Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-12-09, 05:56 PM   #1
Dragon Fly
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

My PC is having issues, help!

So I noticed it about a week ago, or so. Our PC has slowly, but surely, been crawling on the internet in a progressively worse kind of way. Sometimes websites won't load at all and even my outlook won't access email. Today we couldn't get a single website to load (NOT EVEN DVDTALK! :-O) and I couldn't check email.

I've done an adaware spyware sweep, 2 different virus sweeps (McAfee & AVG), 2 system restores (Dating back as far as 3 weeks ago), cleared out HD space (i have about 50 gb free), defragged the hard drive, and updated the driver for my Network Adapter (nothing new to update). Nothing worked! Occasionally we see a message pop up that the local network was disconnected. I checked the modem connection and router via my laptop and there were no issues with connection or speed.

Could there be a problem with my computer's hardware? Maybe something somewhere with the software I haven't checked?

I'm using XP, Firefox 3.0.14 (IE7, doesn't work either).

Help! Please!

Last edited by Dragon Fly; 09-12-09 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-12-09, 07:38 PM   #2
big e
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: My PC is having issues, help!

It sounds like you might have a bad network card or messed up network settings, although the only way I would know for sure is if I was physically at your PC. Does the PC run normally when it's not connected to the internet?
Old 09-12-09, 07:42 PM   #3
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Run a repair.

You don't mention the OS So I'll assume it's XP SP2 or later.

Disable active anti virus scanning first, right click over the icon down by the clock in the lower right of the desktop and choose to disable the anti virus..

Go to start>run, clear out anything in the text box, type 'cmd' (no quotes) and click 'ok'. This will open DOS, or the command line.

Type 'sfc /scannow' (with no quotes) this command runs the most complete check and repair of IE and windows possible, including all internet and network related stuff, and does a protected file scan for corruption or malfeasance.

If it prompts you for the windows XP CD, you have significant OS corruption, insert the CD and repair.

Reboot.

Then run a complete reset of all tcp/ip and socket management on the OS.

Go to start>run, 'cmd' should still be in the text box, if not type it again, click 'ok' This will again open DOS, I mean the 'command line'.

Type:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt (enter)
netsh winsock reset (enter)

the first command if entered correctly gives NO feedback it simply moves to a new line. Then type the second line.
the 'winsock' command, if entered correctly, will tell you to reboot. Do so.

Test browsing.
Report back.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 09-12-09, 07:56 PM   #4
Dragon Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by big e View Post
It sounds like you might have a bad network card or messed up network settings, although the only way I would know for sure is if I was physically at your PC. Does the PC run normally when it's not connected to the internet?
Yeah, I was thinking that same thing. The computer is about 4 years old, so maybe something is up with the card. It's perfectly fine otherwise. Not slow at all. (though the occasional blue screen pops up now and then)
Old 09-12-09, 08:26 PM   #5
Dragon Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Report back.
Reporting back! I did both of those. I was not prompted for the XP CD after the scan and I did the reset of winsoc successful, but there's really no improvement. Sites are still taking forever to come up and some won't even load.

I appreciate the help guys!
Old 09-12-09, 08:47 PM   #6
fuzzbox
DVD Talk Special Edition

have you tried changing the DNS servers to another one, maybe open dns?

-jason
Old 09-12-09, 09:12 PM   #7
sniper308
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzbox View Post
have you tried changing the DNS servers to another one, maybe open dns?

-jason
Wouldn't think he'd need to do that if the laptop seems to work fine.

I'd suspect a bad NIC... or bad cable. Did you use the same cable, and port on the router that the desktop is connected with to test the laptop?
Old 09-13-09, 03:37 AM   #8
Dragon Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper308 View Post
Wouldn't think he'd need to do that if the laptop seems to work fine.

