Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-11-07, 08:36 PM   #1
Chrisedge
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FTP Problem...

I have had several sites over the years and always FTP'ed using both programs (CuteFTP, WS-FTP, etc...) and using IE for just a drag and drop. Sometime ago, my FTP stuff stopped working from home, same programs, settings ftp links, etc...would work fine from work, just not home. I did get new router a while back but I can't remember if it was not working before that. Looked in all the settings of the router (Belkin PreN) and still can't figure it out. Tried other cpu's on the network (both wired and wireless) and still doesn't work. Even jumped on my neighbors network just to see if it would work and it doesn't...(Wife's laptop)....

Any tests I can do or ideas?
DVDTalk Member #1758 since: 06-09-99
I Hate Blockbuster chrisedge.com My first post I can find here
Old 04-12-07, 12:52 AM   #2
Ph8te

Do a direct connection without the router......If it still doesnt work something could be worng Firewall ect that is blacking your access......Those are jsut my 1st thoughts though.....
Old 04-12-07, 09:21 AM   #3
GHackmann

You probably need to turn on Passive FTP in your FTP client (or, if you can't find that setting in your favorite FTP client, switch to one that has it). For reasons too complicated to discuss here, FTP doesn't get along with NAT routers unless you turn Passive mode on.

Alternatively, if your host supports SFTP, use that. It avoids the NAT problem, is far more secure than FTP, and is simply a better protocol overall.

And it goes without saying that connecting your PC directly to the Internet without a firewall is tremendously stupid, unless you're 100% sure that you know what you're doing.
Old 04-12-07, 11:04 AM   #4
Chrisedge
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thx...I will try the direct hookup (quickly and not for long) just to eliminate the router as a problem tonight...I will post the results...(I'm pretty sure I tried passive)
Old 04-12-07, 08:26 PM   #5
Chrisedge
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, unplugged the router, it worked fine without the router. I plugged it back in and it seems OK. THEN after maybe 5 minutes it stops working with the router in place. (I use Windows Folder Sharing for my Xbox360 which seems to take a little while to start up)

Tried Passive, it made no difference.

So then I tried shutting down my Windows Folder Sharing with the router in place. Still made no difference. Anytime the router is hooked up, FTP works for the first few minutes the CPU is on, (or a fresh connection is made) and then it dies.

So, I disconnected the router again, and have been trying it out for sometime, and it works fine. So it's either something that starts up after 3-5 minutes my system is on AND is interfering with the router, or it's just something in the router that starts up 3-5 minutes after a reboot and interferes...PLEASE HELP!!!

My router is a Belkin F5D8230-4