DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-24-12, 06:46 PM   #3376
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

And here's the worst part: Apple may request a ban on the sale of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy SIII models because of today's jury verdict. Talk about being a gigantic killjoy against Android sales!

I reject your reality and substitute my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Old 08-24-12, 07:45 PM   #3377
DVD Talk God

i don't think they can request a ban on the GS3 since that wasn't a part of the trial.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 08-24-12, 08:12 PM   #3378
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess we won't be seeing an end to all the patent trials then. This is just going to spur on more of these cases (as if there wasn't enough already).

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 08-24-12, 08:16 PM   #3379
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I guess we won't be seeing an end to all the patent trials then. This is just going to spur on more of these cases (as if there wasn't enough already).
the upside for android fans is that Motorola apparently has a really, really strong case (according to some accounts I've read) against Apple in their case and Google apparently will be given the patent for the notification bar at some point in the future. I'm guessing those will knock Apple back down a bit.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 08-24-12, 08:49 PM   #3380
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
the upside for android fans is that Motorola apparently has a really, really strong case (according to some accounts I've read) against Apple in their case and Google apparently will be given the patent for the notification bar at some point in the future. I'm guessing those will knock Apple back down a bit.
Here's hoping

Old 08-24-12, 09:59 PM   #3381
DVD Talk Hero

Alright I'm all sorts of Pro Android, but a few thoughts. First, I haven't read the full verdict so I'm not sure what they've been caught infringing on so I may be off here but this is more of a Samsung issue than an Apple one.

Samsung goes out of their way to duplicate the look and feel of iOS. This is a shame because they do so by making what's reasonably elegent (though incredibly bland) on the iPhone and turn it into an ugly eyesore. TouchWiz is clunky, ugly, and slow. Samsung's half-assed attempt at added value software, such as S Voice, is a complete joke (Google Now and Voice Search are vastly superior, plus S Voice with the "Hello Galaxy" is a ridiculous battery drain) and the Galaxy S II does look an awful lot like an iPhone, the S III not so much but it's fairly ugly to begin with.

Basically, I think they brought this upon themselves by basically creating a Chinese Knock-off (tm) (yeah yeah they're Korean) of iOS as much as possible. I don't think this will effect the Galaxy Nexus now that the software has been patched, but again I'm not sure.

What it comes down to for me is Samsung takes the freedom that comes with Android and makes it look like a cheap knock off of an inferior product. Not sure how that works but they've done it, and they'll continue shooting themselves in the foot until they stop and overhaul what they have.

I hate that Apple won this, and software design patents are largely bullshit, plus you'd have to be a total idiot to confuse Android anything for iOS, but frankly Samsung had this coming. They have Steve Kondik on staff, they need to use him. These guys have one of the most powerful mobile processors in a solid phone with 2gb of RAM and their shitty Launcher somehow manages to suffocate it.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-24-12 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-25-12, 10:55 PM   #3382
Time Lord

I noticed the Nexus S 4G (but not the Nexus S) was listed as a phone in violation. What about that phone, but not the regular Nexus S (or the Galaxy Nexus) could be in violation?
Old 08-28-12, 03:18 PM   #3383
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I hate that Apple won this, and software design patents are largely bullshit, plus you'd have to be a total idiot to confuse Android anything for iOS, but frankly Samsung had this coming.
Yep.
Old 09-01-12, 05:25 PM   #3384
DVD Talk Hero

At least for Samsung, there is good news coming from Asia.

Quote:
Japan court rejects Apple patent claims against Samsung
AFP Relax News – Fri, Aug 31, 2012

A Japanese court Friday rejected Apple's claim that Samsung stole its technology, dealing a blow to the iPhone maker after last week winning $1.05 billion in damages in the US from its bitter rival.

The ruling by the Tokyo District Court is the latest chapter in a long-running global patent war between the smartphone giants who have accused each other of stealing intellectual property for their own products.

