Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-24-08, 08:04 AM   #1
jonnyquest

Internet logging software ?

Is there software that makes a log of internet traffic? Sometimes when I first start my computer (I normally shut it down every night), my modem lights start flashing, indicating some internet communication is happening, before I even start my browser. Usually lasts for maybe 30 seconds or less. So, is there a way to find out what this communication is, what site is being contacted, to be sure it's not something nefarious going on? I suspect it is likely some automatic update feature of a software application, but I would like to know that for sure.
Old 05-24-08, 08:47 AM   #2
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

you can get a router to put between your PC and modem and that will have logging capabilities

or if you have time and patience, build a linux server and put it between your PC and modem. there are apps on linux that will log everything as well
Old 05-24-08, 09:23 AM   #3
jonnyquest

I have a router, but didn't know it could do that. I just went into the router configuration and found it. Thanks!
Old 05-24-08, 11:05 AM   #4
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

the lights flashing at boot are most likely the RARP and etc. activity going on to configure and establish DHCP on the NIC...

not to worry there...

logging is always cool and a good idea though...

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 05-24-08, 01:48 PM   #5
jonnyquest

Well, I enabled logging on my router, and did some typical web stuff for a while, then decided to take a look at the log. The "Outgoing Log" is a long list of various IP addresses under column heading "Destination URL/IP". But the "Incoming Log" is empty, only column headings "Source IP" and "Destination Port Number" with nothing listed below, just a blank page. What am I missing? I would expect to see activity in both incoming and outgoing logs. My setup is DSLmodem-->router-->PC