DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-28-14, 06:03 PM   #4626
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Can someone tell me which is the best app to send text messages by typing on PC keyboard?
Old 01-28-14, 07:27 PM   #4627
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by antspawn View Post
Can someone tell me which is the best app to send text messages by typing on PC keyboard?
do you use chrome? if so, download mighty text app and the extension for chrome. it gives you ability to see pop-ups for your texts and send/receive them from your browser. one of the best apps/extensions for chrome, imho.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 01-28-14, 07:40 PM   #4628
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
do you use chrome? if so, download mighty text app and the extension for chrome. it gives you ability to see pop-ups for your texts and send/receive them from your browser. one of the best apps/extensions for chrome, imho.
No I don't use chrome. I use Firefox.
Old 01-28-14, 07:56 PM   #4629
DVD Talk Legend

Mighty text is great.
Old 01-28-14, 08:43 PM   #4630
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Mighty Text is the biggest thing I miss about not having an Android phone anymore. Fantastic app.
Old 01-28-14, 09:16 PM   #4631
DVD Talk Legend

That appy Might Text does not work for me. The site won't load when logging in...the page just refreshes constantly.
Old 01-29-14, 01:08 PM   #4632
DVD Talk God

you don't run it through the site, though. it is a chrome extension. i think you have to log in once, but then everything syncs. i just checked their site and it works fine.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 01-29-14, 03:32 PM   #4633
DVD Talk God

Reports are that Google might sell Motorola to Lenovo for a huge loss (from what they paid initially). I assume they keep all the patents and such. No confirmation yet, though: http://gizmodo.com/report-google-is-...-fo-1511856567

Old 01-29-14, 04:10 PM   #4634
DVD Talk God

looks like it's official. $2.91 billion and "some" patents. that sucks. i was sort of looking forward to what motorola could do with stock google phones. guess we'll never find out.

Old 01-29-14, 07:13 PM   #4635
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. Seems crazy early to pull the plug. I was thinking of jumping ship soon once I read Samsung was disabling third-party S-view covers for the Note 3.
Old 01-29-14, 07:14 PM   #4636
Time Lord

Google kept a lot of patents, ideas, and people that I'm sure they will use all of those things on Android going forward.
Old 01-29-14, 08:32 PM   #4637
DVD Talk Godfather

I never had the chance to use any of the Motorola phones the last few years, since they seemed to keep their high end phones to Verizon. So not really much of a big deal to me, although i'm surprised Google didn't do more with them even though the patents seemed to be what they had always wanted.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 02-07-14, 07:55 AM   #4638
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone gotten upgraded to Kit Kat yet? My One just upgraded and something strange happened. The Phone app on my dock and lock screen got replaced. It's now just an Android logo which says App Not Installed when I press on it. I had to delete it off the dock and re-place the Phone app from the main list. I still have the bad app on the lock screen. Did this happen to anyone else?
Old 02-07-14, 08:40 AM   #4639
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Has anyone gotten upgraded to Kit Kat yet? My One just upgraded and something strange happened. The Phone app on my dock and lock screen got replaced. It's now just an Android logo which says App Not Installed when I press on it. I had to delete it off the dock and re-place the Phone app from the main list. I still have the bad app on the lock screen. Did this happen to anyone else?
i think this may be due to the increased integration with google now. go into your main settings and check the lock screen settings.

Old 02-24-14, 01:10 PM   #4640
DVD Talk Hero

S5 officially announced

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...ally-announced
Old 02-24-14, 02:57 PM   #4641
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/24/s...xy-s5-preview/

Some tidbits from Engadget.

Quote:
Despite its familiar design, the GS5 has a few new useful hardware features, including a fingerprint scanner, heart rate sensor, and a toned-down TouchWiz UI on top of Android 4.4 KitKat.
Quote:
The new Galaxy retains the same 1080p Super AMOLED panel as the GS4; it's just slightly larger, at 5.1 inches. With this in mind, it shouldn't come as a surprise that the viewing experience is pretty much the same as its predecessor. Additionally, the GS5 comes with a swappable back cover, microSD slot and removable 2,800mAh battery, which has a higher capacity than last year's model. It's also IP67-certified, which adds an element of water and dust resistance never before enjoyed by Galaxy S users (unless you count the GS4 Active, that is). As a result, the micro-USB 3.0 port at the bottom is protected by a tab that keeps water from getting inside.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 02-24-14, 03:55 PM   #4642
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I believe the waterproof thing, or at least I want to, but how will it work if the headphone jack isn't sealed?
Old 02-24-14, 04:02 PM   #4643
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevevt View Post
I believe the waterproof thing, or at least I want to, but how will it work if the headphone jack isn't sealed?
It's water resistant, not waterproof. The Galaxy S4 Active had similar dust/water resistance:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/28/s...active-review/
Quote:
You'll find the micro-USB port on the bottom edge of the phone, and it's covered with a rubber flap... Up top, there's a water-resistant headphone socket... Samsung very specifically states that it's water-resistant for up to 30 minutes at a depth of one meter or less.
Old 02-24-14, 06:22 PM   #4644
DVD Talk God

the one cool feature is the download boost. uses both wifi and lte to "boost" download speeds. that's a cool feature. the water resistance is also not bad. other than that, meh.

i'll wait to see if we get any sort of verizon nexus this year. there have been rumors that google is working directly with verizon on something. we shall see.

Old 02-25-14, 12:49 AM   #4645
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
the one cool feature is the download boost. uses both wifi and lte to "boost" download speeds. that's a cool feature. the water resistance is also not bad. other than that, meh.

i'll wait to see if we get any sort of verizon nexus this year. there have been rumors that google is working directly with verizon on something. we shall see.
Verizon is officially selling the nexus 7 now

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Old 02-25-14, 08:55 AM   #4646
DVD Talk God

i don't need a tablet. and the rumors that it was going to be a phone.

Old 02-25-14, 10:40 AM   #4647
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
It's water resistant, not waterproof. The Galaxy S4 Active had similar dust/water resistance:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/28/s...active-review/
Right. The idea that you can submerge it underwater at all is what I'm questioning, if the headphone jack really isn't covered.
Old 02-25-14, 11:26 PM   #4648
DVD Talk Limited Edition

KitKat arrived on my S4 yesterday morning. I fucking hate it. It added one little tiny thing that improved my phone and completely screwed up soooo many other things. The inability to hide apps in the app drawer really REALLY blows.
Old 03-05-14, 10:51 AM   #4649
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hopefully someone can help answer this. I hooked my S4 up to my computer to delete some files off of my SD card but keep getting a "You do not have permission to delete this item" error box. Any idea what is causing this or what setting I might need to enable or disable?
Old 03-07-14, 09:09 PM   #4650
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like the att s5 will support lte-a with ca