Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-20-07, 03:05 PM   #1
Tommy Boy29

Opinions about computer thinking of buying

I normally build my own computers (been doing so for past 8 years or so) but with computer prices they way they are, I'm looking to just get a cheap system with a good processor and decent memory and then upgrade the other components later.

Went to Best Buy today and they have an Acer computer model MT500a (specs here) for a pretty good deal that has a lot of the basic stuff (good processor speed & memory) that I want. Curious what people's opinions are regarding this computer and about Acer computers in general. Haven't worked with them that much and curious if they'd be equivalent to an Emachines, HP, or Gateway.

Also, if someone can recommend another computer around $500, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 07-20-07, 04:54 PM   #2
zuffy
DVD Talk Legend

I would rather own a Dell than an Acer. Personally, I feel the Dell is less proprietary.
Old 07-20-07, 05:44 PM   #3
Tommy Boy29

Yeah, I like Dells too, but I can't price one below $650 that has the same options as the Acer. I just was wondering if people had heard horrible things or had horrible experiences with Acers.
Old 07-20-07, 05:52 PM   #4
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy29
Yeah, I like Dells too, but I can't price one below $650 that has the same options as the Acer. I just was wondering if people had heard horrible things or had horrible experiences with Acers.
yes the failures of the Acer brand are the stuff of legend...

that is one brand i wouldn't consider buying under any circumstance...

for a budget PC?... i don't know...

Gateway bought Emachines... a friend bought one that has ran very well for well over a year now... ran him a tad over $400 with some of the rebates and discounts at i think office max or somehting...

though not a 'smoking' configuration... it had a PCI express slot to put a better video card than the NVIDIA that was on the motherboard... and needed a little memory... but it's been bullet proof...

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 07-20-07, 07:19 PM   #5
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend

Acer is below average (slightly better than what emachine was before gateway bought them)

Check out some offering from Dell, then run great specials and for $500-$600 you can do better.

look at obese wallet you can also find some good deals there on BYO equipment and dell deals

more dell deals at these
gotapex.com
cheapstingybargains.com

if you have a little time, you can find a good deal
Old 07-20-07, 07:31 PM   #6
twikoff
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy29
there are deals listed on the deal sites almost daily with new systems cheaper than that
try bensbargains.net or techbargains.com