Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-06-07, 09:28 AM   #1
dick_grayson
DVD Talk Legend

Need recommendation on B&W laser printer in $200-$300 range

Title says it all. There's a bunch out there but I don't want to get stuck with a shitty one. So......any recommendations?

Thanks
Old 12-06-07, 11:49 AM   #2
jonw9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have had this one for about 2 years, and only use it occasionally for printing coupons or Mapquest directions, and it still on the original toner. The only downfall is that the pages come out slightly curled. I think I got it for a bit less than this after rebate.

http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalo...uctId=ARS22864

For almost twics as much, this one has built in networking:
http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalo...uctId=ARS22865
Old 12-06-07, 12:25 PM   #3
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

What kind of volume are you printing?

I like the HP 1022 for roughly $200

actually here is it for $159

http://www.entercomputers.com/product.asp?pf_id=Q5912A

It can handle a fairly hefty volume of printing per month.
Old 12-06-07, 02:51 PM   #4
dvdsteve2000
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I have a question about laser printers. Do they 'dry out' like an inkjet does? I go through spurts where I don't print anything for a month or two and sometimes that kills my inkjet cartridges.
Old 12-06-07, 03:03 PM   #5
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

steve - lasers do not have the 'dryout' problem, but laser cartridges do have a shelf life (usually in years) that can more affected by high humidy.
Old 12-06-07, 04:06 PM   #6
tlwizard
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been using the HP P2015DN and it's amazing. The DN model is close to $400 but if you go without the duplexing and the networking it's under $300.

Edit: Actually, on Amazon it looks like the 2015 with duplexing (2015D) is cheaper than the 2015 with no options.

Last edited by tlwizard; 12-06-07 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-07-07, 01:28 PM   #7
printerati
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We picked up a refurbished Brother MFC-7820 for $150 shipped from Office Depot last year, and we've been very pleased with it so far. (We also needed a fax, hence the reason we went with a multifunction.) It's 20 ppm, networkable, and PC/Mac-compatible, but has no duplexer, only one paper tray, and its RAM is fixed at 32 MB. Office Depot seems to have them available at this price every few months.

I should note that I don't print or scan anything too detailed/complex on it since I work at a printing company, and have access to much higher-end machines.
Old 12-07-07, 07:05 PM   #8
BeanDip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG
What kind of volume are you printing?

I like the HP 1022 for roughly $200

actually here is it for $159

http://www.entercomputers.com/product.asp?pf_id=Q5912A

It can handle a fairly hefty volume of printing per month.
We had three of these at our office and ditched them. They print great but they go through toner like a kid eating candy.

We replaced then with the 2015P series and are much happier. Yes it costs more at first but overall it ends up being cheaper because we are not constantly replacing toner.
Old 12-10-07, 09:31 AM   #9
dick_grayson
DVD Talk Legend

thanks for the replies. this would be for printing menus. a copier or paper place would do the color at the top and then the menus would be printed in b&w below. I'd guess one hundred per day. PLus other random business printings....
Old 12-10-07, 09:37 AM   #10
al_bundy
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG
steve - lasers do not have the 'dryout' problem, but laser cartridges do have a shelf life (usually in years) that can more affected by high humidy.

only problem i ever had with HP's was with refurb cartridges. one time i got a tip from a tech to use only HP branded toner and it was OK from there. and no, this guy didn't sell them to us.
Old 12-10-07, 09:51 AM   #11
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanDip
overall it ends up being cheaper because we are not constantly replacing toner.
Depends on the discounts you get I forget some people pay retail, so that may be a valid concern here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy
only problem i ever had with HP's was with refurb cartridges. one time i got a tip from a tech to use only HP branded toner and it was OK from there. and no, this guy didn't sell them to us.
I would agree, don't use refilled toners for any printer newer than a HP Laserjet III

We buy all our toners direct from HP in part of our buying agreement and discount level. We guarentee so much volume per year and in exchange we get a dicount plan (which most times means free printers).
Old 12-10-07, 10:18 AM   #12
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

dick: Definitely do not get a multi function, the printing speeds on those are usually pretty slow (at your price range).

I have a Brother HL-5150. It looks like the 5250 is the current model. With built-in networking it comes in on the low end of your budget. I highly, highly recommend it. It can print on both sides, etc.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 12-10-07, 11:30 AM   #13
Kevin Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bus
I have a Brother HL-5150. It looks like the 5250 is the current model. With built-in networking it comes in on the low end of your budget. I highly, highly recommend it. It can print on both sides, etc.
I got a 5250DN a few weeks ago and am mostly (but not completely) happy. The network and duplex is great. The duplex is a little funny; after it prints the first side, the sheet comes mostly out, then it gets pulled back in, and the printer prints the other side.

My one gripe so far is it seems to have an occasional feed issue. It fails to pull the paper from the tray, and then the paper jam lights up. Then you have to go through the motions as if you are clearing a jam (i.e. opening the front and the paper tray and closing them). Its only happened a few times, so its not a terrible annoyance, just a minor one.
Old 12-10-07, 02:18 PM   #14
stevevt
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips
The duplex is a little funny; after it prints the first side, the sheet comes mostly out, then it gets pulled back in, and the printer prints the other side.
I've seen a lot of duplex printers; they all work this way.
Old 12-10-07, 03:56 PM   #15
fumanstan
DVD Talk Hero

We've been using HP 1320n's as well as the more recent 2015's. Work pretty well.

VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL
Old 12-10-07, 07:32 PM   #16
Kevin Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevevt
I've seen a lot of duplex printers; they all work this way.
I've only seen a few duplex printers: The HP8100 (which is about twice the size of the Brother 5250), to the Xerox Workcenter Pro (which is also a full-size copier), and neither of them do that.