the 19th. I like it a lot. The blue color is awesome! I like the 64gb base. I had to watch out for storage with the 32gb base on the s7. It's basically a slightly larger s7 edge with a pen. Battery life is around S7 Edge level. I still don't like the curve, but at least the curve on the Note 7 is more subtle than on the S7 Edge. Iris scanner is a hit or miss. The AOD now supports 3rd party apps, and you can double tap the notification to open the app (but it won't expand the notification, like moto active display). you can also control music from the AOD screen.

They did remove action memo functionality from the S-Pen, and on Verizon, they removed the SCloud functionality (though you can use nova launcher or similar to access scloud). i believe s cloud works on all other carriers.

For those interested, the 256gb sd card or gear fit 2 promotion ends august 26th, $20 samsung pay promo ends i believe at the end of the month.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 06:36 PM   #5681
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,973
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Yes the blue model looks amazing, and I can see why it's on back order. I am becoming addicted to the S Pen, so I am stuck with the Samsung Note line.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-16, 07:11 PM   #5682
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Deadpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,977
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post

For those interested, the 256gb sd card or gear fit 2 promotion ends august 26th, $20 samsung pay promo ends i believe at the end of the month.
For Verizon you have until 9/5 for the fit bit/SD card offer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-16, 08:05 AM   #5683
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 38,277
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Note 7 "performance" issues

http://www.xda-developers.com/in-response-to-the-verge-why-we-fretted-about-the-note-7s-performance/


To add some personal input, I have had a HTC 10 and in normal usage it feels more fluid than my Note 7. BUT the stock internet browser app (internet) on the Note 7 is damn well optimized and runs much much better than the stock internet app (chrome) on the HTC 10 on intensive desktop sites. Not only that but I love the look and feel of the Note 7.

With regards to temperature, I was updating a dozen Google Play Store apps while streaming music on gpm and browsing the internet and my phone peaked around 97F, which contrasts with XDA-Developers :

"Not only have we found issues in real-world performance, but some of our writers also came across uncomfortable heat (close to 40 Celsius) while doing mundane tasks such as listening to music or watching YouTube videos on LTE."

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 08-30-16 at 08:12 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 12:24 AM   #5684
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Valley of the Sun (PHX)
Posts: 1,204
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

I'm debating between the note 7 and the 7 edge. I hear it's pretty easy to put music and pics fell
Apple on there. I guess I can put a memory card in both but can't use for apps? Can I use the extra memory for music and pics?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 08:26 AM   #5685
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 6,760
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Decided to switch from Apple for my next phone. Just picked up a Note 5 on eBay.

Could someone suggest a launcher which is as close to Google stock as possible? Been a few years since I've had an Android device.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 09:04 AM   #5686
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 15,289
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Decided to switch from Apple for my next phone. Just picked up a Note 5 on eBay.

Could someone suggest a launcher which is as close to Google stock as possible? Been a few years since I've had an Android device.
The Google Now Launcher is available in the Google Play Store and is what Nexus devices use:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...launcher&hl=en

I also found a guide on how to bring a Note 5 closer to looking like "stock" Android:
http://www.guidingtech.com/51901/uns...-galaxy-note5/
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 09:05 AM   #5687
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 6,760
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Awesome; thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 09:27 AM   #5688
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 38,277
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtsnake View Post
I'm debating between the note 7 and the 7 edge. I hear it's pretty easy to put music and pics fell
Apple on there. I guess I can put a memory card in both but can't use for apps? Can I use the extra memory for music and pics?
Samsung doesn't support adoptable storage so only media can be put on SD card. There is an option to move apps to sd card, but it won't move the whole app to sd card,and this also depends on whether the developer enabled it. The Note 7 has 64gb base model, s7 edge 32gb base. Unless you can get the s7 edge for cheap, I would recommend the note 7 (only the snapdragon model though as the Exynos one has bootlooping and bricking problems. Samsung put a stop sale on the Exynos model but that probably won't stop gray market vendors from selling it). The curve on the note 7 is also more subtle and feels more comfortable. S7 edge is micro usb, note 7 usb c so... If you have a lot of accessories then the s7 edge might be better for now but...future Galaxy phones would use usb c too)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 09:29 AM   #5689
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 38,277
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
The Google Now Launcher is available in the Google Play Store and is what Nexus devices use:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...launcher&hl=en

