Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-22-09, 09:33 AM   #1
ANDREMIKE
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

itunes question? M4a vs M4P

some of the music files in my itunes library are M4A vs M4P. Why is that? The M4A files will play on my new Samsung Eternityt phone but the M4P will not. The itunes M4A fles also show the cover art on my phone... Which I like.

Is it possible to convert them in itunes? or another program?
Old 02-22-09, 10:41 AM   #2
GHackmann

Re: itunes question? M4a vs M4P

M4P files are DRM-protected songs that you bought from the iTunes Store. M4A songs are DRM-free.

You can probably "upgrade" most of your M4P songs to iTunes Plus versions (which are DRM-free and higher bitrate) at the iTunes store. The upgraded versions ought to play on your phone.
Old 02-23-09, 08:48 AM   #3
ANDREMIKE
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Some of the M4A songs that I have were bought from Itunes. Why are some songs on itunes M4A vs M4P?

I'll have to see if itunes can convert them to M4A's..
Old 02-23-09, 10:48 AM   #4
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE View Post
Some of the M4A songs that I have were bought from Itunes. Why are some songs on itunes M4A vs M4P?
When the iTunes Store started, all their music was M4P. A little over a year ago, iTunes introduced what they call "iTunes Plus" tracks, which are of a higher bitrate (256kbps vs 128kbps) and DRM-free (M4A vs M4P). These were originally sold at a premium ($1.39 instead of $0.99), but eventually the price dropped to the same as other tracks. Originally, Apple only was able to get record company to license iTunes Plus tracks, but recently Apple successfully negotiated with the other major labels to convert their catalogs to iTunes Plus. However, the conversion process is going to take a while, so some major label stuff may still not be iTunes Plus, and minor labels may not have renegotiated with Apple yet.

Apple is allowing people to "upgrade" previously bought M4P tracks to iTunes Plus tracks if available. The upgrade fee is $0.30 per track. The upgrade process doesn't convert the existing M4P file, but instead downloads a new M4A file.

Note that the free download of the week is always a M4P file, even if the album it's from is iTunes Plus. Also, free tracks are not eligible for upgrading.