Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-09-08, 03:09 PM   #1
DVD.guy
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How do I insert Word doc in Excel?

I'm hoping you can give me some insight into how I can insert a Word document into an Excel workbook. The document I'm trying to insert is about 15 pages long. This is what I've tried so far. First, I tried inserting a Microsoft Word object. However, it only shows the first page (not good, need to show the whole document). Second, tried doing a copy/paste but all formatting is lost (need to keep formatting).

How can I keep the document the same while inserted in Excel? Also, it will need to print out when printing the workbook.

Thanks for your help in advance.

-DVD.guy
Old 04-09-08, 05:23 PM   #2
rennervision
DVD Talk Special Edition

Funny, I've done the opposite - inserted an Excel spreadsheet into a Word document as an object, but I've never tried it the other way around. You can always add a hyperlink in the spreadsheet so it automatically opens the Word document when you click the link, but I assume that's not quite what you're looking to do.
“It will soon be possible to create a new ‘original’ negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires…. In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be ‘replaced’ by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988
Old 04-09-08, 05:28 PM   #3
rennervision
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm, I was just able to do it in Excel. Didn't have any trouble with it only showing the first page either - all 6 pages were there.

I went to Insert > Object > Create From File > Browse [to the file in question] > changed the file name to whatever I wanted to call it > checked "Display as Icon" and then clicked OK.
“It will soon be possible to create a new ‘original’ negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires…. In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be ‘replaced’ by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten." - George Lucas, 1988
Old 04-09-08, 07:08 PM   #4
danwiz
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm surprised that nobody has asked the obvious question: Why would you want to insert a 15 page MS-Word document into an MS-Excel spreadsheet? This sounds extremely weird to me. I mean - Excel was made for playing with numbers and Word was made for playing with words (text). I don't know what your needs are here, but it just sounds extremely weird. Sounds like what some people I work with would try to do because they don't know how to create Tables in Word. So, some explanation/insight would be nice.
Old 04-09-08, 09:15 PM   #5
bahgee

It sounds like the OP wants to insert 15 pages of text into a cell and have it print that way. I'm not sure that is possible.
Old 04-10-08, 08:13 AM   #6
DVD.guy
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah it's weird, I'm actually trying to help out a friend do that.

It's a huge spreadsheet and apparently part of this, is the word doc. Anyway, they want to have it all in one file rather than having to distribute 2 files.

rennervision, doesn't that just create a link to the file? I need it to display within the spreadsheet.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-10-08, 09:04 AM   #7
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

You could make a giant text box and put all the text in there. If there's a ton of formatting then it may come out a bit wonky, but if it's just a lot of plain text you should be fine. You can adjust how it prints by using Print Preview and dragging the blue boundaries to tell Excel where pages start and end.

Honestly, if you are distributing something printed, you're best off printing both and just putting them together. If it's not editable and sent by email, combine them into a PDF (using something like a PDF Writer and PDF Merge-Split).

If it's meant to be edited, it's easier to edit Word stuff in Word and Excel stuff in Excel. Send them together as a ZIP file.

Or, have someone take a few hours and place the Word file into Excel manually. This is easiest down the road but takes a lot of work at first.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 04-10-08, 09:22 AM   #8
DVD.guy
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As I feared, no easy way.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
Old 04-10-08, 05:26 PM   #9
Budman2006

Maybe I missed something, couldn't you just paste the text on another sheet in the same file?
Old 04-11-08, 04:37 AM   #10
danwiz
DVD Talk Special Edition

Create PDF's of both of the files and then combine them into 1 PDF file. Easy as pie with Adobe PDF Creator.
Old 04-11-08, 09:30 AM   #11
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman2006
Maybe I missed something, couldn't you just paste the text on another sheet in the same file?
I tried to do that with a document that I would want in Excel but the formatting gets completely screwed up.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 04-17-08, 09:02 AM   #12
DVD.guy
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Exactly, The Bus.

I like the PDF idea!
Old 12-16-11, 05:04 PM   #13
fleenor69

Re: How do I insert Word doc in Excel?

For the people that don't get why this is important here are the reasons.
I set up a complex work sheet that works as a proposal for my business. It allows me to make a large excel document that looks like a typical excel worksheet with hundreds of calculations and fields to allow me to see the cost of sales, if it's taxable, does this customer get a discount and at what percentage, and what my bottom line profit is along with my bottom line percentage after all costs and labor. Like I said complex.

Now I port only certain bits of this info to a second excel sheet. A sheet that looks more like a typical word document void of all the "cost" "profit" "labor" etc info that the customer has no business seeing.

Now on this second excel worksheet page that now looks clean I also placed all the typical contract language ( WORD FILE ). I copied the words and inserted them on page two thru four of the second work sheet.

Now why have I done this an how does it work.

After I place all the calculation in, I got to the "second worksheet and hit PRINT to PDF.

See it's a one button solution and I get a very professional looking document, with all my contract language on it along with a date and signature line.

No cutting, no pasting, no create pdf, no combining two separate files etc. etc. etc.
I made it idiot proof so anyone in my office can produce amazing looking proposals.

Oh sure we can all sit here ans say, convert this, pdf that, port this, cut this, paste that and you have what you want. What about the people who's eye's glaze over at the mention on cutting, pasting, converting to pdf

There now you know why someone would want to do this. It makes for a ONE BUTTON solution.
Old 11-15-13, 03:40 PM   #14
katelynn364

I know the last comment on here was from 2011, but since I was searching for an answer for this very question today, I figured I would comment in case someone else comes across this and is looking for answers.

I too wanted to insert the contents of a large Microsoft Word document (19 pages to be exact) into an Excel document. The reason I needed to do this is because it was part of a policies and procedures/training information Excel document with individual tabs for various separate but related topics. Instead of having numerous Word documents, they (the powers that be in the work place) wanted one easy-to-tab-through-Excel-document. Since I already had these notes in a Word Document, I didn't want to start from scratch all over again, but rather just copy and paste from Word into Excel. I wanted to keep the formatting, the links, and the pictures from the original Word document. I didn't want to link back to the word document either.

I did something similar to what rennervision did with a slight change. I went to Insert > Object > from the Object Type: list, I selected Microsoft Word Document, then click into the "Create from File" tab > Browse, select file you want pasted in the Excel sheet and click the OK button. Upon initially viewing the information inserted, it looks like only part of it is there, but if you click anywhere within the data that was just inserted, the entire functionality of the Word document shows up (including the ribbon) and you can edit the file. I'm not sure if this fits the OP's original need exactly, but it was the solution that worked for my (seemingly) similar dilemma.
Old 11-15-13, 05:05 PM   #15
Dan
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Look at that! I've actually been wondering how to do this, and never found an "easy" way. This method posted by our cool new member katelynn364 actually works great.
Good work, new person!
Old 12-13-13, 07:30 AM   #16
fp.harikumar

Thanks for sharing
Old 12-13-13, 04:44 PM   #17
danwiz
DVD Talk Special Edition

WOW! That's pretty cool, thanks!