The Japanese court found that Samsung did not infringe on Apple's iPhone and iPad patents for some of its own Galaxy smartphones and tablet computer. The three-judge panel also awarded legal costs to Samsung.

"The defendant's products do not seem like they used the same technology as the plaintiff's products so we turn down the complaints made by (Apple)," Judge Tamotsu Shoji told the court.

Apple had sought damages and the block of sales of its some of Samsung's products in the lucrative Japanese market.

But as well as dealing a blow to the US firm, the ruling will help Samsung pick itself up after the defeat in the United States, analysts said.

Samsung shares closed 1.48 percent higher in Seoul on Friday.

"Investors were encouraged by the ruling in Tokyo... it eased concern over Samsung's future which had been raised by the defeat in the US court battle," said Seo Won-Seok, analyst at Korea Investment Securities.

Samsung, which has steadfastly denied its rival's claims in a string of similar cases filed across the globe, hailed the Tokyo court's ruling.

"We welcome the court's decision, which confirmed our long-held position that our products do not infringe Apple's intellectual property," it said in a statement.

A Japan-based spokesman for Apple, which can appeal the verdict, declined to comment.

Last week the iPhone maker won $1.05 billion in a massive US court victory over Samsung with jurors finding that the South Korean firm had "willfully" infringed on Apple's patents.

The Japanese case, which focused on Apple's claim that Samsung stole technology used to transfer music and video files, sought a comparatively small amount -- 100 million yen ($1.27 million) -- in damages.

Both firms' gadgets are increasingly popular in the the Japanese market which was previously monopolised by domestic giants such as Sony and Sharp.

"It was a ruling on just one technology so it is difficult to draw any conclusion on its overall impact," said Michiru Takahashi, a patent lawyer at Jones Day in Tokyo.

"But... if Samsung had lost again it would have considerably hurt its image."

The high-profile verdict in the United States last week regarded patents on a range of Samsung products including some of its popular smartphones and its Galaxy 10 tablet.

Jurors rejected the South Korean electronics firm's patent theft counterclaims against Apple.

Also last week, a court in Seoul ruled the pair had swiped each other's technology and awarded damages to both sides.

The Seoul Central District Court said Apple breached two of Samsung's technology patents, and ordered it to pay 40 million won ($35,000) in damages.

It also ordered Samsung to pay 25 million won for violating one of Apple's patents. Each company had sought damages of 100 million won from the other.

The South Korean court said there was "no possibility" that consumers would confuse Samsung and Apple smartphones -- a key issue in the US trial -- and that Samsung's smartphone icons do not infringe Apple's patents.

But it said Samsung infringed Apple's patent for bounce-back technology, a widely copied spring-back action when users reach the edge of a document.

The court imposed a partial ban on both firms' product sales.

The patent cases come as Apple loses ground to rivals including Samsung that use the Android operating system developed by Google.

Samsung shipped 50.2 million smartphones globally between April and June, while Apple sold 26 million iPhones, according to research firm IDC.

The Asian firm held 32.6 percent of the market compared to 16.9 percent for Apple, while the US company holds about a 70 percent market share for tablets.

http://news.yahoo.com/japan-court-re...28.html?_esi=1
Old 09-02-12, 02:35 PM   #3385

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds6161 View Post
Sorry to go off topic & kinda old school,
I have a Nexus One and I'm having full internal memory issues. I have moved everything I can to SD.
help!!!! I decided to go ahead and root. But all weekend I've run into one problem after another.
installed Java sdk between android central and xda forums it talks about putting stuff in the platform-tools folder, but when it installed for me I have a platform folder and a tools folder so I put everything in the tools folder.

I've booted my phone to the fastboot screen with 3 skating androids
In the cmd window I type in the "fastboot oem unlock" and it says waiting for device. the phone is doing nothing.

I tried the superoneclick method but during the install I get a error requiering net 2.0 or better I follow lick to ver 3.5 do download run install and get a windows error.

