Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-16-09, 10:19 AM   #1
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ipod & itunes primer?

My wife got an ipod for Christmas, and it has apparently changed her life so much that she insists I get one too.

In the past I have just done mp3s onto my phone or cheap player.

So as of right now, my knowledge is basically taking songs and transferring to her ipod. Is there some layer of complexity or something useful that I am missing on itunes? I assume syncing is for like podcasts, as syncing the same songs repeatedly doesn't seem useful.

I assume the 2 ipods will have "names" so using the same itunes on the PC will be possible.

There are things I have tried to do, but don't come out right. An example, I took the mp3 soundtrack of Black Snake Moan" and added the folder to itunes. Now it shows as like 15 different albums with one track each. Is there a way within the program to "tell" itunes that it is all the same?

I feel so behind the curve on this. Thanks.
Old 02-16-09, 12:46 PM   #2
joeblow69
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: ipod & itunes primer?

Well, it depends on what size your ipod is, and how big your music collection is. By default, the iPod will copy ALL mp3s in itunes to your iPod (assuming it fits). If it all doesn't fit, I think it will automatically create a master playlist for your ipod (named something like Jon's iPod) and then you have to manually copy the songs you want to that playlist. I'm not sure how that exactly works, its been a while since I've had an ipod that small.

but your other problem is an easy one. You need to find each of those 15 songs in iTunes, and right click on them, then choose "Get Info". Somewhere in this interface, there is a checkbox option for "This song is part of a compilation". Check that, and it should group all those songs together.
Old 02-16-09, 02:12 PM   #3
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks. I figured it would be something easy, but I needed to know where to look.
Old 02-16-09, 02:59 PM   #4
joeblow69
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think there might be something in iTunes preferences you'll need to change too ... look for something like "Group Compilations together" or something like that.
Old 02-16-09, 03:13 PM   #5
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I think there might be something in iTunes preferences you'll need to change too ... look for something like "Group Compilations together" or something like that.
Yep. Preferences -> Advanced Tab -> Group Compilations Check Box

Now Playing
Infamous: SS | Almost Finished Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Old 02-16-09, 05:42 PM   #6
Numanoid
DVD Talk Hero

Syncing has nothing to do with podcasts. You are syncing the iPod with iTunes, so that the content of each matches the other. If you haven't made any changes to either since the last sync, the sync itself won't take long at all. It only updates the changed files.
Old 02-16-09, 09:14 PM   #7
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, I figured if you didn't change your music list, the only thing new would be a podcast, and hence the need to synch.

What about Genius. Is it any good? If I enable Genius, would itunes think my wife likes the same music as me, or does that remain individual to the ipod as well?

Or figuring out what a Band/Album need to be called to find artwork? For exampleI have a bunch of Ac/Dc that itunes doen't find the art for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Yep. Preferences -> Advanced Tab -> Group Compilations Check Box
It was already checked, but the tracks were not. Thanks!

Last edited by jonw9; 02-16-09 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-17-09, 08:49 PM   #8
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I ended up going with a 16 GB touch.

A couple more questions to the above ones.

So, I did as suggested above, and itune put on a random 14.xx GB of music onto my ipod. Is there a way to flag a song for deletion (from the playlist) from the ipod itself?

Second, and I don't thing is controversial here, but jailbreaking. Is there any benefit to doing this? I do not intend on looking for cracked app, but I don't know if other benefits are there. Tat is besides changing around the "home" screen. Also, I have had the thing for 24 hours now, and don't want a $300 brick.
Old 02-17-09, 09:09 PM   #9
butterbean
Suspended

you have to sync your touch to the computer and delete songs off the touch from itunes. I loved the touch (now have iphone) and you can do email, safari, aps as well...pretty cool. Some people love jailbreaking as they can put all kinds of different apps and run it on a different network. I personally like the way mine runs now
Old 02-18-09, 10:12 AM   #10
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cool thanks.

I was hoping to be able to flag a song for removal when it comes up on the ipod.

As for the jailbreak, the only possible thing I would do is change some of home page appearances.