DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-20-12, 08:58 AM   #3426
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

For those with the Razr maxx and perhaps similar phones, if you want to disable the snapshot sound, you can use this app

https://sites.google.com/site/enforcedstreamsilencer/
Old 09-20-12, 11:05 AM   #3427
DVD Talk God

Apparently Apple's new maps is horrible: http://gizmodo.com/5944897/17-people...orribly-misled

John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 09-20-12, 11:21 AM   #3428
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

To be fair, it will get better. It has to.
But yeah... the sooner Google puts out a standalone Maps app for iOS6, the better.
Old 09-20-12, 12:26 PM   #3429
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Apparently Apple's new maps is horrible: http://gizmodo.com/5944897/17-people...orribly-misled

Yeah, it's pretty bad. It would suck to have to rely on it right now for directions.

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 09-20-12, 09:35 PM   #3430
DVD Talk Hero

Fairly substantial Facebook update, much better imo.
Old 09-21-12, 07:59 AM   #3431
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Yeah, it's pretty bad. It would suck to have to rely on it right now for directions.

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 09-22-12, 05:39 AM   #3432
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally. The Verizon Galaxy Nexus is getting a Jelly Bean update. It is not available to download on mine yet, but I hope soon.

Announcement

Quote:
The Galaxy Nexus by Samsung is the first smartphone on the Verizon Wireless network to be upgraded to the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean operating system (OS). For a limited time, the software upgrade will be pushed out in phases over Wi-Fi only.

Customers can check if the software is available for their device by going to Settings > About Phone > System Updates. If the upgrade is available, a notification will be displayed and customers will need to connect to a Wi-Fi network to complete the download.

Jelly Bean is the newest Android OS and offers advanced functionality and new features like Google Now that feeds relevant information to a device based on time and location. With Google Now, a person standing on a train platform may receive information about when a specific train is arriving and if there are delays.

Jelly Bean's smarter keyword feature makes text messaging faster by predicting the next word in a sentence, and improved speech-to-text technology and voice technology continues to work even if a data connection is interrupted.

The interface on Jelly Bean is also the most responsive Android OS to date. Customers can interact with messages, photos, emails and event details from the notification screen, allowing them to directly access important information without navigating their phone.

Additional information on the Jelly Bean upgrade can be found on the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung support page.
Old 09-22-12, 11:53 AM   #3433
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroiinu View Post
Finally. The Verizon Galaxy Nexus is getting a Jelly Bean update. It is not available to download on mine yet, but I hope soon.

Announcement
Still not available on mine either. I'm waiting impatiently. I hope to have it this weekend, anyhow.
Old 09-23-12, 11:58 AM   #3434
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still no Jelly Bean. Just very unhappy with Verizon.
Old 09-23-12, 12:10 PM   #3435
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Still no Jelly Bean. Just very unhappy with Verizon.
Me either. And me too.
Old 09-23-12, 12:27 PM   #3436
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here are 2 publications from Verizon on the upgrade:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/p...structions.pdf

http://support.verizonwireless.com/p...laxy_nexus.pdf

No date. They tell you to wait for notification. Considering how Apple can roll out iOS 6 in one day, this is crazy because I can't imagine Verizon has such a large number of Galaxy Nexus users. I will not go back to them when my contract expires.
Old 09-24-12, 08:08 AM   #3437
DVD Talk Legend

Just wanted to say this.

After using the Nexus 7 for a few months, I think iOS and Android are almost at the same level, some would prefer one more than the other, but basically everyone should be fine with any of the two.

But, the BACK button is magic! I really miss it when I'm using my iPhone. I'm sure Steve Jobs wished he had created something like in iOS. When you are in a touch device, specially in one smaller like a phone, it really becomes a PITA trying to find the way to go back. Or at least that seems to me now that I'm too used to the back button.
Old 09-24-12, 08:13 AM   #3438
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
But, the BACK button is magic! I really miss it when I'm using my iPhone. I'm sure Steve Jobs wished he had created something like in iOS. When you are in a touch device, specially in one smaller like a phone, it really becomes a PITA trying to find the way to go back. Or at least that seems to me now that I'm too used to the back button.
I'm an Android user and this is exactly how I feel when I use my wife's iPhone or iPad. I'm constantly wishing for the back button. Android definitely has plenty of flaws, but the back button implementation is a really killer feature and a big reason I can't see myself switching to iOS.
Old 09-24-12, 08:36 AM   #3439
DVD Talk Hero

I agree. I read a review where somebody bashed Android because the back button was unnecessary, I laughed at that.