Now I'm fairly good with windows and remember some basic dos commands but I'm lost.....

ps Nexus one 2.3.6 GRK39F
Windows xp all up to date with updates.
Old 09-02-12, 08:11 PM   #3386
DVD Talk Hero

on my droid razr maxx, when i output to my 1920x1080 monitor, it only lets me view it as 1680x1050. no option for optimal resolution. i am using a hdmi to dvi connector, if that makes any difference.
Old 09-03-12, 05:01 PM   #3387
DVD Talk Hero

for those on VM, supposedly, you can switch back to the $25 grandfathered plan

http://slickdeals.net/f/5141374-Virg...dfathered-plan
Old 09-05-12, 01:54 PM   #3388
DVD Talk Godfather

Razr HD, Razr Maxx HD, and Razr M 4G LTE announced today from Motorola.

Old 09-05-12, 01:55 PM   #3389
DVD Talk Hero

Wonder if I can trade up to a Razr Maxx HD
Old 09-05-12, 05:17 PM   #3390
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Wonder if I can trade up to a Razr Maxx HD
From a razr maxx to a razr maxx hd? Let me know how it goes. I would love to work that route. Heck, I would even be willing to swap the gs3 for the razr hd maxx
Old 09-05-12, 11:12 PM   #3391
Time Lord

Why are they even offering a new Razr HD? Why would anyone buy the phone with so much less battery life?

Edit: And more onboard storage!
Old 09-06-12, 07:50 AM   #3392
DVD Talk Hero

E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Why are they even offering a new Razr HD? Why would anyone buy the phone with so much less battery life?

Edit: And more onboard storage!
Probably to fill the gap between the razr m and razr maxx hd. The m will be $100 so maxx hd may be $300,leaving hd at $200
Old 09-07-12, 01:58 PM   #3393
DVD Talk Hero

Old 09-07-12, 02:04 PM   #3394
DVD Talk God

that actually looks pretty damn good

Old 09-07-12, 05:20 PM   #3395
DVD Talk God

anyone have a kindle fire that they've thrown Jelly Bean on yet? I did, but it's not terrible stable (at least the ROM I was using). I kept getting that process.android.phone error and it wouldn't go away. I am going to flash back to a CM9 rom to see if I can get rid of it.

Old 09-07-12, 05:38 PM   #3396
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
anyone have a kindle fire that they've thrown Jelly Bean on yet? I did, but it's not terrible stable (at least the ROM I was using). I kept getting that process.android.phone error and it wouldn't go away. I am going to flash back to a CM9 rom to see if I can get rid of it.
I have. The few ROMs that I tried (xda-developer forum) ran ok... about the same as the CM9-based ROMs. I ended up going back to an ICS-themed CM7 ROM that has been absolutely flawless.
Old 09-07-12, 06:49 PM   #3397
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I have. The few ROMs that I tried (xda-developer forum) ran ok... about the same as the CM9-based ROMs. I ended up going back to an ICS-themed CM7 ROM that has been absolutely flawless.
I just went to Glazed ICS (CM9). Works fantastic. Much faster and the screen also seems more responsive.

Old 09-08-12, 11:16 AM   #3398
DVD Talk God

Quote:
I just went to Glazed ICS (CM9). Works fantastic. Much faster and the screen also seems more responsive.
So far, I'm really like this Rom. One thing that's taking a little to get used to is that the notification/settings bar is on the bottom. The battery also seems to drain a little quicker in standby mode. But it's a far more functional tablet now than before.

Old 09-08-12, 11:39 AM   #3399
DVD Talk Hero

Intuition with a 5" xga is out... Probably too wide to hold one hand.
Old 09-08-12, 03:47 PM   #3400
DVD Talk God

one unintended, yet completely awesome byproduct of flashing a new rom to the kindle fire was now it'll connect to Foxfi from my phone! it wouldn't do that before when it was running a variant of Amazon's android OS.