Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-12-07, 03:11 PM   #1
UAIOE
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,475
Better Anti-virus program AVG vs Trend Micro?

My Norton is close to running out (thankfully) and I have decided to look into either AVG or Trend Micro anti-virus to replace it.

Aside from AVG being free, which would be better?
__________________
Oh I'm serious, baby. I am Yahoo Serious. I'm Serious FM. Welcome to the world serious of seriousness sponsored by Honey Nut Seerioes. - Jeff Winger
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 04:04 PM   #2
jfoobar
DVD Talk Hero
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 32,759
Even among the three most prominent free AV scanners, AVG has been and continues to be the worst based on its ability to accurately detect malicious code. AntiVir and AVAST are both better, with AntiVir being the better choice due to its traditionally lower false-positive rates. In fact, AntiVir has proven itself to be one of the very best scanners period, free or commercial, in many recent tests.

Among commercial scanners, Kaspersky and F-Secure virtually always do well. I personally run F-Secure at home due partially to their excellent products and partially because they are just a great company. Being in the Infosec business myself, their blog is one of my favorite reads.

Here are the results of the last two comprehensive tests from Andreas Cleminti (av-comparatives.org):

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seite...e/report11.pdf
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seite...e/report13.pdf

Here is the PC World summary article on the most recent test:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12...s/article.html

Not sure why Clementi doesn't include Trend Micro/PC-Cillin in his tests. From tests in the past, like those run in 2004-2005 over at www.av-test.org, TM always did very well.

Now for some personal experience, FWIW:

A big part of my job is identifying and analyzing malicious code. One of the tools I have at my disposal is an internally-maintained multi-package AV scanner similar to the ones available online at places like www.virustotal.com and www.jotti.org. To be honest, most of what I end up evaluating is Trojan-installing executable files and Trojans themselves. However, in my testing over the past couple of years, AVG consistently fails to detect at an even reasonable rate. Kaspersky does as well as or better than anyone, but that success rate is only about 75% on objects that are known-malicious.

It should be noted that AV in general is less effective at keeping you "safe" online than it used to be.
__________________
If you canít say something nice, donít say something nice.

Last edited by jfoobar; 03-12-07 at 04:10 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 12:25 AM   #3
UAIOE
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
UAIOE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: LV-426
Posts: 6,475
So what would you say is the best home anti-virus program, F-Secure?
__________________
Oh I'm serious, baby. I am Yahoo Serious. I'm Serious FM. Welcome to the world serious of seriousness sponsored by Honey Nut Seerioes. - Jeff Winger
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 10:56 AM   #4
Chrisedge
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 6,035
I'm running AVG free mainly since it doesn't bog down my system. I do have Webroot's new Spy Sweeper and AntiVirus (Sophos) sitting here. I don't want to pay and don't want my systems to slow down. Would AntiVir be better than the webroot software?
__________________
DVDTalk Member #1758 since: 06-09-99
I Hate Blockbuster chrisedge.com My first post I can find here
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 01:11 PM   #5
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 15,713
- round 34 of my AV tool can kick your AV tool's butt

Try the free AOL tool, it is Kaspersky minus a few features.

http://www.activevirusshield.com/ant...eav/index.adp?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 02:09 PM   #6
Shazam
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 8,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG
- round 34 of my AV tool can kick your AV tool's butt

Try the free AOL tool, it is Kaspersky minus a few features.

http://www.activevirusshield.com/ant...eav/index.adp?
Whoo hoo! Buh bye Avast!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 11:26 PM   #7
Shazam
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 8,565
Stupid AVS won't install on my computer. Stupid piece of AOL poo.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-07, 11:33 PM   #8
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Doucheville, OR
Posts: 39,646
I've been running AVG for over 2 years without any viruses or computer problems. Soooo, not sure why AVG is so bad. But that's just me. I still use it in conjunction with the OS's firewall and exceptions.
__________________
Blu-ray Titles: ~546 | HD DVD Titles: ~323

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 12:56 AM   #9
Shazam
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 8,565
Whoo hoo! Got AVS to work. Had to move the install program to a directory with acceptable characters.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 08:55 AM   #10
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 15,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I've been running AVG for over 2 years without any viruses or computer problems.
I am sorry, but I see this posted at least 1000 times in these types of threads and I am not singling you out, however, this comment means absolutely noting to anyone reading it and trying to decide on an anti virus program for themselves.

It is possible your machine *IS* infected with something and you just don't know it. It is also possible that MY machine is infected and I just don't know it. Therefore stating you are virus free because of XYZ Anti-Virus tool is meaningless to anyone and everyone that reads it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 11:41 AM   #11
covenant
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
covenant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Smyrna TN
Posts: 3,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I've been running AVG for over 2 years without any viruses or computer problems. Soooo, not sure why AVG is so bad.
Same here, we have Anti-Malware installed on over 20 PCs at work without a hitch. We briefly dabbled with PCcillan but it was absolute crap for spyware. Avast is really nice and we're looking at their Server and Professional editions.
__________________
Typical fucking yank, happy to flag wave and spout jingoistic freedom style bullshit about being proud to be an American, but pissed off when anyone else shows they are proud of their culture or heritage.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 01:25 PM   #12
Altimus Prime
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 2,239
Any thoughts on that Active Security Monitor that's also at the aol site?

And - for what it's worth - I use AVG, AdAware and Spybot - and have never had an identified virus or related problem. And I've used them to remove infections from other computers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 09:03 PM   #13
jfoobar
DVD Talk Hero
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 32,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG
I am sorry, but I see this posted at least 1000 times in these types of threads and I am not singling you out, however, this comment means absolutely noting to anyone reading it and trying to decide on an anti virus program for themselves.