I'd suspect a bad NIC... or bad cable. Did you use the same cable, and port on the router that the desktop is connected with to test the laptop?
I tried the same cable on my laptop and it was fine. I also used a different cable/port for the PC and still had the same issues. Could a faulty network card really work intermittently, or slowly, such as it seems to be doing now?
Old 09-13-09, 04:05 PM   #9
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Fly View Post
I tried the same cable on my laptop and it was fine. I also used a different cable/port for the PC and still had the same issues. Could a faulty network card really work intermittently, or slowly, such as it seems to be doing now?
What browser?

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 09-13-09, 05:46 PM   #10
Dragon Fly

Quote:
What browser?
The issues are occurring with both Firefox (latest version) and IE (7). It's very strange. This morning nothing would load. At all. My wife couldn't get any websites to come up either. A 170mb file download was also taking 7 hours. Now the PC has decided to let me surf, load sites, check email, etc. like it used to. I anticipate that flaking out though, since that's been the way it has seemed to go lately.
Old 09-13-09, 05:49 PM   #11
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Fly View Post
The issues are occurring with both Firefox (latest version) and IE (7). It's very strange. This morning nothing would load. At all. My wife couldn't get any websites to come up either. A 170mb file download was also taking 7 hours. Now the PC has decided to let me surf, load sites, check email, etc. like it used to. I anticipate that flaking out though, since that's been the way it has seemed to go lately.
So it comes and goes...

Wow that's gonna be tricky to troubleshoot over the net.

You could post a hijack log, several here are handy at checking those.

Does the computer itself ever slow down or is it only connectivity?

Old 09-13-09, 06:25 PM   #12
Dragon Fly

Quote:
So it comes and goes...

Wow that's gonna be tricky to troubleshoot over the net.

You could post a hijack log, several here are handy at checking those.

Does the computer itself ever slow down or is it only connectivity?
It's mostly been gone. This is the first time in days where it's been easily usable. It's never the computer itself, just the connectivity.
Old 09-13-09, 10:28 PM   #13
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't leave a virus scan up to McAfee and AVG. Download Superantispyware and see what that comes up with.

http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE
Old 09-14-09, 12:00 AM   #14
Dragon Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
I wouldn't leave a virus scan up to McAfee and AVG. Download Superantispyware and see what that comes up with.

http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE
Seems to be a very good suggestion. Turned up some stuff the other 2 virus scans and spyware scans did not. We'll see if that works! Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Keep those fingers crossed for me!

EDIT: Okay, still having the same issues. :-\ time for a new network card I think!

Last edited by Dragon Fly; 09-14-09 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-14-09, 11:04 AM   #15
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

If all 3 found malware, you may want to keep checking with other anti-malware programs to see if those programs got them all:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware FREE
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

BitDefender FREE
http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-1...e-Edition.html

a-squared FREE
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

Dr. Web CureIt
http://www.freedrweb.com/

ThreatFire
http://www.threatfire.com/

You may also want to re-run a scan after it's cleaned once. Sometimes, malware will manage to re-install itself after being "cleaned." Ideally, running a malware scan from a boot CD, or by plugging the affected drive as an external or slave into another PC to be scanned is best, as that way the malware won't be running at the time of the scan and thus can't protect/re-install itself.

Also, System Restores sometimes restore malware, if the malware had already infected the PC at the time of the backup.

A boot CD is also possibly a good way to test if it's the OS or the hardware that's the issue. You can download and burn a boot CD for a linux distribution like Linux Mint and boot your PC from it. If the boot CD is able to access and browse the net fine, it's likely an OS issue. If not, then it's hardware.

Last edited by Jay G.; 09-14-09 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-19-09, 06:04 PM   #16
Dragon Fly

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to pass along thanks for all the suggestions. I don't want to jump the gun, but I do believe I resolved the issue. Seems to be that the problem was the router itself. Though the router was working for the 360, PS3, and laptop, it eventually stopped working for the laptop as well. Funny thing was when I turned on the 360, the entire router sprang back to life until I shut it off. I ended up getting a new router and so far it all seems to be good! :-D yay for internets!