Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-22-08, 05:02 PM   #1
Double Down

A couple basic questions about webcams ...

Hey everybody-

I don't know anything about webcams since I've never had any interest whatsoever in owning one.

However, my wife's cousin who lives in another country recently had twins and she's trying to convince my wife to buy a webcam so that we can see the twins.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anybody here could point me in the right direction with regards to these things. Here are some questions I have:

(1) Is there a particular brand and/or model that we should get?

(2) What do we need, other than the webcam, to use it? In other words, how do we "connect" with somebody else who has a webcam?

(3) Is there any cost associated with this, other than the cost of the webcam?

Any other issues that I need to consider before buying one?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-08, 05:33 PM   #2
2SwiFt29
Administrator

most messenger services like MSN, Yahoo, and Skype don't require any additional cost to webcam with someone..

in terms of which one is better, i have a Logitech Fusion and i have had no problems with it.. to be honest, i think Logitech cams are your best bet.. others are ok, but Logitech is easy to use.. all you need is a cam that connects through USB, install the program and driver that comes with it, and you will then be able to use the webcam.. however, the only thing is to check the requirements of the cam to make sure that your computer is capable of the requirements it asks for or else the resolution and speed will not work well..
Old 04-22-08, 05:39 PM   #3
Double Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SwiFt29
most messenger services like MSN, Yahoo, and Skype don't require any additional cost to webcam with someone..

in terms of which one is better, i have a Logitech Fusion and i have had no problems with it.. to be honest, i think Logitech cams are your best bet.. others are ok, but Logitech is easy to use.. all you need is a cam that connects through USB, install the program and driver that comes with it, and you will then be able to use the webcam.. however, the only thing is to check the requirements of the cam to make sure that your computer is capable of the requirements it asks for or else the resolution and speed will not work well..
Thanks. That seems pretty easy.

I took a look at the Logitech Fusion. Unless I was looking at the wrong one, it was $200+.

I doubt we'd be using it very often, so I'm not interested in spending much money on it. It looks like Amazon has a couple by Microsoft for about $30. Would those be sufficient for occasional use? I know image quality will be much lower than the $200+ model, but I'm ok with that too.
Old 04-22-08, 06:25 PM   #4
dvdhook

Just curious, does your wife's cousin already have a webcam? Or are you planning on buying one and sending it to her? I was wondering because if you just want to see their kids and they already have one, you don't need a webcam on your side.

I recently bought a webcam for the first time also. My sister had bought a laptop with a built-in webcam and she wanted to try video conferencing. So I got this one from buy.com:

http://www.buy.com/prod/logitech-lab...206229855.html

When I got it, they had a $15 rebate offer, so I paid about $9. The picture quality is average, but for that price I guess I can't complain. I'm not sure how often they have the rebate, but if you're interested, keep an eye on buy.com

Like the previous poster said, it was very simple to set up. I installed the drivers from the CD that came with the camera, then plugged the camera into the USB port. And then both me and my sister downloaded and installed Yahoo messenger. The chat window has a "Webcam" option in the menu. Once you select that option, the person you're chatting with will see a new window with the contents of your camera.

It was a novelty and I used it all the time the first few days. Now it's just sitting in my closet.
Old 04-22-08, 06:32 PM   #5
Double Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdhook
Just curious, does your wife's cousin already have a webcam? Or are you planning on buying one and sending it to her? I was wondering because if you just want to see their kids and they already have one, you don't need a webcam on your side.
Her cousin already has one. I didn't realize that both parties didn't need one. Good to know.

However, her cousin is trying to encourage us to buy one so that it can be more "interactive" and the twins can see us.

Quote:
I recently bought a webcam for the first time also. My sister had bought a laptop with a built-in webcam and she wanted to try video conferencing. So I got this one from buy.com:

http://www.buy.com/prod/logitech-lab...206229855.html

When I got it, they had a $15 rebate offer, so I paid about $9. The picture quality is average, but for that price I guess I can't complain. I'm not sure how often they have the rebate, but if you're interested, keep an eye on buy.com

Like the previous poster said, it was very simple to set up. I installed the drivers from the CD that came with the camera, then plugged the camera into the USB port. And then both me and my sister downloaded and installed Yahoo messenger. The chat window has a "Webcam" option in the menu. Once you select that option, the person you're chatting with will see a new window with the contents of your camera.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on Buy as well as Amazon.

Quote:
It was a novelty and I used it all the time the first few days. Now it's just sitting in my closet.
That's exactly what I'm concerned about, and exactly why I'm looking for one for around $30.
Old 04-22-08, 06:53 PM   #6
10-7

Do you own a digital camera? If so, you might want to check and see if it will function as a webcam. I have a cheap Vivitar and it will work as a webcam. I don't know anything about them either and have never used mine as a webcam, but it might be worth taking a look at your manual if you already have a digital camera. You can't beat free.
Old 04-23-08, 08:18 AM   #7
bahgee

If you are interested in the other party hearing you speak, then make sure the cam you buy has a built in mic.
Old 04-23-08, 12:44 PM   #8
2SwiFt29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Down
Thanks. That seems pretty easy.

I took a look at the Logitech Fusion. Unless I was looking at the wrong one, it was $200+.

I doubt we'd be using it very often, so I'm not interested in spending much money on it. It looks like Amazon has a couple by Microsoft for about $30. Would those be sufficient for occasional use? I know image quality will be much lower than the $200+ model, but I'm ok with that too.
i have the older version of the Fusion and it was a lot cheaper back then.. i'm sure buying an older model wouldn't hurt..