It is possible your machine *IS* infected with something and you just don't know it. It is also possible that MY machine is infected and I just don't know it. Therefore stating you are virus free because of XYZ Anti-Virus tool is meaningless to anyone and everyone that reads it.
Yup, and for the 1000th time I snickered when I read it. It should be added to the definitive list of logical fallacies as the "Antivirus Fallacy."
__________________
If you canít say something nice, donít say something nice.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 09:07 PM   #14
Altimus Prime
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 2,239
OK, I'm running the active security monitor.

My score: 89, Excellent.

Firewall: Excellent
Virus protection: Excellent
Spyware protection: Excellent
Windows & browser: Excellent
Wireless security: NA
PC Utilities: Poor (???)
P2P Software: Excellent

Ran it a second time and got a 93. The breakdown was the same.

PC Utilities is coming up as poor because it says a pc optimization program is not detected on this pc, and a file backup program is not detected on this pc. Hmm.... ???

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 03-14-07 at 09:18 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-07, 11:40 PM   #15
DVD Polizei
DVD Talk Hero
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Doucheville, OR
Posts: 39,646
ASV is highly questionable. My Firewall, Virus, and Windows & Browser rate Excellent, but since I don't have "PC Utilities" or "Spyware Protection", I get a 72.

ASV says to install MULTIPLE spyware apps to "further prevent infection". That is just nuts and is asking for MORE computer problems.
__________________
Blu-ray Titles: ~546 | HD DVD Titles: ~323

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 07:53 AM   #16
namja
Stealth Moderator
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: High Definition
Posts: 24,879
My roommate has two computers. No anti-virus on either.
(1) 6 year old PC (it has Pentium II processor): "I don't go to porn sites on that one. I only check e-mail and ESPN and stuff, so I don't need anti-virus."
(2) New Apple MacBook: "It's a Mac. I don't need anti-virus on a Mac, right?"
__________________

life in high definition
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 08:17 AM   #17
Mopower
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,725
It's funny because no matter who you talk to any type of antivirus program is going to be the worse one or the best one. Today it's AVG. Supposedly. Go to a different computer forum and ask the same question and all these "computer experts" will chime in about how AVG is the best and how the ones recommended here are the worse. It's like asking what kind of blank DVD media to buy. I've used Symantec Corp and AVG over the past 5 years and have had zero viruses. I even use those online scanners and they find nothing. So it's not AVG not telling me about a virus.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 08:32 AM   #18
namja
Stealth Moderator
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: High Definition
Posts: 24,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinS
Here are the results of the last two comprehensive tests from Andreas Cleminti (av-comparatives.org):

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seite...e/report11.pdf
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seite...e/report13.pdf

Here is the PC World summary article on the most recent test:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12...s/article.html
Interesting stuff. I guess I'll try AntiVir on my computer and see how that runs.
__________________

life in high definition
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 09:37 AM   #19
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 15,713
I reocmmended the AOl link as good alternative free tool that is using the base Kaspersky engine for detection. It is however missing some very good features the real Kaspersky includes.

As the the ratings from the secutiry monitor, yeah I would even waste my time running it and I never suggested anyone run it.


Antivir will slow your computer down. It's good, but requires resources and since most people complain about symantec for the same reason, I thought I would mention it here.


Virus creation has run a course from kids having fun and trying to reak havoc to organized crime trying to turn a profit from it. Now that serious players with resources are in the game, the AV companies are losing and they know it.

My bigger point is that no AV tool can protect you to the point where you can claim with certainty that you have had no infections while using it. Multiple scanners help, but there are things out there that no AV tool can detect and I wish I didn't know that to be a fact.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 10:05 AM   #20
bretski
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Fort Fun, Colorado
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG
Virus creation has run a course from kids having fun and trying to reak havoc to organized crime trying to turn a profit from it. Now that serious players with resources are in the game, the AV companies are losing and they know it.

My bigger point is that no AV tool can protect you to the point where you can claim with certainty that you have had no infections while using it. Multiple scanners help, but there are things out there that no AV tool can detect and I wish I didn't know that to be a fact.
Amen to that. Every time I get a new email from SANS, I want to curl up in the fetal position and cry...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 01:11 PM   #21
Altimus Prime
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG
As the the ratings from the security monitor, yeah I would even waste my time running it and I never suggested anyone run it.
Well, I did ask for thoughts on the value of using that, but no one said anything.

I'm going to uninstall it, because it's annoying.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 04:30 PM   #22
4KRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 15,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretski
Amen to that. Every time I get a new email from SANS, I want to curl up in the fetal position and cry...
Try living it I recently went through a situation where by complete accident we found machines infected with "something".

It was ugly and to this day Symantec can not reliably detect the something and most likely never will.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 06:08 PM   #23
bretski
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Fort Fun, Colorado
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG
Try living it I recently went through a situation where by complete accident we found machines infected with "something".

It was ugly and to this day Symantec can not reliably detect the something and most likely never will.
Been there, done that. When I was sys admin @ an int'l studies grad school, we had a couple of Russian profs who always found a way to pick up some gnarly beasties. I finally resorted to keeping imaged HDDs in my desk just for them...

Diverting back to topic, we used F-Prot/F-Secure back then, and it is a damn good product. I was on a 1st name basis with a few of their techs. Still use it on my home machine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 10:13 PM   #24
jfoobar
DVD Talk Hero
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 32,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretski
Amen to that. Every time I get a new email from SANS, I want to curl up in the fetal position and cry...
You want to cry because...Steve Northcutt is such a money-grubbing whore?
__________________
If you canít say something nice, donít say something nice.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-07, 09:41 AM   #25
bretski
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Fort Fun, Colorado
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinS
You want to cry because...Steve Northcutt is such a money-grubbing whore?
yeah, something like that...
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.

Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.