Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-06-08, 11:11 AM   #1
DJLinus
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Help! iTunes is eating up all of my hard drive space!

Sorry for YAIT, but I need help...and fast. Lately I've noticed that iTunes is putting a series of files in my iTunes folder (located in the My Music folder). As of now there are 62 .tmp files ("iT 1.tmp" through "iT 61.tmp" as well as one labelled "iT.tmp"). Yesterday there were only around 40 of these files.

Now, normally I wouldn't be so distressed, but each one is roughly 23 mb in size, except for the non-numbered file, which is 18.4 mb. Disk space on my hard drive is low enough as it is, but it's pretty bad now that these files have appeared.

ARGHHHH!!! I just got another one of these files while I've been typing this, bringing the total up to 63 of the suckers.

Is it imperative that I keep these files? Can I simply delete them?

Maybe some useful tidbits of info: periodically when I start iTunes, I get an error saying that the library can't be saved. Also, except for podcasts, I keep all my music on my external hard drive, which is not always connected to the laptop. I manually update my iPod and send files to last.fm using auidoPod.

I'm running iTunes 7.6.1.9 and this has been going on since the previous version (I have not yet updated to the latest version that was put out very recently). As for my OS, I'm using XP.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I considered just reinstalling iTunes, but I hope it doesn't come to that since it'd be a big pain to reload all of my music again - 14, 903 songs - as well as resubscribe to all of my podcasts. I don't mind just deleting these .tmp files every now and then.
"Food snobs believe that anything created in Europe is inherently superior to the American-made equivalent. Allow me to explode that fallacy with these words: the 1983 Renault Alliance." - Michael J. Nelson

Not that you care...

Last edited by DJLinus; 04-06-08 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-06-08, 12:35 PM   #2
Draven
DVD Talk Legend

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....32480&#6932480
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....94261&#6794261

Looks like it has something to do with last.fm...
Old 04-06-08, 06:49 PM   #3
mndtrp
DVD Talk Legend

I found it to be a problem with McAfee. When Itunes updates your library, it creates a temp file the same size as your library. McAfee was scanning that file, so Itunes couldn't delete it when it was finished. I had to make McAfee stop scanning those files.

I don't use LastFM.
Old 04-15-08, 10:50 AM   #4
DJLinus
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the input. I deleted the last.fm plug-in, which hasn't been working for quite some time now anyway (it was actually from their AudioScrobbler days). So far, I haven't gotten any of these temp files since shortly after I made the original post and I haven't been using iTunes any less frequently. That's a good sign.

As far as my anti-virus goes, I use AVG. I'll have to check to see if I can have iTunes skipped with that program.

I guess it's safe to just delete these files. I can live with doing that periodically. I just don't know what this happened all of the sudden.
"Food snobs believe that anything created in Europe is inherently superior to the American-made equivalent. Allow me to explode that fallacy with these words: the 1983 Renault Alliance." - Michael J. Nelson

Not that you care...