I also found a guide on how to bring a Note 5 closer to looking like "stock" Android:
http://www.guidingtech.com/51901/uns...-galaxy-note5/
Word of warning.. Package disabler pro is a powerful tool but it can also cause problems if you disable certain packages. Use carefully.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 09:31 AM   #5690
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Valley of the Sun (PHX)
Posts: 1,204
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

yea I see best buy has a few Note 7's in stock and I will grab one today. Will be a change from me from having the iPhone for the last 5-6 years. I cant put apps on the external card but can I put music? if not whats the point of even having the SD card slot?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 02:46 PM   #5691
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 38,277
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtsnake View Post
yea I see best buy has a few Note 7's in stock and I will grab one today. Will be a change from me from having the iPhone for the last 5-6 years. I cant put apps on the external card but can I put music? if not whats the point of even having the SD card slot?
You can put media (music, videos, etc). You can also use it to stores files like a thumb drive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 02:49 PM   #5692
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Valley of the Sun (PHX)
Posts: 1,204
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Ok. I have the note 7 now but it's not letting me add yahoo mail to the mail app. Is it a pop thing? Do i need to add it manually?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 05:33 PM   #5693
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 38,277
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtsnake View Post
Ok. I have the note 7 now but it's not letting me add yahoo mail to the mail app. Is it a pop thing? Do i need to add it manually?
That's weird. I tried to add a yahoo account just now and it added normally with just id and pw.

You can try to add it through the settings - accounts-add account menu
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 06:29 PM   #5694
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Valley of the Sun (PHX)
Posts: 1,204
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

weird. This is what is says:

Unable to set up account

an incorrect username or password. or POP3/IMAP access not turned on for this account.

Now I check on my comp and the password works and its set to "access email from other locations" on my yahoo account. Maybe I could forward everything to my gmail account?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 07:46 PM   #5695
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: dc-md-va
Posts: 953
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtsnake View Post
weird. This is what is says:

Unable to set up account

an incorrect username or password. or POP3/IMAP access not turned on for this account.

Now I check on my comp and the password works and its set to "access email from other locations" on my yahoo account. Maybe I could forward everything to my gmail account?
Did you try adding it to gmail?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-16, 08:56 PM   #5696
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 38,277
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleedlee View Post
Did you try adding it to gmail?
Yes, Gmail can open yahoo email accounts.

He could also try this :

http://pop2imap.com/yahoo_android_phone.php
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-16, 12:45 AM   #5697
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Valley of the Sun (PHX)
Posts: 1,204
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Yes, Gmail can open yahoo email accounts.

He could also try this :

http://pop2imap.com/yahoo_android_phone.php

Its weird. The setup on the note is exactly like the screen shows but it won't do it or it says "not responding, continue and account may not work" and sure enough it failed

HA HA ok so another strange thing happened and maybe its normal for android. I used the Android transfer file to transfer all my songs over and all the sudden I had about 300 pictures of album covers and weird stuff. Is it better to just get an external card and pop it in the mac and transfer that way?

Last edited by Sgtsnake; 09-01-16 at 01:11 AM. Reason: assist
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-16, 08:00 AM   #5698
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 38,277
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Samsung is recalling Note 7 and will replace the battery. I believe that this only affects the Exynos model,as it is only for Korea.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN1161BL?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews+
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-16, 08:02 AM   #5699
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 38,277
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtsnake View Post
Its weird. The setup on the note is exactly like the screen shows but it won't do it or it says "not responding, continue and account may not work" and sure enough it failed

HA HA ok so another strange thing happened and maybe its normal for android. I used the Android transfer file to transfer all my songs over and all the sudden I had about 300 pictures of album covers and weird stuff. Is it better to just get an external card and pop it in the mac and transfer that way?
Hmmm.. Maybe try to do a factory data reset? I had a bug in the software on one of my old phones... Could never get it to work, did a factory data reset and it worked.

As for music, I would try to copy it to the sd card directly to see if it makes a difference.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-16, 09:20 AM   #5700
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,973
Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Samsung is recalling Note 7 and will replace the battery. I believe that this only affects the Exynos model,as it is only for Korea.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...echnologyNews+
Some people have been wishing that US models get the Exynos because it supposedly runs faster than the Qualcomm chip. I wonder if it's a design issue or manufacturing issue. If it's design, the recall can be huge.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0