Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-21-07, 07:17 PM   #1
MitzEclipse
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Migrating ALL Yahoo Mail to Gmail?

Hi All,

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm thinking of migrating to Gmail. The dealbreaker is the issues i'm having with Yahoo sending mails real time to my Blackberry.

Is there a service/program/etc which will copy every single yahoo mail i have and send them to a specified gmail account?

I know i can forward emails no problem, but would like to transfer the whole lot so i don't have to swap back and forth.

I've done a search but all the returns i get are how to setup and import contacts.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-21-07, 08:14 PM   #2
ChiTownAbs, Inc
DVD Talk Legend

Yes.

http://www.marklyon.org/gmail/default.htm

I about downloaded about 3-4k e-mails from squirrelmail to Thunderbird, then uploaded to Gmail using this program.

Very easy to use. The biggest problem is that the date that the e-mail was sent or received is lost, but it is in the message header.

I absolutely LOVE Gmail. The one problem I was having with squirrelmail is that it could not handle the inbox with 3,000 e-mails and would take FOREVER to load. Gmail can handle that data very seamlessly.

Also, if you have your own domain, consider Gmail for your domain. It's a free service for most individuals (there is a pay feature as well that has some bells and whistles, but was not worth the $50 per user cost)
Old 03-21-07, 08:22 PM   #3
MitzEclipse
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Chi. I've been playing around with Gmail, but the yahoo interface is much more smooth. Example being the address/contacts. Gmails contacts vs. yahoo is no comparison... but i'll give it a go for now because yahoo's problem not delivering email to my blackberry is a deal breaker!
Old 03-21-07, 08:23 PM   #4
MitzEclipse
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also, how did the marklyon gmail transfer handle emails in folders of yahoo? did it create labels on gmail?
Old 03-21-07, 09:36 PM   #5
ChiTownAbs, Inc
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, you know, that is another downfall. No ability to create tags dynamically. I had to tag everything by hand (or just created a few rules in Gmail)
Old 03-21-07, 09:39 PM   #6
ChiTownAbs, Inc
DVD Talk Legend

I will admit that Gmail is definately lacking in a lot of features like ability to set default fonts and colors, ability to color code reponses (like Outlook has reponses that go out in blue), custom dictionary for spell check.

But the ability to host my domain's e-mail at Gmail was the cincher. Plus, the last host was habitually slow on delivering and accessing e-mail. I would sometimes hit the mail server and it would take >15 minutes to just see what e-mails I have.
Old 03-22-07, 04:18 AM   #7
MitzEclipse
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the info - the inability to left and drop my mail is gonna be a painful migration to gmail... I'll play around with Marklyon Gmail and see how it works though - thanks again. The more i use gmail the more i come back to Yahoo though. I may have to pony up and just pay for BES for blackberry mail delivery.
Old 03-22-07, 09:56 AM   #8
namja
Stealth Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Also, if you have your own domain, consider Gmail for your domain. It's a free service for most individuals (there is a pay feature as well that has some bells and whistles, but was not worth the $50 per user cost)
Hey Abs. That is very cool. I'll definitely try that on one of my domains. Thanks.

life in high definition
Old 03-22-07, 11:33 AM   #9
ChiTownAbs, Inc
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by namja
Hey Abs. That is very cool. I'll definitely try that on one of my domains. Thanks.
Shoot me an e-mail if you want me to setup a dummy e-mail account on one domain if you want to take a look, but really it's the same look and feel of Gmail.