The only real differences between Jelly Bean and iOS 5 have to do with their respective markets.
Old 09-24-12, 09:32 AM   #3440
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I agree. I read a review where somebody bashed Android because the back button was unnecessary, I laughed at that.

The only real differences between Jelly Bean and iOS 5 have to do with their respective markets.
Just as important, IMO, are the differences in approaches to multitasking. Still not a fan of Android's approach. It is better with ICS, but still not as good as iOS. Obviously those who prefer a full pre-emptive, multithreaded, multitasking model will disagree.
Old 09-24-12, 09:35 AM   #3441
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't had a problem with the multitasking in ICS/Jelly Bean, mostly because it's so much easier to kill tasks now without using a third party product. There are individual applications that have given me pause (Slacker specifically) but mostly minor things. It tends to work the way I would want something to work by just working.

However I do agree they need to refine it to increase battery life in stand-by.
Old 09-24-12, 10:26 AM   #3442
Time Lord

While the back button is very useful, it's also wholly inconsistent. Will it take you the previous page you were on, or an upper layer in the app you're in? Will it take you to the home page or an app you used hours ago? It needs to be applied consistently.
Old 09-24-12, 10:44 AM   #3443
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone with a GS3 get the JB update yet? I'm (im)patiently waiting.
Old 09-24-12, 10:56 AM   #3444
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Anyone with a GS3 get the JB update yet? I'm (im)patiently waiting.
They said Oct, but in Europe first: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...ngs-galaxy-s3/

I have a Galaxy Nexus which is getting a JB upgrade, but the roll-out from Verizon is painfully slow. They are doing it in batches, and mine hasn't come up yet.
Old 09-24-12, 11:38 AM   #3445
DVD Talk Legend

So what is up with the new Nexus phones? I have been holding out on upgrading (still have the Epic 4G), but I haven't heard much other than some leaked specs. I thought we were supposed to be getting multiple manufacturers with them, but I'm not seeing much.
Old 09-24-12, 11:44 AM   #3446
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

Ios 5 does not have navigation built in. Ios 6 does, but according to some posts above, needs a little work.
Old 09-24-12, 11:46 AM   #3447
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
They said Oct, but in Europe first: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...ngs-galaxy-s3/

I have a Galaxy Nexus which is getting a JB upgrade, but the roll-out from Verizon is painfully slow. They are doing it in batches, and mine hasn't come up yet.
I would not hold my breath for a verizon gs3 update in October, unless you meant 2013...
Old 09-24-12, 12:18 PM   #3448
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
Ios 5 does not have navigation built in. Ios 6 does, but according to some posts above, needs a little work.
I meant to write iPhone 5. Oh well.
Old 09-24-12, 01:51 PM   #3449
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I meant to write iPhone 5. Oh well.
in addition to the back button, afaik, the iPhone 5 does not have widgets, allow sideloading, allow alternate keyboard, and flash like android.

i'm assuming that iPhone hasn't incorporated removable battery or storage either.

Not saying that the iPhone doesn't have it's perks, but widgets, side loading, alternate keyboard, and flash are somethings that i use quite often on my non-rooted android phones.

yes, i know flash is being phased out on android, but for now, it still works.

i guess "real differences" depends on who you ask and what is important to them. perhaps to you, the differences aren't substantial, but for me, they are.
Old 09-24-12, 02:13 PM   #3450
DVD Talk Hero

It was a comment on performance and things they can operate, functionally they're very similar now. Yes you can do a lot more customizing with Android (widgets, sideloading, flash, microsd), and yes the iPhone is idiot proof. Getting down to the nitty gritty though, they're very similar.

I have no intentions of leaving Android anytime soon, I find iOS to be tremendously boring, but from straight up functionality point of view, you aren't truly crippled on either platform -- unless you need directions or NFC.